geekhack Community > Keyboards

Best non-mechanical keyboard?

<< < (6/7) > >>

cactux:
What about something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Bluetooth-Mobile-Keyboard-6000-English-International-Czech-Characters-/370782149050?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item56545699ba

SOROBORU88:
Looks good :) Is it a good value concerning the quality and durability? And is bluetooth reliable? I thought it's only a laptop thing. But my father talks about buying AiO PC, so...

davkol:
Cherry G81. Seriously. Cherry MY are supposed to be nice for hunt'n'peckers, and it's possible to get Czech keycaps (someone sold those at Deskthority a while ago).

Otherwise, I'd like to get rid of some KeyTronic and *old* Dell QuietKey keyboards, all of them have Czech lettering.

Larken:
actually it sounds like your dad doesn't have a problem with the feel of the keyboards, but rather with the letters fading off after extended usage. This is going to keep happening with most keyboards (esp. since your dad appears to be going through them at one keyboard every three months). What you need is double shot, or dye subbed keycaps, which can be gotten - albeit not cheaply. The main problem would be the czech layout - which according to

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=13693.0

is either extremely rare, or never produced at all.

laser etched or pad printed are eventually going to wear out, no matter what. What you might think about doing is to get a mechanical keyboard, and use relegendables - and print out your own labels for those czech layout specific keys. It's a very costly solution, but it would probably last you a lot longer than buying new keyboards again and again.

Just wondering about one thing: obviously your father has to either be using the keyboard almost 24 hours a day (or be sweating acid through his fingers) to wear through a keyboard that fast; does he really need those legends? I would imagine he could touch type if he'd been going through that many keyboards so far. If he didn't need the czech specific legends, I imagine a doubleshot keycap set would serve him quite nicely for a few years.

SOROBORU88:
Yeah, my father can't touch type since he has very small hands due to illnes. And the smearing is parttly the problem of the cheapest boards he buys and partly by that he is RC modeller and has a PC next to his hobby room. Simetimes he types (looks for something on the internet quickly) with fingers covered with glues and chemicals :D And also he types like a cat, he bumps the keys with tips of his fingers and scratches the keys with fingernails.

When I type on my mechanical keyboard, I always wash my hands first :D

He is currently using laptop and the letters looks good so far. I had that notebook for three years and I used it nonstop for 18 hours a day (law faculty). But before he used Logitech K360 with which he was very satisfied, but sometimes he had problems with range so I thought I will buy him wired keyboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version