Author Topic: [CM Storm] Mechanical Key Switch Tester Now Available for Pre-Order  (Read 38535 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [CM Storm] Mechanical Key Switch Tester Now Available for Pre-Order
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 22:09:37 »
Got mine to sadly the white doesn't click!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 22:10:26 »
Are you talking about the Clear? :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 22:11:33 »
Are you talking about the Clear? :)

Doh! I thought it was white.....I'm such a noob....I didn't pop the cap off..

Offline tbc

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 22:23:12 »
can you actually visually tell a clear and a white apart?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline IMHB

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 22:26:59 »

yes you can, clear is translucent and white is fully opaque white. It's fairly easy to tell.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 22:29:17 »
Got mine today.  What did you guys use to get the top off?  I kinda scratched up my credit card and it still didn't open.  I notice that the green switch on this feels lighter than on the QFR with greens I bought then returned.  I didn't like the one I returned because I thought those green switches were too heavy but I do like this one.  It feels just a little stiffer than the blue which is nice.  Could there be a difference between this green spring and the springs in the first batch of QFRs with greens?  I might have to try greens again. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 22:39:43 »

yes you can, clear is translucent and white is fully opaque white. It's fairly easy to tell.

Clicky switches also have raised tiny pillars/nubs on the stems.  Nonclicky ones don't.   Here's a photo of MX White from Querkeys:

Blues and Greens have those too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 23:39:29 by Photoelectric »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 23:34:40 »
Mine was waiting for me when I got home from work. I already took it apart, as well. :)

Woot!

Good thing, too. I was about to rage kill a NIB QFR, just on principle.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 06:42:01 »
Disassembled

Very cool.

Can anyone comment on whether you can swap the individual switch out.

If it is possible, I might get another one and try to find the other uncommon switches like grey, white, etc and have a complete tester kit.

Thanks
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 06:57:45 »
Seems like the red and black on this thing feel the same....weird.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 08:22:41 »
Press slowly!  Red is definitely lighter.  Also interesting how similar Brown and Clear feel.  I used to use Browns for quite a while and now use Clears, and when actually using them on whole boards, they feel quite different.  But as individual switches next to each other, they feel remarkably similar, with Clear being the tougher one.  Pressing each switch slowly helps.  Not that we ever do that while typing.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 08:44:59 »
Press slowly!  Red is definitely lighter.  Also interesting how similar Brown and Clear feel.  I used to use Browns for quite a while and now use Clears, and when actually using them on whole boards, they feel quite different.  But as individual switches next to each other, they feel remarkably similar, with Clear being the tougher one.  Pressing each switch slowly helps.  Not that we ever do that while typing.

Yeah the tester is cool and all but I hope nobody decides to go buy a keyboard because of it.....I suppose the blues feel about the same compared to a full size board but that's about it.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 08:50:36 »
Yeah the tester is cool and all but I hope nobody decides to go buy a keyboard because of it....

Seriously. All these testers are by no means a way to feel out what you will actually like/use on an actual board. Like you said, perhaps you can get a slight idea about the sound of a blue switch click... that is it.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 09:12:40 »
You still get an idea based on comparisons with switches you're familiar with.  Say you've used Blues before--now you can get some idea what Browns are like vs. Blues. etc.  But it's true, typing on a full keyboard of switches quickly is not going to be the same. A lot of the switch nuances blend together at high WPM.

Offline osi

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 09:28:23 »
Received mine as well. Looks good on my desk!

Offline piglickjf

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 09:36:26 »
Yeah the tester is cool and all but I hope nobody decides to go buy a keyboard because of it....

Seriously. All these testers are by no means a way to feel out what you will actually like/use on an actual board. Like you said, perhaps you can get a slight idea about the sound of a blue switch click... that is it.

While I'm sure that's true, it's about the best some of us can hope for. I've felt blues and browns briefly in Best Buy on a Razer and Logitech they had set up on display, and browns on the Quickfire Ultimate I bought (and used for about a week but didn't like, though not because of the switches), but I have no other way of testing out an entire keyboard of other switch types. So while this tester may not be perfect, it's definitely a lot better than trying to interpret other people's written descriptions of how a switch feels and making a decision based only on that.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 10:02:35 »
 Id say that this tester is really all i need for mx switches. blues and greens are exactly as obnoxious as I remembered/imagined. Whats suprising to me though is how much I dislike clears, browns and by extension any other color with a bump. They feel like broken switches to me. They make my fingers sad.

"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline piglickjf

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 10:12:55 »
I do wish they had whites on it, but considering the seeming scarcity of those switches I suppose I can understand why they don't.

I agree with you on the blues/greens kolonel - I like the "snappiness" of them, but the click would just annoy the hell out of me. I do like the browns/clears better than the linears, though. Maybe it's just too many years spent on rubber domes, but I like some sort of feedback.

That's why I'm interested in whites - it seems like they might be closer to the snappiness of blues/greens, but without the click.

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:03:11 »
Just an FYI, this is now available for pre-order in Europe :)

http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboards/mechanical-key-switch-tester/
Cooler Master USA - CM Storm Marketing Team - [CM Storm Trigger CherryMX Green Switch]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 15:09:17 »
Just an FYI, this is now available for pre-order in Europe :)

http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboards/mechanical-key-switch-tester/

But still not Australia :(

I've arranged mine via a proxy anyway :)

A shame these are not programmable, with a small PCB and USB cable to configure 6 favourite functions (kinda like i3oiler's new business card).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 16:21:12 »
A shame these are not programmable, with a small PCB and USB cable to configure 6 favourite functions (kinda like i3oiler's new business card).

its not such a big deal to add a teensy. I prefer it this way as it leaves more programming options. plus its hella easy to swap the switches as it sits now.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 21:14:45 »
I do agree that it can only give a rough idea. I have the keycool mx-blue numpad, and even that doesn't give a good idea of what it actually feels to type on a full board.

its not such a big deal to add a teensy. I prefer it this way as it leaves more programming options. plus its hella easy to swap the switches as it sits now.

Care to explain how to swap the individual switch? From the picture it wasn't clear. It wasn't solder to anything it seems but how does each of them stay in place?

Thanks
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 21:35:43 »

0.o do you really need those extra keys?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 21:38:49 »
I do agree that it can only give a rough idea. I have the keycool mx-blue numpad, and even that doesn't give a good idea of what it actually feels to type on a full board.

Care to explain how to swap the individual switch? From the picture it wasn't clear. It wasn't solder to anything it seems but how does each of them stay in place?

Thanks

I didn't open mine up but I'm assuming they are just stuck in a plate...so just pop them out from the bottom.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 23:51:11 »
You can pull the switches w/o opening it. Push the small tabs on top & bottom of the switch w/ a small screwdriver into the switch (helps if you have a loose switch to see what I mean ;)) -- they pop right out.

The main problem w/ adding a Teensy is finding a place to stash it w/o messing w/ the standoffs too much. I think I found a place, the next problem will be to cut the hole for the USB connector. I'll post some pics if I get it to work.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2013, 23:55:19 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 23:59:20 »
You can pull the switches w/o opening it. Push the small tabs on top & bottom of the switch w/ a small screwdriver into the switch (helps if you have a loose switch to see what I mean ;)) -- they pop right out.

The main problem w/ adding a Teensy is finding a place to stash it w/o messing w/ the standoffs too much. I think I found a place, the next problem will be to cut the hole for the USB connector. I'll post some pics if I get it to work.

This could get very intresting!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Grendel

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 17:11:20 »
Stuck at home due to snow -- my soldering stuff is at work :( Since I'm bored I took a picture of how I think the Teensy will go in there:

Advantage is that everything is together on the same part, makes testing and taking it apart a breeze. The hole for the USB connector on the lower half of the shell will be easy to add, the one one the upper half will be a PITA. The only other modification necessary is shortening the standoff that interferes w/ the Teensy, should be easy to do w/ a large drill since it's hollow.

And yes, those wires are LED's, same as in the testing rig I posted a pic of a little while ago :)

- I'm game !

Offline Grendel

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 00:25:00 »
Almost there:

- I'm game !

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 00:47:07 »

Offline tbc

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 01:40:02 »
just got this.  quite neat.  I just realized the ordering technique they used for placing the switches.

also got reminded how great cm does their blue.  it's really different than Ducky's style.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Grendel

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 01:48:03 »
is it possible to use http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=52 instead of teensy?

No, that seems to be just a breakout board for USB signals (something that could be used to "fix" a USB connector ripped off a controller board.) However, any controller sporting at least 5 available I/O lines (to read the switches) could be used. I use the Teensy because I had one laying around :) Advantage is that each switch can have its own dedicated input and you can hook up 6 LEDs in addition (even high speed PWM driven for brightness control.)
- I'm game !

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 02:43:34 »
Almost there:

Show Image
Show Image

Not many people like those Deck keycaps, but they look great on there!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 07:03:56 »
Almost there:

Show Image
Show Image

Not many people like those Deck keycaps, but they look great on there!

Yes that's the best use of them I've seen yet!!

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 22:37:29 »
is it possible to use http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=52 instead of teensy?

No, that seems to be just a breakout board for USB signals (something that could be used to "fix" a USB connector ripped off a controller board.) However, any controller sporting at least 5 available I/O lines (to read the switches) could be used. I use the Teensy because I had one laying around :) Advantage is that each switch can have its own dedicated input and you can hook up 6 LEDs in addition (even high speed PWM driven for brightness control.)

aww. Don't want to spend $20 on a teensy. Are there other things like a teensy that would work?

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 00:30:14 »
aww. Don't want to spend $20 on a teensy. Are there other things like a teensy that would work?
yes, but they wont be any cheaper or easier. cheapest option would be to buy the chip, some decoupling caps, and a crystal. wire it up deadbug style.

Ive decided that if I do this, Im going to make it wireless. atmega328p-pu + nrf24whatever in the tester and the teensy+nrf24 connected up to the pc. its too bad all my 3.3v regulators are frikken huge.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 00:40:33 »
Almost there:

Show Image
Show Image

the skull and crossbones are made by deck???

Offline Grendel

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 03:37:32 »
Yea, each board they sold came w/ one.
- I'm game !

Offline Grendel

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 12:47:05 »
Hm, envisioning a PCB...
- I'm game !

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 18:40:03 »
in da mail.

@CM - CM Paypal proxy asked for Paypal UN and PW then when I hit the paypal site and I'm asked again for UN and PW???
Are you fishing for Paypal credientials?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Grendel

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 00:24:11 »
Just for the record, final version w/ different caps and the case in place:

- I'm game !

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 01:15:30 »
Anyone know how to get the $15 off after buying one of these?

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 01:35:43 »
Theres a 15$ off?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 01:42:35 »
Just for the record, final version w/ different caps and the case in place:

Show Image

Fantastic!  Well done :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 02:00:01 »
Theres a 15$ off?

These were advertised as costing $15 but that by purchasing one you also get $15 off a cooler master board purchased from their website.....just not sure how to get the discount.