Author Topic: SIP sockets for faster removal of LEDs  (Read 75416 times)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
SIP sockets for faster removal of LEDs
« on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:20:41 »
Here is another one of my guides to something which I thought was quite obvious but which I receive a lot of questions about. Using SIP sockets in Cherry MX switches which allows you to exchange the LEDs much faster without desoldering.

End result:

Required parts:
Cherry MX switch, the MX lock is unsuitable unfortunately. I might make another guide for how to install LEDs to make the LED legs centered though.
LED, 2x3x4mm is suitable. If you get a round 3mm one, get one without the flange and preferably with a flat top)
SIP sockets, they usually come in arrays with a certain pitch where you snap off the number you need.

SIP socket:
It is basically a socket which allows you to push in pins from another component into the top holes with no soldering required. The SIP socket itself is of course soldered in place.

SIP socket installed:
You will need to install it inside the switch with its legs where the LED's legs would otherwise have been. The fitting is very tight so you need to be careful when you cut them into pairs to ensure that they will fit and allow the switch housing to be fully closed.

Closed Switch:

And when you push a LED into the socket you will end up with something like this:

Replacing the LED once this is done is possible when the switch is installed in a plate and soldered to a PCB. Remember to also solder SIP sockets to the location of the resistors, or put some switches there, to allow you to quickly change the resistance to match the LEDs. Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: SIP sockets for faster removal of LEDs
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:25:57 »
Where to get these magical SIP sockets?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:29:45 »
damorgue, this is brilliant. :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:32:32 »
damorgue, this is brilliant. :thumb:

Qft. Excellent!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:34:52 »
Where to get these magical SIP sockets?

Your local electronics store, or Ebay. I think I got mine from Ebay and they are like a few cents each at the most, shipping inclided, at least when you buy a few.

Edit: I am unsure how many changes the SIP sockets are rated for. That might be of interest to some of the crazier people around here who switch things around frequently but I don't think any of us are close to that rating anyway to be honest.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:36:42 by damorgue »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:37:38 »
This is an awesome idea. I will most likely do this with my upcoming build(s).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:40:17 »
I didn't mention one thing about the sockets for the resistors. These sockets are a bit tall and once you push a resistor in, it might protrude too far from the PCB and might not fit in the case. I simply bent the legs of the SIP socket and press the resistor in sideways. The socket are roughly the same height as a small resistor when they are flush against the PCB.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:42:50 »
So this is what I'd want right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-40-Pin-DIP-SIP-IC-Sockets-Adaptor-Solder-Type-USA-SELLER-Free-Shipping-/22118604294

That link is weird for me. Get SIP, not DIP. I think DIP are 'dual' and have two rows and you don't want that.

Edit: It appears a few sellers use both DIP and SIP interchangeably but make sure that you get a single row of sockets, something like this. That link is for 200 of them which should be enough for 100 LEDs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:46:16 by damorgue »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:44:07 »
Very neat idea "Paranoid" has a thread with similar mod Ducky Shine II TKL mod (Plate, switch, solderless LED, caps, ...
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 December 2013, 10:35:08 by MJ45 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 11:47:47 »
So this is what I'd want right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-40-Pin-DIP-SIP-IC-Sockets-Adaptor-Solder-Type-USA-SELLER-Free-Shipping-/22118604294

That link is weird for me. Get SIP, not DIP. I think DIP are 'dual' and have two rows and you don't want that.

Edit: It appears a few sellers use both DIP and SIP interchangeably but make sure that you get a single row of sockets, something like this. That link is for 200 of them which should be enough for 100 LEDs.

Yeah that was the link I had just cut off the last number oops :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-40-Pin-DIP-SIP-IC-Sockets-Adaptor-Solder-Type-USA-SELLER-Free-Shipping-/221186042943

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 00:25:52 »
Got a bunch of these in the mail today, thanks to Paranoid's suggestion.  Plan to do the same :thumb:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33130.msg1142265#msg1142265
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 02:25:09 »
Nice damorgue :) I tried a different approach by cutting it all up and only using the metal pins. I found that using the plastic doesn't allow me to close the switch fully, which is annoying when you want to switch keycaps. You risk pulling the top half of the switch off if you have a plate where you can open the switches. But I'm guessing the way you did it takes a lot less time positioning wise, but probably more cutting wise to make everything fit nicely.

For detailed steps on my approach you can see it here. Look for the MORE button where the pins are placed for more detailed pictures:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50784.msg1112489#msg1112489

And where I got the initial idea and where I bought them under this "more" button:
More
About the LED pins, I originally had the inspiration from an article on KBDMania. I only found the article again after I already did the mod  :thumb:
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mid=best_article&document_srl=6246034&6246034_cpage=1

This guy tried different approaches to use these female headers. I also tried different things but figured I didn't want to do the effort of chamfering all of them precisely so I just cut them open completely and used only the pins. I did this for a whole keyboard as well, took me quite some time.

You can find em very cheap on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Pcs-Single-Row-40Pin-2-54mm-Round-Female-Pin-Header-/140910386490?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:BE:3160

But be advised, you have to be mentally prepared to do this for a whole keyboard   :cool:

You can see how I did it for a Ducky Shine II TKL here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50784.0

And on the 3700 here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50768.0

If you don't like me putting this here or consider it threadcapping of some sorts, just let me know and I'll get rid of it ;) Just wanted to share this to give everyone options :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 02:30:01 »
MOAR keyboard science! Now I have to do this mod!

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 03:06:55 »
Many thanks for this Damorgue, I ran into these sockets a while ago and meant to chase them up for just this purpose, saved me a search :)
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 03:21:16 »
Yup, the top ones will definitely work since these are the ones I ordered ^^ the bottom ones will work just as fine :)

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 03:30:35 »
Thanks heaps! !!

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 03:37:25 »
Great work :D Gonna try this when I build my next board
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 07:07:15 »
Just got some of these in as well!!

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 08:23:23 »
I don't know for sure, but there might be some tiny variance between different manufacturers in dimensions which usually don't matter for the applications where they are normally used. If they are a fraction of a mm wider it won't matter in most cases but in our case it might make it very tight. If it requires too much force to push in, I would clip it a little so that you don't damage the switch housing.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 08:27:21 »
Whoa, what a fun idea. We can swap LEDs to match keycap sets! :D

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:31:12 »
Whoa, what a fun idea. We can swap LEDs to match keycap sets! :D

Building backlit keyboards for sale would also be much easier.  The customer can pick whatever color leds they want (assuming the resistors are correct).  I am going to put resistors for white/blue/green/etc on my boards and just not use red leds (cause they all seem to be different from what i can tell).  This is an awesome idea though.  I have ~400 in the mail to me.  :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:32:40 »
swill you miss my point. I swap caps on my keyboards probably every month or two. When I swap caps, I can swap out LEDs too. So like magneta for Miami or red for Klaxon and blue for Raindrop :P.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:49:23 »
swill you miss my point. I swap caps on my keyboards probably every month or two. When I swap caps, I can swap out LEDs too. So like magneta for Miami or red for Klaxon and blue for Raindrop :P.

Yes for sure.  :)  It is a pretty cool feature...

Offline elton5354

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 16:29:40 »
Thanks for sharing.  Bought a bunch :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 20:56:08 »
how much did you shave down the sockets? can you give more pics?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 05:19:28 »
They have to be clipped down the middle between them when you separate them. When you clip the row into pairs, if there is more plastic on one side, you have to remove the excess.

I also found the LEDs to be easier to install if I clipped one side of the upper end a little, as seen here. If someone finds slightly versions with slightly smaller plastic casings then please post them. I wonder if it might be easier to just break off the plastic altogether since all it does is keeping them at a fixed distance. If one puts a led in before soldering, the distance between them is also ensured so the plastic isn't very necessary in our case.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 07:09:16 »
how much did you shave down the sockets? can you give more pics?

Also see paranoids post above he used these also

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51792.msg1142798#msg1142798

Offline mousesony

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 11:36:53 »
I'm confused about how you setup the resistors. I wish there was a picture.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 12:32:17 »
Can someone post a picture of the underside of a switch and the underside of a PCB with these installed?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 12:38:19 »
They should look the same as normal LEDs on the under-side of the swtich housing and the PCB.  I have these housings.  It's just 2 pins that get inserted into the LED holes--only they terminate in empty housings instead of the LED.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 15:39:32 »
I'm confused about how you setup the resistors. I wish there was a picture.
If you just solder these on the PCB and then push the resistor into them, it will add a few mm which might cause conflicts with various cases. The ones in the switches will not conflict with cases of course, but the resistor ones might. I bent the legs of the socket to make the socket lie sideways, flat onto the PCB. The resistor is then pushed into the socket along the PCB. The only reason to do that is to make it less tall.

Edit: If you often switch between two colours often, then soldering two different resistors with a switch might be easier.

Offline mousesony

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 19:35:01 »
Ok thanks. Thats what I was imagining.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 19:38:11 »
Edit: If you often switch between two colours often, then soldering two different resistors with a switch might be easier.

I can't get a visual on this.  How would you solder two different resistors with a switch on the back of the board?  I am guessing you would be doing that for every mx switch?

Offline Mine

About SIP sockets for faster removal of LEDs
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 23:41:15 »

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 01:33:54 »

I can't get a visual on this.  How would you solder two different resistors with a switch on the back of the board?  I am guessing you would be doing that for every mx switch?

I have never done this for a full board. It would be quite cumbersome if you have individual resistors for every LED on the board. In my case of only LEDs on the lock keys, I simply put two resistors in parallel with a switch (by swtich, I do NOT mean MX switch but a toggling one which you can select which LED to use), eg: epic paint btw I realise now that when I wrote switch earlier that might have been interpreted as the MX switch which really hasn't much to do with the LED circuit.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: About SIP sockets for faster removal of LEDs
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 09:51:59 »
Seems like a lot of work....but thanks for the info

Offline mousesony

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 12:40:59 »
What are the dangers of mismatching leds and resistors? I'm not really sure how resistors work, but I just got my sockets in the mail and I tested out all the leds I have on my leopold keypads num lock. My white, blue and green leds seemed to be exceedingly bright while the red, yellow and orange ones seemed to be on the normal/ dim side. I'm planning to use about 100 of these white leds on a kmac... I don't know what resistors the keyboard is going to come pre-soldered with but I'm assuming the white leds will be bright on that as well. I'm hoping that the only risk is that the leds could burn out fast.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 15:08:48 »
I got 360 SIP sockets last night (christmas eve), so I figured I would test them out.  I tried just cutting them into two unit pieces to start with.  The housing is a little too big, so the switch top does not go back on easily so you need to remove some of the plastic on the SIP socket.  I tried doing that, but it was just too finicky for me.  I was going to drive myself nuts trying to 'shave' the tiny parts.

Instead, I decided to remove the housing completely.  I started doing this with a knife, but it was taking too long, so I tried a pair of end cutters.  Those worked awesome.  I was able to do 360 sockets in less than an hour.  I even made a little video for you guys.  Sorry about the potato focus.   :)

Note: When removing the whole housing, you will need to put an LED in the sockets when you solder them on the PCB so the pins line up correctly...

Trick: Only clip half the housing.  This stops the plastic piece to go flying and will usually loosen the socket so it easily comes out...

Hope this helps others...

49037-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2013, 21:20:50 by swill »

Offline justnits

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 22:01:26 »
i was wondering if the led will be jiggly or loose enough to fall off if you overturn the keyboard after doing this mod.
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 22:09:35 »
i was wondering if the led will be jiggly or loose enough to fall off if you overturn the keyboard after doing this mod.

The LED is very much in there.  You pretty much have to use a pair of pliers to get the led out (cause you can't get a hold of it and it is tight), so I would not be worried about that at all.

Offline justnits

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 04:34:36 »

The LED is very much in there.  You pretty much have to use a pair of pliers to get the led out (cause you can't get a hold of it and it is tight), so I would not be worried about that at all.

awesome possum! :thumb:
thanks swill
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 18:05:09 »
I just tried an entire keyboard for a friend and can confirm that it is easier to clip them completely. There is no hassle with getting an exact cut and less concentration is needed.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 19:55:05 »
I just tried an entire keyboard for a friend and can confirm that it is easier to clip them completely. There is no hassle with getting an exact cut and less concentration is needed.
Show Image

tips on keeping them in correctly while soldering?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 19:58:21 »
Show Image

It has already been mentioned, but  simply put a LED in, or anything with the correct pitch really. Using the LED which you will be using later on is convenient as you ensure that it will work.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 20:12:28 »
Show Image

It has already been mentioned, but  simply put a LED in, or anything with the correct pitch really. Using the LED which you will be using later on is convenient as you ensure that it will work.

thanks. thats genious

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 21:09:51 »
Just for a reference for people.  Here is a switch with SIP sockets which have had the entire housing removed and an LED in place so it is ready to solder...

49732-0 49734-1

Edit: I did not check if the LED was in the correct orientation, it was just to illustrate the previous point...

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 21:11:36 »
Just for a reference for people.  Here is a switch with SIP sockets which have had the entire housing removed and an LED in place so it is ready to solder...

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Edit: I did not check if the LED was in the correct orientation, it was just to illustrate the previous point...

what board is that? looks sexy