Author Topic: Worst Food  (Read 9234 times)

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: Worst Food
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:14:51 »

Everything is food. If it's on this Earth and won't kill you if you eat it, it's food to someone.

Trust me when you're lost out in a desert or jungle with no food for 3 weeks, the survivor standing next to you will suddenly look quite appetizing.

When it's cooked, stripped off the bone you can't tell the difference between pig meat or human (fact)  :thumb: .

So there should be no thread like this exist because when you're about to die, no foods are bad, arcording to your logic
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:44:45 »
The sight of this even makes me sick.  I don't think anybody thinks of it as "food" though, so I don't know if it even qualifies for this thread.

Show Image

I love McDonalds! They even have free wi-fi, so I can go on the Net with a different IP address when needed.

Free wi-fi is about the only reason (other than free use of toilet) to love McDonalds.

As for the stuff they serve you, look on the bright side. It's not fit for human consumption but it is genuine organic material. Sure beats eating melamine fried in recycled motor oil, which you get in some Chinese establishments.

BTW if you're in Asia, Kentucky Fried Chicken is the place to go if you need to go.

ps why do I have this nasty little feeling about your comment that you sometimes need to use a different IP address? You don't do shill bids on ebay, do you?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline dante

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:28:39 »
Hard Boiled Eggs: I'll eat eggs many different ways except this method.  Can't stand the smell or texture.  And yes, before you chime in with "deviled" I can't stand them that way either.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 21:43:32 »
So there should be no thread like this exist because when you're about to die, no foods are bad, arcording to your logic

Exactly.  Your survival instinct is such that you forget about morals and religious dogma when it comes to simply staying alive above all else.

It's nice in the western world to judge others for anything that is committed yet non have gone through those same circumstances.  There are places on earth that is extremely tough to survive off the landscape, simply because we never grew up in that environment. 

The indigenous populations have no fear of living off the land yet they too come across bad seasons where nothing is available to eat.  It's rare but it happens, yet there is no moral outrage in their societies for surviving by any means possible.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 22:00:28 »

Exactly.  Your survival instinct is such that you forget about morals and religious dogma when it comes to simply staying alive above all else.

It's nice in the western world to judge others for anything that is committed yet non have gone through those same circumstances.  There are places on earth that is extremely tough to survive off the landscape, simply because we never grew up in that environment. 

The indigenous populations have no fear of living off the land yet they too come across bad seasons where nothing is available to eat.  It's rare but it happens, yet there is no moral outrage in their societies for surviving by any means possible.

Nothing that has ever happened could've happened any other way..

This remark isn't to denounce free will or your choice for your future..  Merely to alleviate you from ever wasting time looking for scapegoats for which is all nicely summed up by -a force of nature-

Move on..

How interpersonal negotiations occur is separate from the eat or be eaten fact at our CORE..  Nothing will change that..   

The misplaced angst in judgement you speak of is the result of the imperfect communication capacity of individual humans..

That is not the result of a choice.. it is a feature..

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 12:49:27 »
Hard Boiled Eggs: I'll eat eggs many different ways except this method.  Can't stand the smell or texture.  And yes, before you chime in with "deviled" I can't stand them that way either.

You're weird. I love deviled eggs!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 05:30:45 »
Birds wrapped in seal skin left to ferment under rocks for 3 months or more, and then eaten raw. Yum.
I believe I saw a documentary on that too. The birds are puffin. Some indigenous people in the Arctic do that. Catch the birds in the summer, save them until winter, if I recall correctly.

Hard Boiled Eggs: I'll eat eggs many different ways except this method.  Can't stand the smell or texture.
Smell? ... Hard boiled eggs can be overcooked. I don't like boiled eggs either, except when chopped/mashed with chopped parsley and black pepper on a piece of toast.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 June 2014, 05:33:04 by Findecanor »

Offline iri

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 05:45:58 »
since there is no "surströmming" on this page: surströmming.

plus hákarl.

russia also contributes with karelia's lovely kevätkala.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 05:55:03 »
since there is no "surströmming" on this page: surströmming.

plus hákarl.

russia also contributes with karelia's lovely kevätkala.

Naader The Machine vs a full can of surströmming. For my bros over at WE  :) :

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:06:08 »
When I was in 7th grade, another student thought it was funny to bring a ripe can of Surströmming to school. It stunk up the whole school building ...

I am a vegetarian, so I have never tried it, but I have heard it tastes much better than it smells. If you ever get hold of a can, remember to open it under water and rinse the herrings before you eat them.
Herring in Sweden is served with potatoes (almond potatoes with surströmming), sourcream, dill, chopped chives (or red onion), butter, flatbread and of course lots of vodka. Don't drink milk -  surströmming will react badly with milk and upset your stomach.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 10:22:04 »
surstrømming is essentially chemical ****ing warfare
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 10:52:06 »
Call me weird but I would really like to try Surströmming.

It would have to be in the traditional way with the bread and the creme fraice (I don't think that's what it is), not like how the Americans in various youtube videos do it - just eating them straight out the can.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 01:27:37 »
When I was in 7th grade, another student thought it was funny to bring a ripe can of Surströmming to school. It stunk up the whole school building ...

I am a vegetarian, so I have never tried it, but I have heard it tastes much better than it smells. If you ever get hold of a can, remember to open it under water and rinse the herrings before you eat them.
Herring in Sweden is served with potatoes (almond potatoes with surströmming), sourcream, dill, chopped chives (or red onion), butter, flatbread and of course lots of vodka. Don't drink milk -  surströmming will react badly with milk and upset your stomach.

I wonder what's worse, stinky tofu or surstroemming.
I really detest stinky tofu.
That said, I eat durians, and durians are banned in many Singapore public buildings. Smell takes weeks to disperse, and for some reason, the molecules will decompose or something, ie the smell gets worse before it vanishes.

Swedish being a Germanic language, your o with two dots should be the same as the German umlaut making it oe, right?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:49:13 »
heard about that surstromming once on Discovery, they said its smell is so strong that it should be opened far from the house...

Although the way they make it looked a lot like what with the fish sauce (and others like shrimp, crab,... types) in Vietnam, that level of smell is so far the craziest :))
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:03:19 »
Any arachnid eaters around here?

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:55:23 »

Show Image

Spiders taste like crabs..

and Roaches taste like Lobster..

Scorpions...  I'm not sure... but i'd imagine, probably like crab..

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:56:59 »

Show Image

I see Sifo took a break from eating dogs.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:10:57 »
heard about that surstromming once on Discovery, they said its smell is so strong that it should be opened far from the house...

Although the way they make it looked a lot like what with the fish sauce (and others like shrimp, crab,... types) in Vietnam, that level of smell is so far the craziest :))
I shelled out around $20 just to get a can of surstromming from sweden (nowhere to get it here :p). It was one of the worst things I had ever smelled in my entire life, but suprisingly, the taste, while god awful, was not as gut-wrenchingly putrid as people would have you believe
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 14:10:34 »

I shelled out around $20 just to get a can of surstromming from sweden (nowhere to get it here :p). It was one of the worst things I had ever smelled in my entire life, but suprisingly, the taste, while god awful, was not as gut-wrenchingly putrid as people would have you believe

lots of things smell bad.. but taste ok..

the reason for that is...  Technically your tongue only does 5 things.  but there is a smell sensor on the back of your soft palate,   and in combination with "odor"  completes your sensation of food..

But you really only have 5 tastes on the tongue..

so if you mentally nullify  "smell"...  then ANY food will fall into  the 5 taste, and so.. can't possibly be "bad"..

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 14:45:07 »
Never eaten it, but my wife describes a Filippino delicacy known as 'balot' or 'balut' (pr. BAH-loot).

Balot

Quote from: wikipedia
A balut or balot is a developing duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos (khai look ໄຂ່ລູກ in Lao, Cambodia (pong tia koon ពងទាកូន in Cambodian)[1] and Vietnam (trứng vịt lộn or hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese). They are often served with beer.

(Attachment Link)

The Filipino and Malay word balut (balot) means "wrapped" – depending on pronunciation.

... no thank you. Unappetizing on a lot of levels.

I win.

/thread

I've had balot, can confirm it is horrendous.  My little duckling had embryonic feathers and felt like eating a bag of salty dirt in chicken broth.  I forget whether I got the yolk down or not.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 14:48:20 »
Never eaten it, but my wife describes a Filippino delicacy known as 'balot' or 'balut' (pr. BAH-loot).

Balot

Quote from: wikipedia
A balut or balot is a developing duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos (khai look ໄຂ່ລູກ in Lao, Cambodia (pong tia koon ពងទាកូន in Cambodian)[1] and Vietnam (trứng vịt lộn or hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese). They are often served with beer.

(Attachment Link)

The Filipino and Malay word balut (balot) means "wrapped" – depending on pronunciation.

... no thank you. Unappetizing on a lot of levels.

I win.

/thread

I've had balot, can confirm it is horrendous.  My little duckling had embryonic feathers and felt like eating a bag of salty dirt in chicken broth.  I forget whether I got the yolk down or not.

do they salt it in brine first,  or did you add the salt afterwards.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:35:51 »
My buddy says to pour a bunch of salt in the shell before you eat it. He's a white guy married to a girl from the Philippines. Watches foreign dudes try it all the time. Told him he should start a photostream of it lol.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:40:38 »
The sight of this even makes me sick.  I don't think anybody thinks of it as "food" though, so I don't know if it even qualifies for this thread.

Show Image

I had that for dinner tonight along with the new double jalapeno burger it was excellent.