Author Topic: Not a fan of DSA  (Read 22661 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Not a fan of DSA
« on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 06:33:18 »
The surface is significantly smaller, much harder to type on, it makes the keys feel like they're further apart.

A large time saver for fast typing is using the near corners of the key cap so that you don't have to reach as far.  :blank:

DSA does however make a much better ergo dox spacebar than dcs though..

//stern look  >:D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Not a fan of DSA
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 10:31:15 »
Did you get the DCS set for the ErgoDox? I've been thinking of using DCS for the main area and DSA for the thumb clusters.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 10:53:48 »
This is one of the rare times where i agree with tp4tissue 's viewpoint

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 12:40:15 »
It might also work the other way, though-- if you're prone to typos involving striking multiple keys, having the active areas seperated may prevent some errors.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:04:57 »
Did you get the DCS set for the ErgoDox? I've been thinking of using DCS for the main area and DSA for the thumb clusters.

Eya I got both. Because I knew that the spacebar should be flatter for quick traverse between other thumb cluster keys, while with the DCS the bar is too slope.

It might also work the other way, though-- if you're prone to typos involving striking multiple keys, having the active areas seperated may prevent some errors.

You can increase your precision with practice, But that would never make the keys bigger.  So at best one could only say that the DSA set makes a good trainer keycap

However, this would then also fall apart because who the hell needs to spend $50 just to Temporarily reduce errors while they learn to type, then never use those caps again.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:17:20 »
You can increase your precision with practice, But that would never make the keys bigger.  So at best one could only say that the DSA set makes a good trainer keycap

However, this would then also fall apart because who the hell needs to spend $50 just to Temporarily reduce errors while they learn to type, then never use those caps again.

Unless you're a crappy typist and your precision never increases.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:20:18 »

Unless you're a crappy typist and your precision never increases.

okokok,   I guess I'm forgoing the condition that if you are severely keyboard handicapped, You may forever need DSA as a crutch??

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:28:42 »
I like DSA keycaps. Both the retro set and the ones on my incomplete ErgoDox are great imo.

Offline TD22057

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:29:58 »
Interesting.  Here are the Signature Plastics specs sheets for DSA and DCS.  The DSA top surface area is 0.500" x 0.500" (0.250 in2) and the DCS top surface area is 0.470" x 0.557" (0.262 in2).  0.012 in2 doesn't sound like very much of a change in total surface area.  So it's probably the larger vertical dimension difference causing the problem - the DSA should actually be closer together horizontally.

FYI If you want to get rid of any of your DSA retro kits (especially a num pad), let me know as I missed out on the buy... :) :)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:40:21 »

that's exactly what i did originally with my ergo dox and it worked well

SP Doubleshot white on black DCS plus the blank DSA ergodox set

DSC_0462.jpg by almightyglod, on Flickr

it took me a couple days to get used to the dsa but now i don't notice a difference. i haven't tried the dsa set on a staggered normal keyboard like my poker yet. I imagine it must be weirder to adapt to than a matrix,.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:47:43 »
Interesting.  Here are the Signature Plastics specs sheets for DSA and DCS.  The DSA top surface area is 0.500" x 0.500" (0.250 in2) and the DCS top surface area is 0.470" x 0.557" (0.262 in2).  0.012 in2 doesn't sound like very much of a change in total surface area.  So it's probably the larger vertical dimension difference causing the problem - the DSA should actually be closer together horizontally.

FYI If you want to get rid of any of your DSA retro kits (especially a num pad), let me know as I missed out on the buy... :) :)

the measurements on the dsa is wrong..   its only 7/16th according to my protractor at the widest part  :p

so, the DCS is actually a whopper of 37.2% Biggah :eek:

Ontop of that with DCS You don't get the edge space because the spherical cap isn't as wide on the outskirt as it is in the middle. 

So, i guestimate that the usable area could be up to 40% less on spherical DSA vs DCS.

THEREFORE   DCS ftw??? :cool:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 15:02:55 »
Only on GeekHack...

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 17:35:55 »
Only on GeekHack...

40% less usable surface area is pretty significant, there's an immediate improvement when I switched on DCS for my ergodox.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 17:38:06 »
Only on GeekHack...

40% less usable surface area is pretty significant, there's an immediate improvement when I switched on DCS for my ergodox.

SP square flat keycaps then?  Max surface per key.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 17:48:06 »
Only on GeekHack...

SP square flat keycaps then?  Max surface per key.

Hmmm... I haven't tried them, so I wouldn't rule it out, but.....

they may be too close... for angled keystrikes.

Offline Larken

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 20:02:28 »
your keyboard, your choice. but don't disregard the fact that most people would have been typing on dcs for at least a year or two and those on ergodox round 2/dsa retro had been using dsa for around 5 days to a month, tops?

I preferred dcs at first, having done the main area cherry profile, side buttons - dsa thing at first. But given some time with full dsa, I've since come to the conclusion that the profile (doesn't matter to me at least) in less than a week.

Besides, if you use formats like colemak and want a labelled layout without printing a custom set with wasdkeyboards, dsa is your best bet.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 20:22:43 »

the measurements on the dsa is wrong..   its only 7/16th according to my protractor at the widest part  :p

Ontop of that with DCS You don't get the edge space because the spherical cap isn't as wide on the outskirt as it is in the middle. 

So, i guestimate that the usable area could be up to 40% less on spherical DSA vs DCS.

If you're trying to be nitpicky and assign numbers, correct measurements are important.   Are you measuring the distance at the greatest separation or the actual arc length along the key surface?  I would measure surface lengths with flexible measuring tape, and then you'll need a more complicated formula for area calculation--for the cyllindrical DSC profile keys and for the spherical DSA profile keys, because you are not dealing with flat rectangles but rather concave surfaces (which have larger surface area than flat surfaces with the same boundaries). 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 04:18:40 »

If you're trying to be nitpicky and assign numbers, correct measurements are important.   Are you measuring the distance at the greatest separation or the actual arc length along the key surface?  I would measure surface lengths with flexible measuring tape, and then you'll need a more complicated formula for area calculation--for the cyllindrical DSC profile keys and for the spherical DSA profile keys, because you are not dealing with flat rectangles but rather concave surfaces (which have larger surface area than flat surfaces with the same boundaries). 

the concavity is not relevant to the distance traversed between touching each key.. Only the horizontal plane at the very top matters, because that is closest reach I can make.

besides, the concavity here would not make up for 37% since both dcs and dsa are concave molded

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 08:25:25 »
I've been using the DSA Retro set at work for about 3 weeks now and they feel great. I don't know if my accuracy is better or worse -- feels about the same. And they look awesome, so that's good enough for me. Now I'm curious to see (and hear from others) how the spherical GB from DT is working out. They look really high -- gotta arch those fingertips, LOL!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 03:52:39 »
I've been using the DSA Retro set at work for about 3 weeks now and they feel great. I don't know if my accuracy is better or worse -- feels about the same. And they look awesome, so that's good enough for me. Now I'm curious to see (and hear from others) how the spherical GB from DT is working out. They look really high -- gotta arch those fingertips, LOL!

DSA keycaps are kind of like high heels.. it sacrifices ergonomics, but like the retro DSA set, it's quite stylish.

Can you be as accurate? Of course, but, I just wanted to pointed out that to use DSA is like wearing high heels for your keyboard where one trades usability for "aesthetics".

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 04:26:07 »
I'm not a great typist but I do a lot of coding and I find myself pretty productive on DSA.

we are probably talking about differences that only very fast typist can spot.

edit: that being said... we had enough DCS, luckily we have alternatives.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 04:37:14 »
I'm not a great typist but I do a lot of coding and I find myself pretty productive on DSA.

we are probably talking about differences that only very fast typist can spot.

edit: that being said... we had enough DCS, luckily we have alternatives.

Haha, I'm not super against DSA,  just a mildly upset no one mentioned this issue in any reviews.

I certainly agree with you that this wouldn't get in the way of work related typing, unless you're a medical transcription-ist.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 06:19:15 »

DSA keycaps are kind of like high heels.. it sacrifices ergonomics, but like the retro DSA set, it's quite stylish.

Can you be as accurate? Of course, but, I just wanted to pointed out that to use DSA is like wearing high heels for your keyboard where one trades usability for "aesthetics".

I don't really feel less accurate when typing on DSA -- it feels about the same to me. The keys are all in the same place, after all. I really haven't heard very many complaints about them. And the only set that currently uses them has the deep dish homing keys so, no worries.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 11:57:57 »
I've been using DSA caps on one of my boards since October last year, and I love the hell out of the profile. Get mathematical all you want, but feel is king here.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 12:42:08 »

24954-0

I don't think DSA caps are less ergonomic. I don't find myself being more careful while typing. I think you might be the only person experiencing this, tp. You should try the flat keycaps out, as sam suggested; they would maximize the surface area you could touch. And if your surface area to aesthetics relationship holds, you'll have the ugliest, most ergonomic keyboard in history.  :D
More

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 13:06:24 »
I have tried Retro DSA on my Filco briefly, and I did not find it any more difficult to type on than standard OEM keycaps.  I didn't like the hardness of the keys and the sound they made, but it made no practical difference for typing.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline TD22057

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:16:14 »
I picked up a DSA retro set and got to try them today.  They do feel different - mostly because the plane of the rows is flat, but I don't think they're any harder to use.  Given that they seem to be the only reasonably priced only option for a truly custom keyboard design, I'm going to learn to like them (no matter what).

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:20:31 »
I picked up a DSA retro set and got to try them today.  They do feel different - mostly because the plane of the rows is flat, but I don't think they're any harder to use.  Given that they seem to be the only reasonably priced only option for a truly custom keyboard design, I'm going to learn to like them (no matter what).

they are about the same distance from each other horizontally as DCS or OEM profile,  The vertical distance is what really gets me. I was not used to moving my fingers so far up and down.

The reason behind designing the keys longer than they are wide is thus:

When you move your fingers from a fixed position you hit keys at an angle..   when you do this horizontally the angle is more extreme than when you do this vertically.

So this means you need more horizontal space such that you do not hit the adjacent key when moving your fingers left and right.

DSA breaks this and forces you into moving MORE vertically for no good reason..  which is why i am not such a fan of them..  it seems to be form without function...

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:48:25 »
don't notice the difference now, seems the same to me :P

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 22:00:53 »
don't notice the difference now, seems the same to me :P

if you're willing to experiment, stack the left hand side with regular dcs and the right with the dsa... and notice you have a much easier time reaching keys on one hand.

I did this when i was putting together my ergodox

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 11:03:24 »
I have to bounce between my laptop (Macbook Air) keyboard, my work keyboard (Apple, same key profile as my laptop) and the mechanical keyboard on my own desktop. I find that DSA is an easier transition for my fingers somehow, I guess due the uniformity of the profile. I also like it aesthetically.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 11:27:18 »
old thread tp4 stiil about keyboard :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 11:39:08 »
I feel an actual difference while typing with DSA compared with original cherry key caps. I do think that it is more related with the overall geometry, and surface roughness than only the top area. The rougher finish of DSA compared with the softer one of original cherries make a lot of difference. I ain't a fast typer, only an average one, but still I feel the difference. However, I will keep using DSA for the sake of aesthetics.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:34:02 »
DSA is okay, the flat profile is actually quite easy to type on once you get used to it, but the small keytop size and lack of curve are points which could make them awkward enough to not feel "right".

IMHO, sculptured SA profile comes close to being ideal, due to the slightly larger angled keytops, large mass and lack of steps between the keycap edges when changing rows. The curve creates a change in height and keytop angle that feels natural and the flat starting angle works well on a properly angled keyboard (close to flat).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 16:49:10 »
IMHO, sculptured SA profile comes close to being ideal, due to the slightly larger angled keytops, large mass and lack of steps between the keycap edges when changing rows. The curve creates a change in height and keytop angle that feels natural and the flat starting angle works well on a properly angled keyboard (close to flat).

Sounds great -- I would like to try SA sometime.

Wait, oh my god. This is how it happens. I bought my first mechanical keyboard a couple months ago, got a set of keycaps for it which I told myself at the time "ok, this is IT, you blow this $80, get the keyboard set up the way you want, and you're done". And now look, I'm already talking myself into spending more...