Author Topic: New moderator forum account  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
New moderator forum account
« on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 00:28:45 »
Recently, the moderation team has taken steps to increase discussion before actions are taken.  The goal has been both to increase the objectivity and consistency of the forum's moderation, and to help build consensus among ourselves as to what the forum rules mean and how we enforce them.  To reflect this, we've created this new forum account that will be used for many (though not necessarily all) moderation tasks.  All forum moderators have access to it, and it will only be used to perform actions which have been discussed and agreed upon.

This does not separate us, individually or collectively, from responsibility for our decisions as moderators.  Feel free to PM this account or any of the moderators individually if you have an issue that you would like to discuss.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: New moderator forum account
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 00:53:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 00:55:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Huehue :3

Interesting approach. Will the account be used for locking threads and such? Cause other than that, I'm not sure what else it could be used for.

Edit: Ah, it will be used for removing off-topic posts as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 01:01:47 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 01:03:44 »
Maybe individual moderators have been getting some seriously negative feedback for deleting posts of locking threads.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 01:04:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Huehue :3

Interesting approach. Will the account be used for locking threads and such? Cause other than that, I'm not sure what else it could be used for.

It's probably to meant to avoid accusations of bias, favoritism, and what not.

Similar to how Top Gear has The Stig do the driving for the Power Lap Times.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 01:05:51 »
Maybe individual moderators have been getting some seriously negative feedback for deleting posts of locking threads.

Now they can all hide! :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 01:30:13 »
OR locking threads.  What I meant to say.  Not OF locking threads :D

I wasn't aware that different moderators had different approaches.  Maybe I don't frequent the right (or wrong) areas of GH that much LOL

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 01:49:55 »

I wasn't aware that different moderators had different approaches.  Maybe I don't frequent the right (or wrong) areas of GH that much LOL

Well at least this answers the question that came up the other day about how/if we can know which mod deleted/locked/moved a thread etc.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 02:02:57 »

Well at least this answers the question that came up the other day about how/if we can know which mod deleted/locked/moved a thread etc.

All threads will now be locked by the Moderation Team.

I guess it does allow a central point for querying or contesting thread actions.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 02:14:32 »
oh good another totally pointless move on the part of the mods/admins to further deflect responsibility.

sorry, was that too cynical? maybe there's more than one reason most people don't stick around very long on this board anymore...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:07:12 »
oh good another totally pointless move on the part of the mods/admins to further deflect responsibility.

sorry, was that too cynical? maybe there's more than one reason most people don't stick around very long on this board anymore...

This is so stupid. An anonymous account? For WHAT? So mods can go lock and warn happy without us knowing who did it? So god damn stupid.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:12:29 »

This is so stupid. An anonymous account? For WHAT? So mods can go lock and warn happy without us knowing who did it? So god damn stupid.

I feel the same way. If you're going to lock it, give a reason behind it and stick your name by it.

If the community is saying you're locking too many threads, then you're locking too many threads and either you need to change why you lock threads or consider not being a mod (since it's more than likely best for the community). I don't see this new account as a good thing.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:17:32 »
Let's just sit back and wait for this anonymous account to lock this thread just how they do all threads that are critical to rules and the mod team decisions.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:17:57 »
INB4

this move is disheartening, taking the personal interaction between specific mods isnt the answer.
sell out and eat ass

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:25:01 »
Am I the only one not butthurt by this?  Come on guys, get the mod team a chance.  If you have an issue take it to PM's.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:27:37 »
It's also violating rules of making multiple screen names since this is for the mod whole. They all now have a spare screen name.

Offline regack

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:32:24 »
I have no problems with a single account to perform moderation, but only if there is some ability for nonrepudiation and accountability behind the single-account. 

Regular users shouldn't necessarily be able to see this information, but at some level there should be accountability for the actions of multiple moderators having access to the same account with elevated privileges.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:37:07 »
Am I the only one not butthurt by this?  Come on guys, get the mod team a chance.  If you have an issue take it to PM's.

mods/admins have had like... however long it's been since imav effectively relinquished day-to-day administration of geekhack and, i dont mean to be a TOTAL bummer but not much has changed for the better. i don't think anything has gotten specifically worse except maybe the classifieds and the nature of discussion surrounding keyboards (which is why i get most of my geeky reading from DT and not GH), but every time a new site announcement is made, nothing ever happens.

i really fail to see how this can improve anything. chances are  it will be abandoned like so many other concepts the administration has come up with and then failed to execute or stayed consistent with.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:38:38 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 12:51:42 »
More transparency would be a good thing. I say we hold public trials.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Also, lol :)

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 19:51:04 »
Can I vote to repeal this change? It seems like another way of dodging individual accountability on the part of the moderation team.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 23:17:28 »
Can I vote to repeal this change? It seems like another way of dodging individual accountability on the part of the moderation team.

sell out and eat ass

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 01:40:36 »

no you cannot vote here, geekhack isn't a club. :llama: