Author Topic: Matias Mini Quiet Pro Disassembly and Analysis  (Read 18465 times)

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Matias Mini Quiet Pro Disassembly and Analysis
« on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:19:07 »
Sup guys, it's me bringing yet another disassembled keyboard and analysis of it.

Anyways, the keyboard is way too easy to open, there's only two screws in total (really), the rest is just hold up by plastic locks, which thank heavens aren't made out of low quality plastic like on Metadot Das Keyboard (broke almost all of the plastic locks on it) or the Logitech G710+ (broke at least two). They're more similar to the plastic locks on the CM Storm Trigger, which are sturdy and easy to open.

Also, Edgar Matias told me that the keyboard cases on Matias Quiet and Clicky keyboards are made out of Injected Policarbonate (used on football helmets), a more resistant plastic than the commonly used ABS (and which also costs more). I know that ABS can have different levels of quality, some can be sturdy and others not, for an instance, I find the ABS front cover of the CM Storm Trigger quite well done, while the plastic covers on Logitech G710+ and Tt Meka G-Unit are just crap.

Well, in the case of the Matias Mini Quiet Pro, the plastic is really sturdy and looks well done on both front and rear covers. But the only thing that gets me off is what most should've noticed by now, which are my fingerprints. Yeah, Glossy outside and inside, since its a characteristic of the plastic used on it (it's not even painted). That for me, is kinda like its only weak point, but the reason for that, according to Edgar Matias, is that he couldn't use a different cover from what's used on the Mac version and Mac users wanted the damn Glossy white covers. Damn hipsters...

Anyways, another detail on the photo of the rear cover, is that it has almost no rubber underneath it, which makes it easy to move around the table (and the glossy finish even helps). And its feet also don't have any rubber to keep the keyboard on place as well...  :(

Anyways, now let's talk about keycaps. The keycaps come from the same Taiwanese supplier (attention, although Costar does uses this supplier, Costar has no keycap tooling, so, this keyboard is NOT made by them) as FILCO Majestouch 2, CM Quick Fire Rapid/Stealth/XT/Trigger, Ducky Shine II, Ducky Shine III and a few other keyboards. Part of this affirmation comes from Edgar Matias himself and the other comes from how the plastic looks like, its feeling and the mold marking on the rear of the keycap.

Anyways, these are high-quality ABS keycaps with a very nice feel to them. Thankfully Matias didn't decided to choose cheaper keycaps from Datacomp or Solid Year...

Continuing, these are the photos of the keyboard disassembled, the PCB and the controller (which is removable) and the soldering (which looks well done):

Also, since the keyswitches themselves are transparent, that allows backlighting similar to membrane keyboards to be used. This here, is the Caps Lock key:

This way, you can have:

- Cheaper backlighting methods:

- RGB Backlight
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2013, 13:32:34 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Linkbane

Re: Matias Mini Quiet Pro Disassembly and Analysis
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:26:52 »
Mother of double posts.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline wetto

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:29:13 »
Mother of double posts.

Damn internet got me  :(
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 00:16:20 »
lol nice review, are you doing the RGB backlit mod?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline wetto

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 00:59:21 »
lol nice review, are you doing the RGB backlit mod?

It's not impossible, I could use exactly one of those acrylics and LEDs to do it and for a cheap price (http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/57/mg3258.jpg) since that keyboard costs around US$ 30, but no one produces backlit keycaps for ALPS keyboards anymore and even the last one I saw was a customized Matias keyboard made by TrueCustom:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=22875
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46060.0

If anyone's making a backlit Matias Keyboard with backlit keycaps, it's probably him. But I bet getting his hands on backlit-able keycaps from those old ALPS clones ain't gonna be easy nor are they gonna have some good quality.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2013, 01:06:01 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 07:18:43 »
So, what does Costar actually do, then?
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline wetto

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 08:23:06 »
So, what does Costar actually do, then?

They're a middle-man between several factories.

They manage ordering switches, keycaps, PCBs, cases and all the stuff needed to assemble a keyboard and send that to a certain factory to assemble it, which isn't always theirs.

"They're as good as the factory they've chosen" is something I heard many times...

Which means, they can do a pretty damn good job once in a while, but they can also screw up really bad which happened in two cases recently:

- A batch of 100 units of CM Quick Fire Stealth with MX Brown switches and bad soldering sold in the United States. Around 25 weren't even sold yet and many of the other 75 are already RMA'd or are in RMA process.

- A batch of 130 units of CM Quick Fire Stealth with MX Red Switches here in Brazil had wrong printing on the enter key:

Plus, add the fact that they screwed Cooler Master over the production cost of the CM Storm Trigger and there you have it. I really love their keyboards when they do a nice job, but you can't keep on the market by making mistakes frequently and not even caring about them, while also being slow and expensive  :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2013, 08:25:58 by wetto »
My collection:
More

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 08:30:05 »
Is the Costar reference platform actually theirs, or was that also designed by someone else?

We know that the Tactile Pro 2 was infamously made by Strong Man. The Tactile Pro 3 is supposed to be Costar. I don't know who made the original, though, and why Matias moved to Strong Man. (Strong Man claimed to have their own switch tooling, but I cannot find any evidence of this — all photos so far show known switches from other companies. Datacomp apparently had a trade fair stall recently demonstrating their new Alps clones, but there's no evidence of that either — I've had no reply since from Mechanical Keyboards, and no reply from Datacomp at all.)

Then you have all those holes in the PCB — it's like it's intended for Cherry MX, but it would be news to me that Cherry MX and Alps CM have compatible PCB holes.
Bore Awards

Offline wetto

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 09:44:58 »
Is the Costar reference platform actually theirs, or was that also designed by someone else?

We know that the Tactile Pro 2 was infamously made by Strong Man. The Tactile Pro 3 is supposed to be Costar. I don't know who made the original, though, and why Matias moved to Strong Man. (Strong Man claimed to have their own switch tooling, but I cannot find any evidence of this — all photos so far show known switches from other companies. Datacomp apparently had a trade fair stall recently demonstrating their new Alps clones, but there's no evidence of that either — I've had no reply since from Mechanical Keyboards, and no reply from Datacomp at all.)

Then you have all those holes in the PCB — it's like it's intended for Cherry MX, but it would be news to me that Cherry MX and Alps CM have compatible PCB holes.

Beats me... Also, I don't know who exactly makes these Matias keyboards... :(

But the reason for those holes in the PCB, is actually to shine light through them, though as you said, it makes it compatible with Cherry MX Switches at the same time, which is quite interesting and could mean that these keybords with Matias switches can be produced in just about any mechanical keyboard OEM out there, with the only "problem" of ALPS keycaps being a bit hard to get and probably expensive.
My collection:
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 11:21:17 »
Very nice - thanks.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 12:08:52 »
Doh, didn't realise that the LEDs are on the reverse of the PCB …
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 17:05:23 »

The holes are to allow backlight mods, once we have the keycaps available.  You'd just need to design a second PCB with the LEDs, and mount it directly under the stock PCB.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 17:09:28 »
OK, so you definitely have to outdo Ducky's light shows :-)

(I love the one where the keys light up when struck, then fade out. Just make sure that the PCM converter has enough brightness steps that you don't see the light fade away in obvious brightness reductions. I also laugh at all the companies that have pulsating sleep indicators that have really unnatural, jerky rhythms, i.e. all of them. It should be a gentle, smooth curve.)
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 17:28:22 »
OK, so you definitely have to outdo Ducky's light shows :-)

They remind me of Christmas tree lights.  :-)

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 17:50:07 »
PS when are you making RGB keycap sets for the Quiet Pro? :P
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 18:17:03 »
PS when are you making RGB keycap sets for the Quiet Pro? :P

We're going to start tooling up soon.  Perhaps 3-4 months from now.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 18:35:42 »
Yay.

(There must be a way to disable animated smilies on this forum by default! That one is particularly egregious.)
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 18:59:04 »
(There must be a way to disable animated smilies on this forum by default! That one is particularly egregious.)

Haa, true.

You just need to include a nose...  :-P

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 22:35:48 »
I posted these months ago, I think in the Matias vendor forum, but here's my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88005189@N05/sets/72157631688113659/

One thing I will say about the keycaps is that they've shined up a ton. The lettering hasn't worn though...still as strong as when I got it.

I also didn't care for the glossy finish, so I did something about it....spray paint.

Full Keyboard Painted by adfrost81, on Flickr

Back Painted by adfrost81, on Flickr

Front Angle Painted by adfrost81, on Flickr

Now if only they made a white LED backlit version, I'd never need another keyboard.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 23:27:14 »
I also didn't care for the glossy finish, so I did something about it....spray paint.

Nice work!

Offline wetto

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 23:31:13 »
I posted these months ago, I think in the Matias vendor forum, but here's my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88005189@N05/sets/72157631688113659/

One thing I will say about the keycaps is that they've shined up a ton. The lettering hasn't worn though...still as strong as when I got it.

Show Image

Full Keyboard Painted by adfrost81, on Flickr

Show Image

Back Painted by adfrost81, on Flickr

Show Image

Front Angle Painted by adfrost81, on Flickr

Now if only they made a white LED backlit version, I'd never need another keyboard.

Jesus, that thing looks damn sexy  :eek:

I'll mod mine ASAP, Jesus Christ...
My collection:
More

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 00:27:49 »
I also laugh at all the companies that have pulsating sleep indicators that have really unnatural, jerky rhythms, i.e. all of them. It should be a gentle, smooth curve.)

LED brightness increase non-linearly with current. It isn't as simple as you think. In the end, you have to tune it by eye, and hope your programs have fine grain enough control for adjustment.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:53:30 »
It's the 21st century. I don't accept excuses any more.
Bore Awards

Offline spoke_man

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 October 2023, 06:12:06 »

I know this is late to the party, but ... the paint job looks fab, did it work out durability-wise? If so, do you remember the details of how to do it? or if not, do you have ideas of what to do better? I'm finally just about to get a Quiet Pro for PC and I suspect I'll be distracted by all my fingerprints on that 'piano black'.

Offline Tribal

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 October 2023, 06:42:36 »

I know this is late to the party, but ... the paint job looks fab, did it work out durability-wise? If so, do you remember the details of how to do it? or if not, do you have ideas of what to do better? I'm finally just about to get a Quiet Pro for PC and I suspect I'll be distracted by all my fingerprints on that 'piano black'.

Asking how something held up is actually a really good reason to revive a necrothread.

I’m easily distractible and I don’t notice any smudges in normal use. 

Offline spoke_man

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 October 2023, 16:33:36 »
Yes, I thought it was good timing for that question. So the spray paint worked, do you remember how you did it - what paint? primer? surface prep? I've hardly painted a wall, never mind a plastic keyboard.

Asking how something held up is actually a really good reason to revive a necrothread.

Offline Tribal

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 07 October 2023, 19:33:21 »
Yes, I thought it was good timing for that question. So the spray paint worked, do you remember how you did it - what paint? primer? surface prep? I've hardly painted a wall, never mind a plastic keyboard.

Sorry; I wasn’t clear.  I’m not OP, but I do have a Mini Quiet Pro.

Offline spoke_man

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 03:28:58 »
Sorry; I wasn’t clear.  I’m not OP, but I do have a Mini Quiet Pro.

Ah, I thought furosuto81 had changed username. Your comment is still useful to me, it probably means the glossy finish is fine for most people. I probably was only made aware of the possible issue by one reviewer/commentator. Thanks for clarifying.