Author Topic: do_Og@n Painted Keycaps  (Read 15369 times)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
do_Og@n Painted Keycaps
« on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:29:12 »
I've been playing around with painting and decided I might as well paint some keycaps. I've done some work for other people to get more practice and I've started to turn out some pretty cool results.

I'm going to sell some eventually but this thread will be dedicated to just the keycaps and any ideas people throw at me.

And now for some pictures!!!  :p  I will post them in order of completion and only the ones I haven't sold or given away.

36336-0 36338-1 36340-2 36342-3 36383-4 37011-5 37570-6 37572-7 40694-8 40696-9
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2013, 17:54:43 by do_Og@n »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
Re: do_Og@n Painted Keycaps (under construction, please no posting yet)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:30:07 »
Here are the spacebars:

36807-0 37013-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2013, 21:10:32 by do_Og@n »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:30:21 »
Here are the images of sets that I've painted.

37566-0 37568-1 40692-2
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2013, 17:52:24 by do_Og@n »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:30:34 »
The list of keycaps that have been sold or given away.

37551-0 37553-1 37555-2 37557-3 37559-4 37561-537720-6 40698-7 40700-8 40702-9
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2013, 17:56:10 by do_Og@n »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:31:41 »
THE NERV ONE  (sorry I just HAD to post)

Splat one looks the best, and that icy blue one. ^_^
I love Elzy

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:33:45 »
I like the binary cap!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: do_Og@n Painted Keycaps
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:36:56 »
Very interesting and I know it is time consuming.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:37:47 »
Dem bricks. Everyone loves bricks.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 19:39:34 »
That spiral!

Plus, the brick one gives me an idea.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 19:43:32 »
I like the NERV cap and the hypnotic spiral :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 01:16:33 »
Updated with some more keycaps. One of them is for a fellow GeekHacker.

The purple swirl cap also has Glow in the dark paint over the darker purple which looks pretty cool.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 01:20:18 »
The last cap is so nice!!!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 01:23:07 »
Very impressive... I should commission a test cap :p
I love Elzy

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 01:30:08 »
Very impressive... I should commission a test cap :p

All suggestions will be taken. I'm up for a challenge, and if I do decide to sell the keycap the person who made the suggestion will have dibs on the keycap(s).

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 01:58:48 »
Amazing work, can't wait to see more. Keep it up

Offline koki

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:57:20 »
What did you paint them with? Btw amazing.... :thumb:

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 17:30:17 »
Keroppi ?! :D :D :D that looks really nice.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 18:08:08 »
Put up another one for another fellow GeekHacker.

The CMYK Swirl!!!

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 05:56:20 »
I am going to be painting a Model M keycap tonight. I want to test this method out on as many different types of keycaps as I can before I decide to sell them.

Mainly I want to make sure they will last and not wear off in the first year. I will be buying a Topre keycap from Elitekeyboards.com unless someone out there would like to borrow me one, let me paint it, and send it back?

Keep in mind if someone wants to do this I will be sanding and then painting they keycap. There will be no turning back. I will however paint whatever the person wants on it as long as it fits within my skills.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:19:08 »
I might send you Topper cap then.
I love Elzy

Offline Dansor

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:10:37 »
Very nice.  I would love to snatch up the phoenix one  :thumb:

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:14:34 »
Keroppi & CMYK swirl <3
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:22:25 »
Very nice.  I would love to snatch up the phoenix one  :thumb:

Unfortunately that one is already shipped out. I painted that one for a Geekhacker. I'm going to do some serious durability testing here soon. I want to make sure these caps will last a good amount of abuse before I decide to sell them.

I'll be making a wasd set here soon and start cranking in some more hours on L4D2. I'll be sure to post pictures.

Offline yjfknt

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:58:15 »
Hey do_Og@n, I PM'd you about the frog one, new to the site not sure if you got my reply.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 19:51:14 »
That spiral!

Plus, the brick one gives me an idea.

Spirals look really great!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 21:15:02 »
Updated with some more stuff.

Made a matching spacebar & Escape key combo!!!

I will be starting some Minecraft caps here soon after I finish with a couple of WASD sets.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 23:09:07 »

I will be starting some Minecraft caps here soon after I finish with a couple of WASD sets.

Rowdy pitches a tent ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 23:23:13 »

Cool--you're getting very creative with all the new caps :D  The frog cap is still by far my favorite.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 03:02:24 »
Did you put a layer of laquer? Might make the caps more durable

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:50:55 »
Did you put a layer of laquer? Might make the caps more durable

Yeah, I put 2 layers after the paint underneath has had some time to harden. You have to let the lacquer sit for about 3 days before it starts to harden. After that it feels almost bullet proof.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:53:12 by do_Og@n »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 12:22:17 »
i hope you are proud of this work. you should be. my favorite piece is the spacebar with the french like font. nicely done man.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Dansor

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 12:35:40 »
i hope you are proud of this work. you should be. my favorite piece is the spacebar with the french like font. nicely done man.

Agreed.  However, at first I read that as "the spacebar with the french fry," and now I really want a space bar that looks like a crinkle cut french fry.

Also I'm hungry.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 13:17:21 »
Thanks everybody! That font is actually an Ambigram of Geekhack.

A crinkle cut french fry spacebar sounds like a good idea to me....I'll add that to the list.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 18:24:03 »
I've added a few more. I really like the pumpkin one. The CMYK Splatter one looks okay but it turned out to be to thick and doesn't come off the board easy.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 18:36:59 »
Dibs on the blue and yellow spiral!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Dansor

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 18:48:52 »
That pumpkin is SWEET!
You are just killin in!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:47:59 »
Doogan, question for you -- what's your painting setup look like? In my keycap flocking thread (see my sig for the link) I put mine on skids to hold them down and manipulate them. I'm not painting the way you are, I'm really just sanding, and priming, but I'm pretty happy with my setup. How do you manage to keep the caps from moving around?
More

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:04:56 »
Doogan, question for you -- what's your painting setup look like? In my keycap flocking thread (see my sig for the link) I put mine on skids to hold them down and manipulate them. I'm not painting the way you are, I'm really just sanding, and priming, but I'm pretty happy with my setup. How do you manage to keep the caps from moving around?

I don't know if I will be able to describe it very well without photos but here goes.

Step 1 - I sand the keycap first with 600 grit and then finish it by wet sanding with 1500 grit.

Step 2 - I position the keycap on a makeshift dowel so I can keep it from moving or falling over while still keeping it off the ground. Which means I can turn the keycap without having to move the direction I'm spraying.

Step 3 - Once I am done spraying the keycap I take it indoors (so it doesn't catch anything) and set it on a makeshift stand keeping it level.

Step 4 - After coating it a couple of times a let it sit overnight so the paint has time to cure before I hand paint it.

Step 5 - After I spend way to much time hand painting it I let that paint set for a bit. I then layer it with a lacquer spray and let it harden for a couple days. Then it is ready for use.

I can upload pictures later of my makeshift stand and keycap dowel fastening thingy ma bobber. Everything but the actual spray painting is done within my house.

I read through your flocking thread and that looks awesome. Makes me want a purple velvet spacebar. I think you would benefit from being able to paint your keycaps off of a surface so you don't have to cut off the excess flock.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:06:40 »
I can upload pictures later of my makeshift stand and keycap dowel fastening thingy ma bobber. Everything but the actual spray painting is done within my house.

Yeah, let me see the dowel setup you're using. For MX caps I originally used a bamboo skewer with the tip cut down to hold it up in the air! My problem is how to speed up the process so I can do more keycaps in a single run without resorting to the 'air puffing' method of flocking.

I read through your flocking thread and that looks awesome. Makes me want a purple velvet spacebar. I think you would benefit from being able to paint your keycaps off of a surface so you don't have to cut off the excess flock.

The first 'bath mat' I made (see the beginning of the thread) it was a problem mainly because the flock undercoat was not adhering well enough -- so when I pulled the first few keycaps away from the mat -- some of the flocking stayed on the mat. After that I cut them loose from the flocked bathmat I created with an X-Acto knife.

Once I got the primer to work better and the adhesive to actually hold (and masked the bottoms properly) then excess flock wasn't a problem anymore. Sometimes there's a little excess, but a sharp scissor takes it right off.

I will gladly trade you a velvety magenta suede buckling spring spacebar for a spiral keycap!
More

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:34:25 »

Yeah, let me see the dowel setup you're using. For MX caps I originally used a bamboo skewer with the tip cut down to hold it up in the air! My problem is how to speed up the process so I can do more keycaps in a single run without resorting to the 'air puffing' method of flocking.

The first 'bath mat' I made (see the beginning of the thread) it was a problem mainly because the flock undercoat was not adhering well enough -- so when I pulled the first few keycaps away from the mat -- some of the flocking stayed on the mat. After that I cut them loose from the flocked bathmat I created with an X-Acto knife.

Once I got the primer to work better and the adhesive to actually hold (and masked the bottoms properly) then excess flock wasn't a problem anymore. Sometimes there's a little excess, but a sharp scissor takes it right off.

I will gladly trade you a velvety magenta suede buckling spring spacebar for a spiral keycap!

Only buckling spring. :(
I guess I do still have my SSK left. Haven't used it in a while but I'm planning on painting a RGB Spiral cap for it.

Trade you say....I think I can do that.

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:54:21 »
That pumpkin looks so nice

Offline tormentor

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 19:45:06 »
That Splat and Pumpkin are AWESOME! TAKE MY MONEY! PLEASE!

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 00:19:17 »
Just wait till you all see what I've been working on for the past couple days.

I'm making a set of 16 that will take up the entire top row. Still debating on whether I want to keep or sell them though.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 00:24:04 »

I'm making a set of 16 that will take up the entire top row. Still debating on whether I want to keep or sell them though.

Are they a series of little frog caps!? Are they?  Okay, probably not; I just want to see a set of 16 of them together :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2013, 00:26:09 by Photoelectric »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 01:14:24 »

Are they a series of little frog caps!? Are they?  Okay, probably not; I just want to see a set of 16 of them together :)

You know I could make a series of those but I have a more.....comical idea.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 01:35:06 »

I can't wait to get my frog cap c: The one that he painted was mine.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 21:35:11 »
Updated with some extra caps and sets I've painted. Still not finished with a set of 16 that will cover the entire top row. May take some time but they are turning out really well.

I think it's time to start selling caps but I'm looking for a good name for the swirl caps. Here are some of my ideas:

1- lollicap
2- Swurllicap
3- hypnocap

Couldn't use Vortex......we all know why. Feel free to throw out some ideas.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2013, 21:37:19 by do_Og@n »

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 21:55:15 »
Updated with some extra caps and sets I've painted. Still not finished with a set of 16 that will cover the entire top row. May take some time but they are turning out really well.

I think it's time to start selling caps but I'm looking for a good name for the swirl caps. Here are some of my ideas:

1- lollicap
2- Swurllicap
3- hypnocap

Couldn't use Vortex......we all know why. Feel free to throw out some ideas.
whirpoolcap?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 00:33:44 »
Or just whirlcap would be alright. I'll add that to the list.

Right now I think Hypnocap is my favorite.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 00:52:34 »
Or just whirlcap would be alright. I'll add that to the list.

Right now I think Hypnocap is my favorite.
Would you be interested in selling custom painted caps? After getting the first one, I think I might want more! :D
Keyboards Owned: