Author Topic: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.  (Read 325844 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.
« on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:51:32 »
The staff received this message from Smallfry's father.

"Two weeks ago [on the 14th], Nathan (SmallFry) was struck by a car and suffered a traumatic brain injury.  He spent the last two weeks fighting his injury, but passed away yesterday.  [text specific to jwaz]"

Sorry, I'm breaking up here, but I'm going to do my best to start this off.

Smallfry was one of our most active, rambuctious, at times brilliant, but always always ambitious and sorry.. I actually need a second here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:54:53 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: In requiem: smallfry aka Nathan W.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:51:38 »
Smallfry was one of our most energetic posters, and there is no question in my mind at all that he was one of the main pillars of this community. His positive energy, willingness and eagerness to help, his spirit contributed so much positivity to the forum.. There is no question he will be missed by many; everyone on staff, and I know many of you out there were very close to him as well.

OK, sorry, that's all I can get out right now.

Nate's father passed on this link to us. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/natewalter

Please leave your messages of grief and whatever other feelings this might bring up both here and there, but there especially, as his family is focused on that site.

I can tell you definitively that Nate will be missed on geekhack, quite viscerally, and I can only imagine what his family is going through right now. We will organize something a bit more organized shortly. In
the meantime, please use this thread to leave your thoughts on geekhack.

I WILL BE CONTINUALLY UPDATING THE TEXT BELOW TO REFLECT WHERE WE ARE IN ORGANIZING OURSELVES TO COMMEMORATE THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SMALLFRY

added 9:13a PDT. I highly encourage you to collect your thoughts, process what you need to process and leave both messages here for the community, so we can grieve together, and messages for his family on caringbridge, as they have likely been grieving for weeks now. Unfortunately, I know from experience that the family is often unaware of all of whom their child has touched and every message from someone who was close to their child, even years later, can help them process their overwhelming loss.

added 9:17a PDT. JesusWasAZombie Atakp has been in contact with Nate's father. Please contact Jwaz Atakp directly if you have more private messages for his family. Atakp: http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=23252

added 10:22a PDT.

26845-0

added 10:41a PDT. We were going to make this a big announcements with fanfair for the anniversary, but I think it is more appropriate make it a small announcement. The first Cherry legend set from Signature Plastics will be a white/orange polycarbonate and ABS set named "Nathan's set". We will cut extra legends to commemorate smallfry's life and contributions. Group buy information will be announced at a later date. Thanks to Kaporkle and |3oilermaker for the renders.

26841-1

26843-2

added 1:10p PDT. two commemorative key legend ideas: a small fries, his avatar (dyesub, graphics were i think drawn by moonprismpwr)

added 6:22a PDT, 6/20. nate's family will almost certainly be reading this page and is sensitive to graphic and vulgar language. you may feel that way (i sure do), but please refrain from using such language in the thread. thanks guys and gals. we will be moderating this thread in case you forget.

added 8:20a PDT. PLEASE PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE IN CONTACT WITH MR. W. PLEASE we are starting to organize and we want to make sure 110% that we respect and fulfill the family's wishes.

8:30a. smallfry is officially a moderator emeritus.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 June 2013, 10:31:23 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:53:09 »
I am speechless...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:54:37 »
Wow...I don't know what to say. Smallfry took me under his wing when I first joined GH. I actually got to meet him in real life at the Chicago meet earlier this year and I still have the stuff he traded me...He was really happy with the monitor he got. And he was supposed to help me set up this server.

I'm actually very shocked...that's really sad news :(

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:54:57 »
I don't know him well, but I remember his avatar... I will pay my respect.

I am amazed how well he is connected to this community, that his father actually contacted us and passed on the message...
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:59:31 by linziyi »
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 10:56:17 »
This is very sad.  The planet is big, but a community can still be small.  SmallFry was the friendly kid on the steps of the store who would talk to everyone in this community.  He will be remembered and missed.

There is a guestbook for him on this site:  http://www.caringbridge.org/

- Ron | samwisekoi
RIP SmallFry
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:09:02 »
Oh no. This can't be real.

SmallFry, I have your set of meebcaps here, and I'm sad we never got it worked out so I could send them to you. Thank you for being so supportive with all my testing on the idea, and all the advice you've given me since I joined GH. Also, thank you for all the support with the meebcast. We have a great crowd now, and it's really all your doing.

Farewell, buddy. You won't be forgotten. :'(
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline morpheus

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:12:37 »
RIP smallfry. I hope you're in a better place.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:12:41 »
A little googling showed that he lived around 6 miles from my grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, extended family.....

....small world. You'll be missed
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:17:44 »
Nathan was such a bundle of energy and so excited about this hobby of ours. His enthusiasm was infectious and he was always willing to lend a hand, nearly to the point of being selfless. From time-to-time his mouth would get ahead of his brain, but that was part of his charm and part of what made him such a joy to talk to -- you knew his heart was always in the right place.

I may not have met him in person, but I did meet an amazing, talented and spirited individual through this forum. I am grateful to have known this small part of his life.

Nathan's participation left a lasting impression on this community, the impact of which can never be filled. He will be missed.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:19:43 »
My mouth and hands are barely connected to my brain. In Smallfry I often saw a younger me, but with more support and I yearned to give him the kind of community that would support his burgeoning genius.

Sorry.. need a moment again.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:21:57 »
I remember the night before the Chicago meet that he was up texting me at like 11 pm. He was still building up someone's board and complaining that the SATs were cramping his style. He was going to show up late the Meet and he was bummed about it. I kept telling him to study and he was like no man, keyboards > SATs and I laughed so hard. He was dedicated in a way that I didn't understand at all.

I like to think in the last few months, I've come closer to understanding why he loved GH so much. And he was so involved here. He schooled me in so much about keyboard, computers, and was just a funny guy. Anyone remember his love of Taylor Swift? Dude showed up to the Chicago meet in a red Taylor Swift shirt. Ha...

I'm rambling and I'm sad...

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:24:59 »
What the hell... I always saw him here at GH, I loved his avatar. He was like a hero to me, in fact all of those who have 5000+ posts.

GH will miss you SmallFry :(
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:26:28 »
I'm sorry, I'm a total wreck right now. I may not be able to post coherently for a while.

Offline Lupizza

• Kung av Sverige!
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:29:13 »
May he rest in peace. :/
Left geekhack 2013-08-24, because of rude and arbitrary moderators.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:31:19 »
feel free to send me and the rest of the staff PMs about nate. we will be responding as we can. i am thinking that we should organize something for his family but i can't really think what at all right now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:34:31 by mkawa »

Offline Atakp

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:33:08 »
I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. I just had to sit in shock and disbelief for a while. He was an integral part of this community and he influenced a lot of people in a positive way.

His Father actually contacted me regarding any keyboard related stuff he had going in an attempt to tie up any loose ends. I ensured him that he need not worry about that stuff now and expressed my sympathy and condolences to him. He knows how much this community means to Nate.

SmallFry will be missed tremendously. His knowledge, enthusiasm, and energy were unmatched. 

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:34:22 »
This was awful, shocking news to wake up to this morning.  SmallFry was a friend and a pillar of the community.  A young hacker in the best sense of the word -- curious, intelligent, generous, fun-loving, and community-minded.  Geekhack will miss him.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:36:08 by hashbaz »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:35:55 »
It was just yesterday, I was wondering why I hadn't seen him chirping in on this, that and the other...
A very sad day and truly a loss for are community.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:35:58 »
Wow. I'm still in shock. He was always trying to be helpful and friendly. I remember being new on GH and he was one to never gets tired of answering questions no matter how elementary they were. He will be missed. RIP SmallFry.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:36:13 »
Really wanted to meet up with him at one of these hack events.  I can't handle this.  :'(
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:36:54 »
RIP smallfry. It's sad to see someone go out like that... I hope he's in a better place now.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:39:22 »
Unbelievable. Life is so short. RIP small fry.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:40:01 »
Will miss seeing him on IRC.

RIP in Peace son
I love Elzy

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:44:03 »
The first time i joined the irc a few months ago he was so helpful and friendly and we talked for a while about GH and keyboards.

when cpt texted me it was like hearing something literally unreal...this is all too sad.

going to miss him in IRC

RIP

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:48:06 »
This is so sudden :'(

We'll miss all the SmallFry posts, and respect to his father too.

Not many parents can hold themselves together at such a juncture and tie up such small loose ends.

RIP

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:51:37 »
I'm relatively new to GH. But I remember seeing him on the boards, from before I registered. He had a cheery, positive vibe about him.

Tomorrow is never guaranteed, life is such a fragile thing. RIP dude. :(

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:55:57 »
I am also speechless.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 11:56:48 »
Damn.  Smallfry was awesome.  This is horrible.  IRC will not be the same without him. I'll miss him.

I just can't believe this.  Just....damn. 

RIP buddy.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:05:26 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:12:54 »
 I am speechless...............

RIP SmallFry! ;(
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 20:39:34 by boost »
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:17:31 »
This is terrible news...

I will include Smallfry and his family and friends in my prayers.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:22:01 »
I didn't talk to smallfry much but from the few words we exchanged I could tell that he was an awesome guy. I was genuinely shocked when I read the OP.

He truly was a pillar of the community. Always willing to help with the most simple or difficult things. I'll miss his presence and I'm sure everyone else will too.

RIP
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:22:57 »
RIP Nate.... you will be missed..

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:23:04 »
totally speechless
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:25:20 »
totally speechless

This^ I feel like I'm frozen :(

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:36:50 »
Oh no :(  I did not know him, but he was certainly very active here, and I've seen LOTs of him posting all over the place, and his personality always came through.  I'm so very sorry, for him, for his family, and his friends--what an unfair way to end one's life, especially at such a young age  :'(

Rest in peace, Nathan "Smallfry".
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:43:30 »
I think you captured his spirit perfectly mkawa.  He was spastic and rambunctious, but also so willing to help, friendly, and just an accepting member of the community.  He had a way of bringing a little light or levity to most treads and he'll be horribly missed.  My thoughts are with his family as I know it's never easy to lose your child, especially one so young.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:46:50 »
Unreal is all i can say, it feels like yesterday he was on irc. R.I.P SmallFry, you will be missed.

Offline Larken

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:52:13 »
I've never conversed with him but his presence was always felt around the forums. Even if he seemed a little mouthy at times, I've always thought he seemed like a great guy. Geekhack won't be the same without him. I'll miss seeing him around.

My condolences to his family.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
Re: In remembrance: Smallfry aka Nathan W.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:56:11 »
Our condolences to the family. Smallfry was a very enthusiastic, happy person from what I could tell. He will be missed dearly by his family and friends, here and at home.

RIP Smallfry

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:57:56 »
Wow...... I never really got a chance to know smallfry but some members of this community just stick out you know? You could post a smallfry comment/joke in any thread on this forum and it wouldn't be long before he would chime in with something fun to say. White piece of paper anyone? 

I will definitely miss him here. GH has lost one of its finest members....

RIP SmallFry
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Rendom

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:58:32 »
Condolences to the family. I was wondering why I haven't seen him posting lately, he was everywhere before. Sad to see such a good enthusiast, and friendly person gone.

RIP SmallFry. I'll miss seeing his avatar on almost every thread.. Just feels different without it.  :'(
QFR - MX Blue

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:59:20 »
wow, I cant belive this. I dident know him that well, but i know he was a very active member, and i will never forget his avatar.
R.I.P. Smallfry you will be missed by many  :-[

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:01:23 »
holy ****, I'm in such disbelief right now...

May you rest in peace, buddy. And condolences to the family.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:02:40 »
I never really knew the effect this community had on me until this. It's very real now.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:03:30 »
No way...

It's so hard to believe that all of a sudden he's gone.

RIP Smallfry.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:07:57 »
Rip, he's typing with god now.

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:12:13 »
Nate:
A truly awesome bloke,  so very helpful and positive, so rarely angry.
Sharp as a tack, a bit crazy, crappy at math, great at soldering.
A solid negotiator able and willing to see and talk to folks through their facades.
Funny, creative, occasionally wise.
My friend.

An inspiration: I wish I could have been more like him, when I was his age, and now.
 I guess that's what the future is for.

dfj.

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:17:33 by dfj »
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:12:42 »
R.I.P.

I didn't know him but I know he was a avid and respected member of this community.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 13:15:52 »
I don't know what to say right now. I am still in shock. This is shaking my world right now. I'm so sorry he is gone. :'(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."