Poll

Which theme should be the default at GeekHack?

Austere (current)
61 (26.4%)
Thoriated (previous)
61 (26.4%)
Nostalgia
109 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Author Topic: [POLL] Forum default theme  (Read 28948 times)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
[POLL] Forum default theme
« on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 11:48:17 »
After July 18th, we plan to return to the old default theme for GeekHack (Thoriated).  The original theme for the new GeekHack was Oranje, but we actually relaunched with Thoriated as a last-minute change.  These are closely based on the default SMF theme, Curve.  Nostalgia was created to bring back the look and feel of the old GeekHack and Austere is the antithesis of that look.

Anyone can choose whatever theme they prefer in their profile, so this is not necessarily a question about which theme is your favorite.  Which theme should newcomers see when they first come to GeekHack?
Russ

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: [POLL] Forum default theme
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 11:49:50 »
Nostalgia seems more welcoming, and homely where as the white ones seem too clean and medical, just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 11:58:57 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 13:30:16 »
Yes, I agree with Tym. Nostalgia is how Geekhack is supposed to look, and should be the default that new members see.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 14:55:20 »
Nostalgia is the only one that doesn't make my eyes sore.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 15:02:24 »
I'm going to take the contrary opinion, but hear me out. I think the theme should be Austere for new and unauthenticated users, because it fits better with the current minimalist web style trends, and new users coming here for the first time will likely expect/enjoy it the most. Leave nostalgia to the old timers and those who prefer the darker themes.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 19:04:33 »
Nostalgia is such high contrast, I can't stand using it.  At least on my IPS monitors.  I don't know if it looks more reasonable on faded TN panels.  The previous theme was okay (not a big fan of the colors, but at least it didn't hurt my eyes).  The new theme is nice.  A bit too bright, but most usable for me.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 19:50:56 »
My thoughts:

1- What is the goal of the default theme?
2- What themes would GH choose to offer... (I'm not sure that 'says' anything about GH)

DISCLAIMER: I use Nostalgia because I prefer dark screens, and I have a minimum 24" bright quality screen and white is often overpowering even when brightness is turned lower. I often am in a dark room at night (relaxing) and bright screens can be a bit too exciting :)  Deskthority is too bright for me.

If the goal is to "sell" GH and gain new members, and to use the default theme to initially attract and entice as a sales tool, what theme would do that best? A theme that is mainstream/common/fits like a glove, or a little different and stands out from the rest?

I did use Thoriated for quite a while, it is nice, but I prefer dark.

As far as newcomers, if you want them to click away happily, we need a GeekHack Girl (unfortunately my girlfriend won't even hear of it, so don't ask) in a GeekHack wet t-shirt, GeekHack ball cap, all in GeekHack colors.

These are my thoughts.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 20:34:53 »
Nostalgia! It's the true Geekhack theme!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 20:50:53 »
one theme to rule them all
one theme to find them
one theme to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them

in the land of geekhack where the shadows lie.

what more do you need? nostalgia is the only way.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 21:38:33 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 20:53:29 »
Definitely nostalgia. Dark themes are so much easier on the eyes, and it's the true GH theme!
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 20:56:06 »
I still haven't decided.  I'm trying the new theme, but it is a bit bright.  Probably switch back to Nostalgia soon.

OTOH most serious online forums have a white background (e.g. Oracle, Apple, Microsoft), and many trendy gamer-oriented web sites have dark background (e.g. Nvidia, Blizzard).

But ... it would be nice to hear from some new members what they think.  It seems to be mostly older (i.e. joined longer ago) members who prefer Nostalgia.

Only 1 person with < 400 posts has contributed, and he said "Austere".
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 20:58:17 »
Nostalgia is the only way!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 21:16:04 »
Dark themes are so much easier on the eyes, and it's the true GH theme!

I agree.  But what's up with the near-neon orange (when contrasted with black)!  That's definitely not easy on eyes.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 00:54:25 »
If the profanity filter can be turned off on nostalgia, (which I just checked again and it looks like it now can be) then thats my vote.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 00:57:56 »
Nostalgia.

#vintage
I love Elzy

Offline wcass

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 15:23:44 »
i voted for nostalgia too. i like the orange and black. my only complaint is the rare white-text-on-orange.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 15:57:50 »
Nostalgia!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 01:10:34 »
Nostalgia IS GeekHack. All the rest are just... Wrong...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 01:11:47 »
Nostalgia is horrible, it makes GH look old.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 01:15:57 »
Yeah well Nostalgia doesn't make my eyes bleed. You can vote for and change to one of the 'other themes'.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 05:58:48 »
Nostalgia...
We should also make a Ripster-Posting-Bot!

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 14:32:30 »
No bot can compete with the real thing. I say let him back in with maybe a 1 post per hour restriction so some of you guys don't start raising pitchforks about his 'spamming'. I loved both his intellectual input AND 'spamming' equally.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:10:30 »
i just noticed the new theme doesn't show who is looking at the thread you have open

Example:
Glod and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
that doesn't show up with the new theme but is in nostalgia

Offline calavera

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:13:26 »
Don't care what the default is as long as I have an option to switch to a dark one.

Offline crazee64

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 19:38:09 »
I've only registered an hour or so ago and I've already changed my theme to Thoriated as I found it softer on the eyes.
/my $0.02
Keyboards: Ducky 9008G2PRO PBT (MX Browns)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 07:37:09 »
No bot can compete with the real thing. I say let him back in with maybe a 1 post per hour restriction so some of you guys don't start raising pitchforks about his 'spamming'. I loved both his intellectual input AND 'spamming' equally.

Didn't De$kth0r!ty try to put him on a one post per hour limit?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 11:48:39 »

Yes, and yet he was still perma-banned there too... NICKELS!
R.I.P.ster

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 11:57:01 »
Nostalgia IS GeekHack. All the rest are just... Wrong...

This.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 12:17:43 »

PING!

On topic, I also agree that Nostalgia is the best way to go.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 12:23:26 »
RTFW! Nostalgia is the true GeekHack, the others are just sheep in wolves clothing. Would you trust a sheep that liked to cosplay as a wolf?
R.I.P.ster

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 20:40:11 »
Yeah well Nostalgia doesn't make my eyes bleed. You can vote for and change to one of the 'other themes'.

RTFW! Nostalgia is the true GeekHack, the others are just sheep in wolves clothing. Would you trust a sheep that liked to cosplay as a wolf?

ugh. can i retract my vote for nostalgia? i don't think i like it as much anymore
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 00:49:52 »
Nostalgia Ftw. Please do it so we don't have to worry about our posts being unreadable on other color schemes!

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 01:13:35 »
Nostalgia Ftw. Please do it so we don't have to worry about our posts being unreadable on other color schemes!

He already did... Quite a while ago infact... Just open GH in a different browser (as a guest) and you'll see that it's nostalgia you're greeted with.
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 10:37:46 »
Yup, we did the cut-over on the 18th...the 1-year anniversary of the site relaunch.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45937.0
Russ

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 17:53:46 »
How about treating site visitors to the "Hotdog Stand" theme?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 18:15:04 »
Mcdonalds?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 20:03:14 »
Windows 3.1. That brings back memories. My engineering prof said that he didn't think DOS would advance past version 5.0, as it was as sophisticated as anyone would ever need at that point. Just a few years later, and we were all using DOS 7 underneath the GUI of Windows 95/98.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:13:21 »
How about treating site visitors to the "Hotdog Stand" theme?
Show Image

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Nzen

• Nzen: Blogs
Re: poll sans pics
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 22:35:47 »
A poll about visuals without pictures is a recipe for buyers remorse.

I scraped these pictures from the waybackmachine, but don't know which is which. I think the upper left is thoriated? If someone would name each of the depicted themes, I can fix the image. (and cast a meaningful vote.)

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 23:48:45 »
3 of those are from before my time considering the logo, and no longer exist. This poll was for deciding what the default theme that only unregistered users are forced to use would be. Since you are registered you can just change the theme in your profile settings, and vote accordingly. But this poll has long been decided, so your vote won't really mean much. So if I were you I would just test them all out and keep using the one that you like the best.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Olitender

Re: poll sans pics
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:31:47 »
A poll about visuals without pictures is a recipe for buyers remorse.

I scraped these pictures from the waybackmachine, but don't know which is which. I think the upper left is thoriated? If someone would name each of the depicted themes, I can fix the image. (and cast a meaningful vote.)

Show Image

That made it much easier. Thanks!
Going into heat.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:34:18 »
Why is this thread still open?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:45:25 »
Why is this thread still open?

So people like us can keep talking about the dead horse.

Offline kilogeek

• Nostalgy of a time when quality was a value
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 21:59:36 »
I was the bugging member who said default theme menu made me blind  :))

But I love these black background themes

The only thing that hurts is white text on orange background for the menu, I would like either black text or a dark red replacing orange colors,
also round corners on the border... I would replace that with dotted border with square corners, looks more tech.

Just let me 30 mins and I come back with a mockup to show what I mean ^^ (rebel rebel)

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 22:39:39 by kilogeek »
"Ne pas subir" - Devise de Saint-Cyr.

Offline kilogeek

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 22:38:48 »
Here it is :

52788-0

Offline kilogeek

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 23:00:20 »
Also a "blueprint" theme could be very nice, but this means changing all color scheme for dark blue background and lighter blue foregrounds, I can do the job it if an admin can send me the current CSS files (including pics) by mail, no need for PHP, I will just grab HTML outputs to do the job. I agree white themes don't really fit with Geekhack scope^^

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 14:26:59 »
I also think that we could use some dark theme in muted tones.  I would use the black/orange theme, but the orange is very high contrast on my glossy IPS monitor and is not at all enjoyable.  I've been using Austere for the most neutral pleasant combination but do wish it were darker. 

If we could get something like black or dark gray background with text/dividers in neutral shades of white/gray/pale blue, etc. --it'd be amazing.

And...  Could we maybe get a dark Solarized theme?

http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 14:28:33 »
I also think that we could use some dark theme in muted tones.  I would use the black/orange theme, but the orange is very high contrast on my glossy IPS monitor and is not at all enjoyable.  I've been using Austere for the most neutral pleasant combination but do wish it were darker. 

If we could get something like black or dark gray background with text/dividers in neutral shades of white/gray/pale blue, etc. --it'd be amazing.

And...  Could we maybe get a dark Solarized theme?

http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

That would be pretty cool, I'd be pretty into a monochrome theme, or something like nostalgia but with green :cool:

Offline kilogeek

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:08:55 »
nothing to do with theme but I WOULD LOVE A BOTTOM-RIGHT STATIC BUTTON that brings back to top of page :)  Same as on e-bay site.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:14:00 »
nothing to do with theme but I WOULD LOVE A BOTTOM-RIGHT STATIC BUTTON that brings back to top of page :)  Same as on e-bay site.

Can't you just use the home button?