Author Topic: One year after the Exodus...  (Read 18001 times)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
One year after the Exodus...
« on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:00:08 »
One year ago today, after several weeks of battling the forces of pointless Internet mischief, the GeekHack of old succumbed.  The ever-empathetic administrators of Deskthority, in an effort to contain the rampaging hordes of displaced keyboard enthusiasts, were kind enough to take us in and give us a home within their forum.  To commemorate that fateful day and the weeks that followed in the Geekhacker refugee camp, we are releasing a new, eye-bleeding theme for Geekhack: Austre.  For the next few weeks it will be the forum default, as a tip of our hat to the authority that inspired it.

Thank you deskthority.net, for taking us in during those tumultuous times!

If your Gunnars aren't even enough to tame the new theme, you can change it back to whatever you like from your profile.  The old default was "Thoriated".
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:53:18 by rknize »
Russ

Offline Rhinofeed

• Formerly nathaniel_h
    • Rhinofeed
Re: One year after the Exodus...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:02:27 »
This looks fantastic!

Offline Hades

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:05:22 »
I like this eye-bleeding theme.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:05:25 »
Very cool way to show DT that we are appreciative for putting up with GH shenanigans during that time
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:05:45 »
I agree, it's perfect for me!  I'll be keeping it.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:08:07 »
I was wondering what happened - index page Nostalgia, topic page what I initially called Whitestalgia.

Might give it a go for a while, although I generally prefer darker themes.

Or yellow.

And congratulations on how quickly and strongly GH has been reborn since those bad old days.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:12:18 »
I actually searched to find this thread page just to say I like this almost clean look. It's almost sterile looking. Will be keeping it. Thanks, rknize! Doing awesome stuff for GH like always :)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:22:06 »
It's a neat and very clean look, but I'm a darkie myself. I wish DT had a dark theme option.

One year....****, that was a gnarly time on many levels.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline clockwork

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:29:04 »
My first reaction was that the CSS didn't load properly, and had dropped the color settings to default, since it switched between composing a post and actually posting it. It isn't terrible (though it is a bit more eye blazing than I prefer), but it appears to have one glaring issue for me: sticky posts are barely shaded and don't stick out well at all.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:36:45 »
This theme is easier on the eyes, although it still feels a bit awkward right now because I'm so use to the dark theme.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:37:41 »
One small suggestion - to make it easier to differentiate the quick reply textarea at the bottom of the page :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:40:01 »
This theme is easier on the eyes, although it still feels a bit awkward right now because I'm so use to the dark theme.

I'm stock on Nostalgia, everything else just feels too foreign...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:41:35 »

I'm stock on Nostalgia, everything else just feels too foreign...

I'm feeling this way, but I use Nocturne on Mac in the morning so I don't strain my eyes, and Nostalgia comes out bright white :(

So I want to try this tomorrow morning to see if it comes out dark, which it probably will, with the added bonus that I will be able to see the pictures properly.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:56:35 »
i've actually been using it for weeks and love it. hah! sometimes i just need that hit of extra contrast

that said, our normal default and nostalgia are both much easier on the eyes.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Sai

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 01:03:51 »
sorry i change back to old theme. the new one gives me headache.  :(
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 01:07:41 »
If you want an even more DT-like theme, fixed width, plus a lot simpler info-layout... you can give my userstyle a try: http://userstyles.org/styles/87758/aggiejy-s-geekhack-light-theme-1  I've been using it for a while, and it works great on top of this new theme.  Not for everyone, but choices are good!

Offline Larken

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 01:08:22 »
I like it. But it's kinda bright compared to the old theme.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 01:20:26 »
"AAAAAGH WTF!?" Was my first response. I just took a long hot shower and washed my hair and scrubbed everything i could reach, twice.

I come back and geekhack is BLINDING WHITE!

There was a moment of uncertainty, before i realized my eyes told the truth.

But now that i'm not freaking out in crisis mode, wondering wtf happened to my eyes, i have to agree with most of the previous comments: it's not terrible, but i prefer darker themes. Too much light is accelerating the catalytic process that breaks down the fluid in my eyes, which will eventually, inevitably result in loss of useful vision. Or i'm just really light sensitive from all the years of staring at computer screens and too much cannabis. In case you're wondering, no, i don't like sunlight, or even daytime very much. In case you weren't wondering: HA! i've claimed a few of your brain cells.

Meanwhile, since we're on the topic of themes and colorways, i'll just mention Solarized. I'm not a huge fan of the greener shades of blue, nor the bluer shades of green, but i find the overall presentation of Solarized very relaxing to view. Maybe something could happen with that. Or i'm just rambling because the OMG SO WHITE gave me an adrenaline dose, and i needed to type it out.

As for function suggestions (might as well...), i've found it slightly annoying to target those tiny page numbers @1080p with medium-high sensitivity mouse. Are there keyboard controls for site navigation that i don't know about? It would certainly make sense for such controls to exist, particularly for a keyboard enthusiast site.

Man, i just realized... i can still see this with my eyes closed. lol.
Logitech G710+

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 01:54:25 »
Interesting that all members were switched to the new theme regardless ;)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 03:01:39 »
I love this theme, it's fresh.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 05:07:47 »

Congratulations on 200 posts, morpheus! :)

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 05:19:57 »
New theme is cool too but i like the old one better so i will be switching to it for now :)
What the hell am I even doing

Offline morpheus

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 06:16:58 »

Congratulations on 200 posts, morpheus! :)

Thanks rowdy! I feel the love  :-*

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 06:17:35 »
Nevermind I had to clear my cache....it works now....!

I should not changing it back to nostalgia works...my eyes bled for a few minutes in the process.  :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 06:39:03 by ray4jc »

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 06:20:04 »
i changed it back to nostalgia.  too bright on my eyes  :eek:
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 06:55:49 »
It looks great but why is there so much wasted space at the top? Nearly 40% of my screen is taken up with the logo, avatar etc.

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 07:11:17 »
Clicking the arrow in the upper right hand corner of the screen hides the header.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 07:21:14 »
Clicking the arrow in the upper right hand corner of the screen hides the header.

Thanks! I didn't even see it!

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 07:24:09 »
The new theme looks nice, but a darker theme is just easier on my eyes :P
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 07:25:10 »
The new theme looks nice, but a darker theme is just easier on my eyes :P

Same here. The slightly darker brown tones of the previous default setting make things a bit easier to read.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 07:43:24 »
Wow.  I just realized how long I've been here.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 07:45:10 »
You're an old man Tipo33 :P

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 09:25:00 »
I really like this theme. I also think it works brilliantly with my avatar :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:41:56 »
AND YEA, SO IT WAS, THAT CHAOS REIGNED ACROSS THE LANDS OF GEEKHACK

a single ship floated, crossing the great sea, oars straining against the waves and hull of hunger and despair. "NO MORE ATTACHMENTS?!", they cried, tears streaming. "NO MORE WIKIS?!", they cried, their homelands lost, naught but fields, streams, ravines, gulches in their own memories and in the stories they told each other for comfort.

when they sighted land, half were crazed with hunger, the other half fixated on the bodies of the dead. hence the watchman, with a shout "LAND, YEA LAND!", all turned and crowded against the bow, pushing on each other and the rail, little ones half crushed by the pressure of the desperate but whose lungs suddenly filled with hope. all on board now would live. the land of deskthority awaited. a temporary home to be sure, but a home nonetheless...

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:56:15 »
Folks have been asking for a clean, light theme.  We did not have anything like that until now.  It's not going to be to everyone's tastes.  I prefer Nostalgia, myself.  :)

The old default theme was "Thoriated", in case you are wondering.  The theme picker has thumbnails to help you choose:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=theme;sa=pick
Russ

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 11:59:25 »
Need some time to get used to the new theme (used to press "TAB" 5 times to login, now 8 times)... But like the modern look :)
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 12:06:01 »
AND YEA, SO IT WAS, THAT CHAOS REIGNED ACROSS THE LANDS OF GEEKHACK

a single ship floated, crossing the great sea, oars straining against the waves and hull of hunger and despair. "NO MORE ATTACHMENTS?!", they cried, tears streaming. "NO MORE WIKIS?!", they cried, their homelands lost, naught but fields, streams, ravines, gulches in their own memories and in the stories they told each other for comfort.

when they sighted land, half were crazed with hunger, the other half fixated on the bodies of the dead. hence the watchman, with a shout "LAND, YEA LAND!", all turned and crowded against the bow, pushing on each other and the rail, little ones half crushed by the pressure of the desperate but whose lungs suddenly filled with hope. all on board now would live. the land of deskthority awaited. a temporary home to be sure, but a home nonetheless...

Is this why you love WhaleBro? Did he lead you to the temporary home of Deskthority?

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 12:17:35 »
Looks nice, but it did make me double check that I wasn't blocking GH's css  :))
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 12:43:05 »
Looks good!

I've posted a link to this thread on DT - http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/geekhack-pays-tribute-t6049.html 

Rknize - I've quoted you (almost in full), hope that's okay.

That year went by real quick - must be my age.

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 13:26:22 »
whalebro has parted many seas, but girldc had not formed Him in his image yet at that time. the story of whalebro is one for another day, youngun...

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 17:26:04 »
It looks great but why is there so much wasted space at the top? Nearly 40% of my screen is taken up with the logo, avatar etc.

^THIS :-(
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:09:02 »

^THIS :-(

Click here (top right)

to get this

- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:09:45 »
ow. i'm used to DT being bright. dont change peoples' themes if they're on nostalgia... we're a bunch of grumps.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:11:12 »

^THAT  :-)
Russ

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 20:36:48 »
If you want an even more DT-like theme, fixed width, plus a lot simpler info-layout... you can give my userstyle a try: http://userstyles.org/styles/87758/aggiejy-s-geekhack-light-theme-1  I've been using it for a while, and it works great on top of this new theme.  Not for everyone, but choices are good!

THANK YOU

I love it! ;D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 00:32:49 »
AND YEA SO IT WENT FOR TWENTY ONE DAYS

the attackers gloated, razing settlements and sending smoke signals across the ocean so dense that the refugees hacked and coughed in their miasma. five years, FIVE YEARS of progress lost by a single rm -rf. backups, gone as well, all planned by the attackers, who danced on every grave they could find, smashed every piece of irreplaceable artwork they stumbled across, and probed every BIND entry they could get to before the the refugees managed to pull appropriate plugs.

they, the r00tw0rm, had wanted our domain name. they did not get it, but they got our history, and that was much more valuable to us.

Offline calavera

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 00:56:47 »
keyboard drama. awesome.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 01:47:30 »
I want my dark theme back. = (
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 05:54:11 »
I want my dark theme back. = (

You know you can change in profile, right?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 08:17:34 »
Folks have been asking for a clean, light theme.  We did not have anything like that until now.  It's not going to be to everyone's tastes.  I prefer Nostalgia, myself.  :)

:thumbs: