Author Topic: Replacement Topre Space Bar Spring  (Read 3192 times)

Offline PointyFox

Replacement Topre Space Bar Spring
« on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 17:46:30 »
I need a spring for my 45g Topre space bar.

Does anyone know where I can get another or know of an equivalent replacement?
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 March 2014, 02:01:18 by PointyFox »

Offline jalaj

Re: Replacement Topre Space Bar Spring
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 17:48:41 »
what happened to the original?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 18:20:27 »
Don't know, got it used.  Also it has a full length space bar, so wouldn't that mean it had one spring at each end?

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 18:35:56 »
It has one spring on top of the switch (this is different than the springs underneath the domes of all of your Topre switches).

I don't know if there is a definitive word on this but most people seem to feel this is just so it requires a bit more force (maybe 5g) over a normal switch to press down. 

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 18:38:30 »
It has one spring on top of the switch (this is different than the springs underneath the domes of all of your Topre switches).

I don't know if there is a definitive word on this but most people seem to feel this is just so it requires a bit more force (maybe 5g) over a normal switch to press down. 

Strange, it feels lighter than the other keys to me when it doesn't have the spring.  Maybe it's due to the weight of the key?  I kept accidentally pressing the space bar without the spring.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 18:51:48 »

Strange, it feels lighter than the other keys to me when it doesn't have the spring.  Maybe it's due to the weight of the key?  I kept accidentally pressing the space bar without the spring.

Yeah..it is a much heavier key..not to mention the variability of the rubber cups anyways.  Some people hate the idea but I've always thought it made sense for the space bar to require a bit more force than other keys...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:15:24 »
Don't know, got it used.  Also it has a full length space bar, so wouldn't that mean it had one spring at each end?

Did they put it under backspace perhaps?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:26:41 »
Another factor might be that you (at least I do) tend to press the space bar with your thumb, which is inherently stronger than your fingers.

Quite a few people have removed the extra spring, and probably kept it.

You might try a WTB thread.  Someone might even give one to you!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:31:31 »
Another factor might be that you (at least I do) tend to press the space bar with your thumb, which is inherently stronger than your fingers.

Quite a few people have removed the extra spring, and probably kept it.

You might try a WTB thread.  Someone might even give one to you!

I've been fine-tuning that wire spring I made and it feels pretty good now.  I hope it holds up.

Is there a difference between springs used in different weight switches, like 45 or 55g?  Also, the 87U, it only has a spring in the center of the space bar, right?  I've never actually seen one :P

The wiki seems to say that only the ones with the short Japanese style space bars had ones in the center, and the longer space bars were supported by one on each end, though mine just has stabilizers on the sides and I don't think that would make sense.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:34:05 by PointyFox »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:38:34 »
The difference in 45g and 55g topre is the domes.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:48:00 »
Is there a difference between springs used in different weight switches, like 45 or 55g?  Also, the 87U, it only has a spring in the center of the space bar, right?  I've never actually seen one :P

The wiki seems to say that only the ones with the short Japanese style space bars had ones in the center, and the longer space bars were supported by one on each end, though mine just has stabilizers on the sides and I don't think that would make sense.

No...There is only one spring on the RF with full sized keyboards..and one spring w/ the HHKB....As you said, the sides have stabilizers so it doesn't make any sense there would be a spring there..