Author Topic: "What should I buy?" sub-form  (Read 10263 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
"What should I buy?" sub-form
« on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:03:30 »
We get a lot of recurring questions where newcomers ask for advice on what boards to buy. Rather than cluttering up the main keyboards or new members forum, having a sub-forum under one of those dedicated to asking those questions could be immensely helpful.

We could also have a sticky topic that would serve as a questionnaire for people to provide answers to, things like tactility/switch type, backlighting, form factor, color, keycap material, etc...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: "What should I buy?" sub-form
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:07:26 »
On a side note: We should sticky a buying guide or something here. We get the same "what should I buy" questions over and over again, at least one a day :-\

Or have a sub-forum 'What Keyboard Should I Buy?" for anyone looking to buy a keyboard to post in and make a form for new users to fill out with things like what country are you in, full size or tkl, switch type, back lighting or no, what used for etc, etc.

i'm sure the filling of the form could be made mandatory to post in said sub-forum and the entry page/form could also have a glossary explaining the terminology

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:17:20 »
Someone here with an online store wrote an online keyboard chooser at one stage.

Anyone got the link?

I don't have all my bookmarks at work, even if the page is still up.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:36:55 »
I agree, and having a sticky thread like this is an excellent idea :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:38:46 »
Someone here with an online store wrote an online keyboard chooser at one stage.

Anyone got the link?

MechanicalKeyboards.com has one and then CM Storm is trying to start another one. They're calling it the Keyboard Academy but I can't find it.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:40:49 »

Anyone got the link?

MechanicalKeyboards.com has one and then CM Storm is trying to start another one. They're calling it the Keyboard Academy but I can't find it.

Their guide is pretty good, but they don't sell Topre, so I say we just start a new sticky thread  :p

Offline ping111

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:43:50 »
I'm impatient.

So, is the KBT PURE with MX Blues a good buy?  I'd get some blank PBT caps too.
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:51:42 »

Anyone got the link?

That's the one I was thinking of!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 08:07:04 »
It's time to make this happen!!.....too many what keyboard should i buy threads :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:34:00 »
It's time to make this happen!!.....too many what keyboard should i buy threads :P

^^anybody else think this is a good idea?

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:34:47 »
ErgoDox
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:35:22 »
ErgoDox

Seriously? Even I don't spam that bad!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 16:58:54 »
You're still going to get a lot of new members asking in the "new members" section what to get.

More work for the mods?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:00:49 »
You're still going to get a lot of new members asking in the "new members" section what to get.

More work for the mods?

They need something to do. ;)

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:15:19 »
SpAmRaY with the whip cracking. ;D

I like the idea of keeping the "recommend me a board" threads out of the Keyboards forum, though. All the juicy technical stuff gets drowned in a sea of repetitive questions. I'm not trying to fault new users, but rather, I think they need a place to bounce ideas around for that first+second board.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: &quot;What should I buy?&quot; sub-form
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:32:24 »
My idea was there could be a standard form filled with all the regular questions so its easier to help people.

Like the what notebook should I buy thread at notebookreview.com

http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/29271-what-should-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.html

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 23:07:54 »
every attempt so far to contain the "what should i buy" questions to a single thread/forum/anything has failed so far. i have reached my peace with this entropy.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:43:22 »
How do you define "failed" though? I'm not really expecting all questions of this type to end up in the sub-forum, but I'd consider 40-50% a good amount.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:44:22 »
the thread still exists. no one has posted in it for about a year.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:51:32 »

It would all get lost in one thread, but what if we had a sub-forum under geekhack marketplace entitled "What should I Buy?" Or "Buying Advice"

Then people could be directed to post there and new post not put there asking what to buy could be moved there.

There could also be a template setup for keyboard buying asking basic questions to help people when posting their inquiries.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:53:48 »
Maybe we could have something in the likes of a poll where people rate different keyboards. Could be similar to the poll for the switches on another website. This could complement a thread on the plus and minus of each keyboard.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 12:32:33 »

The problem with a thread is that it moves. If no one posts in it, then it falls off the front page and new people aren't aware that it exists. A dedicated forum would be pinned to the forum list and new people would see it automatically on the home page.

It would all get lost in one thread, but what if we had a sub-forum under geekhack marketplace entitled "What should I Buy?" Or "Buying Advice"

Then people could be directed to post there and new post not put there asking what to buy could be moved there.

There could also be a template setup for keyboard buying asking basic questions to help people when posting their inquiries.

I really like this idea. The main point is to have a static link somewhere to direct new users to the appropriate place.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 12:36:00 »
Tym started a thread like this. It quickly died in about 3 days. We need something stickied, a sub-forum, or just to accept the fact that these questions will always pop up. I'm still not sure what the best option is.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:16:18 »
I still think a separate forum for this is the best way to go. Just look at the "keyboards" forum right now.  Every day we constantly get posts requesting buying assistance or suggestions. A separate forum worked very well for newbies and keycaps. Buying advice is a perfectly logical topic for a forum (especially here).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 13:34:30 »
I still think a separate forum for this is the best way to go. Just look at the "keyboards" forum right now.  Every day we constantly get posts requesting buying assistance or suggestions. A separate forum worked very well for newbies and keycaps. Buying advice is a perfectly logical topic for a forum (especially here).

1000x YES!!

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:29:17 »

^^anybody else think this is a good idea?

YESS! PLEASE!

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:26:47 »
This is getting ridiculous. I'm starting to think that the main "keyboards" forum should just be renamed at this point.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:32:22 »
It's much more difficult to miss a sub forum titled "keyboard purchase suggestions" (or something of that sort) that a stickied post (or some long discussion post that went off the first page).

I'd include "switch" into the title as well, as there are lots of questions about those.  Like " hey guys, Blue or Brown?"   So perhaps a "Keybord / Switch Recommendations".  As dry as that sounds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:35:21 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:35:35 »
isnt this what a wiki is for?

and a review subforum?

how about we stop holding newbie's hands and making them read first.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:37:00 »

and a review subforum?

In an ideal world, there would be no wars or illness, and street pavement would be made of chocolate waffle crust.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:39:05 »

and a review subforum?

In an ideal world, there would be no wars or illness, and street pavement would be made of chocolate waffle crust.

think of the ants!

no chocolate waffle crust.

chinchilla fur.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:43:15 »

and a review subforum?

Gross, chocolate waffles.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:45:14 »

and a review subforum?

Gross, chocolate waffles.

Shut your **** mouth right now!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:46:59 »

Just tell them they can't post on the forum unless they are using a mechanical keyboard.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:51:36 »

Just tell them they can't post on the forum unless they are using a mechanical keyboard.

So you're saying I cant post when I'm in class anymore?
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:54:55 »

Is only a rule for noobs since we can't seem to warrant the logical sub-forum.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:55:40 »

Proof of ownership / use by accompanying each post with a time-stamped photograph attached as a note.  With a keycap removed for further proof.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 23:59:09 »

if only

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 00:41:04 »

if only

I don't post much from 4-11am, maybe you should browse then so as not to see that many of my posts.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 03:02:39 »

if only

I don't post much from 4-11am, maybe you should browse then so as not to see that many of my posts.

I wish you would post more Ed.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 03:06:54 »
Why? I already do it so as to put off doing my homework, which means I'm already posting more than I should...
R.I.P.ster

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 03:14:13 »
Why? I already do it so as to put off doing my homework, which means I'm already posting more than I should...

In that case use posting as a reward to yourself 'after' you get your work done!

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:06:29 »
For a bit of time there, I would just recommend G81s to everyone. If they actually buy it, then they deserve it.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:08:30 »
For a bit of time there, I would just recommend G81s to everyone. If they actually buy it, then they deserve it.

I bought a G80 does that count ;)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:15:57 »

I bought a G80 does that count ;)

NI
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 00:47:39 »
It's just frustrating. There's SO much of it in the main keyboard forum it just drowns out the rest of the topics. It's reached a point where it's kind of silly to not have a dedicated space for it. Plus, if we actually had a forum dedicated to buying advice/questions, when I go into that forum I'm prepared to answer the same questions, every time. Also, it'd make it that much easier for newbies to actually browse that forum to see if somebody has asked the same questions they might have, and then they wouldn't have to add yet another post asking the same damn questions ad infinitum

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:32:13 »
It's just frustrating. There's SO much of it in the main keyboard forum it just drowns out the rest of the topics. It's reached a point where it's kind of silly to not have a dedicated space for it. Plus, if we actually had a forum dedicated to buying advice/questions, when I go into that forum I'm prepared to answer the same questions, every time. Also, it'd make it that much easier for newbies to actually browse that forum to see if somebody has asked the same questions they might have, and then they wouldn't have to add yet another post asking the same damn questions ad infinitum

And I still think some sort of buying guide and/or standard form that would answer some basic questions.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:49:45 »
That wouldn't prevent people from clogging up the other forums with their questions. Everybody thinks that their needs/questions are unique and special, regardless of whether they are or not.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:53:09 »
That wouldn't prevent people from clogging up the other forums with their questions. Everybody thinks that their needs/questions are unique and special, regardless of whether they are or not.

I meant have a form/guide as part of the sub forum.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:54:45 »
Oh yeah. Definitely would need that. A stickies topic would work just fine for that