Author Topic: CM Storm Stealth (MX Green)  (Read 15116 times)

Offline Linkbane

CM Storm Stealth (MX Green)
« on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 18:17:33 »
The Quickfire Stealth is another offshoot of the rather well-known tenkeyless Quickfire series, which includes the Rapid (no numpad), TK (arrow keys/navigation keys integrated into numpad with double-0 key), and now the Stealth. This particular keyboard is notable for its inclusion of four different switches: Blue, Red, Brown, and Green. CM, as far as I know, does not utilize MX Black keys in any keyboards. The layout is similar to the Rapid, but quite stylized.

Table of Contents

Dimensions
Taken from the CM website, the keyboard is 14 x 5.3 x 1.4 inches, even shorter by about an inch over the TK and weighing a much heftier 940 grams, thanks to a sturdy steel plate. It has four rubber stands and two feet, which are not rubber coated, to my disappointment, and the keyboard will slide easily on my smooth desk given forward or backward force, but not typing.

It comes with a PS/2 adapter and removable micro-USB to USB cable, with gold-plated connectors and a thin braided wire, thinner than the TK, and a straight, right, and left channel. An issue with mine is that it tends to fall out of the channel often, but it's easily rectifiable with tape. Also included are red arrow keys to replace WASD or <AOE, and two Cooler Master caps for the Windows/etc. key.

Typing
Having a distinct, much harder feel than the MX Blues, the Greens offer a loud, tactile sensation which I found very conducive to typing. Within less than an hour, I could type my usual speed with Dvorak (120+ wpm), but the most noticeable change was the huge reduction in errors. I have ADHD, and my fingers often hit keys from a later word before I can react; the 80g required force nearly completely eliminates that, and I managed to break my typing record (and increase accuracy from 6-10 wrong to 3-5) by 137 in less than two weeks.

However, given that the force is massively higher than the blues, my fingers, even though I use them in sport very often, grew tired the first couple of days before acclimating. I would say that the best thing about this keyboard is that it makes not bottoming out easy, the reason why a mechanical is superior to membrane in typing speed. Also, when tapping a key lightly, it requires firmer force.  Randomly, the bottom row keys make a slightly deeper sound.

Personally, I feel that anyone who has tried and enjoys Blues will like the Greens. I had mixed emotions at first, but I realized that it did help my typing quite a bit. However, if you find the keys requiring an excessive amount of force, they aren't the switches for you, given that they are even heavier than black. This is definitely not a good starting switch, as it is drastically different in stiffness to all other Cherry keys. The sound, however, is pleasant: it is similar to a blue, but with less sharp of a sound and a deeper, louder click.

Layout
Just like the Quickfire Rapid, the board is a basic tenkeyless, with the numpad completely removed. Aside from that, Cooler Master has done their job by not doing anything; the keyboard is six key-lengths, the keys are all in the right places, there's nothing wrong with the layout. In terms of spacing, however, the steep change from bottom (including three arrow keys) to second row (up arrow key) takes acclimating given my measured 5mm difference in height. The function and escape keys are also more recessed than I have previously seen.

Keys

The most distinctive feature of this keyboard, of course, are the keycaps. Instead of having characters on top of the keys, or none at all, they have them inscribed on the portion facing the typist. This ensures, besides the stealthy look and angle so that they are completely visible, that they will never wear off. The keycaps themselves aren't particularly special, but just a comfortable, rather smooth, matte ABS. A distinctive feature are the three lit keys; Caps Lock, Windows Lock, and Scroll Lock; each have a transparent front slit with a bright red light underneath.

As far as the function and special keys, the escape and F1-F12 keys have, in order, a 1x/2x/4x/8x repeat rate for PS/2, four multimedia keys, Windows Lock, mute, and volume -/+. The FN key is between the Windows/etc. and Ctrl.

Conclusion
In summary, I enjoyed typing on the Quickfire Stealth greatly, not only because of its switches which allowed me to not bottom out consistently, but also to eliminate finger-bounce error. Of course, the keyboard comes in other switches, but in particular the Green was a nice change from Blue. The positives include an eye-catching, yet minimalist aesthetic with good-looking but readable text (as I stare at Razer), robust design, and great price ($105 for Green, $85 for others).

Negatives include the lack of rubber on the feet as on the TK and the unreliable channels. The huge difference in height between the bottom three and upper arrow keys of half a centimeter is jarring as well.
Overall, it's a solid keyboard, but there's not much differentiating it from other MX Green or TKL keyboards besides a good price and its key printing. However, from almost any possible angle, the letters are very easily visible, so once you adjust your sight to looking between and not on top of keys you can view the keys by looking less further up or not at all. Good typing!
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:13:54 by Linkbane »
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline AndyCapets

• I have a French ANSI keyboard, kiss me now.
    • YouTube!
Re: CM Storm Stealth (MX Green)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:30:31 »
I'm interested in building myself a Phantom/GH60 and I'd like to know, how are the Greens in comparison to Blues ? Are they really worth it ? Since I am going to put only key type on it, I can't decide between Blue and Green, even if I never had the chance to try out the Greens...
Using a MX Blue QFTK at the moment.
I don't I like broccoli.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:38:24 »
Initially, I was very favorably impressed by the Cherry mx green switches on my CM QFS, but later on, I decided that they are too heavy for long typing sessions. However, I prefer them to blues, which seem too light. I have not tried clears, but from what I have read, they might be a happy medium.

All this might be beside the point, though, since trying out Topres yesterday on a Leopold FC660C, I have just about decided to abandon Cherry switches altogether. So, as of today, my favorite switches for general typing are IBM buckling springs, Matias tactile switches version 4, and Topre 45-gram weight switches.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:11:48 »
Thanks for the great write-up.  I too recently took greens for a test drive, but they were just too heavy for me as well.  I really did want to like them, they had such a clean, crisp feel.  I hear you on the FC660C though, I actually just ordered one and plan on using it as my daily driver. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 12:20:46 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 23:35:32 »
I'm interested in building myself a Phantom/GH60 and I'd like to know, how are the Greens in comparison to Blues ? Are they really worth it ? Since I am going to put only key type on it, I can't decide between Blue and Green, even if I never had the chance to try out the Greens...

Hah, the Blue QFTK was my second board, and I feel that although it may feel light, it's better for typing than the MX Green; the Greens taught me how to not bottom out and be more accurate, which translated to increased speed and decreased error on the Blues; the Greens for me are like a learning switch. However, if you already have a blue TK, I'd suggest having a Green so you aren't using the same switch on a different board.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline AndyCapets

• YouTube!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:43:04 »
Initially, I was very favorably impressed by the Cherry mx green switches on my CM QFS, but later on, I decided that they are too heavy for long typing sessions. However, I prefer them to blues, which seem too light. I have not tried clears, but from what I have read, they might be a happy medium.

All this might be beside the point, though, since trying out Topres yesterday on a Leopold FC660C, I have just about decided to abandon Cherry switches altogether. So, as of today, my favorite switches for general typing are IBM buckling springs, Matias tactile switches version 4, and Topre 45-gram weight switches.
Yeah I heard that they are not the best to type but I'd still want to try it out one day.

Oh yeah that is almost understandable haha.
I don't I like broccoli.

Offline AndyCapets

• YouTube!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:45:04 »

Hah, the Blue QFTK was my second board, and I feel that although it may feel light, it's better for typing than the MX Green; the Greens taught me how to not bottom out and be more accurate, which translated to increased speed and decreased error on the Blues; the Greens for me are like a learning switch. However, if you already have a blue TK, I'd suggest having a Green so you aren't using the same switch on a different board.
Yeah that's what I was aiming for, since Blue is really nice, but I'd still like to have a different kind of switches since I don't really see a purpose on having two expensive boards with the same switch type.
I don't I like broccoli.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 22:14:27 »
Yeah that's what I was aiming for, since Blue is really nice, but I'd still like to have a different kind of switches since I don't really see a purpose on having two expensive boards with the same switch type.

Perfect, and if that is your intention then it will work perfectly for you. I'm pretty sure that you'll feel it calming typing on the heavier Greens, as well. Blue is nice for speed and that really fast-looking aesthetic, but the Greens are just a mellow switch that are inexplicably pleasurable to type on.

Offline Martyn.T.Howells

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 06:07:37 »
Really interesting review! enjoyed reading it. have been looking in to greens. but they are hard to get in the uk.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:14:07 by Martyn.T.Howells »
Steelseries 6gv2 MX Black   Filco Majestouch2 TKL MX Blue   Poker II MX Red   HHKB PRO 2

Offline dvjz.gh

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:03:06 »
I've got a qfs a week ago with mx blues. It's a real pleasure to use it and looks very solid . I don't like the cable and the position of the usb connection.
Great review !

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 17:02:39 »
I've got a qfs a week ago with mx blues. It's a real pleasure to use it and looks very solid . I don't like the cable and the position of the usb connection.
Great review !

Thanks to the OP for the good review.

I quite agree about the USB connection and the stiff cable. It is very difficult to plug/unplug the cable. The cable routing also leaves something to be desired, and I would prefer a more flexible cable.

I'm also not fond of the font on the front of the stealth caps.

The switches on mine are mx greens. At first I liked it, and I still prefer greens to blues, but greens are just a bit too heavy for prolonged typing. I'd like to try clears.

It would also be great if CM would venture beyond Cherry mx switches into new territory, such as Matias switches, or, even better, 55-gram Topre switches.

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 23:31:51 »
Just so you know, they do sell Rapids with Blacks. I bought one a few days ago ><

Link EDIT: Apparently it links to the blues, but if you click the leftmost of the choices, you get blacks.

Also, I'm really jealous of your greens :I
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 00:18:01 »
@acer589
Ah, didn't notice that they sold blacks. I'm actually loving typing on Reds every while, because it's just so silky, so adding force would be like using cotton instead of felt. Stronger, but just not in the spirit. Heh, no need to be jealous, they're just another switch. If you really like them, you're on WalletHack anyways.  ;D

@rjrich
You're quite welcome, I like reviewing and writing (it gives me an excuse to type more!), as I like giving people a heads up and exposing a product to a larger audience. About the font, I actually sort of like it; as I don't look at it much, I mind less that it's a pretty aesthetic font, but the muted feel suits me, but the style could be a turn-off. Sadly though, given the price and lack of audience who would want obscure switches when the majority of their pro gamers and whatnot just want a Cherry MX will probably nip that idea. I think that Clears are a possibility, though, and it would be nice to try them.

Offline ZRock

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 11:23:21 »
I was hoping these would end up being slightly quiter than mxblues, which they may for me if I would quit bottoming them out.  Thank you for the review though~!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 17:16:14 »
I was hoping these would end up being slightly quiter than mxblues, which they may for me if I would quit bottoming them out.  Thank you for the review though~!

Have you tried O-rings?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 21:11:17 »
What kind of O-Rings do you recommend. Also, what are the cheapest a person can find. I wanna try some out, but don't want to pay out the nose for them.
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:33:31 »
Got my QFS green for a week. Here's my mini review. (Apologize in advance I hijacked your thread, but I don't want to create new post)

This is more like a review for the mx green switches than the QFS, as I've already owned two QFR browns and I am quite satisfied with them given the price/quality ratio.

Anyways, I've read reviews here saying the green switches are A LOT heavier than what you'd expected but I find otherwise. It's not as heavy as my model M for instance.

The actuation force is lighter than model M, but the bottom out resistance is greater. I find it feels quite a lot like MX blues if you don’t bottom out.
However, it is extremely noisy and loud. I used it in the office the first day I got it (shipped to work) and I don't think my coworkers would tolerate it if I kept it as my daily driver.

As for general QF TKL impressions

+ space saving thin bezel (a lot better than topre & SSK)
- rubber coating is hard to clean. Also if you have oily hands/fingers or use lotions it leaves very disgusting marks on the coating
+ useful Fn layer (especially vol up/down)
- no Fn combo to use the right click context key, not very important but would be nice
+ detachable cable
- cable too rigid and don't stay in the routing channel
- ugly keycap font

If clicky/noisy/heavy switch is not your thing, I don’t think it's worth getting for $114+tax (compared to $70 brown) but there is no easy way to try out the green switches. Oh well :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:35:13 by gh_pp »
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 08:39:48 »

The actuation force is lighter than model M, but the bottom out resistance is greater. I find it feels quite a lot like MX blues if you don’t bottom out.
However, it is extremely noisy and loud. I used it in the office the first day I got it (shipped to work) and I don't think my coworkers would tolerate it if I kept it as my daily driver.

Are you serious? The Green is much quieter than Blues, and you have a BS for god's sake.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 08:44:24 »

Are you serious? The Green is much quieter than Blues, and you have a BS for god's sake.

Green is quieter than blues? I would have to disagree, that is simply not true.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 08:48:29 »

Maybe you're thinking of Whites Link? Cuz Green and Blue stems are identical (except for color, of course), so the sound they produce should be about the same, if not louder on Greens due to the added force of the heavier spring.

Nice review though. Wish the Stealth's didn't come with side-printed caps...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 08:54:31 »
Wish the Stealth's didn't come with side-printed caps...

But that's why they call them stealth's.....:eek:

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 08:57:10 »
But I'm too noob for side printed caps. I need them big letters on them keys...

I'd just buy more QFRs but it seems that Newegg doesn't carry them anymore...? (could I just be blind or something, cuz I only see stealths).
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 08:58:11 »
But I'm too noob for side printed caps. I need them big letters on them keys...

I'd just buy more QFRs but it seems that Newegg doesn't carry them anymore...? (could I just be blind or something, cuz I only see stealths).

Just buy from Amazon they have both!

And it looks like newegg does to, brown, black and red...
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 08:59:48 by SpAmRaY »

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:01:16 »
Hmm, I guess they do...

But of course, Blues are out of stock -_-

And QFRs don't have Greens readily available anymore... I'll have to buy one used someday.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:02:54 »
Hmm, I guess they do...

But of course, Blues are out of stock -_-

And QFRs don't have Greens readily available anymore... I'll have to buy one used someday.

They come up in the classifieds all the time ;)

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:11:39 »
Maybe I'll just break down and make a board with Greens. Do they sell PCB-mount MX Greens? I could use them on my 60% PCB from Sprit's GB...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:13:19 »
Maybe I'll just break down and make a board with Greens. Do they sell PCB-mount MX Greens? I could use them on my 60% PCB from Sprit's GB...

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/cherry-mx-taking-pre-orders-t2760.html

^^ You can order some from 7bit GB at DT

Or just go ghetto and put heavier springs in blues!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:53:54 »

Oh right, DT... about that...

I got permabanned for mentioning Ripster. True story. Then webwit raged, modified one of my posts, and it all went downhill from there...

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/there-goes-geekhack-again-t3667-30.html#wrapper

tp thread is tp thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:55:19 »

I got permabanned for mentioning Ripster. True story. Then webwit raged, modified one of my posts, and it all went downhill from there...

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/there-goes-geekhack-again-t3667-30.html#wrapper

Well if you decide you want some greens from there let me know.....we can work it out!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:00:15 »

It's less tinny, is what I mean. Volume similar, but it's less piercing.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:06:26 »

Well if you decide you want some greens from there let me know.....we can work it out!

Thinking I'm gonna send them an email asking if they can un-ban my account.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:10:35 »

And if you want to go ghetto greens, I've got blues sliders, housings and black springs just saying! ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 18:51:38 »

That was a kinda vicious reaction - are you sure you want to go back?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 02:38:46 »

I didn't say it is louder than the blues but it is very noisy.

Actually I don't think I'm going to keep the mx green.
I might sell it for a lost or just return it less restocking fee.

To those who have tried both mx green and mx clear, is the clear really feel heavier than the green?

I just need to buy a snag a code keyboard or a keycool 87 when they are back in stock...

QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline baotung

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 03:27:44 »
I have the XT version, but I found my hands getting tired after long periods of typing.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 13:34:21 »
Using the XT version as well, love it. Coming from a Unicomp I don't have any problems w/ tiring.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Calcifar

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 15:51:21 »
Where can you find metal o rings anyhow ?

Offline pchatterjee

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:36:48 »
I want to thank you guys on the forum for this review.  I just received this keyboard and it is the first keyboard I have liked in the modern era - love the green switch.  The only keyboards I really liked before this were the the model Ms and the AEK II alps keyboards. Other than feel I think one of the most interesting things to note is that click and the actuation are better aligned than other cherry switch that I have tried.  I think this is what so put me off blue cherries before -- i.e. the sound was much louder than the force required to actuate the switch ( probably because I bottom out a lot not being a touch typist) -- this perceived variance and the actual real force required to actuate the switch always made me dislike other cherries.

Thanks very much -- cherry greens are the way to go for me -- I think this means for a quiet environment I would like the MX clears more than other cherry switches as well.  I though about also getting the backlit version with 10 keys (I would have bought the stealth version with 10 keys if it existed).

So question for those on here - are their better quality stealth keycaps for these?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:26:59 »
I want to thank you guys on the forum for this review.  I just received this keyboard and it is the first keyboard I have liked in the modern era - love the green switch.  The only keyboards I really liked before this were the the model Ms and the AEK II alps keyboards. Other than feel I think one of the most interesting things to note is that click and the actuation are better aligned than other cherry switch that I have tried.  I think this is what so put me off blue cherries before -- i.e. the sound was much louder than the force required to actuate the switch ( probably because I bottom out a lot not being a touch typist) -- this perceived variance and the actual real force required to actuate the switch always made me dislike other cherries.

Thanks very much -- cherry greens are the way to go for me -- I think this means for a quiet environment I would like the MX clears more than other cherry switches as well.  I though about also getting the backlit version with 10 keys (I would have bought the stealth version with 10 keys if it existed).

So question for those on here - are their better quality stealth keycaps for these?

feng on ebay sells very thick PBT side-print caps. However, they're usually well over $70 and will set you back a lot. qtan also has thick PBT caps on his site (here). Otherwise, since you don't touch type, it seems that blanks wouldn't be very helpful, so that leaves out the Rubber Duck and modding with ghetto greens.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 20:56:08 »
Oh yeah, hey, I've got one of these now, in fact it might be the very one that was the subject of the OP's review, seeing as how I bought it from him!

Anyway, it's nice, although I switched the keycaps for Ivan's PBT GB 'cause I tend to often not just sit and type, but work on something else, then lean over and press a couple of keys for something, and it's not convenient to shift across the desk and position myself properly in front of the keyboard, so legends were a must.

Pros:

MX greens - nice and stiff, nice and clicky (and on this board a uniform click across the board!)
Unbranded (apart from one logo on the side facing away from me)
Same braided semi-rigid cable as the QFR, means you can bend it around something (e.g. the monitor base) and it will stay there
Removal of the Costar stabiliser inserts from the stock keycaps was relatively painless (some keyboards they just won't come out of the keycaps)

Cons:

The rubber feet are leaving black scrapy marks on the desk
Discolourations seem to show up on the black rubberised surface for some reason, didn't notice that with my QFR with a gray rubberised coating

Mehs:

Pretty much the same as my QFR with MX blacks, except a blacker case and clickier
Keycaps are swapped on both, so QFR or QFS meh

Offline Belfong

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 21:05:11 »
I suppose the key caps are all standards? I am considering a TKL for all those SA keycaps I have ordered. MX Greens is what I am eyeing but I am also considering the KBT ONI browns. I have a feeling the ONI has a smaller form factor but I am not sure how big/small the QFR Stealth is.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 21:09:40 »
I suppose the key caps are all standards? I am considering a TKL for all those SA keycaps I have ordered. MX Greens is what I am eyeing but I am also considering the KBT ONI browns. I have a feeling the ONI has a smaller form factor but I am not sure how big/small the QFR Stealth is.

QFR/QFS are standard TKL.

Thin bezel all around (< 5mm).

Offline gcb

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:01:37 »
delete
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:04:19 by gcb »

Offline Lammie

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 14:14:02 »
MX Green was my first mechanical keyboard. Later, having tried more different switches. Still find the mx Green too stiff and heavy. Love the sound though! Nice as practice keyboard to train the fingers or touch-typing.
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline deltuhhh

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 23:03:37 »
I was thinking of stealing my buddies CM Storm MX Green board.... Nah. I'm glad you like yours!

Offline Bludude4

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:50:05 »
What kind of O-Rings do you recommend. Also, what are the cheapest a person can find. I wanna try some out, but don't want to pay out the nose for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/240pcs-Keycap-Rubber-O-Ring-Switch-Dampeners-RED-For-CHERRY-MX-/281375325873?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418346beb1

"Edit": They're cheap, and it may look like sketchy, but they're o-rings, and it's hard to make "quality" o rings as far as I know.  I mean, they're tiny rubber toroidals. Maybe the type of rubber? But I don't know how that would contribute to the feel any... I dunno
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 July 2014, 19:52:54 by Bludude4 »
All hail Hall Effect keyboards!
I'm a QFR Blues noob.
WASD keycaps are terrible.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 05:05:43 »
Red o-rings from WASD with mx green are awesome!
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline cbot

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 11:35:35 »
Very nice review, and thank you Rowdy for your input. The rubberized feet messing up your desk seems like a really bad con.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 01:50:25 »
Very nice review, and thank you Rowdy for your input. The rubberized feet messing up your desk seems like a really bad con.

My QFR has similar rubber feet - but not a mark from them!  Only from the QFS.

Must be a different type of rubber or something.