Author Topic: Big Brother 15 American Racism At it's Finest  (Read 27404 times)

Offline Lanx

Big Brother 15 American Racism At it's Finest
« on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 18:33:13 »

So even tho i watch  lot of reality tv with the wife, we just never picked up on Big Brother (seemed like a dorky version of the mole). But when you're traveling and hotel wifi is really, really, really bad, you turn on the tv (i don't have a cable subscription anymore with hulu) and you go, oh well big brother... why not.

Then the next day, i'm working out at the hotel gym and it's on again... why not... then you see the video

I guess (this is info from friends) the way big brother works now is tha
t you pay a subscription fee for the live 24/7 video feeds in the house, and the ppl that pay for this service have noticed that the white ppl are super racist/bigost just anything anti white... but they lovingly make fun of the gay boy to his face, and he takes it and loves it!... i mean they openly call him "kermit the F&&" and the white group laughs about it.

Really? where do these ppl come from? I mean i grew up in ny, moved to virginia in my 20's and now i'm in amish country pa, i've never seen this type of bigotry.

I mean aside from grade school taunts (i'm chinese) and getting called ch*nk once a year, or getting the slanty eyes, that was really it. And i lived in the white neighborhoods, right on the dividing line between the italians and jews (a slice of pizza was 10cents in my day). I went to boy scouts and that's where i learned all my racism, since my boy scout troup was comprised of all italians. They'd make fun of the polish, irish, jews, blacks, and they told me lots of asian jokes and sterotypes so i'd know what to "watch out for".

I mean is this just the young generation? is this how it is now?

so far there's tons of online backlash and the two blond girls got fired from their agencies/jobs and the fat white guy is being talked about (he's probably safe since he's part of a union).

But yea, i'm watching now for the racism!

Here's how a dinner party convo went down.
did you hear the racist thing the girl said on BB? (big brother)
which girl?
the white one
which white one?
the blond one
which blond one?
the dumb one?
lol... both are dumb
the dumber one
the jersey girl or the valley girl?
the valley girl
ok, what'd she say?
which race to you want to hear about her being racist towards?

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
Re: Big Brother 15 American Racism At it's Finest
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 21:46:51 »
Racism is alive and well in the U.S. among people of all age groups and races, most people just aren't very vocal about it outside of their own race.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 21:57:23 »
people show their true colors when they think others aren't looking.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Endzone

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:27:21 »
Racism is alive and well in the U.S. among people of all age groups and races, most people just aren't very vocal about it outside of their own race.

No, I respectfully disagree.  Most all racism is invented because the political left must have it in order to survive. 

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 23:53:15 »
Here we go.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 00:11:40 »

No, I respectfully disagree.  Most all racism is invented because the political left must have it in order to survive.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 00:23:51 »

I would respectfully say that you live under a rock, or are just playing pretend, which is what good right wing conservative christians are trained to do.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 00:23:51 »
Waiting for sth to show up to this party.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline jabar

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 00:41:55 »

cool  :cool:
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 00:49:08 »

I would respectfully say that you live under a rock, or are just playing pretend, which is what good right wing conservative christians are trained to do.

lets not forget this is the same guy (endzone) that takes pictures of random kids.

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 00:53:16 »
Racism is alive and well in the U.S. among people of all age groups and races
isn't it supposed to be a white race monopoly?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 00:53:54 »

lets not forget this is the same guy (endzone) that takes pictures of random kids.

:))

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 01:03:34 »

Maybe according to the media.  Blacks and Latinos are pretty racist against people outside of their race, but especially to each other.  Messican and mayate are two fun terms I've heard quite frequently growing up around blacks and Mexicans.  Asians are racist against people outside of their race, as well as other Asians from different countries, especially Vietnamese, most other Asians seem to hate them for some reason.  Obviously not everyone is racist, so those statements don't apply universally, but they are true to some extent.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 01:07:20 »
Everyone is terrible, and this will always be true.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Endzone

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 03:26:07 »
Hmmmmm, I take it we're allow to discuss this topic?  On a lot of college football boards I've been on, this topic is not allowed--especially if you say anything negative about a black man or woman. 

Offline Endzone

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 03:28:37 »

I wonder if you're afraid to live in a world where there is no racism?  That would mean no more affirmative action.  No more quotas and job slots just for black guys and every other kind of minority.  No more special privledges for being a minority.  No, you would just be another one of the guys.  Does that thought scare you? 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 03:48:38 »

On topic, that video was appalling, but typical of Big Brother.  It seems like there are a few decent people on their, but they pick people who they know will cause the most drama.

I was a little surprised that the person who put the video together put retarded and racial slurs and derogatory racial comments and homophobia on the same level. It's also worth noting that the racial and homophobic terms were used with obvious bigotry behind them while retarded was a generational thing and used mostly when they were referencing something stupid they did.  Retarded is something that needs to be addressed, but it does not have the hatred and vitriol behind it that the others do.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2013, 03:53:43 by nubbinator »

Offline theeattre

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 04:07:12 »
the problem is that "racism" has become a blanket term for bigotry, xenophobia, ignorance, and in the case of bb, sheer stupidity. these people aren't racist, they're just morons. they continuosly mimick behaviors they've seen because they've been continuously rewarded with laughter by their peers. quit giving people like this a power that doesn't exist. quit crediting them with having the intelligence to undermine a race of people. it's a stupid show for the masses. its premise alone is to expose the vapid shallowness of humanity. it's there to titillate and you fell for it. congrats, they convinced you this was something worth talking about while true racism, genocide and war are happening so conveniently far away from the u.s.

i'm not attacking, but this has facebook written all over it regardless of it being off topic...there are people talking about true racism in the us. if you're interested, might i recommend ta-nehisi coates. he writes for the atlantic. you might enjoy his legitimate arguments on contemporary racial issues.

Offline theeattre

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 04:09:40 »
also, they took our jobs.

Offline iri

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 07:10:54 »
Blacks and Latinos are pretty racist against people outside of their race, but especially to each other
well, i know what you mean, but have to say that "latinos" is a vague term. colombians are latinos, and racism is a ridiculous thing for them. chileans are latinos as well, and they are pretty much racists.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:22:34 »
I wonder if you're afraid to live in a world where there is no racism?  That would mean no more affirmative action.  No more quotas and job slots just for black guys and every other kind of minority.  No more special privledges for being a minority.  No, you would just be another one of the guys.  Does that thought scare you? 
You're kidding right?  Please explain these make believe "special privileges" you speak of.  I've never benefited from being a minority, except maybe I didn't grow up eating bland food.  People like you can't accept it when others are more qualified, so you pull the race card and say you didn't get the job because of affirmative action, even though the employer probably doesn't participate in that crap.  I've never even had to list my race on an application, and I've had tons of jobs, which makes me think that the affirmative action adoption rate by employers must be pretty low.  Employers hire me because of my resume, not race.  Maybe affirmative action is applicable in government jobs, or in jobs that any warm bodied idiot could do, but those are jobs that nobody should aspire to.  So no, that thought doesn't scare me.

well, i know what you mean, but have to say that "latinos" is a vague term. colombians are latinos, and racism is a ridiculous thing for them. chileans are latinos as well, and they are pretty much racists.
People tend not to be as racist in their home countries as they are after living here.  Racism seems to be an American thing.  Hell, I've had friends from Africa talk crap about black people that grew up here, something I doubt they would have done in their native country.  Also, most people these days are past racism, but it still does exist, and contrary to what TV tells you, white people don't have a monopoly on it.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:34:42 »
Also, more on topic, a lot of those examples like making jokes about having an Asian lady do your nails doesn't make you a racist, it just makes you ignorant, or a jerk.  I have a really good Chinese friend that I sometimes threaten to blindfold with dental floss, and I've asked Mexican friends if they can do my landscaping for me.  Also, the lady in my avatar is obviously not me, I just find humor in what some black people think is cool these days.  Does that make me a racist?  No, it makes me a ****.  My friends make equally stupid comments to me.  That's part of the fun of having friends of different races, you can poke fun at each other, but nobody is going to take those comments seriously.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:37:54 by quickcrx702 »

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 13:35:44 »
Also, most people these days are past racism, but it still does exist, and contrary to what TV tells you, white people don't have a monopoly on it.

I grew up in an area in the East (US) that was 90+ percent white and RARELY heard any racist terms. When I moved to a huge TX city I was shocked at the rampant racism...coming from everybody but white people. Sure, white people do it, but so does everyone else. You are lying to yourself if you don't believe that.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 15:32:25 »
Is it okay to look down on bigots? :o
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline iri

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 16:14:32 »
contrary to what TV tells you
tv tells me nothing, i am so deaf to it

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:02:54 »
god. i hope tp4tissue never sees this thread.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Lanx

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:12:20 »
the sad thing is, unless CBS steps in, one of these racists/bigoists are gonna win half a million, the alliance of hate is strong with these little ones.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:27:52 »
god. i hope tp4tissue never sees this thread.

He'll just tell everyone to shut up and go buy an Ergodox.

Offline Endzone

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:46:28 »
People tend not to be as racist in their home countries as they are after living here.  Racism seems to be an American thing.  Hell, I've had friends from Africa talk crap about black people that grew up here, something I doubt they would have done in their native country.  Also, most people these days are past racism, but it still does exist, and contrary to what TV tells you, white people don't have a monopoly on it.

It's people like Rev. JJ and Big Al and the liberal left that have a monopoly on racism.  It is an industry to them.  White people want racism to go away, but minorites and especially blacks want to keep it alive.  Without racism, the massive transfer of wealth to the black community and other minority communities stops.  The democrats would no longer have a 95% lock on the black vote.  Minorities could no longer blame whitey if things don't go their way.  There would be no incentive to act like your from the ghetto and speak ebonics and act like you're dumb. 

And Mr. Quick, how do you know you didn't get the job because of affirmative action?  HR NEVER tells anybody if they were hired or denied because of affirmative action.  There is a lot of pressure for companies to fill up their government mandated affirmative action rolls.  That is racism by the left--not the white majority.  The political left wants there to be racism, and they don't want racism to end.  Put yourself in my shoes for a minute.  Can you imagine how tired I am of minorities calling white people racist?  Man I'm 56, and I've heard this nonsense all my life.  So for the past 45 years I've heard how racist white people are, but the fact is that we really aren't.  It's just that race baiters want to keep the racism industry alive and well because it is so lucrative for them. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:49:34 by Endzone »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:53:58 »
White people want racism to go away

kkk, neonazis, stormfront, the really really conservative right.

yeah, they want racism to go away.

actually, nope, i am wrong. they don't want racism to stay.

they want everybody that isnt a white christian to die/go away.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:56:22 »

And Mr. Quick, how do you know you didn't get the job because of affirmative action?  HR NEVER tells anybody if they were hired or denied because of affirmative action.  There is a lot of pressure for companies to fill up their government mandated affirmative action rolls. 

I could link you study after study after study  that shows you're less likely to be hired if you have an ethnic sounding name or speak with an urban dialect.    I could show you studies upon studies that show how race is still a significant item even today, from the animalization of black men and women in advertisements to different institutionalized racisms to covert and subconscious racist acts.

And there is no such thing as a "government mandated affirmative action roll".  You only have to show you have a diverse workforce and maintain a predominantly white workforce with your few token minorities if you're competing for government contracts.

I'm looking for work right now and the biggest hindrance to my finding a job hasn't been minorities, it's been veteran's preferences given by companies to returning vets.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:58:02 »
also, don't white women benefit more from affirmative action than minorities?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:07:08 »

Not really. 

And you have to keep in mind that there are still massive wage gaps between male and female employees.  Women are often paid less than their male counterparts in education and in STEM jobs.  Both of those are interesting for different reasons.  Men are the minority in the teaching force, so it's surmised that men are paid more to attract more male teachers.  It may also be that men are more likely to receive higher paid private school education jobs, but I haven't seen the data there.  What's interesting about the STEM element is that there is an active push by many companies to encourage more female STEM majors and to hire more of them, but even so, they're still making, on average 14% less than their male counterparts.  That's better than the 21% less average derived from all work, but still not great.

- P.S. sorry for the statistics, I graduated with my M.A. in Sociology not too long ago, so I did all kinds of studying and research on this stuff.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:10:03 »
no need to be sorry, stats to back up your claims is awesome.

and thank you, learned something new today.

Offline Endzone

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:18:47 »

Always a victim aren't you demik?  Poor little demik.  It's everybody else's fault.  Poor baby. 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:21:39 »
impossible. im not white. i have no minorities to hold me down or make me racist.

Offline Endzone

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:24:25 »

Not really. 

And you have to keep in mind that there are still massive wage gaps between male and female employees.  Women are often paid less than their male counterparts in education and in STEM jobs.  Both of those are interesting for different reasons.  Men are the minority in the teaching force, so it's surmised that men are paid more to attract more male teachers.  It may also be that men are more likely to receive higher paid private school education jobs, but I haven't seen the data there.  What's interesting about the STEM element is that there is an active push by many companies to encourage more female STEM majors and to hire more of them, but even so, they're still making, on average 14% less than their male counterparts.  That's better than the 21% less average derived from all work, but still not great.

- P.S. sorry for the statistics, I graduated with my M.A. in Sociology not too long ago, so I did all kinds of studying and research on this stuff.

That's cuz women take suggestions and men take orders.  That's why companies are willing to pay men 20% more, and I don't blame them.  Men deliver the goods more than women do. 

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:29:15 »

Always a victim aren't you demik?  Poor little demik.  It's everybody else's fault.  Poor baby.

Says the guy blaming everyone else for Caucasian male privilege being taken away.

Pretty sure that's not what he said, but hey, what's a little truth stretching to make it about your twisted, ignorant point, am I right?

I mean, seriously are you doing this (and the out of left field christian nonesense) because it's been calm and relatively no-effort troll free or did you just decide it's time to let yourself be heard, because hey, it's the internet, no consequences for being a crazy old white man?

And there's the answer:

Not really. 

That's cuz women take suggestions and men take orders.  That's why companies are willing to pay men 20% more, and I don't blame them.  Men deliver the goods more than women do. 

You have no interest in discourse, but merely spouting fringe lunacy.  What's next, telling people that the reason we hear the sounds of helicopters is to prepare us for the sounds of a police state?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 19:33:59 »

Way to make gross generalizations about an entire gender that are completely untrue and based upon sexist gendered stereotypes.  Women may do things differently in the workforce, but it has nothing to do with them "taking suggestions" and men "taking orders".  Even when you look at corporate executives, female executives make less money than their male counterparts and many of them are ruthless.

And when you look at career women who never have children and spend their whole life in the workforce, they're paid less than men.  The only reason the wage gap appears as small as it is now is because more women are college graduates than men.  When you control for college degrees in the workforce, the wage gap dramatically increases.

But whatever, you probably feel women belong in the kitchen and making babies and should shut up when a man is talking to them, that Jews run Hollywood and control the banks, that black people all feel entitled and are lazy and that's why there's a disproportionate number on welfare, that illegal Mexicans are taking good American jobs that would be otherwise taken by some middle class white people, and so on and so forth.  There will be no reasoning with you even if you're given a mountain of evidence.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 22:21:05 »

And Mr. Quick, how do you know you didn't get the job because of affirmative action?  HR NEVER tells anybody if they were hired or denied because of affirmative action.  There is a lot of pressure for companies to fill up their government mandated affirmative action rolls.  That is racism by the left--not the white majority.  The political left wants there to be racism, and they don't want racism to end.  Put yourself in my shoes for a minute.  Can you imagine how tired I am of minorities calling white people racist?  Man I'm 56, and I've heard this nonsense all my life.  So for the past 45 years I've heard how racist white people are, but the fact is that we really aren't.  It's just that race baiters want to keep the racism industry alive and well because it is so lucrative for them. 

I'm trying to be relatively polite to you, but you are making it difficult.  First of all, I'm starting to think your reading comprehension skills are lacking, which may explain your employment difficulties.  I find it insulting that you think I've gotten jobs because I am a minority.  First of all, if you read what I stated earlier, I have never even needed to list my race on an employment application, and being that my father has a little bit of English blood, I have a "white guy last name that doesn't really fit what I look like" according to some people.  I also just sold my business for a **** ton of money, did somebody buy it because I'm a minority?  As a business owner myself, well... in between businesses at the moment, I don't hire people because of race, nor do I participate in affirmative action.  Don't attribute race as a factor to your failure and other's success, it makes you look petty.

Also, if you read what I have explained about racism, I have stated multiple times that it isn't just white people that are racist, and that minorities are just as racist if not even more.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 22:33:17 »
Waiting for sth to show up to this party.
this party sucks

i mean arguably, in practice, a huge majority of white people don't want racism to go away... they just don't want to admit how much they benefit from it.

also you guys come ON, why are you even falling for this weak ass trolling? dont argue with racists. yelling is ok.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2013, 22:39:48 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Lanx

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 22:53:03 »

So... more on topic, the host of big brother... for 15 seasons speaks out, who also happens to be chinese. I guess she also has this talk show with 4 other women and it's like "The view", but they don't sound so catty?

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 23:04:56 »
This thread is going nowhere fast.  Speaking of the view,

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:03:47 »
The media thrives on creating racism. Just go back and look at the coverage on the first days of the Treyvon Martin shooting (you know, back when little-to-no facts were known). MSNBC even edited the call to police to make it sound like Zimmerman was racist, lol. No surprise here. There are far more race baiters than actually racist people.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:16:47 by Jagriff »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:08:58 »
The media thrives on creating racism. Just go back and look at the coverage on the first days of the Treyvon Martin shooting (you know, back when little-to-no facts were known). MSNBC even edited the call to police to make it sound like Zimmerman was racist, lol. No surprise here. The are far more race baiters than actually racist people.

Don't confound overt racism with covert racism.  Covert racism and otherless visible forms of racism are still massive issues and run rampant within the fabric of our society.  Many of these are in the form of institutionalized racism.  On the other hand, overt acts of racism are increasingly uncommon and when they do take place, usually take place within someone's ingroup where those feelings are shared.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:10:31 »
  Covert racism and otherless visible forms of racism are still massive issues and run rampant within the fabric of our society.  Many of these are in the form of institutionalized racism. 

inb4 a bunch of white people claim there's no such thing
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:14:13 »
  Covert racism and otherless visible forms of racism are still massive issues and run rampant within the fabric of our society.  Many of these are in the form of institutionalized racism. 

Well, they'll have to contend with the white male who recognizes that it is still very much an issue.  The sad truth is that racism has just become more subtle.  It still is present in society, we just have better ways of hiding it and making it socially acceptable.  It can be things like stop and frisk policies in New York (which are also unconstitutional) to the way that school systems are funded to many other things that are couched in economic terms, but really have underlying racial issues in mind.

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:20:55 »
Oh the irony.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:26:17 »
Oh the irony.

Not really ironic since it's usually white people who claim we live in a post-racism society.  9 times out of 10 when I hear someone saying racism no longer is an issue, they're white.  A lot of that comes from ignorance and never experiencing, or rarely experiencing, racism first hand or not understanding how certain actions are racist. 

Offline Lanx

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:35:15 »
It can be things like stop and frisk policies in New York (which are also unconstitutional) to the way that school systems are funded to many other things that are couched in economic terms, but really have underlying racial issues in mind.

Oh i was stopped and frisked in 1994!, i was in HS, dressed like a metalhead/asian punk dressed in baggy pants (i think they were jango or something). All of a sudden 4 white guys popped out of a parked car, 2 block my way and 2 right behind me! (plain clothed)

They had their badges hanging off their necks, and asked me where i was going, i said "the library i'm returning books!" they asked if i had any weapons on me, i said no, why would i? at this point i felt hands run along my belt (behind me) i turned around and said "hey!" then the guy in front double checked. Then they basically said, well you look clean, we just had to make sure.

all the times i walked to my boy scout meetings dressed in my boy scout uniform i never encountered this! (i did face sneers, jeers and what not walking down the street in a boy scout uniform tho)