Author Topic: progressive springs  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Jixr

progressive springs
« on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:04:40 »
Surely i'm not the first person to think of this, but does anyone know of anyone who's found a progressive spring to put in a switch?

basically start off as light as reds and then it feel more like blacks the further down you push, that would be a perfect switch spring for me.
in reds or blues that spring would be awesome.

ideas, comments, thoughts?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: progressive springs
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:07:19 »
Have you ever tried MY switches?

Offline Jixr

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:09:58 »
just to make myself clear

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:19:34 »
Hmm... Would stretching out a portion of a spring have the same effect?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:23:23 »
I think that almost everybody would like a spring that was soft at the top and stiff at the bottom.

There must be some realistic reason that it isn't feasible.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Jixr

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:32:52 »
i'm sure there are springs out there that would work, but you would just need to find them, and needing 80+ springs could be expensive. compared to standard springs which can be had for around $10

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:38:25 »
I think sourcing them, and making sure things are consistent is the hardest part.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:44:05 »
Ok, my Team Lead at work was a former Automotive industry mechanical engineer. They have lots of springs. I asked him why this wouldn't work. This post is about to get engineering-y.

It can be done, but not with the current constant spring diameter. Or in other words, this won't work:

Why? You have two springs in series which means the spring constant will even out. It won't have two separate feelings, it will just blend into one weight that we'll call XX g. You can see the equivalent spring rate formulas here.

Now what can be done is if you have a Topre like spring where the diameter of the spiral is variable (aka "beehive" spring). Like this picture from Baldux on DT:

Either that or make the actual gauge of the wire variable (thinner or thicker wire) could get you what you want. I bet that either the beehive or variable wire gauge springs aren't cheap and we'd have to figure out how to fit them in an MX switch without binding.

Hope this helps a little.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 October 2013, 18:24:17 by CPTBadAss »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 14:46:21 »
Even if dual stage isn't possible, I don't see why can't make custom spring like clear but say 25% lighter. I also would love such a spring.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 00:00:22 »
Dual stage is possible!

You can get springs in different lengths (perhaps cutting works as well)
Combined with...
You can interweave springs (putting one into another)
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 October 2013, 00:02:15 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 08:13:06 »

It would be awesome to have an extremely light spring that got very stiff immediately below the actuation point!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Jixr

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 09:02:37 »
Dual stage is possible!

You can get springs in different lengths (perhaps cutting works as well)
Combined with...

Yeah, that may work.
though cutting springs and everything would lead to many uneven key spring rates.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 09:09:26 »
Ok, my Team Lead at work was a former Automotive industry mechanical engineer. They have lots of springs. I asked him why this wouldn't work. This post is about to get engineering-y.

It can be done, but not with the current constant spring diameter. Or in other words, this won't work:

Show Image

Why? You have two springs in series which means the spring constant will even out. It won't have two separate feelings, it will just blend into one weight that we'll call XX g. You can see the equivalent spring rate formulas here.

Now what can be done is if you have a Topre like spring where the diameter of the spiral is variable (aka "beehive" spring). Like this picture from Baldux on DT:

Show Image

Either that or make the actual gauge change of the wire could get you what you want. I bet that either the beehive or variable wire gauge springs aren't cheap and we'd have to figure out how to fit them in an MX switch without binding.

Hope this helps a little.

See, this is why it's good to have a Mech E. around. :)

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 09:16:40 »
It would be awesome to have an extremely light spring that got very stiff immediately below the actuation point!
thats a simple matter of adding more turns per unit length to the spring. this way the spring becomes fully compressed sooner.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 18:41:06 »
don't OKI gourd springs already do this?

The tactile one does for sure (look at the force curve slope before and after the tactile / hysteresis point.
http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US4927990-2.png
I think the non tactile one might as well. Also, making the tactile bump in the wall larger will result in a sharp rise in the force required (so it's a stop point for like half the spring)

If you look at the force graph above and imagine the little bump that stops the spring  to go all the way to the keywell floor, the switch travel will effectively stop at  5(c) in the below image, making the spring rate change. You could balance the switch by having a single wide "hoop" instead of an eccentric spring with a single "notch" sticking out. The "hoop" could make contact with the entire keywell diameter and it should be very stable.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US4927990-3.png

So in short: this sort-of exists, and we can difinately make more with 3D printing and custom would springs. It woludn't be easy though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 18:46:10 »
Right so like I said, there'd have to be a variable diameter.