Author Topic: Blank or Printed?  (Read 10968 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Blank or Printed?
« on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:22:40 »
I would like to hear people's opinions on this topic. If it has already been done please link me to the original threads.

My question is whether or not to buy blank or printed caps. I've done some AHK keymaps, most notably caps as ctrl, where you cannot merely swap the keys and they work. I am working on touch typing, so this may be a bit minor.
However, I plan to learn dvorak or colemak later. When I do so, is it better to go with blanks or qwerty printed caps? I won't be looking at the keyboard much when that happens.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
Re: Blank or Printed?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:31:17 »
I would like to hear people's opinions on this topic. If it has already been done please link me to the original threads.

My question is whether or not to buy blank or printed caps. I've done some AHK keymaps, most notably caps as ctrl, where you cannot merely swap the keys and they work. I am working on touch typing, so this may be a bit minor.
However, I plan to learn dvorak or colemak later. When I do so, is it better to go with blanks or qwerty printed caps? I won't be looking at the keyboard much when that happens.

If you can type without looking, I prefer blanks. That way any remaps you do aren't mislabeled and you can use different layouts.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:55:49 »
I would say blanks, but im sure im in the minority. Once you can touch type, the only reason for legends is aesthetics. Personally, I havent yet used blanks, but I have a few sets of blanks coming in the mail that im super excited to try out.

Ultimately though, my goal is to get some white blanks have some custom artwork sprayed on them. I know several artists that work in similar styles as to what im after, the trouble is choosing the best one without the others finding out I didnt pick them.

I only mention this because I dont necessarily think the options should be just blank or legends, rather they should be legends or no legends. That way you have a bit more option in the aesthetics of your board. Think of blanks as a canvas. Some people think legends are beautiful artwork, others thing they are garish.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:56:33 »
Printed because Cherry font looks better than no font :-X
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:58:33 »
I'm too much of a newb to use blanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 23:02:25 »
On Dvorak or Colemak?

Blank, definitely!

When someone else tries to use your keyboard without realising that it is Dvorak or Colemak - much laughter.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 23:15:31 »
Blank it is!

Now what color should it be...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 23:37:27 »
Blank it is!

Yellow!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:55:23 »
I like blanks more then printed (i'm using blanks). It just feels better knowing you don't have qwerty printed keycaps when using other layouts. But it is kind of fun to trick people when they use my keyboard and think my keyboard is in qwerty layout! Though I can see why printed is usefully if you don't touch type. :p

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:57:28 »
Blank it is!

Gray/Grey! :p

Offline avtar

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:05:16 »
Blank it is!

Gray/Grey! :p

+1 for blank grey. Dark or light though?

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:39:28 »
I would love to find Braille keycaps ...
Seriously!
 :)
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 03:55:18 »
I use blanks on my custom ergo board (touch typing), but still need printed caps on a qwerty, simply because I float my hands all over and often need to look to find my reference again.

If I could touch type on qwerty I'd go blanks, because then I can use thick blank POM caps  :thumb:
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 03:59:32 »
Gonna try using blanks soon

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Belfong

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 04:19:19 »
Honestly? I am struggling with the same debate on whether to get a blank white/grey caps for the HHKB or the printed one. The legends that HHKB used are really nice and attractive, so it's not a problem for me to get a printed but all my keyboards are printed, so it will be good to have a blanks. Until today I have not really convinced myself which to go for.. anyway... I will see how it goes and perhaps this thread would help me see better.

Offline terran5992

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 08:26:21 »
Honestly? I am struggling with the same debate on whether to get a blank white/grey caps for the HHKB or the printed one. The legends that HHKB used are really nice and attractive, so it's not a problem for me to get a printed but all my keyboards are printed, so it will be good to have a blanks. Until today I have not really convinced myself which to go for.. anyway... I will see how it goes and perhaps this thread would help me see better.

Dont keyboards look better with blanks?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:04:44 »

Dont keyboards look better with blanks?

No why do you think people are all crazy about cherry legends....because they like to look at them :P

Offline regack

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:07:59 »
I touch type, but I like to see the legends.  Also, when going with non-standard layouts I find it necessary to find those keys that are... moved from where I expect them to be.

That said, some designs look great in blanks... but generally I find that the smaller boards look better in blanks than larger ones.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:13:41 »
Seriously!
Engraved?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:17:10 »
Yellow blanks for you Pacifist.

Cherry legends look great and all but I prefer to have my blanks and let others see and think "this man can touch type"

Offline osi

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:17:30 »
If you can touch type, I would go with blanks. Honestly, you might be surprised at how well you start off simply because of your muscle memory. Admittedly, I still look at my keys If I am typing with one hand.

Why not start off with a cheap set of alphas to see if you like em? That way you don't go all in on a blank set you can't use.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:21:21 »
Is HHKB using Cherry legend? Those looked really good.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:22:50 »

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Belfong

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:25:03 »
Thanks mate. It looks more like model M font than anything. HHKB does suspiciously look like it.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:25:53 »
If you can touch type, I would go with blanks. Honestly, you might be surprised at how well you start off simply because of your muscle memory. Admittedly, I still look at my keys If I am typing with one hand.

Why not start off with a cheap set of alphas to see if you like em? That way you don't go all in on a blank set you can't use.

i cant touch type at all, and have to look at my board for proper key locations. Soooo naturally i ordered a blank HHKB pro 2 to throw my self into typing hell. touch typing is skill i really want to learn and i feel this is the way to properly motivate myself to finally give it a go. Geekhack has encouraged me make some pretty reckless expenditures, but its nice knowing you arent stuck with something you hate if you dont mind taking a small price hit on the resale to just try something out. Heres to you classifieds  :thumb:
sell out and eat ass

Offline osi

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 09:52:29 »

i cant touch type at all, and have to look at my board for proper key locations. Soooo naturally i ordered a blank HHKB pro 2 to throw my self into typing hell. touch typing is skill i really want to learn and i feel this is the way to properly motivate myself to finally give it a go. Geekhack has encouraged me make some pretty reckless expenditures, but its nice knowing you arent stuck with something you hate if you dont mind taking a small price hit on the resale to just try something out. Heres to you classifieds  :thumb:

You've got the geekhack bug too. Browsing geekhack has an inverse effect on the funds -- The more you browse, the more you watch your money leave your wallet!! Haha

Seems like you already have the passion to learn. Good luck bro!

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 10:08:51 »
Even though blank can be very sleek I much prefer the awesomeness of cherry legends
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 10:12:28 »
TBH, I like the looks of blanks, but could never use them due to my typing style (sometimes I HAVE to look at the keyboard). So, legends it is for me...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline yasuo

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 10:19:01 »
Typist with keycap:Font,Ninja,Printed HHKB,Engraved,Blank :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 10:58:48 by yasuo »

Offline ctbear

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 11:22:25 »
Definitely blank if you are going for other layouts.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 11:35:04 »
Seriously!
Engraved?
Nope, Braille is another kind of animal

There is a guy on ebay selling "stickers" (below) but I would love to see some blank keycaps with then already.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 16:17:04 »
For the longest time I thought blanks were the coolest looking style out there.  But then I realize it depends on the keyboard.

For HHKB, yes blank looks better.

For larger keyboards I find blank feel a bit "plain".  Also if you can manage to get keyboard with color legends then in my opinion it looks better.  Like white base with blue legends.

Front printed (Ninja Style) I find is a good balance in between the two.  I think they need to come up with front printed keycaps with color legends.  That might be an interesting idea also they don't have to worry about printing method because that area won't get touched.

Also even though I can touch type, I realize it's still an annoyance once in a while trying to figure out not-frequently used keys on keyboard.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tuananh_bkk

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 20:24:28 »
For the longest time I thought blanks were the coolest looking style out there.  But then I realize it depends on the keyboard.

For HHKB, yes blank looks better.

For larger keyboards I find blank feel a bit "plain".  Also if you can manage to get keyboard with color legends then in my opinion it looks better.  Like white base with blue legends.

Front printed (Ninja Style) I find is a good balance in between the two.  I think they need to come up with front printed keycaps with color legends.  That might be an interesting idea also they don't have to worry about printing method because that area won't get touched.

Also even though I can touch type, I realize it's still an annoyance once in a while trying to figure out not-frequently used keys on keyboard.

bought Hhkb printed as i'm afraid i can't get used to the new layout that quick. regret it now !

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 21:13:04 »
I found that the best way to actually settle a debate between keyboard options is to give a try to one and if it fits you that's the end, if not you can always re-sell your item and go for the next option. Even when you think you have made your mind based on others' opinions it may happen that you do not like the mainstream and have to go in a different direction than the others.

Bottom line: GH is not about mainstream, its all about individualism.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 22:03:41 »
Bottom line: GH is not about mainstream, its all about individualism.
aggre,human is complex always different each individual :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:22:41 by yasuo »

Offline divito

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 18:30:10 »
Blank. Printed has its place for certain concepts and ideas, but I'll always prefer blanks for aesthetics and minimalism.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline moonexe

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 14:25:27 »
I find blank keys more aesthetically pleasing, but I guess that's a personal thing.

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 02:14:07 »
Blank.  It discourages most other people from using your computer.  Also, when learning a new layout, it makes things less annoying.  It can get confusing looking at a QWERTY keyboard if you are trying to learn DVORAK or whatever other layout, but having a blank keyboard teaches you not to bother even looking.  The Topre black on super dark grey is also nice.  If you got engraved keys it would be pretty similar.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 02:45:29 »
printed DSA you can change the layout up to you
or blank :)

Offline terran5992

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 03:35:09 »

Where do i find printed DSA?

Offline yasuo

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 03:36:24 »

SP :)

Offline terran5992

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 08:05:28 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 08:05:50 »
blanks 4 life
I love Elzy

Offline osi

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 08:06:57 »

Offline terran5992

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 08:07:52 »

SP :)

Are they pbt or abs?

PBT!

Awesome. I might pick up a set next year just to compare between cherry profile Thick PBT

Offline adion227

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 23:28:40 »
If I want the letters, I opt for engraved other than that blank is the way to go :D

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 11:48:07 »
When I ordered my Pure Pro I got the printed caps to just get used to the new layout. I knew that I could later strip off the legends since the legends are pad printed.  :thumb:
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 14:38:19 »
Blank. For me I haven't typed on my shine in a while since I have been away and stuck using a membrane. I find my self looking down to type :(. But if you can go blanks.
For your F row on the other that's hard memorize past 6. Gamers will know 1-6 instantly.

Offline mapple

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 13:10:06 »
white blanks with backlight
In God We Trust

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 13:52:54 »
blanks!