Author Topic: Some 3d models  (Read 3914 times)

Offline kaporkle

Some 3d models
« on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 02:38:38 »
Hi. A while back I was doing keyboard 3d renders, maybe a few of you remember. In the end I found that I couldn't really make time to continue the project. I am uploading some of the assets I created in case someone may find them useful. The models were meant for visualization, so generally only surfaces that are plainly visible were modeled (ie: no stems on keycaps). Also, while I tried to be accurate I probably wouldn't trust these models for CAD work. But if anybody wants to do mockups these may come in handy.

The contents are a bit of a hodgepodge, sorry. I grabbed what was easy to clean up and upload. The files are in obj format, there is:
A generic 87 board
104 Cherry
104 DCS
104 DSA
61 OEM

If you have any questions, let me know.
Cheers

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9l3ofl

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Some 3d models
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 03:14:30 »
I do remember, and some of the fantastic renders that you did.

I also seem to recall that you planned to offer this as a paid service.

Sorry that it did not work out that way for you, but thank you for providing the resources to the community!

These obj files, were they created with Houdini (or something like it, not that I know what it is, I just encountered it elsewhere on GH very recently)?

Do you know if these files can be used in other rendering apps?  I'd be kinda interested in experimenting with them, but apart from a bit of PovRay a few years ago I haven't done much with anything.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kaporkle

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 09:44:05 »
Hi rowdy, that's correct but they were exported as OBJs rather than Houdini's native geometry format because pretty much any 3d app can read OBJ. I'm sorry I didn't really provide much technical info, I was dozing off and didn't want to write a huge post. :))

All of the keycap models except the OEM caps have UV coordinates, for both the tops (obviously) as well as the front faces of the keys. UVs are required to map a 2D image to 3D geometry, such as a legend for example. To create an appropriate texture map of your fonts, you need to be able to see the layout of the UVs. I'm not sure how it works in other 3D apps, but Houdini can spit out an image of a model's UV layout, which you can then take into photoshop/illustrator/etc to be used as reference. I should provide those for convenience…

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 10:06:00 »
Thanks for these, I'm gonna check em out when I have some more time! I might try to hook them up with my 2d mockups.

Hi rowdy, that's correct but they were exported as OBJs rather than Houdini's native geometry format because pretty much any 3d app can read OBJ. I'm sorry I didn't really provide much technical info, I was dozing off and didn't want to write a huge post. :))

All of the keycap models except the OEM caps have UV coordinates, for both the tops (obviously) as well as the front faces of the keys. UVs are required to map a 2D image to 3D geometry, such as a legend for example. To create an appropriate texture map of your fonts, you need to be able to see the layout of the UVs. I'm not sure how it works in other 3D apps, but Houdini can spit out an image of a model's UV layout, which you can then take into photoshop/illustrator/etc to be used as reference. I should provide those for convenience…

I was wondering what this feature was called and if it could be applied! Very cool, I've never heard of houdini until now either. I've used 3ds and c4d in the past.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2014, 10:07:42 by codyeatworld »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 02:01:26 »
I wish I knew how to work with those files and the software to use, because your renders turned out awesome.  Does anyone have any software recommendations with a shorter learning curve?

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 11:03:37 »
I wish I knew how to work with those files and the software to use, because your renders turned out awesome.  Does anyone have any software recommendations with a shorter learning curve?

I haven't worked in 3D in long time but I started out with Cinema 4D and graduated to 3D Studio Max (Maya/Autodesk) later on which I would say is more complex and different than C4D.

Theres also Blender, which I never really used.

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 03:48:08 »
Is it too late to possibly download these files? The sendspace link expired, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 04:04:50 »
I'm feeling lazy atm (and slightly off-colour), but maybe these were lnked into the stick thread here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ