Author Topic: TechKeys @ West Fest Chicago  (Read 6724 times)

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
TechKeys @ West Fest Chicago
« on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 16:58:11 »
This is a reminder to those I have already told...

TechKeys is taking to the streets of Chicago this weekend to see if they can make clackers out of the citizens of West Town.

I would love for you Chicago GHers to stop by, even if its just to say hi!  I will have a typing contest going with prizes for the fastest typists.

Details:

Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 - 10:00 @  Chicago Ave. between Damen & Wood

Offline mtl

Re: TechKeys @ West Fest Chicago
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:31:57 »
sounds awesome  :D
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:50:45 »
I miss Chitown :(
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:03:44 »
Photos of your booth or table, please! Hope you make truckloads of filthy, evil money, Boiler.

Also, don't get shot or anything. :thumbsup:
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 18:04:56 »
Damn I wish I lived closer. Take lots of pics and Chicagoland GHers, come out and represent GH!

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 21:55:57 »
Photos of your booth or table, please! Hope you make truckloads of filthy, evil money, Boiler.

Photos for sure.

In terms of filthy evil money, I am fully expecting to loose money on this...The booth + tent + rental table + electricity + a million odds and ends to prep cost well over a thousand dollars.  If I recruit even just a handful of newbies that enjoy this stuff as much as I do, I will call it a win.  But I wont complain if a landslide of cash hits me :)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 01:39:47 »
Display the turtle set and the CCnG and jaws will drop ;)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 06:20:26 »

Photos for sure.

In terms of filthy evil money, I am fully expecting to loose money on this...The booth + tent + rental table + electricity + a million odds and ends to prep cost well over a thousand dollars.  If I recruit even just a handful of newbies that enjoy this stuff as much as I do, I will call it a win.  But I wont complain if a landslide of cash hits me :)

Make sure to bring a mushy, boring membrane keyboard as a comparison! And talk to the crowd -- get all Sham-Wowie on them about mechanical keyboards.

Oh, and a headset. It will make you look important.

I think you'll probably do pretty well for a tradeshow.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 06:22:43 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline jalaj

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 21:01:38 »
Didnt see a techkeys.us stand today. Plenty of dogs, attractive people, other sale goodies, music, and street fare food though.

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 08:09:56 »
I left the fair around 9:00 PM perhaps you missed me

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 08:28:32 »

How'd it go?
More

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 08:31:02 »
Somewhere between a mild failure and a learning experience.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:09:55 »
Somewhere between a mild failure and a learning experience.

:(
More

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:15:57 »
There was a lot of genuine interest.   People stopped and were wowed by the CCnG, Tooth Key, and Sixshooters....kids were quick to point out the Mario and Luigi....but not a lot of people were willing to drop the money it takes to get started.

Most common stupid questions...

-Do these keyboards work?
-Are those real teeth?
-Will these keys work on my Macbook?
-Can you make me a xyz key?

In the 20 some hours I spent at the booth I would say I encountered maybe 10 people that were familiar with or owned mechanical keyboards and they seemed pretty pumped to learn there is stuff out there for them.  I think in the future I would look to market more specifically at gamers/developers/nerds as opposed to the general population.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:19:42 »
There was a lot of genuine interest.   People stopped and were wowed by the CCnG, Tooth Key, and Sixshooters....kids were quick to point out the Mario and Luigi....but not a lot of people were willing to drop the money it takes to get started.

Most common stupid questions...

-Do these keyboards work?
-Are those real teeth?
-Will these keys work on my Macbook?
-Can you make me a xyz key?

In the 20 some hours I spent at the booth I would say I encountered maybe 10 people that were familiar with or owned mechanical keyboards and they seemed pretty pumped to learn there is stuff out there for them.  I think in the future I would look to market more specifically at gamers/developers/nerds as opposed to the general population.

hold up

were you showing or selling the teeth, you need to sell me one of those pronto sir, the anticipation is killing me
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:31:38 »
selling the teeth, you need to sell me one of those pronto sir, the anticipation is killing me

Well I did not successfully sell any so they are all waiting for you to buy.

I am hoping to get them up this week.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:46:34 »
selling the teeth, you need to sell me one of those pronto sir, the anticipation is killing me

Well I did not successfully sell any so they are all waiting for you to buy.

I am hoping to get them up this week.

gah, well i dont know how many of them you possess, so if there is any kind of reservation system or dibs, consider me in, time zones often cause me to miss things as they first go up

and im sure to the general public they may not have been an easy sell, but im sure on here sir you arent gonna have any trouble

the thing with what you are doing with the markets and such is, although it may not seem beneficial in the short term, raising public consciousness will pay off over time, the amount of people who thought i was barmy when i started talking to them about keyboards who are now obsessed with them after tying them is roughly 100%
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:49:44 »
no pics of the booth? :D
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:52:02 »

I do have pics, but I got home so late an exhausted, I didn't get them off the camera yet.

Pics to come!!!

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:53:54 »
Selling specialty keycaps is like selling rims that only work on sports cars.  I would have been very surprised if you had gotten a bigger reaction from the general public, so don't be disappointed:  That's just the nature of the thing.

Maybe try at something like this, instead:  www.midwestgamingclassic.com (I've thought that pairing a GH meetup with this con would be ideal, too...)
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:02:49 »
Selling specialty keycaps is like selling rims that only work on sports cars.  I would have been very surprised if you had gotten a bigger reaction from the general public, so don't be disappointed:  That's just the nature of the thing.

Maybe try at something like this, instead:  www.midwestgamingclassic.com (I've thought that pairing a GH meetup with this con would be ideal, too...)

Yea - my hypothesis was correct that people would be amused/interested/intrigued - I just thought I could flip more of them into sales.

If I do another event, it would totally be something like that.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:06:36 »

I do have pics, but I got home so late an exhausted, I didn't get them off the camera yet.

Pics to come!!!

slacking yo!!!! j/k lol
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:10:22 »

I would agree -- finding the right venue is key. You need to find people who either already have compatible keyboards, or could directly benefit from a mechanical keyboard.
More

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:11:27 »

Offline jalaj

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 18:52:14 »

was there on sun. from 345 to 545. circled around the entire fair twice, even checked the kiddie and doggie sections to be sure. please upload a pic so I can see where you were

here's a pic from the event:
28229-0

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 19:56:13 »
If you would have turned 180 degrees from that photo you would have seen me.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 19:56:44 »
hahahahaha ^
I love Elzy

Offline Trent

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 19:58:45 »
So I felt silly, but randomly a friend of mine invited me to the fair.  We're walking around, enjoying the sights, when all of a sudden I see artwork that looks familiar...

"That looks like techkeys art...."

Then all of a sudden I realize that i3oilermaker is there!  :eek: -- "Been a long time since the original Chicago meetup!" -- I was happy to pick up a blue usb cable to charge my phone!  ;D

I really do need to pay more attention to boards that aren't off-topic haha.  It was great to see i3oilermaker there representing keyboards since I won't be able to attend keycon!

Here are my pictures from the fair!

Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 20:06:38 »
Just beat me to the pics...

Here are my shots of the booth, and me with the creator of the TechKeys logo and TechArt.

28232-028234-128236-2

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 20:16:54 »
Very nice! Thanks for the photos. :)
More

Offline jalaj

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 20:19:45 »
What, didnt see that AT ALL. Now im annoyed that there was lack of signage for vendor booth locations.
So is the keycon a dry meetup? Or will there be refreshments FS/BYOB.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 20:21:11 »
So I felt silly, but randomly a friend of mine invited me to the fair.  We're walking around, enjoying the sights, when all of a sudden I see artwork that looks familiar...

"That looks like techkeys art...."

Then all of a sudden I realize that i3oilermaker is there!  :o -- "Been a long time since the original Chicago meetup!" -- I was happy to pick up a blue usb cable to charge my phone!  ;D

I really do need to pay more attention to boards that aren't off-topic haha.  It was great to see i3oilermaker there representing keyboards since I won't be able to attend keycon!

Here are my pictures from the fair!

One of my cables  ;) Shipped over especially for it