Author Topic: mobapad  (Read 5798 times)

Offline llovro

mobapad
« on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:29:57 »
So, I was thinking of making a gaming pad based on qwer keys for moba games (atleast this are the keys that I use in every single moba game (hon, lol, dota, smite...)). Here's how I imagine this.

Black line is the shape of the pad.
Now to the serious part. I need help making a plate and a pcb. I don't know anything, on how to do that, so if someone could teach me that or point me to a tutorial, that would be really cool.
Edit1:

Added some keys
Edit2:

added measurments
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 08:47:20 by llovro »

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
Re: mobapad
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:35:15 »
That almost won't do in Dota 2. Because some still use legacy keys as well as other keys to be essential. Still a great tho :)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline llovro

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:37:17 »
I was planning to make only one for myself, and this layout works for me ;)
Also I have to figure out a way to add 'stop' and 'attack' buttons...
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:40:45 by llovro »

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:47:25 »
Should do some numbers too like 1-5. and some other programmable extras. I like the layout of the case. It looks like brass knuckles eh haha
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline llovro

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:53:46 »
Should do some numbers too like 1-5. and some other programmable extras. I like the layout of the case. It looks like brass knuckles eh haha
I have no place to put numbers from 1-5... Oh ****. I also forgot to put in one key for scoreboard... Damn this is going to be tough to make...
I'm thinking like this:
qwerdf for spells
alt+qwerdf items
tab to go through selected units
t is that level up button and qwer for which spell to level up
ctrl is to center camera or something...
f1 is pause/unpause
ctrl+qwerdf other keys that I need
I just hope that I will remember all keybinds with ctrl and alt since I can't figure out where to put other keys...

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:03:33 »
Nice. You can put like a profile 2 key to make all keys, different functions or letters perhaps like scoreboard, shortcut for missing mid, top, bot.
you can make it like a shift key where you have to hold it (and be baller and put a mx lock in there  :cool: )
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:44:41 »
the only issue I can see is the limited amount of buyers for this. If you were doing it to make money of course. It seems similiar to the ergo-dox to be honest. Just with way less keys.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:25:01 »
the only issue I can see is the limited amount of buyers for this. If you were doing it to make money of course. It seems similiar to the ergo-dox to be honest. Just with way less keys.

He told he was doing it for himself.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline llovro

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:48:04 »
Nice. You can put like a profile 2 key to make all keys, different functions or letters perhaps like scoreboard, shortcut for missing mid, top, bot.
you can make it like a shift key where you have to hold it (and be baller and put a mx lock in there  :cool: )
oh snap. That's a really really nice idea. But there are a few problems:
1) it would be hard to code this, and idk how to code
2) I would probably sometimes forget that I have this key activated and I would do some wierd **** in panic
Other than that it's a really cool idea. With this lock key I would look like asian 50000000 apm sc player :D
It's not about money, it's about fun. I don't think a lot of people would like this layout so if I would sell them I would sell only 3-5 (thats optimistic). It might seem similar to ergodox but who would pay 300$ for ergodox just to use one side of it. This mobapad will be atleast half of the price of ergodox.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:00:38 »
This mobapad will be atleast half of the price of ergodox.

Not necessarily. One off plates and cases are expensive. A metal plate someone made for a similar project costed 80 (you could probably go acrylic cheaper I guess) bucks, and expect around 50 minimum for the case, if it's just layered acrylic. Then about 20 for the teensy. That's 150 right there, no switches or caps, and it has to be direct wired. If you want a pcb (you can etch one, but it's difficult and takes hazardous chemicals) it's way more expensive. And this is assuming everything comes out perfect the first try. The only real way to bring these prices down is ordering in bulk.

Dox is 200 for everything but caps, and it's also a good full board.

I'm not trying to turn you away from this project, just warning that you probably won't save nearly as much as you want to.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:02:37 by CommunistWitchDr »

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:05:56 »
Of course you'll get used to it after some pub games lol. I don't know how to code too but you're in the internet brotha!  :cool:

I'm not trying to turn you away from this project, just warning that you probably won't save nearly as much as you want to.

Totally agree. If you're gonna do this it must be some educational/fulfillment thing. Tho its a really good project!  :)

FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline llovro

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:10:25 »
This mobapad will be atleast half of the price of ergodox.

Not necessarily. One off plates and cases are expensive. A metal plate someone made for a similar project costed 80 (you could probably go acrylic cheaper I guess) bucks, and expect around 50 minimum for the case, if it's just layered acrylic. Then about 20 for the teensy. That's 150 right there, no switches or caps, and it has to be direct wired. If you want a pcb (you can etch one, but it's difficult and takes hazardous chemicals) it's way more expensive. And this is assuming everything comes out perfect the first try. The only real way to bring these prices down is ordering in bulk.

Dox is 200 for everything but caps, and it's also a good full board.

Don't worry. You wont turn me away from my project. I will give up only if I wont be able to make this happen. And I really don't know how did that guy pay 80$ for a plate. It seems unreal if you ask me. Mobapad will be my summer project and my mum said that she's going to give me some money for it, so I guess I'm fine ;)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:21:31 »
Well it was steel. The material alone isn't cheap, and laser time for metal works out to more than acrylic. It needs a more powerful laser too. I had priced some metal plates before myself and you can expect to pay a lot.

Also, would you be open to etching a pcb yourself or would you have to send for it to be made?

Offline llovro

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:34:58 »
Well it was steel. The material alone isn't cheap, and laser time for metal works out to more than acrylic. It needs a more powerful laser too. I had priced some metal plates before myself and you can expect to pay a lot.

Also, would you be open to etching a pcb yourself or would you have to send for it to be made?
What about aluminium plate? Would that be cheaper? And if I ever suceed to make this pcb I won't etch it myself.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:46:08 »
Perhaps. If you want affordable you'll have to go with acrylic case/plate though.

If you don't want to etch the pcb yourself, you'll have to direct wire or pay a lot. I don't know how much, but I hear it aint cheap.

Fortunately direct wiring doesn't look too hard if you have the time to do it.

Offline llovro

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 15:15:04 »
Im already thinking about black acrylic plate and case, since metal plate looks ugly (atleast to me). Also the case will have open switch design (I think, I may change my mind later on). Anyways, I will delay this project for a bit because I want to design a more simple pcb first. Idk, a numpad maybe.
The point of this project is to get experience with making pcbs, plates, and so on. I will need a bit of help, but I hope I can handle some stuff myself.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:06:41 »
What is the point?  There is nothing wrong with using a normal kb...

Also LoL uses A for attack move (or shift) and ctrl/alt. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:11:28 »
The keys are too far apart.  I wouldn't even be able to reach the 3 keys in the upper right.

Offline llovro

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 01:27:43 »
What is the point?  There is nothing wrong with using a normal kb...

Also LoL uses A for attack move (or shift) and ctrl/alt. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm making this for fun dude.
The keys are too far apart.  I wouldn't even be able to reach the 3 keys in the upper right.
If you mean the 't', 'f' and F1 buttons, I can reach t and f easily but have some problems with f button. I guess I have long fingers then :P

Offline llovro

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 04:55:17 »
More
So I was playing a bit in kicad and was following this tutorial: http://deskthority.net/wiki/KiCAD_keyboard_PCB_design_guide
And this is the piece of **** I made:

It's nothing. I was just playing around. So, can anyone tell me if this is made okay?

**** it I'm going handwired.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 June 2013, 11:51:05 by llovro »