Author Topic: New Noppoo Choc Mini (UK) Possibly fake?  (Read 7695 times)

Offline dougal19

New Noppoo Choc Mini (UK) Possibly fake?
« on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 06:33:01 »
Hi there, yesterday I received my first mechanical keyboard, an Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Blues that I bought off Amazon UK for £56.

First impressions were kind of mixed, I love typing on it, and the sound it makes is the most satisfying thing! However, there were a few irregularities which confused me sightly:

1. It appears to look different to any other pics of a Choc Mini that I have previously seen; it has no coloured modifiers on any keys, only white text (which in my opinion looks better!)
2. It has no holes on Lock keys for the LEDs, instead they are mounted underneath between the keys which looks terrible and makes them nigh on impossible to see.
3. There is a spelling mistake on one of the keys where it says "SorLock" instead of "ScrLock"

The Cherry switches look genuine as far as I can tell (although I'm obviously no expert) although they do appear to be mounted backwards. Despite all this, I'm very happy with it and am glad I made the move to mechanical. I'm now considering getting some blank keycaps for it in either dark grey or green.

Do any of you have any experience with Choc Mini's or fakes? Even if this is a fake, it feels sturdy enough and the switches feel good so I'm not too bothered anyway.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: New Noppoo Choc Mini (UK) Possibly fake?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:02:45 »
Looks like legit 2013 revision to me.

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 14:54:42 »
Man I would rather have just pure white text like on yours than the colorschemeI have on my "old" Noppoo. It looks really good^^
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 14:59:16 by Morwrath »
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline dougal19

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 15:46:31 »
Looks like legit 2013 revision to me.

Have you seen any pictures of a 2013 version? I've only been able to find pictures of a 2013 White Choc mini and that still has all the coloured markings. Also, someone on /g/ posted a pic of a Choc mini that had the same backlighting (ie. not cut through) but the writing on the keys was still coloured and there was no spelling mistake on Scroll Lock.

Man I would rather have just pure white text like on yours than the colorschemeI have on my "old" Noppoo. It looks really good^^

I'm glad it looks this way too as the colour scheme had been one of the things that made me hesitant about buying it, in the end I got it becuase there weren't any other mechanical keyboards with blues and a small form factor available cheaply in the UK. However, the spelling mistake does seem rather odd...

Offline dougal19

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 15:48:06 »
One more thing; I haven't been able to work out the function of the Fn + F12 key. I don't know the symbol and as far as I can tell it just disconnects then reconnects the keyboard from the computer.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:03:50 »
I owned an old Choc Mini, 2011 model. And it has POM key caps. What you showed here doesn't looked like POM, so I am not sure if yours is legit or not.

Offline JimByr

• ...old guy...
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 13:31:33 »
This eBay listing has a large photo of the new Choc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noppoo-Choc-Mini-84-keys-Mechanical-Keyboard-with-Cherry-MX-Blue-/251168820337?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3a7ad40c71

And lists the differences for the new version.

Offline goedler

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 01:27:28 »
hi,

i got exactly the same keyboard from amazon.
it feels worthy n stuff but the LEDs are kind of misplaced.

so is this a legit version?

Offline shared4you

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 06:02:28 »
These are indeed legit. Because I bought them directly from Noppoo's Europe store (http://noppoo.eu/). And yea, it does say "SorLock". So the typo still there :)

Offline Pythmere

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 19:15:35 »
Hello, I just got this keyboard today and am loving. However I cant for the life of me figure out how to switch the caps lock/ctrl keys. On the other versions of the keyboard you use fn + Switch lock however This version the delete keys function ability says insert. Any one have any idea how to do it?

Offline pseudonym

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 06:12:05 »
I received my Noppoo choc mini black POM with MX browns yesterday and just wondered the same thing. Google led me here... so this is definitely not a fake? Still makes me wonder who thought the LED would be best positioned between 2 keys without a little window in the key to let the light shine through...

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 08:38:15 »
looks legit to me too. like what ivan said, it looks like the 2013 version.