Author Topic: Reviving an Apple IIgs keyboard  (Read 13792 times)

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
Reviving an Apple IIgs keyboard
« on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 09:00:12 »
I have written up my experience of jumping head first into the DIY world of modding/resuscitating old keyboards, forcing them back to work 26 years after their manufacture! I have published this on my own website -> http://octobrain.net/blog/howto-revive-iigs-keyboard.html which has nicer formatting, but this is exactly the same text and pictures. Hope this helps someone!

Also since it was written for the website there are references to geekhack.org, which is this website. Don't be confused man.

==================================

I managed to buy an Apple IIgs Keyboard off the geekhack.org forums. It is an Apple Desktop Bus keyboard, not USB, therefore I can't just plug it into a modern computer and have it working.

The least involved method to get it working

If you're not a DIY sort of person, the easiest way to get it working with a modern computer is to get one of these ADB to USB Converters from eBay. However, you'll be stuck with the funny keyboard layout and no function keys.

The more fun method

The more fun method involves getting a Teensy microcontroller, hooking it up to the keyboard, and flashing software onto the Teensy to get it working. This way, I could also define the key mapping for the keyboard as I wish, including creating Function layers where holding a particular key while pressing different keys will result in different keys. The most common example of this is the
Code: [Select]
fn + F1/F2 on modern Apple keyboards, which gives you the
brightness increase/decrease key.

With that said, let's get started.

Required items

• Teensy 2.0 [link 1] [link 2]
  • A 1k ohm resistor
  • Some solder & wire
  • USB Mini cable (not the USB Micro) - The Teensy doesn't come with a cable

First, we look at the ADB protocol to see what connections need to be made. Straightforward information can be found here. In a nutshell, there are four connections we need to make, according to the Pin out diagram, from the keyboard to the Teensy.

ADB (Keyboard)Teensy
Pin 1DataTeensy D1
Pin 2Power onTeensy D2
Pin 3+5 volts powerTeensy VCC
Pin 4GroundTeensy GND

Note that Teensy D1 and D2 are arbitrary choices, you just need to reflect which pins you chose in the keyboard firmware code later (we'll come to it). VCC and GND can be either of the two on the Teensy board, it does not matter which.

I basically soldered direct from the keyboard PCB to the Teensy ports above initially, and then soldered the resistor between the +5V (Teensy VCC) and Data (Teensy D1) lines. The connections look like this:

Notice that the pin numbers are marked on the PCB as highlighted.

At this point, I downloaded all the necessary software to get started with the keyboard firmware. On an OS X computer, I needed to download:

• Compiler - to compile firmware before it can be flashed to the Teensy
  • Teensy Loader - to flash compiled firmware to the Teensy
  • tmk_keyboard - the actual firmware that becomes the brains of the keyboard. The guy who wrote this, hasu, has done a tremendous amount of work on this that enables this firmware and a Teensy to practically control any sort of keyboard, old and new, and even DIY keyboards made from scratch.
After installing items 1 and 2 above, it's time to dive straight into the firmware code. I opened up
/converter/adb_usb/config.h and changed line 51 that says
#define ADB_DATA_BIT 0 to
#define ADB_DATA_BIT 1, and the line below from
1 to
2 for the
ADB_PSW_BIT parameter.

Then, I opened up
/converter/adb_usb/keymap.c and started defining my keymap for the IIgs keyboard. (Note that the M0116 keyboard mentioned is indeed the IIgs keyboard; if you're doing this for the also-ADB Apple Extended keyboard the sample function has been written out in this file too. )

At this point I barely knew my way around C, but the code is written in a manner so clear I just followed the breadcrumbs and managed to piece this together:

The IIgs key map has been conveniently defined in a macro that is in the form of a visual representation of the physical keyboard, so you can put the keycode of the key you want whichever key to output in that exact visual spot in the code. Here's the macro in question (which you shouldn't change, just read, to understand what I'm talking about)

#define KEYMAP_M0116( \ 
                               K7F,                                              \ 
       K35,K12,K13,K14,K15,K17,K16,K1A,K1C,K19,K1D,K1B,K18,K33, K47,K51,K4B,K43, \ 
       K30,K0C,K0D,K0E,K0F,K11,K10,K20,K22,K1F,K23,K21,K1E,     K59,K5B,K5C,K45, \ 
       K36,K00,K01,K02,K03,K05,K04,K26,K28,K25,K29,K27,    K24, K56,K57,K58,K4E, \ 
       K38,K06,K07,K08,K09,K0B,K2D,K2E,K2B,K2F,K2C,        K7B, K53,K54,K55,     \ 
       K39,K3A,K37,K32,        K31,        K2A,K3B,K3C,K3D,K3E, K52,    K41,K4C  \ 
    ) { \ 
      { KC_##K00, KC_##K01, KC_##K02, KC_##K03, KC_##K04, KC_##K05, KC_##K06, KC_##K07 }, \ 
      { KC_##K08, KC_##K09, KC_NO,    KC_##K0B, KC_##K0C, KC_##K0D, KC_##K0E, KC_##K0F }, \ 
      { KC_##K10, KC_##K11, KC_##K12, KC_##K13, KC_##K14, KC_##K15, KC_##K16, KC_##K17 }, \ 
      { KC_##K18, KC_##K19, KC_##K1A, KC_##K1B, KC_##K1C, KC_##K1D, KC_##K1E, KC_##K1F }, \ 
      { KC_##K20, KC_##K21, KC_##K22, KC_##K23, KC_##K24, KC_##K25, KC_##K26, KC_##K27 }, \ 
      { KC_##K28, KC_##K29, KC_##K2A, KC_##K2B, KC_##K2C, KC_##K2D, KC_##K2E, KC_##K2F }, \ 
      { KC_##K30, KC_##K31, KC_##K32, KC_##K33, KC_NO,    KC_##K35, KC_##K36, KC_##K37 }, \ 
      { KC_##K38, KC_##K39, KC_##K3A, KC_##K3B, KC_##K3C, KC_##K3D, KC_##K3E, KC_NO    }, \ 
      { KC_NO,    KC_##K41, KC_NO,    KC_##K43, KC_NO,    KC_##K45, KC_NO,    KC_##K47 }, \ 
      { KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_##K4B, KC_##K4C, KC_NO,    KC_##K4E, KC_NO    }, \ 
      { KC_NO,    KC_##K51, KC_##K52, KC_##K53, KC_##K54, KC_##K55, KC_##K56, KC_##K57 }, \ 
      { KC_##K58, KC_##K59, KC_NO,    KC_##K5B, KC_##K5C, KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO    }, \ 
      { KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO   , KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO    }, \ 
      { KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO    }, \ 
      { KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO    }, \ 
      { KC_NO   , KC_NO,    KC_NO   , KC_##K7B, KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_##K7F }  \ 
    }   
[/pre]

So by calling
KEYMAP_M0116( ... ) in line 189, you can easily identify each key and map it to your preference. (You replace the
KEYMAP_EXTENDED_US( ... ) part, which is a macro also but for the Apple Extended Keyboard, not the IIgs. )

This is how my
keymap.c looks at line 189 now:

static const uint8_t PROGMEM keymaps[][MATRIX_ROWS][MATRIX_COLS]={
    KEYMAP_M0116(
                               PWR,                                             
       GRV ,1   ,2   ,3   ,4   ,5   ,6   ,7   ,8   ,9   ,0   ,MINS,EQL ,BSPC, DELETE,PEQL,PSLS,MPLY,
       TAB ,Q   ,W   ,E   ,R   ,T   ,Y   ,U   ,I   ,O   ,P   ,LBRC,RBRC,         P7  ,P8  ,P9  ,VOLU,
       LCTL,A   ,S   ,D   ,F   ,G   ,H   ,J   ,K   ,L   ,SCLN,QUOT,ENT ,         P4  ,P5  ,P6  ,VOLD,
       LSFT,Z   ,X   ,C   ,V   ,B   ,N   ,M   ,COMM,DOT ,SLSH,     RSFT,         P1  ,P2  ,P3  ,
       FN1 ,LALT,LGUI,ESC,        SPC,         BSLS,LEFT,DOWN,UP  ,RGHT,         FN0      ,PDOT,PENT
    ),
    };
[/pre]

You can find a full list of possible keys to be output in
/doc/keycode.txt.

At this point, I've had the compiler (AVR MacPack, see above list of software I downloaded) installed. I fired up the terminal, navigated to this folder (
/converter/adb_usb/) and typed
make. If all goes well, you will have a new file named
adb_usb_lufa.hex. I might have missed out on some intermediate steps or configurations, so if you see any error messages please get in touch.

The final step was to load the
.hex file into the Teensy using the Teensy Loader. The keyboard worked after a few seconds, when the Teensy had done booting up.

Putting it all in a nice package

I mentioned a couple of centuries back that I simply soldered four wires from the keyboard's PCB to the appropriate pins on the Teensy. That will not do for daily usage as I have to transport my keyboard between home and work.

I have therefore replaced the soldered wire with a salvaged ribbon cable into a female header. The Teensy pins are soldered to some male pins which correspond to the correct pin positions in the female header. I also built a rough enclosure out of some ice-cream sticks to house the entire thing.

Special thanks to hasu on geekhack.org for the awesome firmware, which is super simple to get started with and is immensely powerful when you want to define multiple-layered keymaps. More information on the firmware can be found in this forum thread.

I might also write about adding additional keymap layers using this firmware, but chances are you have already figured out how by now. If not, feel free to ask! Please look for hydrospell on the geekhack.org forums or IRC if you have questions. Alternatively, look for @hydrospell on Twitter.

I hope this helps with your old Apple keyboard journey too. These are really so great to type on!

=====================

Errata:
(none yet, sure there will be edits and such, which I will keep updated between this post and my webpage)

Thanks for reading!

:thumb:
⌨ Filco MJ2 MX Blues / M0116 Orange Alps / Homemade 60% MX Reds / M0110

Cherry MX art prints 20/50 still available!

Offline Findecanor

Re: Reviving an Apple IIgs keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 13:49:36 »
There isn't enough room inside the keyboard's case for the Teensy?

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 21:13:53 »
I don't think there is - tried fitting the teensy in various ways. However I got the teensy with header pins, perhaps the ones that come without will fit in nicely as they're flat.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 07:57:36 »
There’s definitely enough space inside for a Teensy. (See for instance http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.msg304680#msg304680)

Anyhow, nice work! Keep rocking those orange Alps switches!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 00:10:49 by jacobolus »

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 04:45:27 »
That one is a controller replacement mod sir! I think jeffreysung desoldered the original controller. My version is more like attaching a semi permanent adapter - but still - thanks for pointing that out, might try that myself if I need something to do. Note that he uses a Teensy++, not a Teensy for this mod. (more pinouts I think)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 04:51:04 »
Ah you’re right. Nonetheless, I’m right now holding a teensy and an A9M0330 (well, the Made in Taiwan version), and I can safely say that there’s more than enough space inside, underneath the keyboard, even without removing anything.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:01:46 by jacobolus »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:44:45 »
Cool! I just got a board similar to this (M0116) and I have a Teensy sitting around. Maybe instead of just cannibalizing it for parts I should Teensy it instead...

Thanks for sharing!

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 01:48:46 »
Ah you’re right. Nonetheless, I’m right now holding a teensy and an A9M0330 (well, the Made in Taiwan version), and I can safely say that there’s more than enough space inside, underneath the keyboard, even without removing anything.

Might be the way I soldered the connections which are taking up too much space... My problem was I didnt want to make a hole in the plastic case to put the usb cable through. Perhaps if I desoldered one of the ADB ports...

Link me up if you manage to mod yours! Curious about how someone else would do this mod. :D

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 01:49:58 »
CPTBadAss - cheers. Enjoyed writing it up too and if this helps anyone else in any way, even better!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:05:37 »
Perhaps if I desoldered one of the ADB ports...
Yep, that’s what I’d recommend.

Or maybe even desolder both of them and pass through another USB port to the other side! :)

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 05:00:15 »
To the other side!!! Aren't you a wild one

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 05:02:50 »
thanks for documenting, i plan on doing this when i get access to a soldering iron :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 08:15:32 »
over 3k posts on geekhack and not in possession of a soldering iron! This is what I call staying power guys.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 04:23:42 »
over 3k posts on geekhack and not in possession of a soldering iron! This is what I call staying power guys.

i had to leave my weller in the states because the power is different here in europe :)

my actual postcount is probably closer to 5k but they stopped counting off-topic posts and this is where i bother people the most post a lot these days
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace