Author Topic: Wrapped and capped Das. First keyboard mods.  (Read 2964 times)

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
Wrapped and capped Das. First keyboard mods.
« on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:22:34 »
Hey GH, first time keyboard modder here. I've been into mechanical keyboards since early 2000's but never actually made one 'mine' if you will. I recently got a Das with blue switches from a coworker&friend but I couldn't stand the overly too shiny top plastic piece so I had to think of something to fix it.  :)

I bought some caps and vinyl from ebay and got to work quick.

I used some 3M 1080 Military Green vinyl and some PBT side printed caps. I think it came out pretty good, but my photography skills aren't the greatest.

and of course, the full keyboard in all of its grainy and poor lighting glory.

There are some imperfections in the vinyl, but I think it is a huge improvement. The military look I was going for came out great.

Offline PointyFox

Re: Wrapped and capped Das. First keyboard mods.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:24:36 »
Nice, those are like near-god-tier caps.  How did you end up with a white caps lock though?

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:42:42 »
That's a very good way of avoiding the fingerprint magnet the case usually is.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 21:11:07 »
Sweet!!!

I'm surprised we don't more of these wraps since it can produce a fairly durable finish in pretty much any colors we can think of... Including metallic.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 21:20:13 »
Definitely one of the better vinyl wrap jobs I've seen (but fix that bubble near pause if you can).  It looks way better than the stock Das case and way better than the carbon fiber Di-Noc wrapped cases I've seen.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:56:56 »
I've tried to fix the bubble over there but it just keeps coming back. Thank for the compliment on the vinyl wrap, it was my first time attempting it. There are a few other bad spots(mostly around the corners) but next time I think I could fix most of them.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 18:47:34 »
Once you get really good at it you might want to post in Classified and offer wrapping services.  :p
I've tried to fix the bubble over there but it just keeps coming back. Thank for the compliment on the vinyl wrap, it was my first time attempting it. There are a few other bad spots(mostly around the corners) but next time I think I could fix most of them.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 18:50:58 »
military green/OD green is the best green.

good job!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:46:19 »
Once you get really good at it you might want to post in Classified and offer wrapping services.  :p

First customer?  ;D