Author Topic: A noobs guide to keyboards {Discussion}  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
A noobs guide to keyboards {Discussion}
« on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 04:06:12 »
So it was thought about creating an entire guide for people who are completely new to the mech world, but unless I am missing something it was not attempted (If it was please disregard everything else). So this is open-source all advice will be added/played with/improved upon.

I was thinking something like this:

What do you use your keyboard for?
1) 25% Typing / 75% Gaming
2) 50% Typing / 50% Gaming
3) 75% Typing / 25% Gaming

And from that recommend a switch

Do you already know what switch you would prefer?
4) Red
5) Black
6) Blue

Then a budget related question

How much are you interested in spending?
7) >$75
8) >$150
9) >$250

Then you use these results (and others) to compile a composite answer

1 & 8) SteelSeries 6gv2 (Blacks)
3 & 9) Filco Majestouch-2 (Blues)

Obviously this is a basic idea and any and all input is not just appreciated it is requested.

unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
Re: A noobs guide to keyboards {Discussion}
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 04:11:04 »
This sir ;D Borrowed from Sir SquareBox/Undarken  :))

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 04:19:43 »
Or just skip all the steps and money spending and:
Do you want a Cherry board? --> ergo clears
Do you want a Topre board? --> Topre
Are you old school? --> Model M or equivalent

Honestly it seems like many people who get into mech keyboards and than proceed to search for that holy grail wind up in one of these three camps.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 04:31:23 »
If it is for "noobs", then please skip anything that cannot be easily bought (i.e. ergo-clears)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 05:10:10 »
Mechanicalkeyboards.com has that thing you cab click through to get recommendations but that's all I've seen.

Its about to get complicated with all these new boards being released by everyone.

I can see all the questions about, can I get these key caps for my xyz board?

Or i spilled orange juice on my uber duber gameing keyboard and it stopped working.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:15:33 »
Do you want backlighting?  Yes = Ducky Shine.  No = Ducky Zero.

Yes but I don't have much money = Ducky Shine Zero.

;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:16:03 »
I would really love to see this guide shy away from the "gaming/typing" question when picking a switch/keyboard. I honestly don't believe any switch is inherently better for gaming. I'm a bit biased though since I write a fair amount and love my clicky switches when writing longer entries/blogs/review. And I'm more of an RTS/Retro video game player and not an FPS player. Instead, I like the approach from Shadovved picture: Do you mind audible feedback? Do you like your switches heavy or light? Do you like tactile feedback? Do you like clicky feedback? Since I feel that any switch can play any game, these leading questions might be more helpful.

Along with the switch type, I also think the very initial questions in picking a mechanical keyboard should be:

- What layout are you considering? (TenKeyLess, 60%, Fullsize)
- What is your budget?

The layout can greatly influence the price. So when people suggest a budget of $120, they might not realize that a TenKeyLess QuickFireRapid can be half the price and suit their needs perfectly.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion on how selecting their first keyboard and having it NOT be Cherry MX. If you started on Buckling Spring, Topre, or even Alps after your research into your first board, how did you come to that decision? Should we guide people towards Cherry MX since it's accessible and common?

Edit: It also would be cool to see a mashy-esque list of common beginner boards. He made that TenKeyLess and 60% board list but I think it'd be cool to see a larger, more complete list.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:18:13 by CPTBadAss »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:28:10 »
The trouble is with all the new keyboards coming out, and not just looking at Ducky, there are way too many options these days.

And another relevant question would be "what country are you in" as some people in some countries have a lot of trouble finding any local mechanical keyboard vendors.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 07:20:03 »
Most of the linear gaming tactile typing stuff is just people repeating what they've heard other people repeat. What portion of those people have tried both for both uses?

Some people who do will feel that way, but others not so much. I personally like gaming, even fps, on clicky (not to say I don't often use blacks in the school year when I have a roommate). Other people like typing on linear.

The best noob guide would be raw numbers, and real world examples of said numbers. e.g.- a (color) switch has an activation weight of x grams (some fraction of a pen spring or something), a click that produces a sound of x db (same as a jet plane) at a frequency of x hz (same as a dog whistle). Then a list of keyboards widely regarded as quality with a list of switch options and inline pics.

There is too much variation in people to make good subjective recommendations. As a personal example, I don't find greens tiring in the least and find blues to be obnoxiously light. Other people can't type on blacks or heavier for a minute and get aftermarket springs to make blues even lighter. Some poeple find the sound annoying, others love it. I could go on for pages, but you get the idea.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 07:56:37 »
Not trying to shut down your work, but didn't Ripster put a guide on Reddit? I found Rarar's guide
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:10:50 by SmallFry »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 07:59:06 »
Not trying to shut down your work, but didn't Ripster put a guide on Reddit?
You use reddit? Were not friends anymore.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:00:17 »
I don't typically use Reddit, no. Ripster has just made his Isle of Exile over there, and he still has his wealth of knowledge. Also, FWIW, Moose has told me that it was Rarar who compile the guide.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:03:47 »
I don't typically use Reddit, no. Ripster has just made his Isle of Exile over there, and he still has his wealth of knowledge. Also, FWIW, Moose has told me that it was Rarar who compile the guide.

I think rarar just assisted.....

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:04:39 »
From what I now recall from the IRC, it was a lot of his work. He was very proud of it when it was released.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:06:15 »
Because the mechanical keyboard community is based only on hate. You must hate every forum/sub/whatever but yours.

Or maybe try not to act like middle school girls over keyboards. Whatever works for you.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:08:10 »
Let's not forget ALPS!  The questionare would be extremely long and start with "Are you crazy?"   :p
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:08:56 »
Because the mechanical keyboard community is based only on hate. You must hate every forum/sub/whatever but yours.

Or maybe try not to act like middle school girls over keyboards. Whatever works for you.
I do not understand?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:10:17 »
Let's not forget ALPS!  The questionare would be extremely long and start with "Are you crazy?"   :p
I legitimately LOL'd at that. Perhaps the first recommendation should be Brown ALPS, quickly followed by Blues. :))

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:12:17 »
The holy keyboard guide by Lord Undarken/ Sir SquareBox: http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-depot/890488-vr-forums-mechanical-keyboard-club-guide-discussion-thread.html

All the switch stats, feelings, keyboard customisability etc.  ;D

Please.

Edit: :D

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:13:13 »
SQUAREBOX! D'aw. :D
Also, tis the true MoogleStiltzkin under the last Undarken post. He is the namer of the Moogle kit, just sayin.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:19:21 by SmallFry »

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:13:52 »

I do not understand?
I just saw the whole /r/ipster reddit thing startin up, probably shoulda quoted the post.
Too late for that now.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:14:54 »
SQUAREBOX! D'aw. :D

And now you know why all those SG keyboarders are connoisseurs

Offline nickr

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 10:53:36 »
Not to be the d-bag, noob guy but all the keyboard information you guys listed is everywhere.  If you want to put something together that's unique and worthwhile, focus on mod-preparedness (the mod future, if you will).  Talk about looking for boards that are easy to mod, like changing the key switches, standard key sizes, ease of yanking out the key caps, key programmability, etc.

The problem with noobs is that they're gonna pay $120+ for a board with switches they'll regret, keycaps that feel cheap, a flimsy board and a layout they'll want to murder someone over.  If they can't change any/some of those easily then it makes for a horrible experience.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 11:17:20 »
Not to be the d-bag, noob guy but all the keyboard information you guys listed is everywhere.  If you want to put something together that's unique and worthwhile, focus on mod-preparedness (the mod future, if you will).  Talk about looking for boards that are easy to mod, like changing the key switches, standard key sizes, ease of yanking out the key caps, key programmability, etc.

The problem with noobs is that they're gonna pay $120+ for a board with switches they'll regret, keycaps that feel cheap, a flimsy board and a layout they'll want to murder someone over.  If they can't change any/some of those easily then it makes for a horrible experience.
Sounds interesting, like a list of available mods, cases, warnings of non standard caps, etc.
I should make a guide.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 11:41:48 »
So we know this is wallet hack?  What gets us to buy things?

We get a taste and then start to develop a complex pallet for keyboards.  Some people like them as pieces of art... some people love pretty lights.
My point here is that noobs shouldn't have buying guides. 

Noobs need to buy a keyboard (they think is cool) with a good return policy in case they absolutely hate it.

Anyone here should not be encouraged/encouraging "the one" keyboard find.  It won't happen until you've tried a variety of feels/styles/layouts.

Even if the majority were into a kind of switch that does not mean noob-man-bro-dude is going to love ergo clears/topre/matias switches.

May we please stop flooding the keyboard section with buying guides/opinion pits where people's opinions don't really matter or belong?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 11:50:47 »
When I first started in this hobby I just bought super cheap Rosewell/Cooler master qfr from Amazon and trying them out in stores if possible.

Switches are such a personal preference thing you really have to try it for yourself.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 12:09:46 »
May we please stop flooding the keyboard section with buying guides/opinion pits where people's opinions don't really matter or belong?

I'm going to try to make a totally objective guide. Nothing that can't be measured, and no opinions (save for customer service comments) or recommendations. Just a compilation of data found online, and some personally recorded data of anything on the market.

No adjectives without numbers either, e.g. not saying thick pbt, put saying the pbt is X.X mm thick.

Basically something that might provide information without influence.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 12:18:48 »
CWD for prez!  :D

Deeze are options- pick sumfin or go away >.<

Did y'all know I worked in sales before? xD
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline shifted

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 12:41:08 »
Do you want backlighting?  Yes = Ducky Shine.  No = Ducky Zero.

Yes but I don't have much money = Ducky Shine Zero.

;)

Lol, kind of true.  I'd like a Shine but with the dedicated media keys the Zero has.  The email and internet and my PC keys are useless but I use the volume keys a lot. 

Anyway, I just got into mechanical keybaords not too long ago and I researched forever and ended up buying one with black switches.   About a week later I bought another one off Amazon with red switches and like it much better.  The black was making my hands ache even though I am used to slamming the keys and basically hunting and pecking really fast.  Unfortunately you really have to try them to have any idea if you will like them.  The WASD sampler didn't even help me in the end because messing with one switch is not the same as typing on a keyboard.  Some people will get lucky their first keyboard and others like me will end up buying two ir maybe 3 keyboards before deciding.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 12:56:09 by shifted »

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:12:34 »
I've been wanting to try black switches forever but aren't black switches about 60g same like rubber domes? All of my mechanical keyboards disappeared, I'm typing on my super old g15 and its making me so sad  :( But if they are I can lie to myself and say I'm just typing on blacks with a ton of o-rings on it
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:14:16 by Lbeuol »

Offline 5volts

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 15:44:02 »
I'm grabbing my first mech keyboard soon.

With all the new boards getting announced, is it worth waiting a few weeks?
Otherwise, I can have Amazon deliver a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid to me tomorrow.