Author Topic: Cherry G80-11900 NIB for 29 shipped CONUS!  (Read 5927 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Cherry G80-11900 NIB for 29 shipped CONUS!
« on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 22:53:57 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHERRY-G80-11900-TOUCHBOARD-KEYBOARD-WITH-MOUSE-PAD-NIB-/121218732150?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item1c39331076

The only negative thing should be that the keycaps are lasered.

But hey, NIB, come on man guys. That's like 3.5 new Cherry browns switches for $1 each. (Check with seller if these are browns, but they usually are.)

-=-=

CORRECTION, thanks jdcarpe

I already have a 80-11900 that is brown, and one that is black. Not buying anymore; glad to hear I posted a useful link!
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 00:01:03 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Cherry G80-11900 NIB for 29 shipped CONUS!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 23:01:37 »
G80-11900 have MX Black.

Thanks for the link! Bought one (another). :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 23:07:10 »
Better than the other thread about used ones of these, which totaled $40 for me.

14 left, hope there's more by the end of the week

EDIT: Ordered, seemed like they will sell out before then, going to mod with clears.

EDIT 2: GOD DAM U WALLETHACK! my paypal is sooooo empty now, and also the bank account. AGH
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 23:41:18 by Pacifist »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 06:51:13 »
I posted in the other thread but I like the box on that one much better than the box mine came in. Although my board seems to be in new condition also.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 09:55:33 »
They raised the price to $40 shipped

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:01:00 »
They raised the price to $40 shipped

Yeah I saw that too, still a great deal for how easy they are to mod.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:16:49 »
Anybody know if its USB or PS2?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:18:09 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:19:33 »

PS/2

Show Image

Thank you, saw that picture but because I'm not too familiar with old keyboards, I wasn't sure if there was a USB connection somewhere. Looks like I'll be getting two of mkawa's PS2 to USB connectors. Just another step into the rabbit hole of wallethack.... :'(

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:23:58 »

PS/2

Show Image

Hi jdcarpe,

Do you know the year this keyboard was manufactured?
Is there any chance it has Vintage Cherry MX Black?
Please share if you know any information.

Thanks
I like linear switches

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:25:22 »

PS/2

Show Image

Hi jdcarpe,

Thanks

They're not vintage. The 11900's aren't
but for $30 its a really good deal for NIB

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:26:25 »

PS/2

Show Image

Hi jdcarpe,

Thanks

These look to be fairly recent, especially from the Windows logo on the box. No chance of vintage Blacks here. But modern Blacks are still good! :)

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:38:28 »
These look to be fairly recent, especially from the Windows logo on the box. No chance of vintage Blacks here. But modern Blacks are still good! :)

Thank you both Pacifist and jdcarpe for your quick reply.

Do you think modern Blacks have different quality between batches/OEM/raw material/equipment?
Will Cherry Mx Black switches from an original Cherry G80-11900 have better quality than from a keyboard manufactured by a less famous supplier?
I like linear switches

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:40:04 »
Cherry ML

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:54:22 »
G84-4100 have Cherry ML. It's actually a fun little short-throw tactile switch, almost like an MX Brown. Those 4100's are nice little boards. :)

Sun Type 4B keyboards usually have regular rubber domes, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: A quick check of the DT Wiki shows that Sun Type 4 had Keytronic Foam and Foil Linear switches, but this is a 4B...

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:58:13 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 10:58:02 »
AFAIK, Sun keyboards always are rubber dome or some other cheap, non-mechanical mechanism.  I could be wrong, but all the ones I've seen aren't mechs.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:57:21 »
Thank you, saw that picture but because I'm not too familiar with old keyboards, I wasn't sure if there was a USB connection somewhere. Looks like I'll be getting two of mkawa's PS2 to USB connectors. Just another step into the rabbit hole of wallethack.... :'(
The ID Innovations USB adapters that mkawa sells support both KB and mouse. You can get an adapter to convert both the PS/2 plugs into one and plug it in to a single adapter, which should work, though I haven't tried it yet myself. it will save you some money.

AFAIK, Sun keyboards always are rubber dome or some other cheap, non-mechanical mechanism.  I could be wrong, but all the ones I've seen aren't mechs.
One of the two sun type 1 keyboards was microswitch (hall effect), but any sun KB earlier than a type 4 are very uncommon to find. Type 1's are mainly all in museums now.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:58:16 »
One of the two sun type 1 keyboards was microswitch (hall effect)

As you can tell, I am but a flawed man.  Thanks for enlightening me regarding that.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 13:12:50 »
One of the two sun type 1 keyboards was microswitch (hall effect)

As you can tell, I am but a flawed man.  Thanks for enlightening me regarding that.

I only learned recently myself
The sun 1 keytronic version might be keytronic's reed switches (based on age) but I have not been able to find much info on this KB at all.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 18:25:47 »
The ID Innovations USB adapters that mkawa sells support both KB and mouse. You can get an adapter to convert both the PS/2 plugs into one and plug it in to a single adapter, which should work, though I haven't tried it yet myself. it will save you some money.

One of the two sun type 1 keyboards was microswitch (hall effect), but any sun KB earlier than a type 4 are very uncommon to find. Type 1's are mainly all in museums now.

Is it possible to open it up and put in a USB instead of PS2 port, and if I do that, will both the keyboard and trackpad work through the one USB?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 18:34:47 »

Is it possible to open it up and put in a USB instead of PS2 port, and if I do that, will both the keyboard and trackpad work through the one USB?

I don't own one, but I doubt the controller supports both USB and PS2.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 18:36:15 »

Glod was able to do it. He bought one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-B-5pin-Male-to-Female-extension-adapter-cable-/270930517122?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item3f14b79c82

and then cut off the male part, cut the PS2 cable inside the case, and soldered them together

EDIT: DOESN'T WORK FOR THIS BOARD
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 19:44:14 by Pacifist »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 16:18:05 »
Well got mine today, its pretty sweet.

I suggest buying this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Belkin-F5U119E-PS2-to-USB-Adapter-Converter-Keyboard-Mouse-Barcode-Scanner-/270962163563

if you want to use it with USB instead of PS2

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 00:45:20 »
Ugh... I missed these.  I recently bought an extremely used and dirty one for $40.  I'm typing on it now after an hour of cleaning the cat hair/vomit out of it.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:43:51 »

I suggest buying this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Belkin-F5U119E-PS2-to-USB-Adapter-Converter-Keyboard-Mouse-Barcode-Scanner-/270962163563

Hi Pacifist,

Would you please upload some pictures. ;D

Thanks
I like linear switches

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:51:14 »
just my contribution

I own an old version of this board, and these ones may also be new old stock. In that case, it is very unlikely that you can change it to USB just like that. I tried already.

Glod was able to do it. He bought one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-B-5pin-Male-to-Female-extension-adapter-cable-/270930517122?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item3f14b79c82

and then cut off the male part, cut the PS2 cable inside the case, and soldered them together

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:54:36 »
just my contribution
I own an old version of this board, and these ones may also be new old stock. In that case, it is very unlikely that you can change it to USB just like that. I tried already.

You deserve to receive a lot of credit by posting this on great finds.
I can see all of them were sold in just a few days.
Keep it up man  :thumb:
I like linear switches

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 11:10:56 »
just my contribution

yes, check the edit at the bottom

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 11:22:01 »

Hi Pacifist,

Thanks

Cherry G80-11900 NIB

Packaging:

Looks like this seller uses the same fancy packaging that some $200 model m used

There's the box!

So NIB

So pretty  :-*

Everything in the box

PCB mounted blacks, what seems like PBT caps

Birth Certificate

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 01:07:13 »

Hi Pacifist,

Thanks

Cherry G80-11900 NIB

Packaging:
Show Image

Looks like this seller uses the same fancy packaging that some $200 model m used

There's the box!
Show Image

So NIB
Show Image

So pretty  :-*
Show Image

Everything in the box
Show Image

PCB mounted blacks, what seems like PBT caps
Show Image

Birth Certificate
Show Image

Wow, it has a very good packaging.
Thank you very much for your sharing  :thumb:
I like linear switches

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 01:10:10 »

You're welcome!

Also for other people who got the board, are the keycaps supposed to be beige colored or have the keycaps yellowed?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 02:21:41 »
that looks like the right color. it's not pure white; it's more like beige. besides these should be pbt so yellowing isn't an issue.

You're welcome!

Also for other people who got the board, are the keycaps supposed to be beige colored or have the keycaps yellowed?