Author Topic: ErgoDox and Trackball Tray  (Read 8950 times)

Online kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
ErgoDox and Trackball Tray
« on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:06:09 »
I think it's been more difficult for me to post this topic than to actually build my ErgoDox and tray.

22576-0

I hope this link works.    http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFazJhh    I'm new to all of this you know.

Offline Input Nirvana

• * Bard of Virtue and Vice
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: ErgoDox and Trackball Tray
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:31:05 »
I'm on it, looks great, you've got my attention. Reviewing the link right now, thanks for posting this!
Kinesis Advantage | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Alphagrip | Colemak | all on Mac
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell               Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Staying in touch with Tapatalk Pro                               Thanks much, Smallfry

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:35:15 »
That's quite possibly the most beautiful mod I've ever seen.

Question: Would you be willing to make another one if paid?
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:39:12 by daerid »

White RealForce 87U 55g | FC660C Dye Sub | CODE Clears 104 | White Poker II Blues
Previous boards: RealForce 55g 87UB | RealForce 45g 87UB | HHKB 2 PRO | Leopold FC660C | Filco MJ2 87 (Browns and Blacks) | CM QFR (Blues and Reds) | Filco MJ2  Linear-R | Poker (Reds, Browns, Blacks, Ergo Clears) | Dell AT101W | Matias TP3
Other:  Zowie EC1 CL | DeathAdder 2013 | MS-3 | Rival | Taipan | Sensei | G400 | IE 3.0 | RAT 7 | Kinzu 2 | Perf MX | Imperator | SS Cata | G500 | Apple Magic Mouse | Kensington Slimblade

SmallFry, 1996-2013. 'Till next time, homie.
I write code for Stack Exchange. Please buy some of my crap.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:43:22 »
Wow...that looks amazing!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S (55g) | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)

Join My Blue Alps Tour!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:44:53 »
I'll be looking closer at the modification to the Sanwa switches...sounds like something that would be a nice change...so many switches don't feel "good" but they are better than others and perform well so are acceptable. I've felt many are 'not worthy'.

Sad story on the Ems, seems the mousing was the real challenge...but I guess that's the price for creating, I should know, I'm a commercial contractor :)
Kinesis Advantage | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Alphagrip | Colemak | all on Mac
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell               Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Staying in touch with Tapatalk Pro                               Thanks much, Smallfry

Offline Glod

• * Exquisite Elder
  • AFTERFIRE
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:50:20 »
there is so much cool stuff on geek hack, much of it is related to your ability to open your wallet and that's the extent I've reached. this is different. kurplop brought a different level of class here. he's not the only one here with wooden creations for keyboards but creating a tray with this design for the ergodox is in my opinion unmatched.

Online codyeatworld

• [CTRL]ALT
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:41:12 »
Nice job fixing the aluminum casing, and incredible job on the whole entire build! I am truly inspired!

I didn't know the ergodox casing came like that :(

---

Offline Larken

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:05:34 »
This is beautiful, Kurplop. Hands down the best ergodox mod I've seen.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:09:50 »
Kurplop has covered all the bases....
-uber-ergo
-self-assembly
-innovation
-design
-metalworking (very light finishing counts and I love the helicoils!)
-very basic component electronics
-soldering
-woodworking
-integration with existing (harder to do than it seems)
-troubleshooting/trial and error
-actual finish product (form and function)
-AND he figured out how to post/host on a website!

All that's pretty darn good considering he's the last living midget from "The Wizard of Oz"

Follow the yellow brick road Kurplop!

P.S.- that damn keyboard is getting posted in the Split Kinesis article whenever I get around to fixing it.
P.P.S.- We should name it "KurplopHack"
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:13:23 by Input Nirvana »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Civil Servant Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:13:54 »
Ho-lee-mother... that is the nicest thing I think I've ever seen on geekhack.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Civil Servant Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:18:21 »
Seriously, would you consider taking money to build me one of those? I have the ergodox coming (unfortunately full hand, but could be cut).  I know you probably do this for a hobby, but PM me a price! :)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 23:18:52 »
asdlfjlzojoafjlakdf

i want one...

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 01:56:09 »
Just wow.
Thank you very much for all those pictures, a delight to look through.

I have always been interested in splitting my kinesis and placing my slimblade between them, possibly making them into a single enclosure, but it would certainly look nowhere near as good as the job you have done, seriously amazed.
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 08:13:18 »
WOW, That is one sick dox!

Nice job!
A guy walked up and said: "You know washing your car doesn't make it faster, right?"
I popped the hood and replied: "Yeah... But that turbo does."

Online Latin00032

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 11:04:18 »
That's the hottest keyboard setup I've seen in a while.

How many kidneys do you want for it?

Online kurplop

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 23:04:14 »

All that's pretty darn good considering he's the last living midget from "The Wizard of Oz"

Follow the yellow brick road Kurplop!

P.S.- that damn keyboard is getting posted in the Split Kinesis article whenever I get around to fixing it.

Wait 'till the guys back at the Lollypop Guild see Input Nirvana's assessment. And they thought I already had a big head!

Question: Would you be willing to make another one if paid?

I am flattered and humbled by the responses.  Several people have asked on the forum and through PM's if I'd make more to sell. I've hesitated responding because,  although I'd love to make more, there are compelling reasons why I probably shouldn't. The first reason is time. Making anything custom always takes a huge amount of time, but it's more than that. The mental and emotional investment can be all consuming. I can be easily distracted by such things and my real work suffers. I am also concerned that without tailoring the tray to an individual's unique ergonomic specifications it may fall short of expectations. And last, I'm not sure that the design can't be improved on.

When I first saw the early ErgoDox thread a year ago, I knew I wanted to do something special with it. Like many of you I toyed with different options like what kind of case, tyoe of switches, keycaps, colors, amount of separation, tenting, etc. The question that was still unanswered, even as I was completing the keyboard, was "How are you going to integrate the trackball?". The problem is twofold. I really like trackball located on the right of the keyboard angled down about 20 but with a tented keyboard the ball would either be too low or I'd have to sawtooth the right side and then lose the smooth natural movement from keyboard to trackball. The alternative was to center mount the trackball, which offers symmetry and ambidextrous operation but at the expense of losing the more natural location, sloped on the right. Another option I didn't consider at the time would be to either not tent or minimally tent the keyboard.

I chose symmetry and while it works well there are some things I would address on future designs.

If I prefer the new design I'll donate this one for geekhack to auction off. How does that sound?

Offline hoggy

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 00:41:22 »
Beautiful work.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:44:12 »
I would be very, very interested in your new design. If it's better than this one, I'll just ask you: How much? All costs, expenses, your time, everything? How much would it take for you to build it and not feel stressed out about it? I'm not offering a blank check here, but I honestly would like to know what something like that would cost.

White RealForce 87U 55g | FC660C Dye Sub | CODE Clears 104 | White Poker II Blues
Previous boards: RealForce 55g 87UB | RealForce 45g 87UB | HHKB 2 PRO | Leopold FC660C | Filco MJ2 87 (Browns and Blacks) | CM QFR (Blues and Reds) | Filco MJ2  Linear-R | Poker (Reds, Browns, Blacks, Ergo Clears) | Dell AT101W | Matias TP3
Other:  Zowie EC1 CL | DeathAdder 2013 | MS-3 | Rival | Taipan | Sensei | G400 | IE 3.0 | RAT 7 | Kinzu 2 | Perf MX | Imperator | SS Cata | G500 | Apple Magic Mouse | Kensington Slimblade

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:54:06 »
I would also be interested in some further documentation on the slimblade mod as I am considering doing a similar thing on my Kinesis, apologies if this information exists somewhere and I missed it.
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Online kurplop

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:08:17 »
I would be very, very interested in your new design. If it's better than this one, I'll just ask you: How much? All costs, expenses, your time, everything? How much would it take for you to build it and not feel stressed out about it? I'm not offering a blank check here, but I honestly would like to know what something like that would cost.

Would you like a estimate for the woodwork only? Including trackball mod? With ErgoDox? Let me know and I'll give you a ballpark figure.

I would also be interested in some further documentation on the slimblade mod as I am considering doing a similar thing on my Kinesis, apologies if this information exists somewhere and I missed it.

The only place I posted about the Slimblade mod was the Flickr link above. I have another Slimblade and will crack it open soon. I'll be sure to more fully document the procedure. Feel free to ask any specific questions about it. I will say that the Slimblade mod went very quick except for desoldering the switches. I don't know if the solder used had a higher melting point or the pins were too big for the holes but I had to drill out several that I couldn't fully desolder. Keep in mind that my soldering experience until last month  was limited to sweating together copper plumbing.

Having worked on both the Expert Mouse and the Slimblade  I can say that the Slimblade's newer design is apparent from an internal glance. The smaller components and advanced electronics are evidence of that. Having said that I'm not sure I prefer it to the E.M.

Online brainT

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:51:35 »
That is, quite simply, stunning. Amazing work.

Online kurplop

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:46:16 »
That is, quite simply, stunning. Amazing work.

Thanks, and welcome to geekhack.

Offline guilleguillaume

• Hey Dol! Merry Dol!
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:47:38 »
That's one of the best mods I've ever seen.

The woodwork looks amazing!  ;D

Offline hoggy

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 11:12:16 »
I am flattered and humbled by the responses.  Several people have asked on the forum and through PM's if I'd make more to sell. I've hesitated responding because,  although I'd love to make more, there are compelling reasons why I probably shouldn't.

Whatever you do, don't turn an interest/hobby into a 'drudge'.  I'd rather drool over your designs than see you get fed up making them.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline grips

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 11:43:36 »
Absolutely amazing. You are very talented.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 11:52:45 »
I might have a go at making my own, now that my new place is going to have a garage finally.

What kind of wood/finish did you use for the top?

Online kurplop

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 18:22:34 »
I might have a go at making my own, now that my new place is going to have a garage finally.

What kind of wood/finish did you use for the top?

The wood is genuine mahogany, not to be confused with luann(Philippine) or African mahogany. It runs 7-10 dollars per bd.ft. here, comparable to walnut. The piece I used was different than most of the boards in the stack I inspected. Most of them were less dramatically figured than the one I used. It's always a risk because until it's planed and finished you can never be sure you made the right choice. I used 6/4 stock which is 1 5/16 " finished size. I was so happy with the look, I went back and found his book-matched brother and bought it for the next project.

The finish is a long story. Being in California, where we are subject to stringent environmental regulations, I have switched to water-borne finishes for most of my work. I had originally used a shellac based sanding sealer, to give it intensity, followed with about four coats of Varathane water borne floor finish. Unfortunately, I was impatient and didn't wait long enough for the sealer to out gas fully and the finish blushed a little. The earlier pictures with the black trackball have that finish on it. When I refitted the tray with the Slimblade, I scratched the top up a little which gave me an excuse to fully strip and refinish the wood. This time I used a rattle can of Minwax Helmsman spar urethane I had in the shop. Four coats later, sanding as needed between coats, followed with a 600 grit sanding and rubbing out with a clay bar and then a paste waxing. Ironic how I have over six grand in spraying equipment and I get more complements on my spray finish from a can. Anyways, an astute observer will notice the more brilliant colors from the second finish. I wish you the best on yours and let me know if I can help.

I was wondering if anybody close to So. California would be interested in a weekend workshop this summer, where I could help you build your dream case, tray or whatever. PM me if interested.

On another topic, it's a joy to hear from all of you but I'm overwhelmed to get responses from far away places like New Zealand and Spain. Suddenly this world has gotten smaller and friendlier. Thanks all.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 May 2013, 18:31:14 by kurplop »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 18:35:50 »
When you say genuine, you mean Honduras, right?

Man if I still lived in LA I'd totally be down for a workshop. Alas, I have to make do out here in mile high.

Online kurplop

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 19:10:33 »
Yes, Honduras mahogany. I think it may include several regional species under the genuine title but doesn't include the African or Asian woods.  I saw some really nice looking African mahogany but wasn't sure of it's characteristics so I went with a known commodity. You will like working with it. It cutting, planing sanding and finishing characteristics are superb. Unfortunately, after working with it you don't want to go back to the lesser woods. One caution. many of the tropical woods have a high oil content so as a precaution you may consider wiping down the applicable surfaces with lacquer thinner, acetone or denatured alcohol immediately before glueing or finishing for better adhesion.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 21:39:06 »
I've used Honduras in making guitars, it was a joy to work with.