Author Topic: CPTBadAss and Dorkvader Roadtrip Across the USA [Writeup+Pics Completed]  (Read 61619 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: CPTBadAss and Dorkvader Roadtrip Across the USA - Let's Hang Out
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:01:08 »
chosun galbi is apparently the best kbbq place in ktown. 35/head though.

i like brodard chateau in westminster. maybe viet demik can help us choose a restaurant in little saigon

sgv i'll have to ask my friend where we got dim sum last time. we're definitely going there again.

dunno. there's like food everywhere here.

here cpt, this is _just_ a 3 block radius in little saigon in westminster

http://www.foodgps.com/top-little-saigon-restaurants/
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:11:52 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:50:29 »
Hey everyone, in CPTs itinerary, I'm an LA kid! So let's all hang out :D

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:52:46 »
OK kids, OP is update to show our time line. Also its here:

-Update 10/3/13: Ok here's the plan tentatively, all times in EST for now
  • 10/13/13 Sunday - 10/15/13 Tuesday: I fly into LA on Sunday and hang out with some LA kids
  • 10/16/13 Wednesday: Dorkvader arrives, we do car things and then hang out.
  • 10/17/13 Thursday - We leave from LA around 8 am and drive to Las Cruses, New Mexico. Looking like a 12 hour drive. We won't be stopping to visit anyone since there's no one on the way.
  • 10/18/13 Friday - We're stopping in Odessa, TX to meet with JD for lunch (Noon-ish). Then staying in a hotel in Dallas for the night. We'll be shooting for an arrival time in Dallas at 6 pm. We'll be spending the night there and we have all evening so this is probably the best place for a proper meetup.
  • 10/19/13 Saturday - Leaving Dallas at 8 am at the earliest and then driving to Nashville to have dinner with Mashby. Aiming to get into Nashville around 6 pm and leaving around 8 pm to arrive in Cincinnati by midnight.

Mashby and JD, are we still ok with hanging out? Unfortunately, we won't be spending the night at JDs :(

Anyone near Dallas or can get there should meet us there because we'll have the most time to spend there.

To everyone who we aren't going to pass or be near, I'm sorry. I will try and meet all you beautiful people another time.

Sounds good but you have to promise that if you are ever want to crash at my place you can't do it unless it has been below freezing for at least a month so I can feed you some real smoked meats and cheese.  Also you have to wait until I finish the Brushed Behemoth.  I'm not sure if the wife will let me mail a 25 pound stainless steel keyboard with return shipping paid just for you to try out.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:56:26 »

i like brodard chateau in westminster. maybe viet demik can help us choose a restaurant in little saigon

sgv i'll have to ask my friend where we got dim sum last time. we're definitely going there again.

The other Brodard is better.  Brodard Chateau serves less portion.  Kang HoDong is as good, and it's only $28/person after tax and tips.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:21:05 by sherryton »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:03:22 »
Of course we are still okay for hanging out. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:02:31 »
i heard tj and dv were going to compare feet. true or false?

Wtf? Totally missed something there.

Hey everyone, in CPTs itinerary, I'm an LA kid! So let's all hang out :D

You totally are! I felt bad you're actually Canadian so I reassigned you as an LA kid :P

Sounds good but you have to promise that if you are ever want to crash at my place you can't do it unless it has been below freezing for at least a month so I can feed you some real smoked meats and cheese.  Also you have to wait until I finish the Brushed Behemoth.  I'm not sure if the wife will let me mail a 25 pound stainless steel keyboard with return shipping paid just for you to try out.

LOL. I wouldn't expect a $60 shipping bill to be approved but I appreciate the thought. And smoked meats and cheese sound amazing :D.

The other Brodard is better.  Brodard Chateau serves less portion.  Kang HoDong is as good, and it's only $28/person after tax and tips.

I'm game for any and all of this food. I'll at all these restaurants later today but it seems like you and sherry have things well under control :D.

Of course we are still okay for hanging out. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys. :)

Awww yeah. I wish we could spend the night and have more time to see your collection but I'm excited to hang out anyways ^__^

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 22:55:52 »
... so I can feed you some real smoked meats and cheese. 

Hell, I'd consider going to Iowa for that...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 06:34:48 »
  • 10/19/13 Saturday - Leaving Dallas at 8 am at the earliest and then driving to Nashville to have dinner with Mashby. Aiming to get into Nashville around 6 pm and leaving around 8 pm to arrive in Cincinnati by midnight.

It's a shame you won't be able to visit MechanicalKeyboards.com, but I'm glad we can share a dinner together. Looking forward to it!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 10:01:23 »
We'll just have to meet up another time and go then mashby :D

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 10:10:55 »
When are you guys going international? =D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 10:37:32 »
Keycon 2015: Euro Trip :P

Offline iri

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 02:10:08 »
come to the dark side! we have buckwheat cookies!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 04:49:56 »

buckwheat pancakes is where it is at.  Use the standard recipe from the Betty Crocker cook book but substitute half the white flour for buckwheat flour
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline iri

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 05:19:47 »
buckwheat pancakes
blasphemy and heathen
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 05:24:46 »
I would make them again this morning if I could find buckwheat flour.  Nowhere around here sells it anymore.  I have even checked the health food stores.

Offline iri

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 05:47:49 »
om nom nom

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 10:53:32 »

I like cookies :D

om nom nom

(Attachment Link)

What is THAT? That looks amazing

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 13:07:00 »
It's like rissoto, but with buckwheat groats not rice.

Offline iri

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 03:14:09 »
What is THAT? That looks amazing
the healthiest thing in the darkside cookbook!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:22:23 »
Not to be nit picky, but I am going to be nit picky.   It's Las Cruces, not Las Cruses.

Geography lessons from your Cooks Corners Elementary School Geography Bee champ.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:25:42 »
Whatever....nerd :P (I updated the OP)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:36:45 »
Captain terry cloth
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:09:02 »
It's like rissoto, but with buckwheat groats not rice.

I'v always wanted to eat groats again.

as far as feet: I wear a 7.5 Us / 40 EU which is very small for a person of my height

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:46:40 »
I know those feels in regard to TJ's feet with a size 14 US of my own. He does have it worse though, with the width.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 11:21:38 »
Captain terry cloth

If you call me very soft again I'll slap you. But I ain't gon' get too hyped over you man, I'm gone bury you

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 20:53:23 »
Captain terry cloth

If you call me very soft again I'll slap you. But I ain't gon' get too hyped over you man, I'm gone bury you

If there is time, I'll happily play ping pong against all challengers. I will throw down on CPT's behalf if he's truly "thrown down the towel".

so many puns!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 21:32:55 »
Captain terry cloth

that escalated quickly

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 23:11:26 »
Lotta good shizz going on in this thread, what a great trip thread!
My schedule has intensified and improved (which is a very good thing), so I'm not a contender at any point to zip down to LA. It's only a 1 hour flight/6 hour drive, but my near future career meetings are happening Monday and again later in the week.

Who is soft again?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 07:34:05 »
Captain terry cloth

that escalated quickly

Learn your Dipset man, just quotes :P.

My schedule has intensified and improved (which is a very good thing), so I'm not a contender at any point to zip down to LA. It's only a 1 hour flight/6 hour drive, but my near future career meetings are happening Monday and again later in the week.

Who is soft again?

Boo. And demik is soft.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 08:10:04 »

Who is soft again?

Boo. And demik is soft.

Oh right, Demmi IS a softy. Softy-Essence as a matter of fact, a real Demmi-Bear. But I like that about him.

GO DEMMI-BEAR!!!!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 20:14:35 »
well at least im not drake soft

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 20:35:57 »
Only because you're softer.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 07:32:46 »
All right kids, my journey begins tomorrow at 3PM Eastern. If you are near Los Angeles, California; Las Cruses, New Mexico; Odessa, Texas; or Dallas, Texas and want to hang out, come out!

Otherwise, you can follow my adventures here. If I remember, I'll try and post Twitter style updates here. And I'll do a writeup like always when I come back with lots of pictures!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #183 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 13:53:59 »
I'm ready. Yes I have a GH themed backpack. Get on my level :P

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 14:03:05 »
QQ hef fun... buy me lapel pins
I love Elzy

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 14:03:57 »
North Face  :thumb:

joining the cool kids i see

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 14:12:02 »
See you tomorrow Answan!

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 14:16:49 »
"The Trip" has been going on for 15 minutes, I wonder if they got to the highway yet?  Hope they had time to stop for donuts.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 15:32:05 »
 Every good trip I go on has a faithful companion: 120gb Zune. With some great tunes ^__^. And highway? Not yet eth0s, I need to get to LA first. At the airport now!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 15:46:02 »
Obligatory airport keyboard picture. Dat RGB. And for those who are curious? I have my KMAC and Epsilon Theta with me for the trip. Think I'm getting my SSK back Wednesday too.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 16:04:45 »
Obligatory airport keyboard picture. Dat RGB. And for those who are curious? I have my KMAC and Epsilon Theta with me for the trip. Think I'm getting my SSK back Wednesday too.

Nice board!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 16:12:33 »
I bet youve never seen....AN AIRPLANE WING BEFORE. BAM.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 16:16:24 »
Whats your Twitter bro?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 16:25:33 »
This IS his twitter. ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 17:01:20 »
I should rename this thread to Tweethack or Geekstagram. Jdcarpe has the right idea hehe.

In other news? Delta pulled off a true miracle, I landed 35 minutes ahead of schedule. I'm going to ride this good luck streak and grab a lotto ticket :P.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 18:09:05 »
I just woke up because I felt a disturbance in the force. Then I remembered you were coming in today.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 18:27:15 »
I vaguely regret not getting a plane ticket now that I'm slowly getting over this headcold

Oh well, there's always Keycon: West Side Story.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 18:29:47 »
I just woke up because I felt a disturbance in the force. Then I remembered you were coming in today.

rofl
I love Elzy

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 18:30:52 »

when are you going to pick me up
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL