Author Topic: quality of custom WASDkeyboards keycaps?  (Read 21881 times)

Offline Jixr

quality of custom WASDkeyboards keycaps?
« on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:04:19 »
Hi everyone, i'm on the verge of ordering a WASDkeyboards custom keycap set.

I've created a special layout specifically to use within autocad.

the full keycap set is gonna run me about $60, and I've ordered blanks from them before, but I don't know how the lazer etching quality is, If i'm going to be paying near the price of a keyboard just in keycaps I want to be sure the lettering won't wear off. ( also thought about engraving but I don't think I would like the feeling on my fingertips.

I currently use a razor nostromo at work and it works amazing, but one you go mechanical you can't go back lol ( and i'm not paying $130 for the mechanical version when I can get a fully custom board for not much more)

And for those who don't know, Autocad is a drafting utility with tons of commands, and the general idea is that the top command on the key is for a single press, the bottom is for a double press. I tried to color separate all the keys, kinda unicorn and flashy, but I think it would look good. You can create custom 'command alias's' in autocad to make any keyboard input actuate any command, though I will do some slight custom autohotkey as well ( mainly replacing the * on the number pad with to a ' key

Trying to decided if I want to put them on a QF rapid or XT with reds
30465-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:06:08 by Jixr »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: quality of custom WASDkeyboards keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:21:53 »
I honestly think that WASD caps are extremely low quality. I was not impressed by them after I tried them out and I don't recommend them to anyone. They're even thinner than the stock Filco Caps I had. SP thin ABS was a definite step up from them imo.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:25:13 »
Here's the thing: you're wanting one thing and not paying for it. Do you know how much a single set of higher quality caps, such as PBT dyesub, would cost you? A LOT of money, and that's if you could find someone who would do one set, which probably won't happen (usually at least a MOQ of 10-25).

WASD offers something that you can't do somewhere else: a completely custom set. And for a nice price. $60 is not bad at all. And for that, you get all the customization that you want, such as the set you have presented to us today. But it comes at a cost: the quality is not the greatest.

You make the choice.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:26:50 »
I will admit the keycaps are not the best ( i noticed several 'tabs' on mine from the molds that needed sanding off )

though as far as I'm aware, they are the only place to get custom colored and printed keycaps.
( though according to their site blog, they will soon discontinue custom printing )
So I wanted to jump on the keys while I still can.

and I've never used anything other than the cheaper keycaps anyway, so its kinda the situation where you can't miss what you've never had concerning compaing their products to higher quality caps.

and i'm also the kind of person who wants his office set up as close as it can be to my home set up. I have the same mouse, monitor, chair, etc as I do at work as I do at home. I just prefer things that way. Guess its a bit OCD but I would feel irked knowing I had a nicer computer thing at work than I do at home or vice versa. (aside from the tower itself because thats out of my hands )
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:32:22 by Jixr »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:28:11 »
I can't speak for the WASD quality but that's an interesting layout you have there.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:37:22 »
well for the most part the white keys are the stock shortcuts and the green's are custom

it may sound weird but for example the default key to draw a line is "L" but I reasigned it to "SS" mainly because I can set up the keys I use the most in a WASD gamer style layout with the main idea to basically to always have a hand on the mouse and my fingers on the keys I need. ( which is why I love my nostromo but its been failing for awhile and I don't want to pay the asking price for their new mechanical version that in some ways is better but worse than the old version )

its not a final layout, I may change the colors to make them a bit less flashy, but I like the idea of having something obviously custom vs something thats not, espc if i'm gonna drop $160 or so for a keyboard to use at work. I don't need the keys to be honest, I know all the commands and shortcuts without needing to look at the board, I just thought it would be really cool to have ( as far as i'm aware ) the first specific autocad keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:45:37 by Jixr »

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:38:20 »
autocad?
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Jixr

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:51:08 »
and I have thought of just ordering blanks with a few customized keys, but for the price, just going full custom set is the best bang for the buck.

and Autocad is software used to design everything from ( in my case ) houses to mechanical parts, and really just about anything. you can do basic 2d drawings to full photorealistic 3-d renders.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:54:28 »
and I have thought of just ordering blanks with a few customized keys, but for the price, just going full custom set is the best bang for the buck.

and Autocad is software used to design everything from ( in my case ) houses to mechanical parts, and really just about anything. you can do basic 2d drawings to full photorealistic 3-d renders.

oh shi.. i was asking about the layout and didn't realize that there was text in the first post.  deerrr long morning.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 17:14:21 »
Why not order their Sampler Kit and find out for yourself?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 18:44:45 »
Moose pretty much nailed it.  The caps are pretty low quality caps (I refuse to use them), but they offer a service no one else does.  Their lasering isn't bad quality and the level of customization is awesome, just the caps are pretty sub-par feeling.  I think they're worse than OEM caps.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 20:30:10 »
they can't be any worse than the stock QFR ( which I plan on putting these on ) I agree that they feel pretty cheap, but if you want a one-off custom keyboard for a reasonable price, its kinda all we got.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 20:36:27 »
they can't be any worse than the stock QFR ( which I plan on putting these on ) I agree that they feel pretty cheap, but if you want a one-off custom keyboard for a reasonable price, its kinda all we got.

I honestly feel they're worse than stock QFR caps.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 08:37:55 »
People have reported about the lasering wearing off, but it was a while since I last heard that. They don't look so bad when they are new.
For me, the thing that makes them look a bit cheap is that the plastic is not entirely opaque.

The engraving in engraved keys are not just depressed, there is a noticeable raised ridge along the sides of the depression. That bummed me a little, but not enough to not buy more.

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 08:50:39 »
I personally feel that keys from WASD don't feel bad for abs keys.  I used the set that came on my WASD V1 for almost a year for gaming and typing without any issues.  They didn't shine up bad compared to other abs sets I have tried and they kept their finger-feel well.  This is comparing to a steel series 6gv2 (keys shined up quick and feel gross now).  WASD is a great company with great customer service so if you ever have questions or issues you can be confident they will be resolved quickly for you.
-wd

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 08:54:13 »

I honestly feel they're worse than stock QFR caps.

I would agree with this.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 10:04:11 »
If you want them, buy them!

The only way you will know whether it is effective for your needs is to try them for a week or 2.

I suspect that you could re-sell them on ebay advertised as "custom Autocad key cap set" for at least as much as you paid for them.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 10:05:56 »
Quality? Let's break that down.  They are thin ABS, OEM profile, and in lighter colors chosen to make the lasered legends visible. so they are the opposite of Imsto.  But for what they are, the quality is fine.  Not as ugly as QFR keycaps, anyhow.

Uniquely, they are also available in any color mix or legend set.  Some colors take the laser really well.  White on Black is particularly good. Most other colors have gray legends.  For me, this makes them very suitable for the OPs purpose.

Re longevity, I have a full set of white and black custom WASD keycaps on my long-term Rosewill test keybard.  They have held up just fine for about a year.  (So has the Rosewill USB port.)

So  while I wouldn't use them for daily drivers if thick PBT was an option, they are, IMHO, perfect for the OP's use case.

I have two sets for that very reason and will probably do another.

- Ron I samwisekoi

p.s.  In fact, WASD sells pre-designed sets for some popular programs like Photoshop.

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 10:12:41 »
I think the biggest question to ask here is, will having the custom designed caps make it worthwhile. In the end its a matter of usability giving you better/more production, especially if it's for work.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 11:55:36 »
Well, honestly, I don't need the custom keycaps, but I hate the stock QF keycaps, ( the pad lettering is horrible ) so I would end up buying a replacement keycap set anyway, and for $20 more you can have a full custom set vs a standard set, so why not make it a custom?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 10:51:06 »
I feel like there's two questions being asked here, and you're only getting answers to one of them.

The key caps are lower quality. In fact, probably the lowest quality we would conceive using in this community, but is that a big issue for you?

The other question, is regarding the quality of printing, the laser etching, specifically. I was impressed with the set that I bought my wife, completely customized, that laser can get down to a .5 pt, so you can make it nice and small, it feels good on the finger. The etching is noticeable but not distracting, and I've had no issues with wear. I'd heard the issues regarding wear were with white etching, on black keys, and I'd heard Weyman had resolved that issue. Something regarding the white dye used actually discoloring after getting some finger oils on it, and not actually wearing down the etch.

But I don't have a source to cite, and my memory on that one might be spotty. It's like 1 am over here.

I think it's worth what you're getting, a service you can't get anywhere else, and I personally don't mind the thin keycaps. The etching has only been solid in my experience, and he stands behind his work. I had a couple keys that the etching was messed up because of mistakes I made in the .CDR, and he replaced them.

I wouldn't be afraid to go with WASD if you've got a project that they can do for you.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Jixr

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:57:21 »
I feel like there's two questions being asked here, and you're only getting answers to one of them.

The key caps are lower quality. In fact, probably the lowest quality we would conceive using in this community, but is that a big issue for you?

The other question, is regarding the quality of printing, the laser etching, specifically. I was impressed with the set that I bought my wife, completely customized, that laser can get down to a .5 pt, so you can make it nice and small, it feels good on the finger. The etching is noticeable but not distracting, and I've had no issues with wear. I'd heard the issues regarding wear were with white etching, on black keys, and I'd heard Weyman had resolved that issue. Something regarding the white dye used actually discoloring after getting some finger oils on it, and not actually wearing down the etch.

Thanks for that info, I was just worried that the quality would be bad and they would quickly wear off. as far as the keys themself, I have them on my QFR and they are thin, but I don't think they are 'bad' per say, but not thick old school style keys like  some of yall like.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 15:42:19 »
i agree with moose. wasd caps are crap but they offer a customization service that is unparalleled.

i got a white alpha set when i bought my QFR. i hate hate hate the font on the QFR but i think i hated the plastic in the wasd caps more. i would never buy wasd caps again, but then again i have spent a few hundred on caps lately so i wouldnt need to.

|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 18:27:17 »

Really, just get the Sampler Kit.  Granted the keycaps are blank - not sure if you could contact WASD and ask them to provide printed keycaps instead of the blank ones.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 04:43:26 »

Really, just get the Sampler Kit.  Granted the keycaps are blank - not sure if you could contact WASD and ask them to provide printed keycaps instead of the blank ones.

Have you checked the checkboxes? You can get laser etched/engraved keycaps for a small fee.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:17:37 »

Have you checked the checkboxes? You can get laser etched/engraved keycaps for a small fee.

Ah, ok, maybe that was not an option when I got mine many months ago.

Answers all OP's questions then.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:22:40 »
It was definitely possible when I got mine in winter or last year.

BTW if you check both checkboxes, what will you get?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 05:34:10 »
Heh maybe half and half.

When I got mine there were only 4 switches, but 3 types of O-rings.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 10:17:23 »
I just ordered the board these are going on ( qf-xt in blues ) and i'm still tweaking the layout a bit. since the layout will be so specific I want to get it right.

Offline telegraphist

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 18:10:28 »
For what it worth: I think my wasdkeyboards.com custom US/Cyrillic are better than CM QuickFire rapid caps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 18:34:46 »
For what it worth: I think my wasdkeyboards.com custom US/Cyrillic are better than CM QuickFire rapid caps.

As Southpark so eloquently put it, that's like.saying a **** sandwich is better than a giant douche.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 22:41:48 »
And quite a necro bump too :p

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 09:13:50 »
Indeed necro.  I was surprised to see I had replied recently.  Then I saw the year...

Anyhow, even though this is a necro thread, it is worth an update.  mkawa and I visited WASD Keyboards after KeyCon West, and there is some new news.

First, they are no longer doing laser etching.  They now are doing UV printing with a protective coating over the printing.  It is much nicer, with better color definition and should last longer.  With the exception of white-on-black, ALL of the legends are better than before.  In addition, in theory they can print on any color or material, so they could print on (for example) thick PBT keycaps.

This is all from brand-new machines, although they kept the laser engraver to make custom homing keys.

I have had custom keys made using their new process for both the early prototype of the GH36 and for my JD build.  I like them.

The plastic is what it is.  We spent some considerable time talking with Weyman Kwong, the owner, about moving to thicker material for keycaps.  And, like QWERKeys, the issue is the high cost of molds.  Both the cost of new molds AND the cost of retiring the existing ones.  He did agree that he could move to more vibrant colors with his existing molds.

Thoes existing keycaps are indeed thin ABS, and holding them in your hands they feel quite insubstantial.  However, on a keyboard they feel pretty much like any other OEM keycaps.  (In my opinion.)

I use IBM and Imsto PBT keycaps personally, plus some sets of SP double-shot ABS.  I certainly prefer PBT, but when I need a custom legend set in small quantities, the service WASD offers is unavailable elsewhere.  Especially for a single custom set.

So, new equipment and printing process, more flexibility in potential keycap types, but for now the same old keycap blanks.  I cannot say that Weyman was excited about the possibility, be he did acknowledge that he and his equipment could do custom printing on other suppliers' blank keycaps.  There would certainly be some setup costs, and the MOQ would be larger than a single set, but it is possible.

As an experiment, I am going to see if he can print on some blank Nuclear Data Green keycaps, once those are made and delivered.

FWIW, the custom printing thing is a sideline for them.  Don't forget CODE and V2 keyboards, stabilizers and other keyboard parts they keep in stock, and (again, in my experience) excellent customer service.

So, even though this was a necro thread, now you have the 2014 update on WASD Keayboards and their printing.  This is courtesy of a site visit by me and mkawa and the time Weyman Kwong spent showing us his expanded facility and new equipment.  Thank you, Weyman!

FYI,

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 August 2014, 12:53:18 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline osi

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 09:22:56 »
Nice update!

Offline telegraphist

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 00:48:35 »
... and (again, in my experience) excellent customer service...

- Ron | samwisekoi
This would be my experience with them also. They reply to my emails right away, shipped me a new USB cable for free, with free shipping, etc.
Nice company as far as I can tell.