Author Topic: Keycaps for CM Storm QuickFire TK Cherry MX Brown (ISO-edition)  (Read 20259 times)

Offline TheHardkaare

Keycaps for CM Storm QuickFire TK Cherry MX Brown (ISO-edition)
« on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 12:57:39 »
Hey guys.
I am thinking of redesigning the layout on my QuickFire TK (ISO-edition).
I was wondering if I somehow could use WASD-keyboards' customizer to be able to make my keyboard the way I want?
First of all, is it even possible for me to buy the 105-keycap set customized, and they all fit my QF-TK?
Also, would I be able to just choose it like this:
http://i.imgur.com/cY1vWGw.png
I know it all depends on how I want my layout to be, but I'd like to know if it's even possible, and which I have to make what color, to make sure that I get the layout I want.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Keycaps for CM Storm QuickFire TK Cherry MX Brown (ISO-edition)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 13:49:35 »
Mostly you could do that, but WASD don't carry bottom row 1.5 size needed for Ctrl keys, and no one aftermarket anywhere has the odd custom spacebar size this keyboard use.

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 13:52:05 »
Mostly you could do that, but WASD don't carry bottom row 1.5 size needed for Ctrl keys, and no one aftermarket anywhere has the odd custom spacebar size this keyboard use.
Are you saying I can't get a spacebar for this keyboard? :s

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 13:57:00 »
That's right. It uses a non standard size spacebar that is not presently available anywhere. Other standard size may fit, but there will be small gap on each side.

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 14:00:19 »
That's right. It uses a non standard size spacebar that is not presently available anywhere. Other standard size may fit, but there will be small gap on each side.
Well ****. What does other people do? I believe I've seen others with a good looking spacebar?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 11:20:45 »
Well ****. What does other people do? I believe I've seen others with a good looking spacebar?

Corsair uses the same size spacebar, 6.5x, so you can do what I did and cannibalize the nice, textured spacebar they use, but otherwise even SP doesn't carry that size.
Every other key should fit; I use the TK and getting a replacement set was no issue. The only problem is the bottom row, haha.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:16:25 »

Corsair uses the same size spacebar, 6.5x, so you can do what I did and cannibalize the nice, textured spacebar they use, but otherwise even SP doesn't carry that size.
Every other key should fit; I use the TK and getting a replacement set was no issue. The only problem is the bottom row, haha.

By cannibalize, you mean paint it myself? Also, is the whole bottom row difficult to find keys for?
And if I may ask politely, can I see your keyboard?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 December 2013, 01:18:35 by TheHardkaare »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 17:18:36 »

By cannibalize, you mean paint it myself? Also, is the whole bottom row difficult to find keys for?

Just meant that it'd be a nicer spacebar, it's textured and made of a nice material. Most sets will have a few matching keys, but not all, on the bottom row. Here's a picture of mine.

Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 08:04:02 »

Just meant that it'd be a nicer spacebar, it's textured and made of a nice material. Most sets will have a few matching keys, but not all, on the bottom row. Here's a picture of mine.

Show Image

So you actually found a spacebar that fits fairly well?
Also, are you then unable to swap out the remaining "normal" keys?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 11:08:16 »
If you get keycap from Cherry/GMK or Signature Plastics you can replace every key but the spacebar. There are also a couple very limited choice that have all the correct keysizes even the spacebar now from Max.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 12:19:10 »
So you actually found a spacebar that fits fairly well?
Also, are you then unable to swap out the remaining "normal" keys?

Note that I used an 84-key set, like the ones on the mini Keycool keyboards, and not an 87-key TKL set. The only spacebar that fit it was the Corsair 6.5x, which as you can see on the link IvanIvanovich posted, has the same as the TK.

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 08:38:40 »
If you get keycap from Cherry/GMK or Signature Plastics you can replace every key but the spacebar. There are also a couple very limited choice that have all the correct keysizes even the spacebar now from Max.

Will I be able to order a kit, so everything but the spacebar fits, even with my Danish Layout?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 12:25:52 »
Danish Cherry will be super difficult to source (except perhaps lasered) but you could get lucky. There have been a very few SP sets with additional language add ons done which may be possible to get a hold of like those of round4 or maybe round5 but I think it's closed?

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:27:38 »
Danish Cherry will be super difficult to source (except perhaps lasered) but you could get lucky. There have been a very few SP sets with additional language add ons done which may be possible to get a hold of like those of round4 or maybe round5 but I think it's closed?

Even if I just want plain keys, with no letters or numbers on?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:31:35 »

If you want blank keys, you can get those with absolute ease. Those wouldn't be Danish, they'd just be ISO like any other keyboard.

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:46:37 »

If you want blank keys, you can get those with absolute ease. Those wouldn't be Danish, they'd just be ISO like any other keyboard.

That's what I was thinking, since it seems much easier, and I also like that look. The question is if I have to buy 2 or 3 different sets/packages, since I have QuickFire TK, which in itself is complicated, but it is also ISO layout?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:52:50 »

That's what I was thinking, since it seems much easier, and I also like that look. The question is if I have to buy 2 or 3 different sets/packages, since I have QuickFire TK, which in itself is complicated, but it is also ISO layout?

You shouldn't have to get more than one. The normal, non-bottom row keycaps are all the same, so one set would cover you for that without a problem, and you'll get a few matching bottom-low keys, so don't worry about that. If you want the extra keys you could buy everything but the spacebar from Signature Plastics. I suggest to just get a 104-key set to cover the numpad, and then forget about the extra few bottom-row keys unless you really don't like them.

Offline TheHardkaare

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:23:11 »

You shouldn't have to get more than one. The normal, non-bottom row keycaps are all the same, so one set would cover you for that without a problem, and you'll get a few matching bottom-low keys, so don't worry about that. If you want the extra keys you could buy everything but the spacebar from Signature Plastics. I suggest to just get a 104-key set to cover the numpad, and then forget about the extra few bottom-row keys unless you really don't like them.

If I want this layout http://i.imgur.com/cY1vWGw.png - I'd have to buy 2 sets, right? :-)