Author Topic: DIY Shelf Dampener Mod  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
DIY Shelf Dampener Mod
« on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 22:53:45 »
So I decided to mod my keycool 84 with shelf liner to make it more quiet. After the mod the board is significantly quieter.

First layer of liner:

Just cut it out and put it on there

Cutting holes

Just cut holes for the pegs and the USB cable

Add more in the gaps

Second layer

Didn't cut out room for the USB port and just made slits for the cables

Its wayyy quieter now. A lot less ping. Now I just need to stop bottoming out every stroke.

Full album at: http://imgur.com/a/Oz6td

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: DIY Shelf Dampener Mod
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 23:15:59 »
Nice :)  Glad it worked out for you!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 20:09:29 »
Marvelous modification, great idea, cheap and easy to do. works very well and will work for everyone. Increases weight. Reduces ping, noise, vibrations, and resonance. Improvements are probably a lot more noticeable in PCB mounted boards.

Deserves recognition.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 20:19:10 »
Marvelous modification, great idea, cheap and easy to do. works very well and will work for everyone. Increases weight. Reduces ping, noise, vibrations, and resonance. Improvements are probably a lot more noticeable in PCB mounted boards.

Deserves recognition.

Thanks! I found out about this from Photoelectric and some other people here on GH.

One 60 inch by 12 inch mat is enough for a 75% board, a full size, a 122 key board, and I still have 24 inches left.

It does increase weight but by not that much :))

I've done this mod to both the plate mounted KC84 and the PCB mounted G80-11900, and the difference is about the same. There is more ping reduction in the plate mounted board because the ping bounces around more but its much quieter on the PCB mounted one.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 20:35:08 »
And, of course, save one piece for the outside to keep it from sliding around on the desk.

I have upgraded to EPDM roofing membrane, but that is harder to find.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:08:25 »
I have gotten some leftover heavy-gauge EPDM roofing material to cut into keyboard mats, enough for maybe 6-7.

They will be posted in the Classifieds.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"