Author Topic: GEEKHACKERS JOINS FORCES WITH ORIGINATIVE  (Read 13954 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
GEEKHACKERS JOINS FORCES WITH ORIGINATIVE
« on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:23:07 »
Folks,

Vending the lube alone wasn't making sense for me for a myriad of reasons, so, like robotron, I've attached a new robo-component to help me get people krytox as quickly and as optimally as possible.

To this end, Geeckers has joined forces with Originative at http://www.originativeco.com to offer lube kits tailored specifically to their switch, spring and sticker lineup.

I thought long and hard about how to vend lube in a friendlier way with a MUCH smaller effort needed on the part of the customer without affecting the cost and this is what i've come up with:

the following page offers the lube kits i've prepared for originative. there are two options:

http://www.originativeco.com/collections/kbd-accessories-1/products/lube-kit

KRYTOX ONE KEYBOARD THICK FORMULA contains just an itty bit more PREMIXED lube in a NO-LEAK dispenser than you need for a single keyboard. this mix is tailored towards switches with MORE resistance and tactile switches. applied correctly, it can smooth the down and upstroke WITHOUT disturbing the clickiness or tactile bump of the switch.

KRYTOX ONE KEYBOARD THIN FORMULA contains just an itty bit more PREMIXED lube in a NO-LEAK dispenser than you need for a single keyboard. this mix is tailored towards LINEAR switches, regardless of resistance. this mix is for people who value switch smoothness above all else. it can also be used VERY CAREFULLY on tactile switches, but it the lube is allowed to reach the clicky part of the switch, it can and will remove the clickiness or tactile bump of the switch.

both products are available for ordering and shipping RIGHT NOW from originativeco at http://www.originativeco.com/collections/kbd-accessories-1/products/lube-kit

they will also soon be available as part of BYOKBD kits from originative for 3S and lubing your switches in one step.
GEECKERS THANKS ORIGINATIVE FOR VENDING THESE PRODUCTS, which will be exclusive to originativeco.

GEEKHACKERS x ORIGINATIVE for krytox lube kits for your keyboard. one vendor, one purchase, one keyboard. GH x OG!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:38:57 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: GEEKHACKERS JOINS FORCES WITH ORIGINATIVE
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:27:33 »
like robotron, I've attached a new robo-component

Yo they form like Voltron and the mkawa happen to be the head.

Congrats ming on that collabo <3

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:28:19 »
Which is recommenced for topre switches?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:33:14 »
F*CK YES

FINALLY

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:37:21 »
thick. definitely thick. i'm actually a huge fan of thick with topre.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:42:37 »
Congratulations mkawa, GH and Originative!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:43:56 »
thick. definitely thick. i'm actually a huge fan of thick with topre.

Now I'm thinking I just need to get this for my HHKB.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:52:05 »
FWIW I used a pretty thin formula and just applied a tiny bit to the stem sliders on some lubed ergo clears (brown springs) and the feel amazing with no stickyness on the upstroke and thin pbt caps.  Space bar is a regular clear but I still need to lube the stabs.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:53:55 »
with topre the trick is actually that you want to help seal the elastomer under the slider and the slider to slider retainer, so you want to apply a thick layer, but exactly at the slider junction. any thick formula of krytox has the general property that it stays where you put it, whereas any thin formula moves around to provide lubridicity _everywhere_

that's why i generally recommend thick for tactile switches and thin for linears. with tactile switches you have to control where the lube goes, so stay thick. with linears you want to smooth down all the friction surfaces, so thin is the way to go.

of course, you can always "mix it up" so to speak. if you like like 80-100g springs and linear stems you might want thick lube to smooth the action but keep the force vs displacement graph at about the same manitude.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:56:25 »
Where can we get 100g springs :eek:

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:57:43 »
Great match, best of luck Originative

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:00:11 »
clears are 80g+

one can also wind ones own springs with a simple cylinder and the appropriate wire.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:26:12 »
I was looking into lubing Topre switches and using one of these mixtures to do it. I was told by Bro to "Use a mixture of 205 grease and maybe 103 GPL, 50/50 mix.". I'm not sure which which mix would be best for Topre, any suggestions?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:29:29 »
thick mix for topre, period.

thin mix will basically do nothing to a topre board. i've played around with some switches and krytox and only thick mixes have any effect at all, much less any positive effect. however, well applied, a thick mix is really really nice feeling on a topre 55g

Offline Sniping

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:32:43 »
What separates a good application of lube from bad ones?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:52:46 »
Nice. That's very smart of you to team up with Originative to provide geekhackers with a source we can rely on. I already have some from a GB some time ago, but this would be the place to get refills!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 22:12:50 »

Topre is perfect as is.  Heathen.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 22:19:19 »
What separates a good application of lube from bad ones?
"too much" is the most common mistake. the lubridicity of even the "thick" mix is _extremely_ high, very possibly the highest of any polymer lubricant i've ever used. when you apply the lube you aren't just slathering it all over the switch, you are thinking about the action of the switch, and the parts of the switch that are in contact with each other and how you want to change the current feel and how you _don't_ want to change the current feel. for example, if you apply too much lube to the front side of the slider of a tactile switch, you're very likely to lose most of the tactility, whether you're applying thin or thick mix. this is just because that little tactile bump relied on friction and you just lowered the coefficient of friction so much that you may never feel it again, even after a couple million cycles of the switch. to solve this, i apply lube to the housing of tactile switches and not the slider, and only a very small amount of thick mix to the two wobble-pillars and the rear of the housing. this is just enough lube in the right places to decrease the "noise" in the actual measured graph of force vs displacement (if we had a nice device to measure this yet -- we don't), but not so much that the tactile switch loses its click or bump.

another example is tossing a bunch of lube into the bottom of the housing or slathering the spring. the spring is only in contact with a very small part of the slider and doesn't really affect the feel of the switch much _unless_ you cover it with fluid and dampen the spring with that fluid. you will completely change the feel of the switch for better or worse depending on what your goals are. if you don't like the hysteresis of MX switches, an application like that is going to make the hysteresis completely insane, so that would be a really bad application.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 22:20:03 »

pfft. if this was true they wouldn't apply ****ty silicone lube to realforces that migrates and then all your keys clack and you're like :|

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 22:22:50 »

pfft. if this was true they wouldn't apply ****ty silicone lube to realforces that migrates and then all your keys clack and you're like :|
'

LIES!  You're just trying to deceive the new converts and unbelievers.  Topre is perfect as is.  Any modification is heresy to the greatness that is cupped rubber.

I'm hoping people realize that this is satire and not my actual feelings and beliefs.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 22:25:11 »
yah, the silicone lube they use really does migrate. it's incredibly annoying

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:47:57 »
Will originative have PS2 to USB connectors?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:54:41 »
they could! that said, if you need some right now, PM me your order and we'll do it the old fashioned way.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:57:46 »
they could! that said, if you need some right now, PM me your order and we'll do it the old fashioned way.

Will it ship through you or sherry? I'd like to save on shipping if all possible.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:00:26 »
it'll ship through me, but the shipping cost will be trivial. also i will actually be IN san diego on friday

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:02:24 »
my personal opinion is, if you can join forces with them to produce really cheap (and good quality) PBT doubleshots, now that is something truly awesome that will appeal to everyone!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:03:08 »
unfortunately, i have to break your bubble on this one. physically impossible to do cheap high quality PBT anything, must less doubleshots

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:06:55 »
it'll ship through me, but the shipping cost will be trivial. also i will actually be IN san diego on friday

Ooooohh nice. Too bad I have a math competition that day so I can see the great mkawa  :'(

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:36:25 »
you'll get it faster via usps anyway. just PM me your order.

Offline gruener_Salat

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:50:20 »
Good news! I think I'm gonna order a set or two along with a set of springs.

BTW: kawa, do you still sell Kester 44? Pretty hard to get the 63/37 here in Germany.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:54:19 »
Yay! Love Originative.
Off topic: So what proportions of krytox oil:grease is considered thick/thin? How should I be mixing the stuff I got in the lube kit?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 14:04:44 »
yes, the soldering equipment revamp announcement is coming quite soon

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 14:06:18 »
i mix thick and thin to taste ;)

seriously though, i just mix until it has the consistency i want for the application. i've developed kind of a zen relationship with krytox. it's weird.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 14:13:17 »
GH <3 OG = TRUE

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 20:29:42 »
damn this is some good news GH x OG so sick
congrats mkawa and to sherry =)
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 07:14:13 »
Hell, when I say cheap, I'm not expecting prices at ABS level. I'm just hoping somebody will make PBT doubleshots much cheaper than a Deck keyboard, heh.

unfortunately, i have to break your bubble on this one. physically impossible to do cheap high quality PBT anything, must less doubleshots
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 07:23:46 »
Hell, when I say cheap, I'm not expecting prices at ABS level. I'm just hoping somebody will make PBT doubleshots much cheaper than a Deck keyboard, heh.

What about the vortex PBT doubleshots??

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 08:47:06 »

Vortex =/= high quality
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 08:55:30 »

Vortex =/= high quality

Ah ok  ???

Offline Comment

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 14:49:13 »
Joins Forces! ....everything good out of stock..
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 14:54:26 »

Well you had like 2 months to order the lube kits, I ordered a couple of sets last week.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Comment

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 15:08:40 »

Well you had like 2 months to order the lube kits, I ordered a couple of sets last week.

Only the Thin has been available for a while now and the springs/Dolch kit I've been stalking haven't been stocked in quite some time.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 17:36:48 »
i do. pm away.

Offline Comment

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 22:25:31 »
i do. pm away.
You have what I'm looking for? Or am I taking this out of context

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 12:44:57 »
i have the droids you are looking for. PM me

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 13:05:52 »
someone neglected to tell me that the thick kits were out of stock. lead time on more thick kits is a couple days. they will come back into stock next week however.

i also have a new product: very thick kits. there will be an added cost to this formulation, but the formulation is designed for topre 55g uniform, and those who feel like clears are too light ;)

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 13:24:20 »
someone neglected to tell me that the thick kits were out of stock. lead time on more thick kits is a couple days. they will come back into stock next week however.

i also have a new product: very thick kits. there will be an added cost to this formulation, but the formulation is designed for topre 55g uniform, and those who feel like clears are too light ;)

Wow! Fancy!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 09:45:53 »

:o

wow...do want

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:54:37 »

yayyy  :thumb:  ;D wooooo!!

Offline Proc31

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:24:50 »

Have the thick kits come in yet? The stock on the website has yet to update and I'm eager to purchase.