Author Topic: [IC]the anti-spacesaver.  (Read 5304 times)

Offline aj-kun

[IC]the anti-spacesaver.
« on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 11:57:18 »
Throwing out an idea in there air.
What if we designed & made a PLASTIC keyboard chassis that was BIG to match the plasticness of shiny SA & DSA keys.
In the Style of the lower symbolics keyboard.

It would go against the grain of aluminum TKL's.
I personally would love something that massive to put Round 5 keys on or even a replica of this. (I may be alone here haha)

And ask SP to mold it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [IC]the anti-spacesaver.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:01:33 »
I think it would probably cost a lot more than expected...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:04:35 »
I actually dont know this so I'm curious. Does SP have any kind of keyboard case molds? Or the ability to make those molds? If this or a future case project happens, would we have to fund that mold? I thought they just made keycaps.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:08:39 »
Interesting idea.  Personally I wouldn't be interested because I just think sleek aluminum, acrylic, etc is just better looking and more practical.

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:10:57 »
I think it would probably cost a lot more than expected...
If clack factory made it. :3 >$1500 resale value. jk 2000

It would probably be expensive, but there's nothing like it in our community right now other than Apple M0110 rebuilds.

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:20:05 »
I actually dont know this so I'm curious. Does SP have any kind of keyboard case molds? Or the ability to make those molds? If this or a future case project happens, would we have to fund that mold? I thought they just made keycaps.
YUP
http://www.solutionsinplastic.com/enclosures.html

Interesting idea.  Personally I wouldn't be interested because I just think sleek aluminum, acrylic, etc is just better looking and more practical.
The concept isn't a practical but neither is having copper/steel weights machined and then placed into the bottom of your heavy TKL for additional weights. Lower center of gravity right? ;)
Aesthetics themselves would suit those who want the opposite of a 60% keyboard tray.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:21:51 »
One of the things I actually enjoy about the retro-themed keysets is the juxtaposition of putting them in minimal aluminum cases.

That said, if something like this came up, I would probably be unable to resist.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:22:56 »
YUP

Ha! That's cool. Thanks for sharing that ^__^.

I think this might be a fun idea. A Space Cadet keyboard replica would be cool but that layout in the OP looks cool. Definitely good as a work keyboard for me hehehe. And I love spherical caps :D.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:25:09 »
nermind stupid internet being super slow today
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:26:41 by SpAmRaY »

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:31:12 »
YUP

I think this might be a fun idea. A Space Cadet keyboard replica would be cool but that layout in the OP looks cool. Definitely good as a work keyboard for me hehehe. And I love spherical caps :D.

I'd be leaning towards a winkeyless MX-MINI layout or winkeyless MX-MINI with a 10x spacebar and no right ctrl or alt (anyone use them?)

And not having to fill gaps between key rows with plastic would simplify it a bit.

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2013, 12:32:47 by aj-kun »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:12:22 »
The concept isn't a practical but neither is having copper/steel weights machined and then placed into the bottom of your heavy TKL for additional weights. Lower center of gravity right? ;)
Aesthetics themselves would suit those who want the opposite of a 60% keyboard tray.
Depends on who you ask.  Makes your kb feel more solid, slides around less on your desk.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:18:32 »
Some old giant keyboards had metal cases too you know. Make one, but out of thick steel painted beige.

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:45:15 »
Depends on who you ask.  Makes your kb feel more solid, slides around less on your desk.
so solid that it dents on the first drop xD
Some old giant keyboards had metal cases too you know. Make one, but out of thick steel painted beige.
Good idea.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 17:03:17 »
I would like to see something like this:

47587-0

I don't know on which board I saw something like this, I think it was over at DT or one of the Korean forums...

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 17:52:02 »
YUP

I'd be leaning towards a winkeyless MX-MINI layout or winkeyless MX-MINI with a 10x spacebar and no right ctrl or alt (anyone use them?)

And not having to fill gaps between key rows with plastic would simplify it a bit.

If you really want to go minimalistic on the bottom row with no blank spots Ivan has mentioned an elusive 15x space bar.  I have yet to see a pic of one but I would probably be in the realm of clack prices to own one in cherry mounts
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich