Author Topic: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014  (Read 34544 times)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Re: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 09:51:06 »
I was just expecting to get it first with my first post :))
No matter. I can wait :p

You also have a pretty good geographic layout if you look at the first three people on the list.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 01:25:26 »
I was going to drop the try in the mail today, but the UV group buy orders came and sorting that took priority.  This will be going out sometime next week unless I get sick or something else happens.  Until then, sign up is still open.

Offline domesticbark

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 19:25:58 »
:( Are you planning on running the switch tester around for awhile or will it just be these few people? Maybe in a few months I can be established T.T

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 19:49:22 »
I may let more people join later since I expect it to take a couple of months to make the full rounds.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:13:39 »
you are a hero, nubbinator! The community needs stuff like this!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Comment

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:50:19 »
you are a hero, nubbinator! The community needs stuff like this!
I agree, there are definitely a bunch of people out there doing great things that need more praise.
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 01:20:26 »
This is perfect cuz I was contemplating for weeks if I should get a green switch in my spacebar and the rest of the board being blues. I hope I am reputable enough to sign up.

Also, does anybody have any experience with greens and could tell me right away what they think about having a green in the spacebar?

And is the sign up still open?????
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2014, 01:25:56 by Folio »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:38:03 »
Also, does anybody have any experience with greens and could tell me right away what they think about having a green in the spacebar?

I like uniform boards. So the keyboard I have with Greens have Greens on all the switches, including the spacebar. It's one of my daily drivers so I think it's fine.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:55:34 »

I like uniform boards. So the keyboard I have with Greens have Greens on all the switches, including the spacebar. It's one of my daily drivers so I think it's fine.

I think he was talking about having a green on the spacebar with blues for the rest of the board.
My old das had blues everywhere, including the spacebar. This didn't feel too light. Lots of people use greens for the spacebar, though. I think a handful of ducky mx blue boards come stock with greens for the spacebar. It really comes down to personal preference. Best way to find out what's best for you: buy a couple a green or two and try it out for yourself.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:19:52 »
Here's the order for the tour:

Tacticalstache
riotonthebay
Luis911
1pq
CPTBadAss
Folio
smferris
jacobolus
Sniping
semyorka
Gameaholic
mooswa
Jalberstone

I'm starting it across the country and bringing it back to me.  It's going out today, so it should be started before the end of the week. Please remember to do a mini review of the switches.  They're so close in weight on a lot of them that it will be interesting to see what kind of difference people notice.

And some of you live closer to each other than you  might think.  Tacticalstache and riotonthebay, you guys are practically neighbors and Luis911 is right there by you too.  jacobolus, Sniping, semyorka, Gameaholic, and Mooswa, you guys are all right in the same area with each other.  It might be fun to do a mini meet up with each other.  And since you all live so close to each other, I know who to send to beat the tester out of you if you don't send it on to the next person ;)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:27:03 »
YGPM, nubs!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:32:20 »
YGPM, nubs!

Responded.  And so everyone knows, there will be a small delay at the beginning with riotonthebay.  Something came up that will cause a delay.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 15:11:56 »

YGPM, nubs!

Responded.  And so everyone knows, there will be a small delay at the beginning with riotonthebay.  Something came up that will cause a delay.

Hopefully it won't actually be any delay to the one-week-per-person timeline. Tacticalstache, don't rush yourself sending it on to me, as I won't be able to collect it until the 18th ;).

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 16:30:53 »
Nubs, can you possibly post a time line so we can see when to expect the tester at the latest if everyone had it for one week? Thanks.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 08:39:30 »
I LIVE

AND THIS THING IS BALLIN'

I'll keep it for a week from today, if there are no objections, I have some buddies who might want to try

And holy crap, ROTB lives much closer to me than I previously thought. Maybe we can save on shipping by meeting up ;D
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 08:54:07 »
I'd be happy to meet up :). PM me when you're ready to pass it on and we'll figure it out.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:21:24 »
Did you end up including the jailhouse blue? What "jailing method" did you use?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:37:00 »

It's solder locked
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:39:41 »
Oh wow. Can't wait for your review on all of those switches, but especially the jailhouse.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:53:20 »
I'm very excited for this, and for comparing the jailhouse blue from this with those in my JD40. So far I love them but am glad that I only had to make 40 of them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:55:02 »

It's solder locked

I see you popped it open

...you cheeky bugger.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 17:57:05 »
THE REVIEW

Red: It's an MX red, I like it. I use them all the time

Black vs vintage black: new one feels like an MX black, vintage feels like MX blacks that have been used a lot (see: my QFR)

Linear grey: Scratchier than I expected, but I still like it. Kinda heavy for my taste.

Mixed weight blacks: 45/55 are too light for my taste, 62 is perfect and I'm gonna order some 62g springs for my QFR, 65 is great too, 67 and 80 are too heavy.

Brown: I don't know what I was expecting

Mixed weight browns: I don't like any of them as much as I like the normal one. 45 and 80 are especially lame.

Clear: Now this I can get behind. That bump is wonderful

Mixed weight clears: everything between 55 and 67 is awesome. the 62 and 45 one get stuck, which is strange.

Blue: This is a lame example of an MX blue. It's less tactile than my camo, which is odd

Mixed weight blues: The click changes! I'd use 45g blues just because of the sound. but 62g is nice too, eveything else is pretty average.

Green vs 80g blue: There's a difference. You'll notice it.

Tactile grey: sooooo heavy wow

White: Quieter blue. I kinda like it

Mixed weight whites: Nevermind I don't like it. Really shows the inconsistency of the clicks.

Jailhouse blue: GIVE ME MORE OF THIS

Ghost black: That's neat. But too heavy.

It's solder locked

I see you popped it open

...you cheeky bugger.

You wrote that in your key, silly

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:00:23 »
Sometimes I forget things.

And I should have laminated that key.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:03:40 by nubbinator »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:07:08 »
Ah, it's a legend for the switch types? Just put it in the OP so people can print a new one if it gets worn out.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:36:17 »
Ah, it's a legend for the switch types? Just put it in the OP so people can print a new one if it gets worn out.

I went low tech.  Pen, paper, and ruler.  Oh, and some high tech clear tape.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 19:42:43 »

I went low tech.  Pen, paper, and ruler.  Oh, and some high tech clear tape.

Got it. I'll try to remember to scan it, then. :thumb:

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 14:22:59 »
You guys are making me ancy to get my hands on this thing. Seriously cannot wait.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:44:14 »
Switch tester has been handed off to Riotonthebay. We talked about ripster, endgame customs, my ironic HHKB, and a bunch of other stuff. Generally a pretty cool guy. I look forward to hanging out with him again.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 19:49:53 »
Pretty ****in cool.

Jk just pretty cool. We might meet up again in the future as well to show off more wares.

Looking forward to spending some time with this thing :).

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:20:01 »
Switch tester review

Instead of running through all the switches (my first inclination), I'm going to break them down by switch type and talk only about the particularly impressive and disappointing switches. Assume things I don't mention fall between "meh" and "okay".

Linear:

I have very little experience with linear switches. I don't game much anymore, instead spending my days programming and writing, so I opt for tactile or clicky switches. The Vintage Black has convinced me that linear switches might be worth a try. The "modern" black next to it is noticeably scratchier by comparison. I think the added weight as well would make it reasonable for typing – I think my fingers could learn to recognize the force required to actuate the switch without bottoming out. By comparison, the 45g Black is light to the point of absurdity. I don't think I could even rest my hands on a keyboard with those without depressing them all.

(Quiet) Tactile:

I'm more familiar with tactile switches than anything else. My first board had Browns and I've since tried 67g and 62g lubed Clears.  Since getting used to clears, browns hardly feel tactile anymore. When I met up with TacticalStache, he showed me his keyboards. At one point he handed me a board and I started typing, and asked, "so these are Reds?" and he was like, "no, Browns." Anyways, I don't care for them much anymore. None of the different weights did them any favors as well, and I think they just got worse as they got heavier (even less tactile).

The Clears were fine. I think they all could have used lube, especially the lighter ones. 45g is probably too light regardless, and was noticeably sluggish on the way back up. The 62g also tended to get stuck, or felt sticky. The tactile Grey was nice. I have 5 of them from mk.com that just came in actually, and plan to put one in the spacebar of a Clear board.

(Clicky) Tactile:

The Blues were mostly fine. I noticed that the lighter ones clicked inconsistently. (My general opinion from all this is that 45g springs are too light for everything.) To be honest, all of them fall roughly into the "meh" category. The Green was fine, but I'm now confused by every comparison I've read of Greens to Buckling Spring. The latter is far superior.

I don't like Whites. All of the Whites I've tried, including the ones included, click inconsistently. I like the idea of a "soft clicky" switch, but I don't like the idea of having to desolder repeatedly to replace switches that start to click funny.

The solder-locked Jailhouse Blue is very nice. It was my favorite clicky switch included. The tactile bump starts at the very top and is very pleasant. It's hard to get the full effect of this change though with only a single switch. I put 20 gauge brass wire-locked Jailhouse Blues in my JD40, and lubed them with a Krytox mix. When you lube them the click tends to disappear, so mine feel more like my 67g Clears with the tactile bump near the start. I think that I prefer them to the un-lubed switch included here, but I might change my mind if I had an entire board of these.

As a whole, I'm not particularly impressed by Cherry's clicky switches (except the Jailhouse Blue). I'm sitting next to a desk with a Model M and a bag of Complicated Blue Alps sitting on it, and both of those are superior to the Cherry switches. Compared to these alternatives, the Cherry switches feel gimmicky. (Unrelated to this switch tester, but I'm so taken by these Blue Alps that I've set the gears in motion to get a Duck Mini V2 to fill with them.)

Final thoughts:

Mr. Nubbs, thank you for putting this together! It's a lot of fun to be able to try all these out side-by-side.

Luis, the testers will likely be headed your way either tomorrow or Tuesday morning. I'll PM you tracking info when I have it  :thumb:

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:32:21 »
Nice review! Can't wait to get this after luis. I was wondering, though, how to jailhouse blues click if the two parts are locked together? I thought the clicking from blues was from the white plastic part slamming against the blue stem.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:33:18 »
As a note, jailhouse blues vary based on how you make them and on the spring you use.  If you don't add enough material between the blue and the white parts of the stem, there will remain a soft click, but I think it's difficult to keep it consistent.  If you add enough that the two parts are no longer mobile with respect to each other--there is no more click.  Without any lubricants.  My preference is for non click variants.  45g springs are perfect for Jailhouse Blues for me, as the modified stems are longer, which results in the spring never being fully relaxed.

Discussion on JB nuances here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45992
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:41:52 »
Nice review! Can't wait to get this after luis. I was wondering, though, how to jailhouse blues click if the two parts are locked together? I thought the clicking from blues was from the white plastic part slamming against the blue stem.

As Photoelectric mentioned, if there's not enough material between the two parts of the stems, they can still click.  That's why I liked the solder locked JHBs.  It's much easier to refine the amount of solder added to ensure that it doesn't click.

And I probably should have lubed the board.  Lube can make a dramatic difference in feel.  If I can find a cheap donor board in the future, I'll probably do one with lubed and unlubed switches so that you can get the full effect.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any Tipro or Cherry POS boards that were big enough yet and under $50.  While popping them into a plate is nice, a switch try really needs a PCB and case to get the full feel of it.

Offline luis911

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 19:38:06 »
Hey guys, Just got the switch tester today. I have to work on some homework so I wont get a chance to review it tonight, but I'll try to get to it by Saturday at least. For now, I'm pretty excited about recieving this tester. Prior to this event, I've only used blue and White switches, so this was a great opportunity for me to broaden my knowledge on switches.
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 20:22:17 »
Maybe we could each pitch in a few bucks / switches to put together a custom plate/pcb/case that would fit a variety of Cherry MX, Alps & clones, SMK “monterey”, Omron alps-mount, clicky Futaba, NMB space invaders, etc., and thus make a more full-spectrum kind of switch tester.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 20:28:00 »
Something like that would be pretty awesome.  Finding the switches would be tough though unless people were willing to chip in some they have or we found someone willing to give up a Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag.

The problem with adding a PCB to that mix would be that not all switches have the same sized gap between the plate and PCB, so it would have to be a plate and some sort of base that it would be mounted to without a PCB.  I'm also not sure how well some of the switches might survive a transplant, but it would be an awesome project and a fantastic community resource.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 21:53:16 »
Something like that would be pretty awesome.  Finding the switches would be tough though unless people were willing to chip in some they have or we found someone willing to give up a Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag.
Well I could contribute one each of about 9 types of Alps switches, Matias clicky & quiet, SMK “monterey” blue/white/lock, maybe orange Omrons (I have 4 of them but might want to use them all in a project), 3 colors of Futaba clicky switches, 4 types of Cherry MX switches. I’m sure we could find someone to toss in a few other types of switch, and a couple dozen people to toss in $5 each or something, to pay for pcb/plate.

As you say, it might require 2-3 different sections of PCB to account for different sizes of switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:29:08 »
I have a Ducky 1087XM I was going to turn into an Alps switch tester, if anyone is interested. I'd be happy to contribute it to this new suggested Alps tester.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:44:41 »

I have a Ducky 1087XM I was going to turn into an Alps switch tester, if anyone is interested. I'd be happy to contribute it to this new suggested Alps tester.

You know I have some blues, and I'd be happy to donate a small handful :).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 07:49:23 »

You know I have some blues, and I'd be happy to donate a small handful :).

Yes, how thoughtful of you to send me free Blue Alps. Please send them to my address. 80 was the total amount right?  :))

But seriously, that'd be cool to have on the tester. If people want to send me Alps switches, I can start to build this when I'm back. Or we can figure out how to include things like SMK Monterey and Omrons onto the board as well. Perhaps I take off the PCB, and file down the plate. Then build the board up without the PCB?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:08:59 »
Hmm, I think I'd prefer soldered so that the switches don't wiggle at all in the plate.

Anyways, just ping me when you're back in town and ready to get started :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 09:00:24 »
Hmm, I think I'd prefer soldered so that the switches don't wiggle at all in the plate.

Anyways, just ping me when you're back in town and ready to get started :)

You can anchor the switches to the plate without soldering them to a PCB, but soldered is generally nicer.

I have some original Black MYs I can kick in if I can figure out how to pop them off and will have to look around and see what else I might have.

Offline Rena

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 09:05:33 »
Very interesting to see a tester with various weighting on switches. If I wanted a tester that large though I'd probably want more than just cherry MX switches.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 09:11:34 »
This current one I'm passing around has various weights of switches.

Offline luis911

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 20:01:53 »
Reds
This is my first time trying out linear switches. I gotta say, I always thought linear switches would suck but they dont feel bad at all. They feel smooth and butter, but without the tactility I wonder how easy it is to miss a key and have it not register.
Black
Just like reds, but the higher spring constant sure makes them feel a bit more "premium" for lack of a better term. Vintage blacks are amazing I have to say. Where can I buy them? are they just lubed blacks?
Browns
Scratchy. Feels cheap. Do not want.
Clears
I have to say, these feel like well made browns. I can see myself typing on these all day.
Blues
They are ok, but the high pitch sound gets annoying after a while.
Greens
High pitch click with a higher spring constant. Need I say more.
Tactile Greys
These are way too strong for me. No thanks.
Whites
I likes my whites.(My Ducky Shine 3 has whites)
Jailhouse Blues
What is this?
Ghost Blacks
OMFG WANT. Can I keep it?  ;D

Thanks allot Nubbinator. I've had my fun with the switch tester, now its time to pass it on!  :thumb:
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 11:29:55 »
Please let me know through PM or through a post here when you get the tester and please PM me when you send it on, preferably with a tracking number.  I want to make sure things are moving forward. 

Edit:  I was just informed that it was just sent out, so we do have forward progress.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 11:45:32 by nubbinator »

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:25:45 »
Please let me know through PM or through a post here when you get the tester and please PM me when you send it on, preferably with a tracking number.  I want to make sure things are moving forward. 

Edit:  I was just informed that it was just sent out, so we do have forward progress.

Who's next in line?

Offline Misterorjoe

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:46:19 »
I would love to get in on this.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:05:54 »

Who's next in line?

Yours truly. Haven't got it yet, but I'm looking forward to it! After me it goes to the Badass Captain.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:13:56 »
Make sure CPT is back in town before you send it out to him. (I don't know how long his trip is.)