Author Topic: Snack Food Recommendations  (Read 31173 times)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Re: Snack Food Recommendations
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 20:47:45 »
BTW: this is what I consider a *naughty* healthfood:

Show Image

Medjool dates.  I can't stop eating them once I start so I try to avoid them altogether.  VERY high in sugar.

Basically mother natures candy bar.

Looks really sweet. I've never had them, but I've seen it in Asian superstores. Pretty scary how the dates are that gigantic, considering regular dates are half the size.

they're more or less dried plums... although there's also prunes.. but dates are just a different variety..

imho...

banana... FASTER... less chewing.. doesn't stick to teeth.

banana's make your breath kinda smell though

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 21:05:22 »

Show Image

Medjool dates.  I can't stop eating them once I start so I try to avoid them altogether.  VERY high in sugar.

Looks really sweet. I've never had them, but I've seen it in Asian superstores. Pretty scary how the dates are that gigantic, considering regular dates are half the size.

they're more or less dried plums... although there's also prunes.. but dates are just a different variety..

imho...

True.. but so does any sugary snack

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 08:45:04 »

Show Image

imho...

but banana's and funk go so well together

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 08:47:39 »
Gummibärchen

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 09:01:08 »

Show Image

imho...

Really good stuff. My Mom used to pack them in my lunch for a dessert. Of course the other kids had fun with that!

TP, not picking on you here, but plums and dates are not even remotely related botanically or in flavor.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 12:09:45 »

Show Image

imho...

Really good stuff. My Mom used to pack them in my lunch for a dessert. Of course the other kids had fun with that!

TP, not picking on you here, but plums and dates are not even remotely related botanically or in flavor.

have you had a fresh, non dried date?

They look and taste exactly like plums.

I don't care what the botanists say... They're the same if they look/ taste the same...

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 12:33:32 »

Show Image

imho...

I don't care what the botanists say... They're the same if they look/ taste the same...
... And that is the reason we have so many reports every month on Asian websites regarding "fake/counterfeit" food full of toxic/filler additives. 
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Malphas

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 12:44:14 »
Diet sodas are no worse for you than drinking water. Unless you buy into the unfounded ideas that artificial sweeteners are bad for vaguely bad for you somehow.
I'm not arguing with you but my diet in no way changed, apart from cutting out coke, losing about 10lb in a month.
Coke or Diet/Zero Coke? If you cut out regular Coke then of course, that makes a huge impact. If you cut out sugar-free sodas then that's a very strange result, as diet sodas are generally calorie-free and consist of just 99.99% water then trace amounts of artificial sweetener and flavouring.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 13:26:35 »
i was finally able to make good macarons, now to make some filling for them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 16:23:27 »

Show Image

imho...

... And that is the reason we have so many reports every month on Asian websites regarding "fake/counterfeit" food full of toxic/filler additives. 

have you ever used soap?  did you know it's carcinogenic ? but that's the only damn way to make soap, and lobbyist pay the fda to keep it on the Down low...?

There's poison in EVERY refined product..   

Going through life selectively worrying about these things wouldn't amount to much.. you're exposed to toxins we haven't even discovered yet.

The news is predominantly tabloid in nature... it has to be gripping to sell ad-space..

If you must worry about something... drink water... and eat more vegetables.. that's as much as you can do.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:04:02 »
just 99.99% water then trace amounts of artificial sweetener and flavouring.

Many of the artificial sweeteners (Aspartame, etc) are proven harmful, but possibly worse is the "conditioning" to choose extremely sweet tastes.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:15:35 »
I am stocking up on Doritoes, cheese, salsa and Maltesers for Super Bowl 420 tomorrow.

Unfortunately no cider because I'm working while it's on :(
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:27:46 »

Many of the artificial sweeteners (Aspartame, etc) are proven harmful, but possibly worse is the "conditioning" to choose extremely sweet tastes.

...if you consume a whole bathtub full at once. You would die from hyponatremia (too much water) before you would suffer any ill effects from artificial sweeteners. I agree about learning to eat right though. There is nothing more unnatural than sugar (other than the naturally occurring sugar already contained within a particular food) in the human diet.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 22:24:51 »
I am stocking up on Doritoes, cheese, salsa and Maltesers for Super Bowl 420 tomorrow.

Unfortunately no cider because I'm working while it's on :(

you watch super bowl? i thought europeans only watched soccer.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 15:02:39 »

Yeah as I said in an earlier post I don't really buy the arguments against artificial sweeteners. I've never seen anyone quote a human study showing they were harmful, and I suspect if such a study existed then organisations like the FDA would have no alternative but to ban them overnight. All the studies showing signs of them being carcinogenic, etc. were done by giving massive amounts to rats, and such, which proves nothing where humans and normal amounts are concerned.

Offline ijprest

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 22:10:58 »
I like cracker nuts... basically a peanut that is battered and deep-fried.

Frito-Lay used to make some (in more "American" flavors) under their "Munchies" brand, but I haven't seen them in a while.  I loved the BBQ ones, and I think their cracker-batter was better tasting than the Nagakaya brand pictured here.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 03:01:01 »

Yeah as I said in an earlier post I don't really buy the arguments against artificial sweeteners. I've never seen anyone quote a human study showing they were harmful, and I suspect if such a study existed then organisations like the FDA would have no alternative but to ban them overnight. All the studies showing signs of them being carcinogenic, etc. were done by giving massive amounts to rats, and such, which proves nothing where humans and normal amounts are concerned.
There is strong evidence that artificial sweeteners cause weight gain.  They cause your metabolism to get fubar'd.  The whole point of artificial sweeteners is supposed to be to lose weight, but they can also cause weight gain.  It's probably not an issue though as long as you're not drinking gallons of diet drinks every day, like many Americans seem to do.

Check some of these links out:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=artificial+sweeteners+metabolic
Some of the studies show relationship in humans, others are only in animals, but why risk it?

I still drink artificially sweetened beverages but very rarely.  An example is Monster energy which I now rarely drink when I need a pick me up for an important event, the artificially sweetened ones taste better to me than the real sugar ones, because they make them so sweet it makes me want to puke.  For tea or cooking I only use small amounts of regular sugar, or something like honey or molasses, depending on what it's going into.

I like cracker nuts... basically a peanut that is battered and deep-fried.

Show Image

Frito-Lay used to make some (in more "American" flavors) under their "Munchies" brand, but I haven't seen them in a while.  I loved the BBQ ones, and I think their cracker-batter was better tasting than the Nagakaya brand pictured here.

+1 for Nagaraya,  The hot and spicy is my favorite:

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 14:18:47 »
Well, Lunar New Year just passed and there were a lot of fairs in many Asian shopping centers/Chinatown. Here's a nice sweet that's made during Lunar New years.

I present you: Dragon Beard Candy!

Usually comes in packs of 6. All hand made by elderly Chinese masters!

Starts off with a solid stiff puck of sugar

After some ancient chinese secret magic, it becomes into this:

Add some sesame, brown sugar crumbles, peanuts crumbs, and roll it all up.

Texture:

The texture of the sugar strands melts slowly, unlike cotton candy. The sugar strands are extremely puffy and light, just barely holding the peanut filling in. It's also not overly sweet, so most people let the creamy texture melt a bit in their mouth before chewing on it.  :)

You should also eat it right away as it stiffens overnight. I don't believe I've ever seen pre-packaged dragon beard candy either. Gotta have it fresh! :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 February 2014, 14:22:43 by Zeal »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 14:19:40 »
^^ :eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 15:05:29 »

on the streets, this stuff is dirt cheap..

but you go to a sn00bish restaurant suddenly it's $25 usd per plate of 2 pieces.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 15:31:54 »

on the streets, this stuff is dirt cheap..

but you go to a sn00bish restaurant suddenly it's $25 usd per plate of 2 pieces.
Show Image

I've never seen these sweets sold in a restaurant.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 10:30:28 »

Got some of these. They make a good desk snack!  ;D

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 11:24:03 »
(Attachment Link)

Roasted seaweed? Is that actually a thing?
What next? Roasted lump of compacted algae or something?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 12:51:59 »
(Attachment Link)

Roasted seaweed? Is that actually a thing?
What next? Roasted lump of compacted algae or something?

It's pretty good with rice.  :thumb:

And remember all those sushi rolls you've had? That's just a larger size of roasted seaweed rolled up! :)

Offline travisjason

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 10:23:28 »
I like pistachio's for snacking!

Get Crackin!

Offline Malphas

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:34:42 »
I get fried seaweed with Chinese takeaways; it's tasty.

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 22:12:26 »
I like to snack on peanuts.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 23:44:30 »
Fried mac and cheese in bar form. The perfect snack food for those who like to live hard and fast!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 23:53:23 »
Naan bread. Never can have too much naan  :D
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 00:15:48 »
Naan bread. Never can have too much naan  :D

I've only had Naan at a shoddy curry place at my campus. It always tasted semi-baked and yeasty. Is that the norm?

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 00:46:22 »
hummus and pita bread considered a snack?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 08:19:30 »
I've been eating lots of cookies lately.....

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 08:31:13 »
Pita chips. Best snack food on the planet.

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Lanx

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 09:14:16 »
i've been having most of my stuff "amazon'd" as much as possible, as such i put a lot of things on subscription, if you put 7 items on subscription you get a 15% discount on all items.

since moving to jersey my wife and i have been using kleenex alot, must be the douche-ness or something in the air.

i also put KIND bars on subscription as well

KIND bars are 2bucks at my grocer, never on sale.

with a subscription from amazon i get 12 for 14bucks. (different flavors, different prices)

also you can stack something like toliet paper as subscription, and just send it once every 6 months. (so you meet the 7 item 15% discount)

well i also have amazon prime so i'm really just turned all my shopping there for the 2 day easy shopping.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 09:29:37 »
^^ Yeah I have a ton of S&S things come every month.....even ~40lb bag of dog food.....its about $10 cheaper than the brick and mortar store and we don't have to go get it!

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 09:31:39 »
i just bought some gr8 stuff
cookies, chips, dip n coke
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 07:43:46 »
http://extremefood.com/blairs-death-rain-chips/
That's my new snack addiction.

The jalapeno cheddar has a really good cheese taste as well as being hot, but it's not nearly as hot as the habanero or jolokia versions.

The habanero is the second hottest and has a really rich habanero flavor that is delicious.

Those two are my favourite chips at the moment.
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline Coff_man

• hi.
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 19:32:34 »
It is not really a snack food but I just eat sunflower seeds all the time. My sodium intake is very high on a daily basis.
Also Funyuns.
-QFR w/ mx Blues
-Ducky 9008 G2 w/ mx Red (dyesub ptb/thin?)
-Choc mini w/ mx Black

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:30:20 »

that is the only chips or crisp that matter, and with beer the spiciness would just be painfully good  :rolleyes:
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:32:27 »
Funyuns

Mmmm. I mean, MSG, but who cares they're still MMMMMMMMM.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 15:50:22 »
almonds with dried cranberries are the win.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:00:31 »
Funyuns

Mmmm. I mean, MSG, but who cares they're still MMMMMMMMM.

MSG is a drug.. damn it..

You can have the most bland and tasteless goop ever,  chicken nugget goop..

Add MSG... Mmm mmm.... eat 40 of um.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:27:45 »
Sunflower seeds are really good for snacking, but the saltiness always makes my tongue feel like damaged goods for days after I eat them :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 12:57:06 »
Lately I've been using mixed nuts as a snack food.

Currently I have some  Archer Farms® Raw Mixed Nuts Cashews, Almonds, Pistachio Nuts, Hazelnuts (Filberts) and Walnuts with some wasabi and soy blue diamond almonds mixed in for a kick.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:02:17 »
You can only eat so many before - Constipation -

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:11:18 »
my go to snack food?

and

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:14:48 by tigersharkdude »

Offline Nover

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:13:43 »
SSK, Ducky YOTD

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:15:20 »
Show Image

These are good, although I haven't had any in a while the buffalo flavor is also pretty tasty.

Offline Nover

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:24:05 »
Show Image

These are good, although I haven't had any in a while the buffalo flavor is also pretty tasty.

Yup, the buffalo flavored ones are 2nd on my list.  :)
SSK, Ducky YOTD

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:43:10 »
tp thread is tp thread