Author Topic: fake clack discussion  (Read 374181 times)

Offline Aidenknives

Re: fake clack discussion
« Reply #1000 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 16:31:51 »
You guys do know they will all sell today right? Between Reddit and the awareness being spread about them in general...

Guess not

yeah, guess not many other people care about clickclacks outside of geekhack
The amount sold is double digits if that means anything to you..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1001 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 16:34:15 »
2/3 sold out in under 2 hours, and the 3rd color is sold out now.

In both MX and Topre.

CC knows, he's just INCREDIBLY busy right now. He'll get to it when he gets to it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1002 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 16:40:11 »

In both MX and Topre.

CC knows, he's just INCREDIBLY busy right now. He'll get to it when he gets to it.
Get to what?

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #1003 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 16:47:03 »

and how many people are on r/MK ?

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1004 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 16:48:42 »

and how many people are on r/MK ?
What does that have to do with anything? Here - http://i.imgur.com/gBanli8.png

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1005 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 16:54:35 »

In both MX and Topre.

Get to what?

Some analysis:

The site is built with wordpress with some kind of shopping addon theme, and the entire site's URL structures follows the so called RESTful API structure. basically means that the urls are "pretty" and so can be "guessed", so you can access pages directly through url if you guessed it correctly(this is not "safe" but makes developing for mobile and web browser at the same time easier because both platforms can essentially just make the same API requests.), for example if you want to access their shop just do baseurl/shop, the url structure behaves very good and it is very easy to guess what pages should have what url.

I think the fake clack maker is not very good with computer so they chose some wordpress shopping theme that could not handle time sensitive sales. For example just by guessing the URL, some users were able to access some restricted pages that should not have been turned on to begin with.

I did some digging through the URL structure, even before the sale, it was apparent that some users realized that they could access pages that's not supposed to be turned on: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2ev30u/upcoming_keycap_sale/ck3y5i3

But the most interesting part of the website is the "news" sectioned. It is completely native wordpress. You can even register with the wordpress blog backend. Meaning that the fake clack makers either are amateurs or rushed their website job, that they forgot to turn off wordpress's native registration... If you've used wordpress extensively before, you know this means that you might be able to see the backend of the website... So I registered an account and what do I see? Their complete shop statistics on how many purchases there were.

SO, if you are wondering how much this did sell? Go to their news section and register an account with them.
For science. I'm not going to list the exact numbers, go see for yourself. But the number of orders and the total sales(dollar amount I assume) checks out to be about 2 fake clacks per order on average.

haha, yes I noticed that too..  One could say.. Boot linux.. annnd run WPScan.. orrr you know..  ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 16:56:07 by dustinhxc »

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1006 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:00:27 »

In both MX and Topre.

Get to what?

Show Image

Some analysis:

The site is built with wordpress with some kind of shopping addon theme, and the entire site's URL structures follows the so called RESTful API structure. basically means that the urls are "pretty" and so can be "guessed", so you can access pages directly through url if you guessed it correctly(this is not "safe" but makes developing for mobile and web browser at the same time easier because both platforms can essentially just make the same API requests.), for example if you want to access their shop just do baseurl/shop, the url structure behaves very good and it is very easy to guess what pages should have what url.

I think the fake clack maker is not very good with computer so they chose some wordpress shopping theme that could not handle time sensitive sales. For example just by guessing the URL, some users were able to access some restricted pages that should not have been turned on to begin with.

I did some digging through the URL structure, even before the sale, it was apparent that some users realized that they could access pages that's not supposed to be turned on: http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2ev30u/upcoming_keycap_sale/ck3y5i3

But the most interesting part of the website is the "news" sectioned. It is completely native wordpress. You can even register with the wordpress blog backend. Meaning that the fake clack makers either are amateurs or rushed their website job, that they forgot to turn off wordpress's native registration... If you've used wordpress extensively before, you know this means that you might be able to see the backend of the website... So I registered an account and what do I see? Their complete shop statistics on how many purchases there were.

SO, if you are wondering how much this did sell? Go to their news section and register an account with them.
For science. I'm not going to list the exact numbers, go see for yourself. But the number of orders and the total sales(dollar amount I assume) checks out to be about 2 fake clacks per order on average.

haha, yes I noticed that too..  One could say.. Boot linux.. annnd run WPScan.. orrr you know..  ;)
Lol nothing will happen.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1007 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:04:08 »

In both MX and Topre.

Get to what?

Show Image

Some analysis:

Lol nothing will happen.

Awe dang really?  ^-^  I didnt think he was that secure. But I dont know much about that.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1008 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:07:36 »
Said it before and I will say it again. The caps themselves don't claim to be anything they aren't. They are obviously Clack knock offs. There are knock offs of everything with value in this world. The problem comes when a PERSON tries to sell them for prices correlating to the inflated value of the AUTHENTIC item. CF can't actually do anything other than spread awareness.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #1009 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:10:12 »
I pinged his site.

It didn't do very much.

Unfortunately thats my limit as a hacker  :))
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1010 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:11:42 »
Said it before and I will say it again. The caps themselves don't claim to be anything they aren't. They are obviously Clack knock offs. There are knock offs of everything with value in this world. The problem comes when a PERSON tries to sell them for prices correlating to the inflated value of the AUTHENTIC item. CF can't actually do anything other than spread awareness.

This would be a very bad scenario for sure.

I pinged his site.

It didn't do very much.

Cool, good shot mate!  :thumb:

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1011 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:12:32 »
I pinged his site.

It didn't do very much.

People actually trying to hack his site? With what to gain?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #1012 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:17:34 »
T'is a joke.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1013 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:17:57 »
T'is a joke.
I kind of meant like what if they were lol.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1014 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:23:15 »
T'is a joke.

Id put a Rick Rolld video.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1015 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:24:07 »
T'is a joke.

Id put a Rick Rolld video.
Not just any rick roll... A 10 hour long rick roll

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1016 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:25:40 »

Except it is his IP, his copyrighted material.  He has every right to assert his IP since counterfeits devalue his brand.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:36:41 by nubbinator »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1017 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:35:21 »

Except it is his IP, his copyrighted material.  He has every right to asset his IP since counterfeits devalue his brand.

And if he doesn't defend it, he can lose it.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1018 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:35:35 »

Except it is his IP, his copyrighted material.  He has every right to asset his IP since counterfeits devalue his brand.
I don't think anyone sees that happening... People are paying out the ass for clacks and unless everyone decides they finally don't give a **** about novelty keycaps, it will probably stay that way.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1019 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:38:15 »

I don't think anyone sees that happening... People are paying out the ass for clacks and unless everyone decides they finally don't give a **** about novelty keycaps, it will probably stay that way.

I still fail to see how that's a justification for counterfeiting.  If you want to make some money on caps, don't be an ******* and counterfeit someone else's work, make your own designs to sell.  End of story. 

I really don't get how you can keep defending and justifying counterfeiting.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1020 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 17:40:48 »

I still fail to see how that's a justification for counterfeiting.  If you want to make some money on caps, don't be an ******* and counterfeit someone else's work, make your own designs to sell.  End of story. 

I really don't get how you can keep defending and justifying counterfeiting.
Not defending. If you were more incisive you could see that I am facing the reality that it's not going anywhere.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1021 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 18:15:33 »
some real commie **** going down
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #1022 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 18:31:59 »
Maybe Click Clack should do a basic mass produced version, that everybody can get.

Then continue with his limited editions from time to time.

Like what Nike does with it's Air Force one sneakers.
You can get a regular white AF1 anytime you want, but the limited edition ones are hard to get.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1023 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 18:37:44 »
considering the man barely has enough time to make what he does now, I doubt that'll happen

good idea tho
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #1024 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 18:42:55 »
Maybe Click Clack should do a basic mass produced version, that everybody can get.

Then continue with his limited editions from time to time.

Like what Nike does with it's Air Force one sneakers.
You can get a regular white AF1 anytime you want, but the limited edition ones are hard to get.
This would be the most effective way to get rid of copycats. But yeah don't think we are gonna be that lucky.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #1025 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 18:56:30 »
considering the man barely has enough time to make what he does now, I doubt that'll happen

good idea tho

Collaborate with someone who has the means to make a mass produced version? Maybe another cap maker? crossovers? clacks X brobots?  :eek:

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #1026 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 19:36:34 »

good idea tho

Collaborate with someone who has the means to make a mass produced version? Maybe another cap maker? crossovers? clacks X brobots?  :eek:

What if CC made miniature clacks?  Then everybody could have like 10, instead of 1.  Like mini-donuts.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1027 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 19:40:35 »

good idea tho

What if CC made miniature clacks?  Then everybody could have like 10, instead of 1.  Like mini-donuts.

Then I could have Clacks on Clacks on Stacks. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1028 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 20:10:38 »

good idea tho

Someone would have to start making miniature keyboards for them to go on.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1029 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 21:10:08 »

good idea tho

Someone would have to start making miniature keyboards for them to go on.

good idea tho

good idea tho

Then I could have Clacks on Clacks on Stacks. 

hahahaha

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #1030 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 08:20:24 »
So looks like the fake ones didn't properly copy the bottoms. I copied my bottom from time to time in grade school. The Sunday school teachers went crazy. Kindof like everyone is going crazy now. It's amazing how things come full circle. ;-)
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #1031 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 08:56:14 »

Like this by bunnylake but smaller?

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #1032 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 17:23:49 »
So looks like the fake ones didn't properly copy the bottoms. I copied my bottom from time to time in grade school. The Sunday school teachers went crazy. Kindof like everyone is going crazy now. It's amazing how things come full circle. ;-)

It's not that he didn't properly copy the bottom, it's that he's not selling them as fake Click Clacks... but a ripoff... if that makes any sense. Him not copying the bottom was conscious decision.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #1033 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 17:37:16 »

It's not that he didn't properly copy the bottom, it's that he's not selling them as fake Click Clacks... but a ripoff... if that makes any sense. Him not copying the bottom was conscious decision.

I dont believe for a minute that the altered bottoms were the only ones released. Who knows how many unaltered bottoms he released before pulling this stunt. Remember that "genuine" clack with just the eyes painted that was in classifieds recently? Heres a photo before a huge chunk of resin was removed off the front. Atleast CC has perfected his materials and colors, these fakes will stick out like a sore thumb.

sell out and eat ass

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1034 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:17:40 »
Do you have more information on that cap Hipster?  You've really piqued my curiosity now.  If that one is a fake, it means that fakes could have been being made for longer than we thought.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #1035 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:30:45 »

I dont believe for a minute that the altered bottoms were the only ones released. Who knows how many unaltered bottoms he released before pulling this stunt. Remember that "genuine" clack with just the eyes painted that was in classifieds recently? Heres a photo before a huge chunk of resin was removed off the front. Atleast CC has perfected his materials and colors, these fakes will stick out like a sore thumb.

Show Image

Wasn't that just marker in the eyes? The resin on the front looks like it could have been scraped on something as well, like a hang nail.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1036 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:32:43 »

Show Image

Maybe thats his fake oktoberfest too.. I hope for the love of god he doesnt copy candy corns.. >.< The one cap I get that I know is real.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #1037 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:37:32 »

Show Image

Wasn't that just marker in the eyes? The resin on the front looks like it could have been scraped on something as well, like a hang nail.

I thought this was just a badly abused hardcore white?

And it was scraped against something rough like Dustin's sidewalk, haha.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk.   *shudder*

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #1038 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:38:20 »

Show Image

Haha Dustin was distracted by that sexy lady again!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1039 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:46:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

:)) Oh man.. Yall make me want to bring my Tekmat outside! hehe  :p

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #1040 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:47:29 »

Show Image

Show Image

:)) Oh man.. Yall make me want to bring my Tekmat outside! hehe  :p

Lol. When I'm home I'll take some cringeworthy cap shots :D

Offline Belfong

« Reply #1041 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:31:19 »
Scary thoughts. I hope what hipster said is not true. I begin to wonder how genuine my collection is!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1042 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:34:06 »
If you think 100% accurate clones don't exist, I've got bad news for you.

It's almost impossible that anyone here owns one though. Less than 5 were made, and I think they were all thrown out.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1043 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:45:41 »
If you think 100% accurate clones don't exist, I've got bad news for you.

It's almost impossible that anyone here owns one though. Less than 5 were made, and I think they were all thrown out.

Clack was sent all of them right? Except the ones on kbdmania

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1044 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:46:30 »
these are different

but CC was sent all of drugER's yes

i really can't say much, i don't know much more than what i posted

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1045 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:57:05 »
I find it hard to believe drugER would have produced only 5 "proper clones" ...  :-\

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1046 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 19:58:24 »
not drugER

im still investigating

so keep it cool for now

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1047 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 22:26:27 »
not drugER

im still investigating

so keep it cool for now

TS is on the case.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing