Author Topic: The Rarest Crystals at $1985 now! Inflation is bad!  (Read 4332 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
The Rarest Crystals at $1985 now! Inflation is bad!
« on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:27:35 »
OK, for those who have been on this forum at least a few months, I think you know what I'm talking about.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm not naming names, and I'm not adding the link here so his ebay listing doesn't get attention.

A certain gentleman whose nickname sounds like a Violin has relisted his Violoncello Crystals for $1985 shipped.

Seems that DoubleBass Crystals have gotten rarer than ever.

Just for laughs.  :)) :)) :)) I pity anyone who is stringed into buying.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: The Rarest Crystals at $1985 now! Inflation is bad!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:32:04 »
I noticed this as well. Good thing it's also "or best offer". Maybe someone can make a deal.

I would also like to note that my wheelwriter 10 series 2 has one of these crystals as well.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:47:40 »
I noticed this as well. Good thing it's also "or best offer". Maybe someone can make a deal.

I would also like to note that my wheelwriter 10 series 2 has one of these crystals as well.

Crystals = future time travel fuel

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:50:17 »
Everyone knows that the more expensive something is, the better it is.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:52:31 »
Mmmm future crystals.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 09:01:17 »
Since shipping is free, actually I don't mind offering Mr. Guitar $40 just so that he has no more 'rare Banjo crystals' to sell and can't scam anymore people.

When he discovers that shipping to my country from Chile costs more than $40, he's probably going to scream UKULELE!

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 09:04:10 »
Since shipping is free, actually I don't mind offering Mr. Guitar $40 just so that he has no more 'rare Banjo crystals' to sell and can't scam anymore people.

When he discovers that shipping to my country from Chile costs more than $40, he's probably going to scream UKULELE!

Tell him to ship to SEA colony, Mars :p

Offline bitslasher

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 09:49:17 »
I think there is a hidden message in his price maybe.  Perhaps he's really a crazy old scientist that's built a real flux capacitor out of those crystals and now he's selling his last one to get money for plutonium so he can supply the needed 1.21 gigawatts of electricity to power it.  He better hope the Libyans don't discover this auction.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 10:33:55 »
Isn't Mars the Big Red Planet?

That's not the same as a little red dot you know...

Tell him to ship to SEA colony, Mars :p

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 10:40:47 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 August 2013, 10:47:19 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline mich

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 15:15:39 »
The Crystals were used in R&D and testing departments, as it withstands a wide range of temperatures and vibrations, preventing loss of info during shocks
Wow, this dude is a born salesman :D

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 05:34:10 »
The Crystals were used in R&D and testing departments, as it withstands a wide range of temperatures and vibrations, preventing loss of info during shocks
Wow, this dude is a born salesman :D

Since when does a crystal oscillator, which oscillates at a certain frequency, have anything to do with info loss? Especially on a device such as a keyboard since the firmware is the only info in them? Even if you know nothing of keyboards, anyone who knows what a crystal oscillator is knows that this is a load of bull****...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 05:43:27 »
And when was quartz organic......... issnt quartz just SiO2  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 05:50:29 »
Even if he meant natural instead of organic, since when were crystal oscillators made from natural quartz after ~1970?...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 08:22:13 »
Even if he meant natural instead of organic, since when were crystal oscillators made from natural quartz after ~1970?...

They weren't. Not to mention, IIRC they're just wider temp range and the same +-100ppm or +-50ppm. (I don't recall which it is off the top of my head.) I think natural quartz is still used in some high precision stuff, but it's been a while since I've looked at that stuff.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline germy

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 08:31:29 »
I don't get it. :(

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 09:21:24 »
Ok, whoever buys this Folgers Crystals Model M should make a movie about their time traveling adventures with their 'very rare' Model M TARDIS.

(Pictures himself running away from a marauding band of Morlocks, as he clutches his Model M to his chest.)
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 09:55:46 »
Ok, whoever buys this Folgers Crystals Model M should make a movie about their time traveling adventures with their 'very rare' Model M TARDIS.

(Pictures himself running away from a marauding band of Morlocks, as he clutches his Model M to his chest.)

This sounds like a challenge for Mashby!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 11:08:14 »

This sounds like a challenge for Mashby!

Is that how Mashby arrived at KeyCon 2013? In a flash of light, bedecked in a Napoleonic-era hat, a prehistoric spear in-hand, and the time travel enabled Model M strapped to his back like a broadsword?

Sounds like Mashby.

In seriousness, these keyboards did not sell at, what, $500 each, so they upped it to $2000 instead?! Sorry, $1985 -- $15 mail-in rebate, LOL!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline dem0critus

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 12:15:44 »
Are you kidding that's A STEAL! I'm surprised anyone would ever even question such a price on an OBVIOUSLY PRICELESS piece of computing history. hahaha

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 12:57:30 »
yeah, priceless, as in having no price anyone sane wants to pay!

Are you kidding that's A STEAL! I'm surprised anyone would ever even question such a price on an OBVIOUSLY PRICELESS piece of computing history. hahaha

Offline dem0critus

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 13:06:37 »
yeah, priceless, as in having no price anyone sane wants to pay!

Maybe an insane person will make an investment in this time travel device.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 22:23:44 »
:)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 22:28:04 by Wildcard »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 22:45:14 »
:confused:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 22:51:24 »
My thread necrobumped after a year? Is it time travel you're talking about?

Wonder if this thread will still be around in 25 years. Considering how the Fed's been pumping money, I think inflation may render $1985 less than enough to pay for toilet paper.

I wonder if most Americans know that a Dollar now buys less than a penny did in Abe Lincoln's time.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 23:37:19 »

More of a :facepalm:

I was reading the other "crystal" post on my phone and responded to the wrong thread ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 23:38:58 by Wildcard »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 00:21:06 »

More of a :facepalm:

I was reading the other "crystal" post on my phone and responded to the wrong thread ;)

;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:49:29 »
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:09:48 »
(Attachment Link)

Doesn't say how far he wants to go back.

Wonder if it was during the dinosaur period, or just the middle of last week?

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 08:16:11 »
(Attachment Link)

One of the best films that I watched last year I reckon!

Where can I get me some time travel crystals?
I got boards.