Author Topic: My first find! Old army stuff. Help me identify!  (Read 5447 times)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
My first find! Old army stuff. Help me identify!
« on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:49:30 »
I've been in the army 8 years, and we've thrown away so many keyboards. SO many keyboards. I wish I had been a part of this community 8 years ago, and I would have saved every cherry corp keyboard I found, which is probably hundreds. I'm in IT in the army, so they come to us when the computers get upgraded and they can't us PS2 plugs anymore.

Well, I've been trying to find the old stash (there always is one, in every unit in the army) and today, I found it. Most were old ass dells with USB plugs, and felt like crap rubber domes, so I passed 'em over. But there were two that caught my eye and they're mine now. I don't know what they are, one appears to be mechanical, and has the MX cross for mounting keys, but I've never seen a switch like it, so any help identifying what I've got is welcome. I have to run back to work, I haven't even gotten a chance to take any keycaps off the other one, but here's some quick pictures.

Let me know if you need pictures of anything else, anything in specific.

I'm super excited.

BTC 5100c

AID-3

they both look brand freaking new (one still have bubble wrap round the PS2 plug), and as you can see, I'm missing the ~ key and F1 key on the first one.

Let me know if you've got any ideas! I'll be back in a couple hours.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:58:17 by CalmB4tehPwn »
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
Re: My first find! Old army stuff. Help me identify!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:47:12 »
Okay, I had a moment to look up some info on the keyboards. The first one is a BTC 5100C, which seems a pretty late keyboard for this time. Sounds like it was still in production in '08. Not particularly common, not particularly rare, and included some interesting, but not well executed features. I'm still trying to find out more information on this type of switch. The most I've found is a product description that says "same tactile feedback as the full sized model" and it feels about what I had assumed a clear would feel like. Longer pull, bigger bump.

The second is an Advanced Input Devices AID-3.

I can find almost no information on this keyboard. Nothing. I'm afraid to try and pull up any of the keycaps, since I don't know what the switch mechanism is, or if all switches are made so the keycaps pry right off.

Any information WHAT SO EVER on the AID-3, or if you think it's safe to try and pull a keycap up, let me know.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:48:51 »
Looks like a plunger over rubber dome with a Din6 connector.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:54:19 »
for the AID-3?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:55:20 »
Just googled it, and it's definitely a Din 3 connector. But how do you know it's plunger over rubber dome with the keycaps still on? Or was that comment for the first keyboard?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:55:40 »
For whatever you linked pictures to in the OP. Looks like you've got a BTC in the OP and then you're also asking about a AID-3 in the second post?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:57:00 »
Let me edit to OP to clarify. First 4 pictures is BTC, last two pictures are AID-3

two keyboards.

Offline Topre

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 20:59:37 »
I remember the BTC-5100c. It's a plunger over sponge/foam over foil, capacitive keyboard.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 21:06:28 »
And I just manage to peek inside the AID-3, it's plunger over rubber dome.

I'll admit my disappointment, but I'm still excited to have found anything. I don't know that much about vintage keyboards, but the AID-3 feels very well built, and a great keyboard over all. I just have no idea what to do with this connector.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 21:21:01 »
The most I can find on the AID-3 is a guy from an archived forum post saying

"The most interesting one I have is from Advanced Input Devices (model AID-3) that has not one or two, but 4 DIP switches hidden behind a sliding door on the back of the keyboard. I've verified that 2 deal with XT-AT mode, but the remainder have me puzzled."

and then a GH post about somebody picking up an AID-4 which had integrated joystick, and other odd input devices. Apparently that whole I/O panel had an OTS Cherry 84 just sitting in the housing as the keyboard portion, though.

The keys on this one are pretty stiff. I've never feel rubber domes this stiff before, and am still curious about learning more about it, but I'm at a loss of where to get that info.

Offline affect656

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 21:54:37 »
Korea seems to be a pretty good place for older computer stuff too. Since we never get a tech refresh I was looking through some old closets and found a few older cherry boards here in Yongsan
I like linear.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 22:31:45 »
Unfortunately it looks like we had one pretty recently. Nothing fun to be had. I need some boards to work on my desoldering!

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:49:30 »

I'll admit my disappointment, but I'm still excited to have found anything. I don't know that much about vintage keyboards, but the AID-3 feels very well built, and a great keyboard over all. I just have no idea what to do with this connector.

The rubber dome version is one of the best typing rubber domes. Rubber dome over PCB. 

^ I wasn't paying attentioned when I replied. I totally quoted the wrong text. I meant the BTC ;o
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 August 2013, 21:58:52 by laffindude »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 10:05:49 »
BTC 5100 had at least 3 revisions. Probably a later one here with sliders over a rubberdomes sheet and membrane. If it's older you might be lucky and get a fairly decent for a domes board version that had individual domes over a real pcb. Oldest revision used foam and foil and often had doubleshot keycap but probably is the worst feeling.
I don't know anything about the AID3. It sure has a rather odd numpad configuration though :/

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 16:25:29 »

The rubber dome version is one of the best typing rubber domes. Rubber dome over PCB.

I'm actually quite liking the AID-3. I'd like to replace 0, ., 1 and 2 with arrow keys, and the rest with macro functions, if I ever did use it.

Is there a way to convert from DIN6 to USB?

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:01:43 »
BTC 5100 had at least 3 revisions. Probably a later one here with sliders over a rubberdomes sheet and membrane. If it's older you might be lucky and get a fairly decent for a domes board version that had individual domes over a real pcb. Oldest revision used foam and foil and often had doubleshot keycap but probably is the worst feeling.

BTC 5100-C is the keyboard that was rebadged as the SIIG MiniTouch Plus and PS/2 Plus. The keyboard as pictured will be membrane. BTC foam and foil switches have the same sliders and shell mouldings, but they also have an external return spring.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Mine

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 22:38:17 »
this keyboad made in tai wan,不是 china.这个键盘是台湾生产的 ,sorry,my english is so bad...

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 07:19:06 »

I'm actually quite liking the AID-3. I'd like to replace 0, ., 1 and 2 with arrow keys, and the rest with macro functions, if I ever did use it.

Is there a way to convert from DIN6 to USB?

If it's talking AT over that plug, you simply need an AT to PS2 adapter cable and a PS2 to USB active convertor.