Author Topic: [SOLD] IBM Model M 1391401 1987 super clean bolt-modded  (Read 6745 times)

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • weird funny old guy
[SOLD] IBM Model M 1391401 1987 super clean bolt-modded
« on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 21:05:29 »
Now I am going into my personal collection and selling a really prime specimen of "the one true keyboard".

I carefully refurbished and bolt-modded this early clean keyboard a couple of years ago and packed it away for safekeeping.

If you are looking for a super-clean, high-quality, immaculate early model M then look no further. Includes SDL cable.

$85 shipped domestic US. ($146 shipped international - not negotiable)

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 September 2013, 21:30:09 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Game Theory

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: IBM Model M 1391401 1987 super clean bolt-modded
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 21:17:45 »
Looks in excellent condition. GLWS.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: [FS] IBM Model M 1391401 1987 super clean bolt-modded
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 21:22:22 »
This is a particularly nice one.

I have had very poor results selling bolt-modded Model Ms (this is about the 3rd), even though you see people here complaining about a lack of good ones on the market.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 21:26:26 »
I have one of fohat's modded M and is a wonderful board. Buy this. :)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 22:04:24 »
I would totally buy this if international shipping wasn't such a pain. :( Free bump for you.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline turtle

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 22:43:08 »
Very tempting

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 22:50:14 »
If you are looking for a super-clean, high-quality, immaculate early model M then look no further. Includes SDL cable.

$85 shipped domestic US. ($146 shipped international - not negotiable)

Dear Sir,

Please let me buy it at your price tag of $146.00 delivered to my address here in Convict Town  8) .

Just pm me your paypal address details so that we can complete this deal as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2013, 22:52:02 by Elrick »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 04:26:38 »
congrats Harry, a good item finds a loving owner! too bad you weren't selling bolt modded terminals (and I already have too many terminals)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 07:13:10 »
As usual missed out on another Sale.  No worries, there will be others to buy.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 07:27:37 »
As usual missed out on another Sale.  No worries, there will be others to buy.

First inquiry pending but not consummated. You may yet get lucky.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 07:35:40 »

I like that 'consummated' analogy  8) .  When I first saw your post and you provided some pics and even has your label on the keyboard showing to the world that this keyboard was expertly 'tuned' by you, I knew I had to buy it.

Little did I know I was so slow with the purchase.  This place can be far worse than Ebay, when someone has something of real merit to sell here.  I only hope the buyer truly appreciates this perfect version of a Model-M.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 07:49:06 »

I like that 'consummated' analogy  8) .  When I first saw your post and you provided some pics and even has your label on the keyboard showing to the world that this keyboard was expertly 'tuned' by you, I knew I had to buy it.

Little did I know I was so slow with the purchase.  This place can be far worse than Ebay, when someone has something of real merit to sell here.  I only hope the buyer truly appreciates this perfect version of a Model-M.

I got the response about 3 minutes after my second post, but I had gone to bed.

My experience is that geekhackers like bargain-hunting. Too bad international shipping has come to exceed the actual price of items, in many cases.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 09:57:08 »
Whomever gets it is getting a clean and trouble free future Model M.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline MarkPharaoh

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 11:38:32 »
Sex
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 12:39:46 »
If the deal doesn't go through, let me know, I'd be interested.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 16:37:51 »
If the deal doesn't go through, let me know, I'd be interested.

Who knows, I have been waiting all day to hear from somebody who PM'd me last night ......
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Mike48

• PATENT THIS CUSTOM TITLE
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 21:24:37 »
I've been reading this thread with more than a bit of dismay and disbelief. It seems that very few Model M enthusiasts are willing to pay a fair price for a keyboard such as this one, really clean, fully functional, and bolt-modded by someone with substantial experience doing this work. It also seems like too many Model M fans think any price over $30 for a used Model M in clean, excellent condition is too much to pay. Let me clue you all in to something. Yes, you can find used Model M's probably fished out of a garbage dumpster (and looking like it) for $30. IME the average selling price for Model M's worth owning is usually between $50-100 + shipping, with occasional rare exceptions.

Years ago, around 1991 IIRC, I had to pay $250, plus a $25 handling charge to buy a new Model M from an IBM service depot back when these were not sold by IBM except with an IBM PC. I lied to the service depot folks, telling then I owned a PC/AT that had a failed keyboard and I needed a replacement; otherwise I couldn't have bought it at all. And I still felt damned lucky to own a Model M without having to buy a PC/AT -- even at that high a price.

If you start with a Model M that you got for free because you happen to be in the recycling business, it's no secret that you can afford to sell it for $30. But if you had to buy that keyboard (on eBay or elsewhere) and it's one of the nicer ones, and then you add about 3-4 hours or more of labor to thoroughly clean it inside and out, then bolt-mod it using high-quality stainless steel fasteners costing anywhere from $10-20 depending on how many you actually install, selling it for less than $100 means that you're effectively working for minimum-wage.

I've been collecting Model M's for some time now and currently have about 100 or so, about 1/3 of them being NIB and the rest used but in superb condition. I plan to offer these for resale in the near future. I plan to bolt-mod every one of them using USA-made stainless steel low-profile Torx-head screws. These screws cost about 35 cents each and there are 51 of them (if I counted correctly) -- I don't bolt the very last row in the front (under the spacebar, etc.) because doing so interferes with re-seating the keyswitch assembly back into the housing, and these front-row rivet positions are completely unnecessary anyway IMO. So far I've completed around 15 or so, with excellent results. These keyboards are also quite pristine in appearance, almost as nice as when they were new.

I'm planning to include a brand-new SDL cable (cost ~$20 each) and USB converter (cost ~10-15 each) with each keyboard, and am even converting the "attached-cable" M's to detachable SDL format by replacing the existing PCB header (that takes the attached cable) with an SDL receptacle since mounting holes, solder pads, and wiring for an SDL receptacle are also present on these controller boards.

Furthermore, I'm having custom 2-piece foam packing inserts made so these will be well-protected in shipment. The inserts will cost around $25 per set. Adding up all the costs and the labor, I find that I will have to get at least $175 for a typical 101-key Model M.

But now I'm wondering if I'll be able to sell these at that price level, no matter how good they are...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 21:44:27 »
Furthermore, I'm having custom 2-piece foam packing inserts made so these will be well-protected in shipment. The inserts will cost around $25 per set. Adding up all the costs and the labor, I find that I will have to get at least $175 for a typical 101-key Model M.

But now I'm wondering if I'll be able to sell these at that price level, no matter how good they are...

If it's as good as you say then I'll buy one for sure.  Hate always missing out on perfectly restored Model-M's, due to where I live.

Offline Mike48

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 23:42:03 »

If it's as good as you say then I'll buy one for sure.  Hate always missing out on perfectly restored Model-M's, due to where I live.

Thanks for that bit of reassurance, Elrick. I should be ready to start offering these in a month or so. Not sure if I'll be able to post them here on GH, being a newbie to this forum, so I'm trying to decide between eBay and starting my own website specializing in all bolt-modded Model M's only. I've even got a few NIB SSK's, but had to pay so much to get them that I don't know if I can sell them at enough of a profit to make it all worthwhile.

34957-0

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 23:55:11 »
Thanks for that bit of reassurance, Elrick. I should be ready to start offering these in a month or so. Not sure if I'll be able to post them here on GH, being a newbie to this forum, so I'm trying to decide between eBay and starting my own website specializing in all bolt-modded Model M's only.

(Attachment Link)

Good to finally find someone willing to provide quality refurbished Model-M's to everyone else in the world today.  Will definitely buy one from you if you are using all Stainless Steel quality fasteners Made in the USA.

After all you are selling Model-M's hence please avoid any foreign parts inside these keyboards.  Keep it all USA if at all possible  8) .

Offline Hellmark

Re: [SOLD] IBM Model M 1391401 1987 super clean bolt-modded
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 01:21:04 »
Like I said before, I'm interested.

I've spent about $50 on my model M's before, but they weren't in the best shape, and didn't really last that long (~6 years or so each). First one had a retainer clip break, and I don't feel confident enough to do a bolt mod myself (which would be required after going in and replacing the clip). Second one, looks like someone spilled water on, so really not much can do there.

I guess part of it for people, is they want fancy looking keyboards, with all sorts of custom options and layouts. You really don't get that in an M.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 07:24:37 »

I have been very disappointed selling bolt-modded Ms. I have sold 3 over the past 2 years and gotten $55-$70 + shipping. Certainly not worth it.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 08:00:16 »
I've even got a few NIB SSK's, but had to pay so much to get them that I don't know if I can sell them at enough of a profit to make it all worthwhile.

NIB SSK would sell pretty well here.  I wouldn't bolt mod them but you could offer to for extra if the buyer want it to be done.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:38:42 »
Harry, I think you are just unlucky. A bolt modded something from you with your assurance of quality is definitely worth $100 or more.

I am also unlucky. You were not selling bolt modded terminals for $150.

I would have bought just ONE and used it all the time. Instead now I have several terminals, all of which require work, and I have a pile of 'pending' projects that will take up all my weekends between now and next Christmas. Furthermore I am emotionally and financially committed towards modding them now, so even if you offered a wonderful terminal I might not buy (but would definitely continue to pester you with modding advice questions.)

But if you feel like selling a teensy adapter, I'm interested! I could always do with more.

I have been very disappointed selling bolt-modded Ms. I have sold 3 over the past 2 years and gotten $55-$70 + shipping. Certainly not worth it.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Mike48

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 11:01:22 »

The difficulty in selling bolt-modded M's that you've experienced is the reason I posted my comments. Others on this forum have recommended your bolt-mod work rather highly so it's really surprising to me that you've only been able to sell a few and at VERY low prices. I have to pay that much on average (+ shipping) just to acquire decent M's to begin with. I surely hope I haven't wasted my time, money, and effort to collect, clean, and bolt-mod so many of them.

I think the problem is that too many M fans want too much for too little and don't appreciate the painstaking work that goes into every bolt mod. Those who truly love typing on a rock-solid Model M know that bolt-modding is the ONLY way to insure the longevity of these aging but wonderful keyboards. A portion of my collection:

35007-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 11:06:17 »
For what it's worth, fohat.digs' sales have always had bad timing for me. Techno Trousers sniped an AEK before I could. Then I already had a board with Clicky White Alps and wasn't interested in another. This time I wanted to buy a Model M but I didn't want to destroy Harry's great work. I want to mod my own Model M and since this is all finished already, I don't have interest. I want to clean and bolt mod my own just for the experience.

And maybe cut it down like The_Beast did.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 17:05:11 »
I am also unlucky. You were not selling bolt modded terminals for $150.

I suspect that for about the past half-year the going rate for a dirty ebay F-122 is about that, plus shipping. If one even hits the auction block at all.

My price for the modding would need to be $100 on top of that.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 17:06:28 »
I want to clean and bolt mod my own just for the experience.

This.

When I started it was assumed that bolt-modding a Model M was strictly a labor of love and that nobody could turn a profit from it.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 17:09:44 »
I have to pay that much on average (+ shipping) just to acquire decent M's to begin with.

I think the problem is that too many M fans want too much for too little and don't appreciate the painstaking work that goes into every bolt mod.

I would certainly recommend that you leave all the "new-in-box" new in the box for resale. Some people will gladly pay a bigger premium for a virgin than they would for the hours of work that a good rehab/refurb/bolt-mod entails.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:29:38 »
Some people will gladly pay a bigger premium for a virgin than they would for the hours of work that a good rehab/refurb/bolt-mod entails.

Actually so-called "New-In-Box" means nothing other than getting pristine conditioned key-caps.  The plastic rivets still break off regardless due to age.  I would gladly pay a PROFESSIONAL to thoroughly bolt and fix a Model-M so that it retains it's original typing condition.

Plus finding someone that can actually bolt-mod without stuffing up the feedback from the key-strike/stroke which is very important, hence the person has to know what he's doing when it comes to re-furbishing this old style keyboard.  Of course, the older the keyboard - the higher the price tag  :thumb: .

Offline Mike48

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 22:08:35 »
Some people will gladly pay a bigger premium for a virgin than they would for the hours of work that a good rehab/refurb/bolt-mod entails.

Actually so-called "New-In-Box" means nothing other than getting pristine conditioned key-caps.  The plastic rivets still break off regardless due to age.  I would gladly pay a PROFESSIONAL to thoroughly bolt and fix a Model-M so that it retains it's original typing condition.

Plus finding someone that can actually bolt-mod without stuffing up the feedback from the key-strike/stroke which is very important, hence the person has to know what he's doing when it comes to re-furbishing this old style keyboard.  Of course, the older the keyboard - the higher the price tag  :thumb: .

Elrick, you so right about everything you just said. I am extremely aware of the potential for "stuffing up" the keystroke and buckling-spring click that a bolt mod can cause. I've had it happen on (fortunately) only a couple of M's and therefore these will not be offered for sale; I will scrap them out for parts. No one who pays a high price for a bolt-modded M should ever have to put up with soggy keystrokes, weak click, or unreliable actuation. The majority of the roughly 15 or so that I've completed have retained their intrinsic sound, feel, and actuation reliability. A few do seem a bit quieter but some may actually prefer that for various reasons.

I will be posting some details about my method and experience with bolt modding soon, and will welcome constructive comments and questions. I'll also post a bit about my background in electronics packaging and (more recently) high-performance sunglass lens technology (as weird a combination as that sounds).

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 17:45:04 »
Bump my own dead thread.

Clearly, Mike48 is a knowledgeable craftsman who understands and appreciates the value of ancient IBM iron.

Whoever missed out on my sale should shoot him a message and see if you can make a deal.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 19:40:11 »
I've been reading this thread with more than a bit of dismay and disbelief. It seems that very few Model M enthusiasts are willing to pay a fair price for a keyboard such as this one, really clean, fully functional, and bolt-modded by someone with substantial experience doing this work. It also seems like too many Model M fans think any price over $30 for a used Model M in clean, excellent condition is too much to pay. Let me clue you all in to something. Yes, you can find used Model M's probably fished out of a garbage dumpster (and looking like it) for $30. IME the average selling price for Model M's worth owning is usually between $50-100 + shipping, with occasional rare exceptions.

Years ago, around 1991 IIRC, I had to pay $250, plus a $25 handling charge to buy a new Model M from an IBM service depot back when these were not sold by IBM except with an IBM PC. I lied to the service depot folks, telling then I owned a PC/AT that had a failed keyboard and I needed a replacement; otherwise I couldn't have bought it at all. And I still felt damned lucky to own a Model M without having to buy a PC/AT -- even at that high a price.

If you start with a Model M that you got for free because you happen to be in the recycling business, it's no secret that you can afford to sell it for $30. But if you had to buy that keyboard (on eBay or elsewhere) and it's one of the nicer ones, and then you add about 3-4 hours or more of labor to thoroughly clean it inside and out, then bolt-mod it using high-quality stainless steel fasteners costing anywhere from $10-20 depending on how many you actually install, selling it for less than $100 means that you're effectively working for minimum-wage.

I've been collecting Model M's for some time now and currently have about 100 or so, about 1/3 of them being NIB and the rest used but in superb condition. I plan to offer these for resale in the near future. I plan to bolt-mod every one of them using USA-made stainless steel low-profile Torx-head screws. These screws cost about 35 cents each and there are 51 of them (if I counted correctly) -- I don't bolt the very last row in the front (under the spacebar, etc.) because doing so interferes with re-seating the keyswitch assembly back into the housing, and these front-row rivet positions are completely unnecessary anyway IMO. So far I've completed around 15 or so, with excellent results. These keyboards are also quite pristine in appearance, almost as nice as when they were new.

I'm planning to include a brand-new SDL cable (cost ~$20 each) and USB converter (cost ~10-15 each) with each keyboard, and am even converting the "attached-cable" M's to detachable SDL format by replacing the existing PCB header (that takes the attached cable) with an SDL receptacle since mounting holes, solder pads, and wiring for an SDL receptacle are also present on these controller boards.

I think the main problem is that many people remember that you could easily get a decent used M for $25-$50 and a NEW M from Clickykeyboards for less than a $100 just under 2 years ago. Of course, that's not the case anymore - anywhere.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 18:45:17 »
Bump my own dead thread.

Clearly, Mike48 is a knowledgeable craftsman who understands and appreciates the value of ancient IBM iron.

Whoever missed out on my sale should shoot him a message and see if you can make a deal.

Mike48 has rage quit (just look at his recent posts).

EDIT: I'm not gonna make a new post and bump this thread.
The_Ed has rage lost his mind and can't stop trying to hurt other people.

"trying to hurt other people"? Really? Show me where.

You yourself in your recent raging posts have said you were quitting GH and were tired of receiving low ball offer PMs (and you consider anything under $200 low ball).

EDIT2:
Mr. Ed, please define "raging". You really ought to buy a dictionary sometime -- when you learn how to read, that is.

Thanks for the example, I wonder if I should submit it to the urban dictionary.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2013, 20:46:15 by The_Ed »
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Mike48

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 19:48:31 »
The_Ed has rage lost his mind and can't stop trying to hurt other people.

Offline Mike48

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 20:34:17 »
Mr. Ed, please define "raging". You really ought to buy a dictionary sometime -- when you learn how to read, that is.