Author Topic: Anker Wired Vertical Mouse Review  (Read 36512 times)

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
Anker Wired Vertical Mouse Review
« on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 02:20:02 »
Overview
The Anker vertical mouse comes in at a very affordable price of under $15 for the wired model and under $20 for the wireless model on
Amazon.com. Today I will be reviewing the wired model. It features DPI switching from 1000 to 1600 DPI, an optical sensor, next/previous buttons, a blue LED strip, and is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Why use a vertical mouse?
Vertical mice offer a comfortable mousing experience that is considering superior to normal mice. The irregular shape allows you to hold the mouse in a more natural position, like a handshake. Not only does this offer more comfort to the user, it can help reduce wrist pains from long term computer use.

Packaging
The mouse comes packaged in a plastic container. The packaging is very easy to open and keeps the mice and accessories secure. Included in the package is some basic documentation and the mouse itself.

What I didn't like
Although this mouse did a lot of things right, I feel like there is a few thinks that could be improved. I found that due to the location of the USB cord, it can get in the way of people with very large hands. My ring finger tends to rest on the cord and while this is not a huge concern, it could cause issues for some people. In addition, the mouse clickers have a rubberized matte finish like the rest of the mouse. Coming from the g500, this felt odd to me but it is up to personal preference. 

What I liked
I have been using the mice for a few days now and have found many things I like about it. The entire mouse is covered in a nice rubber finish which prevents your hands from slipping. The DPI button is easy to comfortably change with your thumb. The LED strip casts a very nice blue light which is bright enough to see during the day, but not bright enough to be a distraction at night. The form factor of the mouse is comfortable for people with large hands like me, and people with smaller hands too. The mouse wheel is nice to use and feels durable.  Overall this is a very solid mouse, especially considering the price point.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Anker Wired Vertical Mouse Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 07:22:49 »
Thanks for writing this up, I thought about getting one of these but me and wires don't get along!! ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:13:44 »
I too have this mouse (and the wireless version my mom stole from me) and my biggest gripe is the switches.  It uses cheap, too stiff switches and benefits greatly from replacing them with some relatively cheap and nicer Omron switches

I have larger hands and haven't run into the cable issue you have.  I'm not sure about the shape of the mouse though.  The ergonomics seem better suited for a standing desk or for someone who has a taller sitting desk.  It's not bad, but I find myself thinking that the mouse is a little too vertical and would benefit from the grip being turned ~10 degreess more horizontal.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:17:25 »
Very intriguing, thanks for posting 
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:02:10 »
Thanks for writing this up, I thought about getting one of these but me and wires don't get along!! ;)

There is a wireless version for a few dollars more on Amazon. The only difference is that there is no blue LED strip.

I too have this mouse (and the wireless version my mom stole from me) and my biggest gripe is the switches.  It uses cheap, too stiff switches and benefits greatly from replacing them with some relatively cheap and nicer Omron switches

I have larger hands and haven't run into the cable issue you have.  I'm not sure about the shape of the mouse though.  The ergonomics seem better suited for a standing desk or for someone who has a taller sitting desk.  It's not bad, but I find myself thinking that the mouse is a little too vertical and would benefit from the grip being turned ~10 degreess more horizontal.

Yes, I actually ordered those Omron switches per your suggestion in another thread. They are still on the way from China but I plan to make a guide on how to install them when they arrive. I didn't think many other people would have the issue with the cable but I can take a picture. Also I found the mouse to be comfortable with my setup however it's down to personal preference.

Very intriguing, thanks for posting 

No problem! I love spreading the vertical mouse love  :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:05:30 »
They should arrive pretty quickly.  Mine got to me in under a week.

To open the mouse, you have to pop the glides off and undo the screws on the bottom.  After that, you'll need to pop the pieces of plastic off of the top that you press to actuate the buttons.  Under that, there are several screws you have to undo.  Then just pop some latches inside and it opens easily.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:25:10 »
Had mine for two weeks but my scroll wheel broke already. When I try to scroll up or down it goes down and then back up, or up and then back down, like it's fighting itself. Other than that, it's pretty nice for $10. Wouldn't have paid more though, with issues like I've had.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 16:27:08 »
They should arrive pretty quickly.  Mine got to me in under a week.

To open the mouse, you have to pop the glides off and undo the screws on the bottom.  After that, you'll need to pop the pieces of plastic off of the top that you press to actuate the buttons.  Under that, there are several screws you have to undo.  Then just pop some latches inside and it opens easily.

Thanks for the mini tutorial! And the tracking number says they should be here soon. *Fingers crossed*

Had mine for two weeks but my scroll wheel broke already. When I try to scroll up or down it goes down and then back up, or up and then back down, like it's fighting itself. Other than that, it's pretty nice for $10. Wouldn't have paid more though, with issues like I've had.

Amazon has a very efficient return system. Go to My Account->My Orders then find the item and click "Return or Replace Items". Fill out a few things then UPS will come to your house the next day to pick up the item. Amazon should have your refund/replacement shipped in a few days.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 July 2013, 16:28:53 by TheFlyingRaccoon »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 16:32:01 »
great review, nice pictures and too the point! :)  Love this mouse.  Would agree about switching the buttons, but stock isn't too bad if you don't have the know-how.

Nubbinator... offer a service to mod these!
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 17:17:54 »
great review, nice pictures and too the point! :)  Love this mouse.  Would agree about switching the buttons, but stock isn't too bad if you don't have the know-how.

Nubbinator... offer a service to mod these!

Definitely.  If anyone wants one of these modded to Omrons and you're too scared to do it yourself, I'll gladly do it cheaply.  It would be cheapest if have sent it straight to me when you buy it so that you don't have to pay for shipping twice.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 22:58:49 »
Figured I'd just post this here. I modded the mouse with these things:
  • Added Omron switches
  • Sleeved cable
  • Relocated cable

Hope this helps anyone considering modding their Anker vertical mouse!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 23:07:15 »
Now swap the LED.  I made mine pink/purple.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:25:55 »
Hey this great review has been up for a while now.  I wonder who has bit the $10 bullet and purchased this fine mouse.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:31:10 »
Hey this great review has been up for a while now.  I wonder who has bit the $10 bullet and purchased this fine mouse.

I bought one and swapped out the LED and crappy switches in mine to some nicer Omrons. It's much better once you do that.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:40:48 »
Anker is a good company. I've got their batteries :P Nice looking mouse
SmallFry! <3

Offline listokei

• ListoKei Blog
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 23:19:48 »
wow Blue LED looks cool!!!  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 23:44:18 »

But rainbow, color changing LEDs are even cooler!

Offline vorn

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 06:14:37 »

But rainbow, color changing LEDs are even cooler!

Ohmygosh... damn cool!  :p

I've been wanting to get a vertical mouse but the Evoluent offerings are a little expensive when you convert currencies to the weaker South African Rand. Definitely going to try get my hands (hand) on one of these Anker vertical mice!

Thanks for the review and comments!

Offline lanlav123

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:35:36 »
I hope they are going to make a better version of the mouse, i really liked the review thx

Offline vorn

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 16:01:29 »
I hope they are going to make a better version of the mouse, i really liked the review thx

Wow, I didn't realise how new this product was! If Amazon is anything to go by...
"Date first available at Amazon.com: April 9, 2013"

Offline edwardtivrusky

• Rats and Games and Gadgets and things
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 06:04:46 »
I have one of these turning up by the weekend. I've started to get the odd twinge of discomfort in my right-hand from using a generic mouse. I have a Wacom Tablet at home but it's too awkward to keep bringing into work. Looks like i'm going to have to learn how to use a soldering iron soon too, i like the LED and switch mods people have done.

I'll post my impressions early next week once i've had a chance to try it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Offline wesleyh

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 03:46:31 »
stupid question, exactly how do you open up this mouse? got the same issue as someone here before; the scrollwheel fights itself; goes down 1 line when going up etc, resulting in jerky behavior.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 03:50:40 »
stupid question, exactly how do you open up this mouse? got the same issue as someone here before; the scrollwheel fights itself; goes down 1 line when going up etc, resulting in jerky behavior.

Remove the glides (pads on the bottom) and unscrew the three screws under three of the glides.  That opens up the bottom and gives you access to the sensor.  After that, there's a little tab you have to pop on the inside to remove the piece of plastic from the top that you push to actuate the buttons.  Then unscrew the screws on the top and pop the remaining tabs inside and the mouse is fully opened up.

Offline edwardtivrusky

• Rats and Games and Gadgets and things
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 05:25:38 »
Thanks to this thread i've had one of these mice for a week or two now and i find it much improved over the HP OEM i have been using for the last few months. I agree that the switches are a bit stiff and could be lighter but my main issue is that i still find myself clenching my thumb as i grip the mouse. I feel it could do with being a little broader.

I have some Sugru so i'll dabble with some customization of width using that and also have a look at putting a strip of Sugru across the bottom of the mouse under the buttons so i can rest my little finger along a ledge of rubber rather than the desk.

I'll probably go back to my small Wacom pad soon but for £12 this was a great purchase to have as a backup.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Offline vorn

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 05:29:16 »
I'll be receiving mine in about two weeks, and I have some replacement switches on the way as well :) Really looking forward to trying this mouse out!

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 07:46:09 »
Could some one post pictures on a more in depth way to take the mouse apart? I could only get the bottom off and spent 15 minutes trying to pry the rest off but I couldn't get it, all I've done is changeds the LED, but I wanna buy a rainbow one later, should I get 3mm or 5mm? Currently I have a 3mm red LED in there, I also have all the omrons to replace the buttons with. Thanks! :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 07:50:30 »
1) Could some one post pictures on a more in depth way to take the mouse apart?

2) I wanna buy a rainbow one later, should I get 3mm or 5mm?

1) Check out this pictures here

2) I used 2x3x4mm in mine but there's enough room for a 5mm. Either should be fine.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:29:43 »
1) Could some one post pictures on a more in depth way to take the mouse apart?

2) I wanna buy a rainbow one later, should I get 3mm or 5mm?

1) Check out this pictures here

2) I used 2x3x4mm in mine but there's enough room for a 5mm. Either should be fine.
yeah I was reading that yesterday but I couldn't get the side with the clear plastic for the led to snap off.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:30:46 »
yeah I was reading that yesterday but I couldn't get the side with the clear plastic for the led to snap off.

It's a snap fit. Pull a bit harder.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:58:06 »
I pulled it a good bit but it started to bend the plastic a little, the only tab that came off was the one on the side of the anker logo.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:08:37 »
Oh okay you take off the mouse button thing first then you can unscrew it, that makes sense. I modded every switch in there to omrons, even the DPI switch, that took a little while, I may to to change the cable and change the led to a color changing rainbow one.

Offline Fahall

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 17:23:53 »
How difficult is it to swap the switches out? I'm very new to working with electronics. Are the switches just plug-n-play, or will I need to solder them?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 18:01:47 »
How difficult is it to swap the switches out? I'm very new to working with electronics. Are the switches just plug-n-play, or will I need to solder them?

You need to desolder the old ones and solder in the new ones. I would rate the project a 3/10. A very good way to learn how to solder. Took me more time to take mine apart than to actually swap the switches.

Offline Fahall

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 09:32:48 »
Well, I have been looking for an excuse to learn soldering... :thumb:

Had my Dad help me solder my keyboard to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys, so I at least have an intuition of what's going on.

For the switches, will it be quite clear as to which solder needs to be removed and where it needs to be added when putting in the new switches?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 09:36:44 »
For the switches, will it be quite clear as to which solder needs to be removed and where it needs to be added when putting in the new switches?

Yes, can you can use my pictures as reference.

Offline ianbullock

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 22:28:27 »
Just did this mod, definitely helps. Thanks for the image guide!

Offline Axollott

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 13:52:04 »
Hey guys! Are you all still using this mouse? If you don't, why did you changed it?

I have it and i already ordered the replacement Japanese omrons, but i am wondering if it's worth the mod or i should buy another mouse.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:03:19 »
Yup, I'm still using the mouse :). But I'm about to changeover to the CST L-Trac. It's definitely worth it to me to mod it. I love the shape of the mouse.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 22:40:11 »
Yup, I'm still using the mouse :). But I'm about to changeover to the CST L-Trac. It's definitely worth it to me to mod it. I love the shape of the mouse.

Thnx man. I guess i'll keep it and mod it. I'm ordering a Mionix Naos 7000 for gaming but i plan to keep on using the Anker. I've seen that Trackball before, looks nice, but it's very expensive!

Offline Axollott

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 20:28:50 »
Btw, how do u hold it? I have found it's more comfortable if you put your thumb on the upper angled part, above the back/forward buttons, instead than below. I'm lean enough to see my hand flexors, the way i hold it puts less stress on the flexors. Maybe after the mods it will be the same or irrelevant.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 13:56:22 »
Switches finally arrived, I got the Japanese ones that are better built than the Chinese. I just need to find someone with a soldering iron :P Hope i can do that today.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 05:36:20 »
Mod is done. It took me way too much time to desolder all the components, specially the tiny led, it seems either my iron or the desoldering braided wick wasn´t optimal for the task, but it´s done. The new switches make a world of a difference. Way smoother. Heil GeekHack!  :cool:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 07:04:27 »
Desoldering braid isn't usually ideal for desoldering. I've never had a good experience with it at least. Congrats on finishing the mod!

Offline Axollott

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 16:44:21 »
Next thing to buy, a suction desoldering syringe.

Update: I reopened the mouse to reposition de led and make it more luminiscent by adding a reflective coating because i have the wireless version and the led is to dim compared to the wired. Well... IFU and i no longer have a led :P
At least the mouse is still working.

I hate that flux core solder, it leaves a lot of residue everywhere.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 21:58:41 by Axollott »