Author Topic: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards  (Read 101356 times)

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 10:02:06 »
Does anyone know if the Code will fit in an aluminum case designed for a Filco? (Tkl)

Looks like it'll work http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33155.msg1297869#msg1297869

i stand corrected, time to PM that guy =)

That Guy here!

Aside from the obvious disclaimers, there are two downsides to throwing the CODE into the Filco aluminum case. The detachable cable ends up inside the aluminum housing and can no longer be detached, and the dipswitches on the keyboard are no longer accessible. A small price to pay for the end result, though!

thanks for the pic and the information on how to open it up!

for anyone who cares, i took some potato pics with my ipod touch.
http://imgur.com/a/ODUjN

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #401 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 12:01:14 »
IPT is the man. I can't wait to grab an alum case for this beast. This is by far my favorite board I've ever owned. (having owned 4-5 Filcos, HHKB, pure, poker 1 and 2, and all switch types) this is my *****! I love it.

And here's a pic just because I'm a slut. (Those are the Vortex double shots from mechanicalkeyboards.com obviously)

I hate everything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #402 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 02:38:54 »
Alternatively just join in the community, contribute valuable posts to various discussions (as you learn more about your keyboards), and you will reach 60 posts in no time :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dook0

« Reply #403 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 03:38:31 »
Hehe i am quite new to mechanical keyboard and I don't really want to flood the forum with useless post :). To make this post useful I can say that I prefer pbt caps over abs. And the code has a ABS caps, not good for me. Ordered it before knowing the difference between those two "feelings".

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #404 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 09:24:57 »
Hehe i am quite new to mechanical keyboard and I don't really want to flood the forum with useless post :). To make this post useful I can say that I prefer pbt caps over abs. And the code has a ABS caps, not good for me. Ordered it before knowing the difference between those two "feelings".

Yeah your choices are reduced if you want backlighting with PBT caps. They are out there but not as much as ABS.

Offline dook0

« Reply #405 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 10:56:24 »

Yeah your choices are reduced if you want backlighting with PBT caps. They are out there but not as much as ABS.

Yeah, I think i'd rather have PBT over ABS + light. Found out too late :(

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #406 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 11:12:15 »

Dook, Don't fret. I'm using the same board as you and I switched out all the keys for thick PBT's and the backlighting just borders the keys now which make it look good imo. Just get a new set of keys. That's what I always do when I see a nice board with the only downfall being it has ABS.

Offline dook0

« Reply #407 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 11:54:46 »

Dook, Don't fret. I'm using the same board as you and I switched out all the keys for thick PBT's and the backlighting just borders the keys now which make it look good imo. Just get a new set of keys. That's what I always do when I see a nice board with the only downfall being it has ABS.

Sounds like a good plan :) I am already planning to find a keyset for my filco as well.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards
« Reply #408 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 17:07:50 »
Code 104 just came in. Definitely going to need to lube the stabilizers and probably install some O-rings. Also, holy god I hate ABS keycaps (haven't touched 'em in years). Time to go shopping for some PBT

And just let the record state: so....much....ping....
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 May 2014, 19:15:29 by daerid »

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #409 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 17:25:06 »
Yeah, I've learned to hate ABS keys after using PBT for so long. The Ducky PBT I put on my WASD v2 have been great. Just got some SP PBT in the mail that I need to try out as well. Which switches did you get? Clear? Where are you getting the ping from? After using the Model M for so long (ping king!) I guess I don't notice it.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #410 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 19:16:37 »
Yeah I got the clears. Pretty much all the keys in the main cluster produce ping. It definitely sounds like a resonating plate and spring issue.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #411 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 19:36:39 »
Oh, I hear it now when I bottom out relatively hard. With the greens I typically don't bottom out hard, if at all.

...t's still not as "pingy" as a Model M though!
SSKs for everyone!

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #412 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:55:01 »
Just received my Code Green TKL from the massdrop sale.  I have to say, the greens on this board are much quitter than I was thinking they'd be.  I just got my Code Clear at work, and I like both the greens and the clears.  This is my first TKL board, and it'll take some getting used to no num pad.... I keep hitting the right arrow as an enter key.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #413 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:02:51 »
Just received my Code Green TKL from the massdrop sale.  I have to say, the greens on this board are much quitter than I was thinking they'd be.

I was surprised at how "quiet" the greens were too. Considerably quieter than blues on my Leopold.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #414 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:03:27 »
Just received my Code Green TKL from the massdrop sale.  I have to say, the greens on this board are much quitter than I was thinking they'd be.  I just got my Code Clear at work, and I like both the greens and the clears.  This is my first TKL board, and it'll take some getting used to no num pad.... I keep hitting the right arrow as an enter key.

Lol. I used to do that. The enter key was so convenient right there next to your thumb. TKL is much better in the long run though. you made the right choice.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #415 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:43:21 »
Oh, I hear it now when I bottom out relatively hard. With the greens I typically don't bottom out hard, if at all.

...t's still not as "pingy" as a Model M though!

Yeah this is pretty intense. I have a video uploading to Youtube right to show you what I mean. Hopefully there's some way to dampen it, it's quite annoying.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #416 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:49:09 »
Here it is:

The fact that it's most prominent on the E key is the worst. Only thing worse would be the S key :(

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #417 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 02:45:55 »
That's pretty loud. Mine is not quite that loud unless I pound the keys. It looks like you're not even depressing all of the way!? Maybe it's the difference in boards? Mine is 1 a layer PCB, MX Green, and has Ducky PBT (medium-light thickness). Plus, I noticed the ping is more pronounced when the tilting legs are extended as opposed to being flat on the desk. 

Whatever the reason is I hope WASD can offer some help or advice because that is very noticeable and annoying for sure. It reminds me of the coiled door stops:
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 02:53:54 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #418 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:07:21 »
Yea Daerid. Mine aren't that pingy. They ping, but the F, G, and H keys are the worst of them. And smknjoe, you're right when you put the feet down. It's much less pronounced.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #419 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 10:14:00 »
Maybe I'll try it with the feet down. And yeah, it's louder when I just lightly tap the key top.

Offline dante

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 11:39:47 »
All my (ex) MX Clear keyboards had ping - the worst offender being the Deck Legend Frost which made it sound like some sort of Church instrument.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 14:58:18 »
WASD has already confirmed in this thread that it is as I suspected - resonation from the springs being used.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #422 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:07:28 »
WASD has already confirmed in this thread that it is as I suspected - resonation from the springs being used.

Could you please explain further? How does a spring resonate if I'm pressing it down and holding it? Is it from the surrounding springs? Are they just loose?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:10:01 »

If I were them, I would consider using different materials for constructing my keyboards, then. I have several keyboards that have stock clears in them, and none sounds as terrible as that pingtastic CODE. There must be some combination of plate material, keyboard resonance, and springs that makes the CODE loud as hell. Then again, they sell out every production run, so what do I know?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #424 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:12:38 »

If I were them, I would consider using different materials for constructing my keyboards, then. I have several keyboards that have stock clears in them, and none sounds as terrible as that pingtastic CODE. There must be some combination of plate material, keyboard resonance, and springs that makes the CODE loud as hell. Then again, they sell out every production run, so what do I know?

I think because all those 'coders' buying them don't know any better :thumb:

But I agree, I've got quite a few boards with stock clears and none have ping like the WASD.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #425 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:12:47 »

They sell out because it's easy as hell to acquire one from them. Buying a TKL with stock clears, you gotta go through korean sites and ship it internationally it seems. But that's just what I think.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #426 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:23:04 »
It must be the springs used on the clears. I have to pound my keys and stick my ear right up to the board to hear any ping on mine and even then it's not as bad as what daerid posted.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:25:10 »
It must be the springs used on the clears. I have to pound my keys and stick my ear right up to the board to hear any ping on mine and even then it's not as bad as what daerid posted.

Yes, Greens have an inferior spring, as well as the inferior stem. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #428 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:29:14 »

I guess I should have an inferiority complex...:(
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #429 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 16:19:46 »

Did you mean to say clears? I thought stock clear springs are revered. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 16:21:08 »

Did you mean to say clears? I thought stock clear springs are revered. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was just teasing smknjoe, but I personally believe stock clears to be superior to greens.

in memoriam

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 16:41:52 »

I was just teasing smknjoe, but I personally believe stock clears to be superior to greens.

Oh ha. Me too.  :thumb:

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #432 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 18:14:34 »
It seems like they just need to dampen the metal back plate just a little bit.  Maybe have a more secure mounting to the case.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 16:57:46 »
So just now, I noticed that the area above the arrow key cluster on my CODE heats up. It's not incredibly hot, but just warm enough where you can feel the heat coming off of it. Is this supposed to happen?

I think it may have something to do with having the LED's on. I have it on the highest brightness. Turned it off to test that, and yes it cooled down, so I turned it back on to test again. Still cooling down (or is it?). I will do more tests tomorrow, but that sucks if it's gonna heat up every time I want to have lights on.

Anyone have this problem too?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #434 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 18:22:38 »
It seems like they just need to dampen the metal back plate just a little bit.  Maybe have a more secure mounting to the case.

TBH, I'm probably going to pry mine open and see what I can do to fix it up. It's aggravating as hell.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #435 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 18:31:20 »
I put a set of cherry profile thick PBT's on mine and the pinging is a lot less. Not an option for everyone but a good one if it is.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 18:38:46 by Psybin »

Offline fatmav

« Reply #436 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 20:27:47 »
So just now, I noticed that the area above the arrow key cluster on my CODE heats up. It's not incredibly hot, but just warm enough where you can feel the heat coming off of it. Is this supposed to happen?

It's a bit warm on mine too and I believe this is where the electronics goes in modern Filco and similar keyboards. You can see it in photos. For example, see
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33155.msg939916#msg939916

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #437 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:25:03 »

It's a bit warm on mine too and I believe this is where the electronics goes in modern Filco and similar keyboards. You can see it in photos. For example, see
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33155.msg939916#msg939916

Ah right! I see. Because there's virtually no where else to fit a controller and such.... I got it. Thanks for that fatmav.

Offline D01

« Reply #438 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 17:00:30 »
Got a full sized Code with clears in the mail today.  Have only used it at work for a couple hours.  It's growing on me.

At first I was put off by the heavy feel to the clears, I'm used to browns.  After a while though I start to see the light.  Real nice tactile bump and plenty of spring to keep you from bottoming out.  In general I make less errors with this but I'm slightly slower.

Mine doesn't ping much, maybe a little more than any of my other V2 keyboards, but if I'm not listing for it I never notice it.

3. When I was installing my Vortex key cap set, I noticed that they didn't lube the stabilizers on all the keys that had them (except for the spacebar). So I relubed them, and they're all fine and dandy now, but they were before I did this too. Just so you know, it might be a problem later if you don't lube them. Squeaky keys and such... Anyways, I found it really hard to put the keys back on because the stabilizers wouldn't rotate all the way out. Don't know why because my other WASD did. This made it rather difficult to gauge if they were on or not. Also, after installing the spacebar, I noticed that it now clicked like a Cherry MX Blue. LOL. WAT? I took it off and relubed it, but the click still persisted. I assume it's just the new spacebar's minutely larger size/thickness/weight that is doing something weird under there. Doesn't bother me because it still functions just fine.

I noticed the same thing with the Code.  Lube on only the space bar vs the V2 where there was lube on everything.  I assume the stabilizers don't rotate like the V2 because the switches are wrong way round for the led's.

I also encountered the same thing that you did with the clicking except it happened with the 0 key on the number pad.  It was the stabilizer because without it the noise went away.  I messed around for a while trying to fix it.  What worked was taking a little bit of the bend out of the stabilizer where it crosses next to the switch.  Not sure why that worked for me but it did.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 July 2014, 15:47:15 by D01 »

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #439 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 04:28:31 »
I have noticed that I type faster on my HHKB Pro 2, but I think that's a combination of the Topre switches and the 60% form factor
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline ajx

« Reply #440 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 10:27:31 »
any code customers from outside of us?
i would love to buy code keyboard but i am afraid of custom tax lol
did you pay custom tax when you get your code keyboard?

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #441 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 14:46:52 »

When I bought two TKL CODE keyboards, one for me and one for my brother, I paid around 60€ of import duty & taxes (VAT / duty fees / shipping company fees) here in France.

You shoud try to use this to calculate how much it will cost you : http://www.dutycalculator.com/

All included, each keyboard cost me around 160€ (~220$).
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 14:57:13 by Lpwl »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #442 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 16:55:52 »
seems pretty noice
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline ajx

« Reply #443 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 17:19:18 »
seems pretty noice

When I bought two TKL CODE keyboards, one for me and one for my brother, I paid around 60€ of import duty & taxes (VAT / duty fees / shipping company fees) here in France.

You shoud try to use this to calculate how much it will cost you : http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Je suis français  ;D
Tu as payé, 60 euros pour les deux claviers?

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #444 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 05:29:04 »
seems pretty noice

Je suis français  ;D
Tu as payé, 60 euros pour les deux claviers?

Oui 60€ pour les deux (reçu dans le même colis).

Peut-être que tu passeras au travers mais je te recommande de prévoir le cas de figure où l'on te demande de payer la TVA + frais de dossier pour le transporteur. Si tu as besoin de plus d'info, n'hésite pas à PM.

--

Those keyboards was sent to me via USPS Priority Mail International.

Offline RimpactPC

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 22:16:42 »
I really want a mx clear board but in 60%. This seems to be a good TKL for the mean time.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #446 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 01:26:51 »
You could pick up a PokerII with clears on mass drop that is going to drop again very soon if you want 60%

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #447 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:03:11 »
there is a massdrop for the Code Keyboard with MX clears going on now.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #448 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:34:52 »
there is a massdrop for the Code Keyboard with MX clears going on now.

This is nice !

6 months ago, I was adding this keyboard in every poll I could on Massdrop without "triggering" any drop.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #449 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:15:53 »

Are you noticing any ping on the TKL CODE? I just ordered one myself, and while the ping is a concern, it seems to largely be limited to the full-size boards. Even then, after watching the video demonstrating the issue, I don't think it's going to be enough to bother me.