Author Topic: [IC] High Resolution, High DPI Display  (Read 20352 times)

Offline DrinkTea

Re: [IC] High Resolution, High DPI Display
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 13:48:52 »
Thanks! If you haven't already, please fill out the interest form.
Also, regarding covers, I'm leaning towards some sort of removable cover that can double as a stand. Because no matter what we use, the screen will still look better if there's no layer over it.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 14:29:40 »
Filled out the form. Can't wait to see where this goes!

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 13:27:59 »
Filled out the form. Can't wait to see where this goes!

Me too! Thanks for your interest.
If any of you who have expressed interest (or haven't) know people you think would be, please let them know. Any referred sales will receive a bounty. Exactly how much is TBD though.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 16:17:20 »
After much reflection and looking at survey results so far, I think we're going to go with an option with no built in stand for the first version. It should be compatible with a wide variety of VESA mounts and tablet stands for travel use. This will also help keep costs manageable for a small run.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the matter. Thanks again!

Offline osi

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 16:29:50 »
After much reflection and looking at survey results so far, I think we're going to go with an option with no built in stand for the first version. It should be compatible with a wide variety of VESA mounts and tablet stands for travel use. This will also help keep costs manageable for a small run.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the matter. Thanks again!

+1 for keeping the costs down. The frequent updates are nice too  :thumb:

Offline graboy

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 19:33:04 »
Neat! Are you a member there? If so, do you think you could link to this thread, since I'm not sure how much forums appreciate a new guy coming in and starting off with a sales pitch. Or I could try. Which forum would it be best to post on do you think?
Sorry, never got back to this, I'm not a registered member there, however I think that community would be very interested in it. I'd recommend that you email an the as it doesn't seem like there's really an appropriate forum there.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:38:56 »
I really, really wish I could pull the cash to grab this, especially if it comes cased. I think ~12 inches is the perfect size for portability, and I would love to have a portable secondary monitor for my laptop. However, I first need to get a new laptop, and $400 is a bit much for a high-school student, eh?

If you could bring it to market for a longer time than just a group buy, then that'd definitely be something I could consider.

This question may have already been answered, but I could really care less: What's the power draw on this. You said it could be powered off of USB, but could you power it from a computer's USB port, or would it have to be from the wall? If it's the former, then this would be the perfect mobile secondary display, but it would be a bit difficult if it had to be wall-powered.

Please ignore my rudeness and ignorance. Again, I'd love to see this out on the open market instead of a group buy scenario for reasons stated above, so I could possibly get my hands on one when I have the money in a couple years.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:43:01 by inteli722 »
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 21:44:47 »
Neat! Are you a member there? If so, do you think you could link to this thread, since I'm not sure how much forums appreciate a new guy coming in and starting off with a sales pitch. Or I could try. Which forum would it be best to post on do you think?
Sorry, never got back to this, I'm not a registered member there, however I think that community would be very interested in it. I'd recommend that you email an the as it doesn't seem like there's really an appropriate forum there.
Yeah, I didn't see one either. I guess I'll give that a try. Not sure who I'd contact though, but I'll look around. Thanks again for the tip!

I really, really wish I could pull the cash to grab this, especially if it comes cased. I think ~12 inches is the perfect size for portability, and I would love to have a portable secondary monitor for my laptop. However, I first need to get a new laptop, and $400 is a bit much for a high-school student, eh?

If you could bring it to market for a longer time than just a group buy, then that'd definitely be something I could consider.

This question may have already been answered, but I could really care less: What's the power draw on this. You said it could be powered off of USB, but could you power it from a computer's USB port, or would it have to be from the wall? If it's the former, then this would be the perfect mobile secondary display, but it would be a bit difficult if it had to be wall-powered.

Please ignore my rudeness and ignorance. Again, I'd love to see this out on the open market instead of a group buy scenario for reasons stated above, so I could possibly get my hands on one when I have the money in a couple years.

Hey, no problem. Total power draw is <10W.  It works, but not at full brightness on a single USB port. However, on USB 3 ports it might work at higher brightness since I think some provide more power. I will check. Also, I want to try it with one of those dual headed USB cables as well. I hope that after the GB we can start selling it.  But we'll see how this goes.
If you can drum up some sales for me from people outside of the forum I'll see what I can do about getting you one at a discount. Same rule applies to everyone here.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 22:18:52 »
Just wanted to get a brief update for anyone who is interested. We're getting ready to have the PCBs made and I'm thinking of selling 'kits' before the full product since we're still getting the final case version worked out.
The kit would contain the board, cable to connect the board to the display (these are hard to find and very expensive if you want just one) and possibly a panel. Alternatively, you could bring your own panel. While this has been tested with one panel, there are more high dpi eDP panels available now and people may want to try those as well.

Thanks again for all of your interest.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 21:31:19 »
Is anything happening with this? :)

Offline brainT

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 10:25:31 »
Is anything happening with this? :)

This. Very interested!

Here's the closest comparable thing out there: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1652  and, to me, the extra couple inches or so would be worth a $100+ price bump over the adafruit screen.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 04:08:19 »
Added to the google docs. Good to see if its still happening, have to see if the OP gets back onboard to this thread.

I would be using this as a monitor to accompany an ITX desktop unit. Will be used as a primary monitor in a mobile scenario, and maybe as a (4th) display when at home. Ideally want a 15+" panel as it will be easier on the eyes while still being compact enough to travel with. A 12" panel would be narrower than a 60% keyboard!!! Pretty squinty for a primary desktop panel if its used without scaling, but thats dependent on how I use the screen. Scaling on OSX is fairly straight forward. I can see myself placing this screen flat on the table in front of me, with my keyboard and mouse placed behind that. Allows me to keep the screen close to me. Otherwise a more conventional screen behind the keyboard layout for desktop usage.

A small screen with High DPI means it ends up getting used close up. Not a screen that can be placed 2-3 feet away. Especially when I am used to using multi-monitor setups with larger pixel pitches to help keep things readable at a distance. It is sold as a screen that is meant to be compact, so this is not a criticism of the intent of this monitor. Next to a laptop, this can be great.

Frequent unplugging will be relevant. A strong mounting for the connector is preferred. The connector is soldered onto the PCB, and thats about all you can do, so a solid mounting for the PCB would be pretty good.

A streamlined and smooth case will be important. I see myself slipping this screen into a bag along with my desktop (or laptop). Exposed screws and sharp edges would be bad news, so something thats slick and clean would be nice. You can imagine slipping this into a laptop bag with the laptop, and the laptop case being utterly destroyed by this screen. Defacing the top surface of a brand new thousand dollar laptop would be blasphemy!

Legs would be helpful, but need to be removable, or foldable for flat carrying of the screen. Even better would be one that is integral with the case (meaning it folds away cleanly), if it does not add to significantly to the thickness. Otherwise its possible to source third party tablet stands or similar.

Absolute thinnness is not essential, if it can satisfy the requirement of a streamlined smooth case. 10mm would be Brilliant, but something about 15mm, maybe up to 20mm thick would be acceptable. Thats about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. 25mm onwards would be acceptable if it had all integral legs and cable storage, but beyond that, I would rather buy a kit and make my own case. Essentially, I want to see any increase in thickness put to good efficient use. A 10mm screen is just as good as a 20mm screen with integral legs.

Plug locations - Something that would allow the cables to plug into the back of the screen would be good. It should have the connector plugged in parallel to the back surface so it doesn't stick out the back, allowing the screen to be placed on a table flat if need be, preferably placed toward the top of the panel so that it tilts nicely if placed flat (and the case is not flat). Don't really want the connector on the outer edges, as that would mean the connector would stick out, and this may be an issue if trying to line up panels next to one another (like next to a laptop).

Thats my take on such a panel, and what would constitute the ideal panel for my uses. Hope that helps.

Oh and this is the "portable" desktop computer this monitor might be used for.

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 July 2014, 04:11:23 by okwchin »

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:51:40 »
Thanks for your interest. It's going slowly, but we're in the process of putting together a kickstarter. I expect we'll have a finalized prototype within a few weeks. The reason for a kickstarter is that the hopefully larger scale will let us do a bit more than having a group buy here. But I see there might be enough interest for a small "test run" if people want an early (but still nice looking and perfectly functional) version.
Anyway, regarding features.
1. The case is acrylic. This is good for weight and cost. We had considered glue, but will now likely have screws that are flush with the case. If costs allow we may consider a version with aluminum for the front and back layers, kind of like some GON designs. The screws will be flush with the case. There will also be a removable "stand" piece so you can prop it up next to a laptop, for example. We've also considered just using one on the many tablet stands available, but we do want to include the "full package". One thing we haven't settled yet is whether or not to have a layer of something, probably clear acrylic, over the panel itself. If people are going to put it in a bag, we would need that or to sell an optional travel protector. I'm inclined to have an exposed panel with an optional protector.
2. The cables will come out parallel to the panel on the back. Right now we're looking at full size displayport but may make a mini version if there is enough demand.
3. I've seen the adafruit display and it's nice but I do think this is better for most uses. As was pointed out, it is somewhat small, even by laptop standards. The case also requires assembly, has screws sticking out and has the PCB exposed. So, probably not great for travel. It also uses a barrel plug for power; the MiniMax is powered through a mini USB cable and can even be powered from a port directly, albeit not at full brightness (though it wasn't dim at all when I tried it).

I hope this answers any questions. I'll check this board more frequently and try to be better about updates. Once again, I'm glad people are interested in this. I think it's a neat product and would love to get it into the hands of people who can enjoy and make great use of it.

Added to the google docs. Good to see if its still happening, have to see if the OP gets back onboard to this thread.

I would be using this as a monitor to accompany an ITX desktop unit. Will be used as a primary monitor in a mobile scenario, and maybe as a (4th) display when at home. Ideally want a 15+" panel as it will be easier on the eyes while still being compact enough to travel with. A 12" panel would be narrower than a 60% keyboard!!! Pretty squinty for a primary desktop panel if its used without scaling, but thats dependent on how I use the screen. Scaling on OSX is fairly straight forward. I can see myself placing this screen flat on the table in front of me, with my keyboard and mouse placed behind that. Allows me to keep the screen close to me. Otherwise a more conventional screen behind the keyboard layout for desktop usage.

A small screen with High DPI means it ends up getting used close up. Not a screen that can be placed 2-3 feet away. Especially when I am used to using multi-monitor setups with larger pixel pitches to help keep things readable at a distance. It is sold as a screen that is meant to be compact, so this is not a criticism of the intent of this monitor. Next to a laptop, this can be great.

Frequent unplugging will be relevant. A strong mounting for the connector is preferred. The connector is soldered onto the PCB, and thats about all you can do, so a solid mounting for the PCB would be pretty good.

A streamlined and smooth case will be important. I see myself slipping this screen into a bag along with my desktop (or laptop). Exposed screws and sharp edges would be bad news, so something thats slick and clean would be nice. You can imagine slipping this into a laptop bag with the laptop, and the laptop case being utterly destroyed by this screen. Defacing the top surface of a brand new thousand dollar laptop would be blasphemy!

Legs would be helpful, but need to be removable, or foldable for flat carrying of the screen. Even better would be one that is integral with the case (meaning it folds away cleanly), if it does not add to significantly to the thickness. Otherwise its possible to source third party tablet stands or similar.

Absolute thinnness is not essential, if it can satisfy the requirement of a streamlined smooth case. 10mm would be Brilliant, but something about 15mm, maybe up to 20mm thick would be acceptable. Thats about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. 25mm onwards would be acceptable if it had all integral legs and cable storage, but beyond that, I would rather buy a kit and make my own case. Essentially, I want to see any increase in thickness put to good efficient use. A 10mm screen is just as good as a 20mm screen with integral legs.

Plug locations - Something that would allow the cables to plug into the back of the screen would be good. It should have the connector plugged in parallel to the back surface so it doesn't stick out the back, allowing the screen to be placed on a table flat if need be, preferably placed toward the top of the panel so that it tilts nicely if placed flat (and the case is not flat). Don't really want the connector on the outer edges, as that would mean the connector would stick out, and this may be an issue if trying to line up panels next to one another (like next to a laptop).

Thats my take on such a panel, and what would constitute the ideal panel for my uses. Hope that helps.

Oh and this is the "portable" desktop computer this monitor might be used for.

Show Image

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 18:35:39 »
Thanks for your interest. It's going slowly, but we're in the process of putting together a kickstarter. I expect we'll have a finalized prototype within a few weeks. The reason for a kickstarter is that the hopefully larger scale will let us do a bit more than having a group buy here. But I see there might be enough interest for a small "test run" if people want an early (but still nice looking and perfectly functional) version.

Have you finished any case prototypes so far? What do you need to do to prototype the case? In January your post said “A case prototype will be ready within two weeks.” – I’m assuming life got in the way?

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 19:17:30 »

Have you finished any case prototypes so far? What do you need to do to prototype the case? In January your post said “A case prototype will be ready within two weeks.” – I’m assuming life got in the way?

Haha. Indeed. We actually do have a prototype, but wasn't fit for public consumption. It's gone through some minor revisions. As is often the case, I have fallen victim to the planning fallacy. I am a grad student so I have a lot of stuff to do. But alas, that's no excuse. I want to get some sweet displays into the hands of cool people!

Offline okwchin

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 04:04:12 »
Anyway, regarding features.
1. The case is acrylic. This is good for weight and cost. We had considered glue, but will now likely have screws that are flush with the case. If costs allow we may consider a version with aluminum for the front and back layers, kind of like some GON designs. The screws will be flush with the case. There will also be a removable "stand" piece so you can prop it up next to a laptop, for example. We've also considered just using one on the many tablet stands available, but we do want to include the "full package". One thing we haven't settled yet is whether or not to have a layer of something, probably clear acrylic, over the panel itself. If people are going to put it in a bag, we would need that or to sell an optional travel protector. I'm inclined to have an exposed panel with an optional protector.
2. The cables will come out parallel to the panel on the back. Right now we're looking at full size displayport but may make a mini version if there is enough demand.
3. I've seen the adafruit display and it's nice but I do think this is better for most uses. As was pointed out, it is somewhat small, even by laptop standards. The case also requires assembly, has screws sticking out and has the PCB exposed. So, probably not great for travel. It also uses a barrel plug for power; the MiniMax is powered through a mini USB cable and can even be powered from a port directly, albeit not at full brightness (though it wasn't dim at all when I tried it).

I hope this answers any questions. I'll check this board more frequently and try to be better about updates. Once again, I'm glad people are interested in this. I think it's a neat product and would love to get it into the hands of people who can enjoy and make great use of it.

1) A screwed together case appeals to be for the ability to be able to re-open if required, however glued panels can look good if done well. Aluminium would look really neat, especially if you can have the screws threaded into the front panel from the back, allowing for that clean look. The other advantage aluminium can also offer (if manufacturing costs allow) is a thinner bezel, both in the x and y axes, but also in the Z axis, meaning you can mill out where the screen fits into the back of the front panel, and you have a nice say 1-2mm thick lip over the screen. Costs I would imagine would blow through the roof if we went that way, unfortunately.

A bare panel for me personally is fine, as this screen will be stored against a flat hard surface. Having acrylic over the screen is structurally a good idea, but the fear is always with optical translucency, especially when it is subject to scratching. (then again, theres always the possibility of scratching the real panel.

2) Full size DP can still work. Either way is fine for me

3) The MiniUSB power source is attractive as it makes it an easily applied unit for any user. I am not sure if I understand USB protocols, but to utilise full power from a high output capable USB port, does it require a data connection? or will most 2A ports happily deliver 2A without a data connection (i.e. 5V and gnd connections only)

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 08:39:23 »
1) Yeah, we want it to be openable for two reasons at least. One is so it's easier for us to fix if there's a problem. The other is that I'm down with people opening up the case and tinkering. Just no warranty if you do that, you know? One of the reasons we're leaning toward Kickstarter or something is that we can have stretch goals that let us start making aluminum versions. But milling is probably out, at least for now. We'd likely go with flat layers cut with a water jet or something.
2) Cool!
3) I don't think it requires a data connection. Do "charging ports" supply 2A? If so I want to test it with one of those. Because that should be enough for full brightness without a wall wart. Also, usb 3.1 promises MORE POWER! But yeah, over regular usb ports it seems to work ok at less than max brightness. Total power consumption should be 10W or less at all times.

1) A screwed together case appeals to be for the ability to be able to re-open if required, however glued panels can look good if done well. Aluminium would look really neat, especially if you can have the screws threaded into the front panel from the back, allowing for that clean look. The other advantage aluminium can also offer (if manufacturing costs allow) is a thinner bezel, both in the x and y axes, but also in the Z axis, meaning you can mill out where the screen fits into the back of the front panel, and you have a nice say 1-2mm thick lip over the screen. Costs I would imagine would blow through the roof if we went that way, unfortunately.

A bare panel for me personally is fine, as this screen will be stored against a flat hard surface. Having acrylic over the screen is structurally a good idea, but the fear is always with optical translucency, especially when it is subject to scratching. (then again, theres always the possibility of scratching the real panel.

2) Full size DP can still work. Either way is fine for me

3) The MiniUSB power source is attractive as it makes it an easily applied unit for any user. I am not sure if I understand USB protocols, but to utilise full power from a high output capable USB port, does it require a data connection? or will most 2A ports happily deliver 2A without a data connection (i.e. 5V and gnd connections only)

Offline okwchin

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 11:05:12 »
For a product non-specific to the keyboard community, I agree that something like kickstarter is an appropriate way to go.

Charging ports, Some provide power all the time, some provide a 2A output, and some do both?

What happens when you use a normal usb3 port and continue to increase brightness, does the screen simply not get any brighter beyond a level of brightness, or does the USB port cut out, and you lose power all together.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 11:29:44 by okwchin »

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:50:10 »
For a product non-specific to the keyboard community, I agree that something like kickstarter is an appropriate way to go.

Charging ports, Some provide power all the time, some provide a 2A output, and some do both?

What happens when you use a normal usb3 port and continue to increase brightness, does the screen simply not get any brighter beyond a level of brightness, or does the USB port cut out, and you lose power all together.

Not sure about the charging ports. It started to flicked when the brightness was turned up too high on a regular port then it went back to normal when I turned it down.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 21:23:24 »
I'd be really interested in something like this.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 09:10:22 »
Wondering if theres any news on this front ? Would still be in the market for something like this.  :D

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 12:09:35 »
We are launching a kickstarter very soon. Stay tuned!

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 23:34:33 »
Awaiting approval from kickstarter!

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 19:47:11 »
Just saw this a few months late. lucky I'm not too late though :))
+1 from me ;D

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 08:48:45 »
And here it is
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/935235616/minimax-the-portable-professional-high-dpi-display

Not sure if this is the best place to post it on the forum or if there's anywhere else. If it's better to post in another part, let me know. And please share!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 10:45:32 »
Heh. A couple of erronous claims on than Kickstarter page.

It claims that standard displays have 72 PPI... yeah, on the first Macintosh back in 1984 yes. The current norm is around 100 PPI.

2560×1700 is not "four times" the resolution than "HD Video". It is 2 times the resolution of 16:9 720p with black bars at the top and bottom. Four times the number of pixels = twice the resolution.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 10:51:50 by Findecanor »

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 10:52:15 »
I didn't write that part, but maybe we should change it. 100 -> 239 is still a pretty big jump. Also, sometimes you've got to exaggerate a little ;-)

Heh. The Kickstarter page says that Standard displays have 72 PPI... eh, on the first Macintosh back in 1984 yes.
The current norm is around 100 PPI.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 22:19:04 »
Looks good to see it come closer to fruition. Do you have a picture of the back of the display? I really want to know how it looks at the back to know how it holds itself up, and to rate how backpack safe it will be.

The clear acrylic? housing looks nice, as far as I can tell in the ironically small photos ;) Maybe I'm getting spoilt for high resolution files ;)

1) Show us its back side :) (can see it a little in the video)

2) How are the connections in the back mounted? Happy if there is sufficient strength in the connector itself, as long as I wont be ripping it off while moving the screen with a stiff DP cable.

3) What direction are the cables in the back. My guess based on the video would be that its in that bottom acrylic block, and faces upwards?

4) What are those lumpy things in the corners and sides of the housing. Looks like rubber feet sticking out, but I suspect its more likely a hole through the case to hold the panels together?

5) Is the display behind a layer of acrylic? or is it open to show off its beauty.

6) How is the display currently being held up. Are there feet/legs? and removable for backpack use? The video seems to suggest thats the case

7) Are the case panels glued together, or screwed together, or other.

8) USB power, whats its minimum amperage supply required to reach full brightness. I recall you mentioned that you didn't get full brightness on a normal USB port 450-500mA?

I'm so excited to see this happen, already joined the campaign.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 October 2014, 22:34:07 by okwchin »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 07:14:48 »
I'm unfamiliar with how Kickstarters work so please bear with me. If I don't choose an option in which I get hardware, is there no way for me to buy the display later? And is the early adopter price cheaper than what I would pay later? I'm intrigued but the price isn't working well with my current budget.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:33:36 »
Looks good to see it come closer to fruition. Do you have a picture of the back of the display? I really want to know how it looks at the back to know how it holds itself up, and to rate how backpack safe it will be.

The clear acrylic? housing looks nice, as far as I can tell in the ironically small photos ;) Maybe I'm getting spoilt for high resolution files ;)

1) Show us its back side :) (can see it a little in the video)

2) How are the connections in the back mounted? Happy if there is sufficient strength in the connector itself, as long as I wont be ripping it off while moving the screen with a stiff DP cable.

3) What direction are the cables in the back. My guess based on the video would be that its in that bottom acrylic block, and faces upwards?

4) What are those lumpy things in the corners and sides of the housing. Looks like rubber feet sticking out, but I suspect its more likely a hole through the case to hold the panels together?

5) Is the display behind a layer of acrylic? or is it open to show off its beauty.

6) How is the display currently being held up. Are there feet/legs? and removable for backpack use? The video seems to suggest thats the case

7) Are the case panels glued together, or screwed together, or other.

8) USB power, whats its minimum amperage supply required to reach full brightness. I recall you mentioned that you didn't get full brightness on a normal USB port 450-500mA?

I'm so excited to see this happen, already joined the campaign.  :thumb:
1. We are making some changes to it. Will update when it's ready.
2. The board in inside another few layers of acrylic. It is secure.
3. They point down. The ribbon cable goes up from the bottom of the panel and then around.
4. Yes, it holds them together. We will have a more elegant solution for the final product.
5. Open.
6. Right now we are using a removable piece to prop it up from behind. There are several other ideas we have, though.
7. We're going to go with screws, most likely, to allow for disassembly. We had originally considered glue, but that has problems.
8. I'm not sure. Over a USB 3 port at least it gets pretty bright with no problems. I will see what it takes for absolute maximum brightness.

I'm unfamiliar with how Kickstarters work so please bear with me. If I don't choose an option in which I get hardware, is there no way for me to buy the display later? And is the early adopter price cheaper than what I would pay later? I'm intrigued but the price isn't working well with my current budget.

If the campaign is successful, I'll order a few extra units to sell. You don't get charged until the end of the campaign anyway. The kickstarter prices are cheaper than what we'd sell it for after the campaign.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:55:48 »
Campaign update for whomever is following this thread. We're almost a third of the way there! Super psyched that it's going well.
But we still have a ways to go and getting the word to as many people as possible is key. If you think the project is cool, could I request people on twitter and facebook to share the campaign?
Thanks! And thanks for supporting the project!

Offline okwchin

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 02:56:12 »
Getting there!

I know I don't want to be talking about this, but what happens as we get closer to the minimum pledge but just miss out? Will there be other ways for this to go ahead?

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 10:38:59 »
Sorry to necro, but as it is obvious, the project failed on kickstarter. And I have other obligations so I can't let it go forward right now.
However, if anyone wants to do anything with this, let me know. I have the PCB design files and information about how stuff works. It'd be nice to see people do stuff with this.