Author Topic: Marble wristrests - members input needed ( sample pics posted)  (Read 5970 times)

Offline bazemk1979

Here is my Facebook album of my work: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116616081691233.15444.100000285240828&type=3

Hi guys I will be making few marble wrist rests as a mockup thingy and if there is plenty of interest for them then GB will be in order and I'll be shopping for marble prices and will post pics in the GB thread so we can get voting on which marble people like most.

As for now I will be making some wrist rests and after they are done I'll post the pics here, once when they are done these first wrist rests  will be auctioned and they money of the auction will be donated towards GH and another member who lost his job and needs help, forgot his name but bunnylake is trying to help him out also.

These wrist rest will be made out of travertine that I have left in the warehouse, its a pretty large piece since I was using to custom cut it to make it fit on top of the shower seat. I believe the thickness is around 5/8"-3/4", I will cut the pieces with my wet saw and then I will round the sides and polish them on 3 levels.

I plan on making TKL,104, tenkeypad and 1 for my Razer exact mat X control

If this turns into GB I can make custom ones too, such as IBM 104, IBM 122's they will most likely be priced little higher than the regular 104 size.

Anyways the width I plan on making them is 4", so I need input on sizes for these items:

- Tenkeypad - length? ( waiting on input for this one... any body has ten keypad that can measure it up in length for me?)
- Cherry 1800 - 15-7/8"
- Poker,GH60,pure - 11-1/2"
- Leopold FC660C - 12-3/4"

Will have this post updated accordingly, would of have the samples done tomorrow but I ordered wrong sanding pads, new order is on its way and should be in sometime Monday-Tuesday, planning on adding small clear rubber stoppers on the back of them.

************ UPDATE - Made the samples***************

Samples are made, took pics and will post them once when done with typing this. I thought I had thicker travertine but turned out its the one that's 1/2, so the height its not up there. As previously I mentioned I would not want to do these out of travertine, even though they are nice and thick travertine pieces out there that are strong its still not a true/pure stone dug out of the mountains. Travertine is just a sand from the beach mixed with epoxy liquid and poured in big slab molds and then cut with rail saw.

while its easier to shape then travertine, its texture is very inconsistent, so the outcome of inconsistent strentght texture trough out the piece will give problems to achieve perfection when rounding and polishing the edges.

As you start with the flow of polishing you have 2-3" of the edges requiring X amount of speed on the grinder and X amount of pressure applied and then the other couple of inches if its softer I end up digging in more. I know they are hand made, but inconsistent strength of the material will only keep me avay to achieve perfection. So travertine is out the picture and has to be pure marble or granite that will be 1" thick so we don't have to be inserting any rubber feet under it. Marble and granite is also a full stone, while travertine comes hollow ghere and there trough out the piece.

Also I might steer away from rounding the corners a lot, the more you round the more work is required but also more chances for errors.... I will keep the rounding to a minimum which would be 1/8" on top to an 1/8" drop on the side.

Anyways the pore I type the more some people here will scratch their heads, so here are the pics.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 10:46:47 by bazemk1979 »
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Marble wristrests - memebers input needed
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 22:18:24 »
I'm interested. I'd like to see that first batch though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 22:20:31 »
foxer is the guy you're referring bazemk1979 ^__^

And I'd be interested...wish I had a tape measure to help though.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 23:04:46 »
foxer is the guy you're referring bazemk1979 ^__^

And I'd be interested...wish I had a tape measure to help though.

thanks for telling me his nick, will contact him when time comes. Someone will pitch in with dimensions soon :)

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 23:26:04 »
I'd probably pick up a few of them! :)

Pics stolen from  kwmin7 and kbd:
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mid=photo&page=7&document_srl=6567018

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:55:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

those are countertop slabs, I'm sure they were cut at the same place where he bought them. cutting big countertop slabs like that it takes huge industrial rail wet saw. That type of saw only places that are specialized for countertop slabs have them, us tile installers usually need a saw that can cut 24"-48" tiles. I plan to have everything made by me, nobody fabricates the wrist rest but me, this way we can keep costs down and I wont be acting the role of a middle man. When I install tile Im many times forced to make custom shampoo shelves, seats out of marble, I cut them,round them and polish them my self.

Nice looking marble can be find in squares of 18"-24" and I believe it will be superb for making wrist rests, I do plan to have the corners more rounded for better finish vs the wrist rest on the first pic. I see he had sort of GB I guess, just curious since I don't understand Korean how much was he charging for TKL,104 etc etc etc.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:01:50 by bazemk1979 »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:01:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

They seem a bit too small :P
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:04:20 »
They need some sort of heat pad; so you don't get frost bite when first using it :D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:04:46 »
id take one for a poker
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:04:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

that's why I asked for input from people about length for the tenkeypad, cherry 1800, poker-pure-GH 60..... I can make  them anysize up to IBM 122 tank size.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:38:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

that's why I asked for input from people about length for the tenkeypad, cherry 1800, poker-pure-GH 60..... I can make  them anysize up to IBM 122 tank size.

sweet, I have the measurements for the poker and TKL at home. Will post them here when I get home(if I remember -_-)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:40:14 »

Show Image

Show Image

I like this idea, I guess I just have a few questions for you.

I work with this material quite a bit in the course of my work and from the pictures it looks like the person from kbdmania went to his local granite/stone distributor, looked at several 'pretty' samples of granite (those large slabs that looks like giant sheets of rock with stickers tagged on them), and the stuff on the pallets appears to be a mix of granite/marble/travertine, which appears to be extra sill cuts, all very different materials.

Then I see what that person actually ended up with, the white piece of material. That is a piece of marble and it is commonly used on windows as a sill material. It is also commonly used in bathrooms as the step you use to transition into or out of a walk-in-shower, it also makes a great shelf for knee-walls, etc. It is primarily used as a window sill here in the US, it is the thinnest material of everything he had pictured, it is also the easiest to find and work with. You can purchase this material, in pre-cut and pre-polished lengths at your local Home Depot or possibly Lowes.

The first few pieces of material shown were great, those monster slabs always have a great pattern and they are huge so they can cover large islands for kitchens, it is primarily a counter-top material for kitchens/bathrooms/wet areas. The issue you will have with this is that the material is quite thick (commonly referred to as 5/4" material, it is usually 3cm thick), and requires a huge amount of work to turn it from that slab to a polished rectangular shape.

Fine, I understand that. You may have a friend or someone who is cutting these for you, or you simply found a place that is giving away the scrap pieces, even better, most places will do this.

You've now got a cut, polished rectangular keyboard wrist rest, great! Say you got to that stage no problem, you got your thick ass pieces of granite all cut and polished up. You gotta ship them now. It is very common when shipping material like this to lose up to 25% of it in shipping, possibly more. This material is still very brittle when you have to move it, once you glue it down onto something you can stop worrying. So, now you have this heavy ass rock that you need to ship someone, my biggest issue, outside of the fact that it will be costly due to its weight alone, is how to ship it without cracking it. Possibly wrap it in bubble wrap they put a piece of wood on the top and bottom, a 1x4 or something similar, and then wrapping that in tape. It would still be 50/50 though. The first time the shipper drops it, or something heavy falls on it and the bottom of the material isn't supported, it will crack, you will lose a corner, or the damn thing will crack right in half.

So with all those things in mind, I encourage you to try this yourself, but in all honestly, producing these and shipping them could be a nightmare...

Good luck to you and if you have any other questions, let me know!

QFR | QFR | QFR | Pure LED

Offline Sniping

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 10:06:12 »
I'm very interested in one of these, but I have a Leopold FC660C 60%, not GH60 or Poker. Mine is exactly 3/4" tall and 12 3/4" in length, so somewhere around there for 60% keyboards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 10:22:03 »
I don't use a wrist rest but this looks interesting, will be watching.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:16:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

I work with this material quite a bit in the course of my work and from the pictures it looks like the person from kbdmania went to his local granite/stone distributor, looked at several 'pretty' samples of granite (those large slabs that looks like giant sheets of rock with stickers tagged on them), and the stuff on the pallets appears to be a mix of granite/marble/travertine, which appears to be extra sill cuts, all very different materials.

Then I see what that person actually ended up with, the white piece of material. That is a piece of marble and it is commonly used on windows as a sill material. It is also commonly used in bathrooms as the step you use to transition into or out of a walk-in-shower, it also makes a great shelf for knee-walls, etc. It is primarily used as a window sill here in the US, it is the thinnest material of everything he had pictured, it is also the easiest to find and work with. You can purchase this material, in pre-cut and pre-polished lengths at your local Home Depot or possibly Lowes.

The first few pieces of material shown were great, those monster slabs always have a great pattern and they are huge so they can cover large islands for kitchens, it is primarily a counter-top material for kitchens/bathrooms/wet areas. The issue you will have with this is that the material is quite thick (commonly referred to as 5/4" material, it is usually 3cm thick), and requires a huge amount of work to turn it from that slab to a polished rectangular shape.

Fine, I understand that. You may have a friend or someone who is cutting these for you, or you simply found a place that is giving away the scrap pieces, even better, most places will do this.

You've now got a cut, polished rectangular keyboard wrist rest, great! Say you got to that stage no problem, you got your thick ass pieces of granite all cut and polished up. You gotta ship them now. It is very common when shipping material like this to lose up to 25% of it in shipping, possibly more. This material is still very brittle when you have to move it, once you glue it down onto something you can stop worrying. So, now you have this heavy ass rock that you need to ship someone, my biggest issue, outside of the fact that it will be costly due to its weight alone, is how to ship it without cracking it. Possibly wrap it in bubble wrap they put a piece of wood on the top and bottom, a 1x4 or something similar, and then wrapping that in tape. It would still be 50/50 though. The first time the shipper drops it, or something heavy falls on it and the bottom of the material isn't supported, it will crack, you will lose a corner, or the damn thing will crack right in half.

So with all those things in mind, I encourage you to try this yourself, but in all honestly, producing these and shipping them could be a nightmare...

Thanks for the input, I will try to have the shipping figured out, a good bubble wrap with news paper filling in the shipping box should be fine. I wont be fabricating any soft marble like the travertine, only my first samples batches will be made out of travertine as a mockup and I will auction them to donate the money to GH and another GH member.

I will not be buying scraps from counter top places, I will shop for 5/8 - 1" marble tiles that are not bigger than 24", depending on the order if they are more TKL orders then I will need 16" tiles. All can be figured out, as far as the fabrication goes here is a little example of what I can do with tile, stone, wood floors and laminate, most of the pics are from tile and stone, and lot of the shapoo shelves were made by me.

I made the facebook album from my work available for public so you can see of what I'm capable of https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116616081691233.15444.100000285240828&type=3

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:51:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

My pure cnc is 11 1/2"
My g80-1800 is 15 7/8" on my tape measure

These are the only two I can measure at the moment.

I'd check out the upcoming cases gh60 dimensions as well, boost/ace, the_beast, wfd.

Offline bazemk1979

Re: Marble wristrests - members input needed
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:54:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

My pure cnc is 11 1/2"
My g80-1800 is 15 7/8" on my tape measure

These are the only two I can measure at the moment.

I'd check out the upcoming cases gh60 dimensions as well, boost/ace, the_beast, wfd.

great 2 done, I believe GH60 and poker should be same size as the pure.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 15:05:19 by bazemk1979 »

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:19:44 »
I'm very interested in one of these, but I have a Leopold FC660C 60%, not GH60 or Poker. Mine is exactly 3/4" tall and 12 3/4" in length, so somewhere around there for 60% keyboards.
Like I said people need to give input for the size of their boards, when GB starts I will choose only thick marble, it has to be either 2cm or 3cm thick for better durability while in shipping and looks more slick and its of better quality.

Fabricating them to the exact size of the board is zero problem, but I need the size of the board.

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:48:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks for the input, I will try to have the shipping figured out, a good bubble wrap with news paper filling in the shipping box should be fine. I wont be fabricating any soft marble like the travertine, only my first samples batches will be made out of travertine as a mockup and I will auction them to donate the money to GH and another GH member.

I will not be buying scraps from counter top places, I will shop for 5/8 - 1" marble tiles that are not bigger than 24", depending on the order if they are more TKL orders then I will need 16" tiles. All can be figured out, as far as the fabrication goes here is a little example of what I can do with tile, stone, wood floors and laminate, most of the pics are from tile and stone, and lot of the shapoo shelves were made by me.

I made the facebook album from my work available for public so you can see of what I'm capable of https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116616081691233.15444.100000285240828&type=3

No problem at all, my comments were not meant to be a shot at your ability or quality of work by any means. Just pointing out potential future issues and concerns getting them out to everyone. I think the idea is very cool and I will most likely be ordering one from you, I can't stand having a nice wood desk and then shoving a wood wrist rest in front of it, a nice piece of marble or granite will look really cool and be a nice transition.

Shoot me a PM with your location if you don't mind, you do great tile work and if you are in central florida I am looking for a new residential tile crew.
QFR | QFR | QFR | Pure LED

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:50:46 »
Interested.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 12:14:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

No problem at all, my comments were not meant to be a shot at your ability or quality of work by any means. Just pointing out potential future issues and concerns getting them out to everyone. I think the idea is very cool and I will most likely be ordering one from you, I can't stand having a nice wood desk and then shoving a wood wrist rest in front of it, a nice piece of marble or granite will look really cool and be a nice transition.

Shoot me a PM with your location if you don't mind, you do great tile work and if you are in central florida I am looking for a new residential tile crew.

I actually appreciated your comments big time, reality is I have to have everything figured out even if GB goes only for 10 people. fabricating is no problem, but having to ship them safely is a concern. that's why I plan ahead of time to probably buy Styrofoam and have it cut out to fit around the marble pieces and taped id down tight, then fill up the shipping box with lots of news paper pages :)

BTW I live in Tampa, how has residential work have been for you, seems like it picks up for us. We use to do mainly commercial jobs, but things have changed a lot since then so now we are only remodeling, its convenient because we get the draw before we start and get paid right away after we are done.Sometimes if we luck out we land on a custom home with mudset marble/granite, wood floors trough all out the house, but very few of those these days.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 13:03:15 by bazemk1979 »

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 16:29:22 »
Velcro pads came in today, seems like I will have a free day tomorrow so I will make them in the morning and post some pics

Offline bazemk1979

Re: Marble wristrests - members input needed ( sample pics posted)
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 10:47:09 »
pics posted

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 10:50:48 »
Those look great! That was fast! :)

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 11:53:43 »
Those look great! That was fast! :)

not too crazy how they turned out, honeycomb texture travertine its easy for fabricating but then its prone to mistakes when polishing it. Its that moment when you polish and all goes good and then all of a sudden the pad dugs in into the hollow area..... no fixing that one....... But a solid marble or granite is much harder for rounding but there is no worry for errors, I can let my hand fly with the variable speed grinder.

EDIT: I don't think I should auction these due to the fact its travertine and there is a high chance of breaking while in delivery. Will look around these days for thick marble or granite around the tile places and look for prices and textures.

Also I might find better deals at places where they cut countertop slabs. Will see.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 11:57:27 by bazemk1979 »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 12:37:36 »
I concur with you there. I have a local counter shop that I'm sure I could get a rest made for just paying time. :D