Author Topic: Hey all, Im cub3y!  (Read 1756 times)

Offline cub3y

Hey all, Im cub3y!
« on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 01:56:51 »
Hi all!

I'm cub3y, long time lurker here at geek hack. Always wanted to own a mechanical keyboard, but options were always limited in my country on a student budget!

A little bit about me:
I am 24 years old, from New Zealand and I am a programmer by profession. I work with the amazing crew at 3months.com, using Ruby on Rails as my preferred web framework (if your a rubyist, drop me a line! @nzcub3y - always keen to have discussions with other devs)

Now that I am no longer a poor student, I have plunged into the mechanical keyboard world rather head on. WARNING long story about how in the space of a week lurking on geek hack has influenced me to spend $430nzd on keyboards:

My keyboard journey leading to now:
I have owned many 'good' keyboards from cheap dells to expensive logitech gaming keyboards. Lately I've been using an Apple full-sized aluminium keyboard, which has been seriously hurting my hands (seriously Apple, wtf were you thinking!?)

Last weekend I went to a big Lan party and I noticed there were 5 people all in a row using what looked like IBM Model M keyboards. I have actually wanted one of these for ages. So naturally I went upto them and asked where they got them from + most importantly do they have any spare for sale. Turns out one of the guys had saved a whole bootload of them from being trashed at a local school. He had since given many away to his friends and sold a few online. BUT he had a few left! I asked him how much he would sell one to me for and he said $20nzd! SOOOO CHEAP, I bought it off him the next day at the lan (he had to get one from home) and proceeded to clean it for over an hour and use it for the rest of the lan.

That was a week ago, and since then ive been using it every night at home (wayyyy to loud for work). This is where it started... for the next few days I was lurking on geek hack checking out different threads figuring out which keyboard would be the perfect deck for work.

A few days ago I found a second hand Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry MX Brown switches for $110nzd (really cheap!), which is perfect for office use (not to loud, still got that tactile 'bump', none of the 'click').

While that was being shipped, I found massdrop.com and signed up after reading about group buys on here. The next day the ErgoDox full kit group buy came up and In a moment of madness, I ordered the kit with cherry mx clears and DSA blank keycaps.

I received my Filco tonight (typing on it now) and its PERFECT. My first MX experience and I feel like a giddy kid. I cant wait for my ErgoDox to arrive!

TL;DR I got my very first IBM Model M bucking spring keyboard, fell in love, bought a Filco Majestouch 2 online and while waiting for shipping bought into the massdrop for ErgoDox full kit.

I think my wallet is going to hate me, but Im really excited to join such an enthusiastic community for a tool I use every day!

- cub3y

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2013, 02:11:43 by cub3y »
Leopold FC 660M w/browns + red o-rings (work daily), Poker II w/blues + blue o-rings (home daily), Leopold FC 660M w/blacks, ErgoDox w/clears, Keycool 84 w/reds

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Re: Hey all, Im cub3y!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 01:58:59 »
Excellent first post. Welcome to the community!
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline cub3y

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 02:13:05 »
Excellent first post. Welcome to the community!

Thank you :-) Now I just need to flesh out my profile.. Looking a bit bear.
Leopold FC 660M w/browns + red o-rings (work daily), Poker II w/blues + blue o-rings (home daily), Leopold FC 660M w/blacks, ErgoDox w/clears, Keycool 84 w/reds

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 02:23:11 »
Welcome mate, hope got have some good times here. Try b not to get too poor :))
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline cub3y

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 02:29:06 »

Cheers Tym. Dw Ill just have to add some "fixed expenditure" to my finance plan to cover new hobby haha.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 02:30:00 »

Ill just have to add some "fixed expenditure" to my finance plan to cover new hobby haha.

This almost never works haha.

Good luck!

Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)