Author Topic: Quickfire Stealth or Ducky Pro?  (Read 6982 times)

Offline pagosElite

• This website clings to you.
Quickfire Stealth or Ducky Pro?
« on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 04:13:32 »
Recently my Quickfire Pro broke (the lights just stopped working) after ~8 months of use. Currently I have the option to buy the Quickfire Stealth in Brown switches even though I've already had bad experience with them or the Ducky Pro in Blue switches  which I have heard much more about the build quality of a Ducky Pro than the Quickfire Stealth. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ducky. Also, I wish a CMStorm rep could answer this, what exactly is the difference between the Stealth and the Rapid? So ya, QFS or Ducky Pro?

Offline Gazeb0

Re: Quickfire Stealth or Ducky Pro?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 04:31:20 »
As per the differences between the QFRs and the QFSs, I believe the only difference is where the printing is on the keycaps (on top with the Rapids, on the side with the Stealths) and the selection of switches (like how greens are available on the stealth, but not on the rapid).
Leopold FC660M /w Clears | Keycool 84 White | 2 CM Storm QuickFire Rapid's | CM Storm QuickFire Stealth | ThinkPad Compact USB w/ TrackPoint | IBM Model M 1391401 (29-Aug-1990) | Dell AT101W

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 05:11:50 »
As per the differences between the QFRs and the QFSs, I believe the only difference is where the printing is on the keycaps (on top with the Rapids, on the side with the Stealths) and the selection of switches (like how greens are available on the stealth, but not on the rapid).
Are the side-printed keys easy to view?

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 05:24:01 »
I'd go with the ducky pro tbh, seems to be a much better keyboard with a much sturdier construction.
你搞砸了

Offline zenko

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 05:37:37 »
Sorry, i just got this question: is the LED of mech-key easy to broke like that, or just because of it's CM's LED? I saw that the LED of fans in my PC case still work well after 2 years, 16hours/day :p

And, is ducky's LED the same as CM's LED?

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 05:54:20 »
This may be a stupid question but what is a ducky pro?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 06:18:08 »
I'd go with the ducky pro tbh, seems to be a much better keyboard with a much sturdier construction.
I've heard that the cmstorms are starting to get manufactured by the same OEM as filcos.

Sorry, i just got this question: is the LED of mech-key easy to broke like that, or just because of it's CM's LED? I saw that the LED of fans in my PC case still work well after 2 years, 16hours/day :p

And, is ducky's LED the same as CM's LED?
I'll let you in on a secret, the LEDs are my fault. My friend smashed it when i let him play a game of sc2 on the computer. Like hard. But the keys still worked surprisingly. The keys started to get funky later on. And neither of those has backlighting really.

This may be a stupid question but what is a ducky pro?

A fellow Terran! Don't feel stupid. Duckys are high end mechanical keyboards that i think user costar stabilizers and are very popular and are in league with filcos is im right.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 06:48:17 »
Ducky uses cherry stabilizers not costar, I'm very happy with the one I got but I don't really use it anymore.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline terran5992

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 06:53:27 »
I know what the brand ducky but i dont know what is a ducky pro. Could someone link me to the product?

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 07:00:36 »
I know what the brand ducky but i dont know what is a ducky pro. Could someone link me to the product?
'Technically they are called Ducky G2pro
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 07:32:51 »

this one sir -> DK9008G2-PRO / DK9087G2-PRO (same with shine 2 but only WASD LED)

http://duckychannel.com.tw/en/DK9008_G2Pro.html

Offline terran5992

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 07:39:01 »
Oh lol the g2 pro. Never real fond of the leds it have

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 07:48:47 »
Recently my Quickfire Pro broke (the lights just stopped working) after ~8 months of use. Currently I have the option to buy the Quickfire Stealth in Brown switches even though I've already had bad experience with them or the Ducky Pro in Blue switches  which I have heard much more about the build quality of a Ducky Pro than the Quickfire Stealth. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ducky. Also, I wish a CMStorm rep could answer this, what exactly is the difference between the Stealth and the Rapid? So ya, QFS or Ducky Pro?

Technically, Quick Fire Stealth is very different with Quick Fire Pro.
Quick Fire Stealth is made in Taiwan by Costa.

IMO, Quick Fire Stealth and Duck Pro have similar quality, construction and keyboard feeling.
There is one obvious different, it is about the stabilizer (QFS uses Costa and Ducky uses Cherry)
Other than that, I think both keyboards are rock and solid.
I like linear switches

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 09:28:04 »
I'd pick the QuickFire Stealth.

QuickFire Pro is actually made from a different place than QuickFire Stealth (Which has better quality).

And in terms of Costar stabilizer vs Cherry stabilizer, I like Costar better because Cherry stabilizer can feel a bit "mushy" when bottom out.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 10:15:06 »
I cannot make a direct comparison of these two specific boards. However, I had a Ducky Shine II with browns that had poor build quality -- warped case that wobbled on the desk. On the other hand, I have a CM QFS with greens that impresses me as a solid board with excellent build quality. The only issue I have with the CM board is that the braided cable is too stiff, and the recessed area around the cable connection needs to be bigger to make it easier to attach and detach the cable.

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:20:56 »

IMO, Quick Fire Stealth and Duck Pro have similar quality, construction and keyboard feeling.
There is one obvious different, it is about the stabilizer (QFS uses Costa and Ducky uses Cherry)

So which stabilizer do you think is of higher quality/better?

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:21:41 »
And thanks everyone for these amazing replies, thank you so much!

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:25:28 »
Also, do you think i would be able to type and game when cherry reds?

Offline terran5992

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:31:14 »

Corstar stabalizers are better.

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 02:53:12 »
If i ordered a QFRS would the costar stabilizers be compatible with o-rings?

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 04:35:57 »

If you ask my personal preference, I would say that I prefer Costa stabilizer for the smoothness and enjoyment of typing experience.
Costa stabilizer has one weakness which is not so friendly when you replace the keycap due to :
+ Stabilizer Insert
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert.html
+ Stabilizer spring
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-stabilizer-spring-for-keycaps.html

On the other hand, Cherry stabilizer quality is acceptable and easy to replace keycap.
I'm pretty sure that many GHers would say they would prefer Cherry stabilizer over Costa stabilizer.
So it must be personal experience and feeling. It would not hurt anybody anyway.

BTW, you can also improve the smoothness of both stabilizer types by using this from Elite Keyboard :
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,misc&pid=mechlube
(IMO, this kind of lube is a must-have lube for keyboard enthusiasts)
I like linear switches

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 04:38:16 »

Yes, indeed, you can view WASD guide about o-ring.
(WASD keyboards are using Costa stabilizer )

I like linear switches

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:59:30 »

If you ask my personal preference, I would say that I prefer Costa stabilizer for the smoothness and enjoyment of typing experience.
Costa stabilizer has one weakness which is not so friendly when you replace the keycap due to :
+ Stabilizer Insert
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert.html
+ Stabilizer spring
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-stabilizer-spring-for-keycaps.html

On the other hand, Cherry stabilizer quality is acceptable and easy to replace keycap.
I'm pretty sure that many GHers would say they would prefer Cherry stabilizer over Costa stabilizer.
So it must be personal experience and feeling. It would not hurt anybody anyway.

BTW, you can also improve the smoothness of both stabilizer types by using this from Elite Keyboard :
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,misc&pid=mechlube
(IMO, this kind of lube is a must-have lube for keyboard enthusiasts)

Yes, indeed, you can view WASD guide about o-ring.
(WASD keyboards are using Costa stabilizer )

How would I put these o-rings (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XWXCE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on costar stabilizers?

Offline chill1217

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 17:07:59 »
isn't your quickfire pro still under warranty?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 17:08:47 »
The Ducky DK9008G2 Pro is of vastly higher quality across the board, both subjectively and objectively. Every component and the build quality is miles ahead of CM Storm and then some.

To apply the good old automobile analogy, Ducky DK9008G2 Pro is a Mercedes-Benz and the CM Storm is a rusty Yugo.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 17:20:11 »
isn't your quickfire pro still under warranty?

It is, but if i can get a refund for it, buy a cheaper/better board with the money and save some why not. And I honestly never used the numpad so it was a waste of space.

Yeah, I thought about polishing it out, but it looks really good as is.
I'm honestly surpriesed it came out as good looking as it did, since I knew I was not going to do anything crazy, I might as well
spend a weekend getting one painted so I can contribute to all the work that was done to get this going.

Wow you must not like CMStorm...

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 17:33:40 »
The Ducky DK9008G2 Pro is of vastly higher quality across the board, both subjectively and objectively. Every component and the build quality is miles ahead of CM Storm and then some.

To apply the good old automobile analogy, Ducky DK9008G2 Pro is a Mercedes-Benz and the CM Storm is a rusty Yugo.

This surprises me. My experience has been just the opposite. However, I have heard that the quality control and fit and finish of Ducky products has improved recently. The CM QFR and QFS are built by Costar, so the quality there ought to be good as well, which is certainly borne out by the solid build of my CM QFS with Cherry mx greens. Moreover, the CM QFS comes with a 2-year warranty. On the other hand, whereas the Filco MJ2 TKL is also built by Costar, the PCB in the Filco is reportedly of higher quality than the PCB used for some other boards built by Costar.

Sometimes, the choice comes down to personal preferences with respect to features that are offered on one product versus another.

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 19:11:41 »
So about putting o-rings on costars...

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 19:48:57 »

I'm sure this will be useful for o-ring installation :

and this for Stabilizer and Clip Installation

high quality o-ring from wasd :
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html
I like linear switches

Offline pagosElite

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:23:58 »

I'm sure this will be useful for o-ring installation :

and this for Stabilizer and Clip Installation

high quality o-ring from wasd :
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

Thanks alot, I'll see these when I can.

Offline Winther

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:22:34 »
Personally I would go with Ducky Pro, looks better imo and I love the bleu switch!