Author Topic: Zowie FK 2014 Mouse Unboxing and Review  (Read 54115 times)

Offline Coreda

Zowie FK 2014 Mouse Unboxing and Review
« on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 06:17:10 »
Finally arrived today.

Boxed contents

- Zowie FK w/ gold-plated USB plug
- Pair of extra feet
- Zowie sticker

Specifications

- Avago 3090 sensor with 450/1150/2300dpi and adjustable 125/500/1000hz polling rate
- 5 usuable buttons (7 physical), and 24-step scrollwheel
- 6.6ft USB cable

Appearance

Coming packaged in a low-key white box, the Zowie FK looks nice and sleek with it's minimalist aesthetic (as far as gaming mice go). The 2014 update includes a new IR LED, 24-step scrollwheel, and all-black base, while keeping the attractive yellow scrollwheel and logo.

The finish is a kind of semi-absorbent matte, which quickly begins to collect fingerprints even with freshly washed hands. Trying to rub the marks off with a tissue I found ineffective, whereas a cleaning cloth managed to after much rubbing. Unless you have entirely dry hands if you like a nice even surface this mouse will need a good clean every so often. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

Update: after using for the past couple days the need to constantly rub the surface to remove fingermarks does become mildly annoying. Would have preferred if Zowie used a less absorbent material.

Shape and feel

I bought this mouse to be used with a claw grip and as such it's comfortable enough. In a claw grip my palm isn't touching the mouse yet my fingers can still click the two main buttons as the clickable surface extends back far enough. The side buttons are also high enough not to be touched while gripped.

Hand dimensions: 175x105mm (from base of palm to tip of middle finger, and from side of palm to side of thumb). Holding the camera while posing made it a little tricky to shoot.

For a palm or fingertip gripper this mouse may be a bit narrow to comfortably rest your thumb and pinky finger against. If comfort is an issue I'd find a more palm-friendly shaped mouse.

I would say this mouse seems like it's trying to be both palm-friendly and claw-friendly simultaneously, but I'm unsure how well it succeeds. The highest point of the body is towards the middle, rather than back which feels like it wants your palm closer.

It's also very narrow at it's narrowest point - a mere 53mm. My previous mouse was 59mm, with a convex shape which feels about right. And honestly it may be too narrow to grip comfortably for extended periods.

From the little I've used it I think I'd prefer a slightly wider body, shorter back with a closer-to-the-palm top curve for claw-gripping. All these impressions may change with further use.

Switches, scrollwheel and cord

As for the Huano switches they feel solid yet fairly light, if they are clicked towards the front. Clicking nearer the back, such as in a claw-grip, they are much heavier to click and if used a lot may cause fatigue.

Note: the claw grip seen here is not as far back as I'm referring to above.

The scrollwheel has a rubbery feel, and the 24-steps are smooth and quiet. The middle click feels like one of the main buttons, and is about equal in sound and force.

The cord itself is very good. I'd read about it and can approve. It's a very flexible rubbery cord that is just thick enough. Thumbs up.

Sensor and lift-off distance

After plugging the mouse in I let out a sigh of relief; the mouse tracks well and is entirely angle snapping free. Zowie designed the mouse to work driverless, which is a big plus as some brands require apps to be installed just to change basic settings.

Obligatory paint test in Photoshop. 450, 1150 and 2300dpi. 6/11 sensitivity set in Windows.

The dpi can be changed by clicking a yellow button on the back of the mouse which lights up a different color depending on the setting (Red=450pi, Purple=1150, Blue=2300). The polling rate can also be adjusted by holding down the two side buttons in various combinations before plugging the USB cable in.

The LOD is very low, which I like. Some may find it too low if they are used to moving the mouse slightly tilted upward but I'll take low lift-off over high any day.

Reported lag issue at 450dpi

There have been a few posts written around OCN regarding 'pixel-walk', that is an increased amount of motion required before the cursor moves at this lower dpi, said to be noticeable when making fine movements.

Firstly let me say this does not affect the ability to move the cursor pixel-by-pixel, as it may sound from the posts about this. If anything this would only be noticeable by the truly observant - we're talking sub-millimeter levels here. Frankly if anything there may be just a virtually imperceptible delay when making movements at that dpi, although it has been said on monitors above 96hz the effect is more noticeable.

It may also just be confirmation bias and not even be an issue at all.

Testing skipping with different colored surfaces

Using thick paper unless noted.

Wooden desk - mostly tracks well, but there is occasional skipping.
Glass - fails completely, no movement detected.
Black - fine.
Blue - fine.
Yellow (paper) - fails completely, no movement detected.
Yellow (plastic surface) - fine.
Red (paper) - fails completely, no movement detected.
Red (plastic surface) - fine.
Orange - fine.
Green - fails, barely registers movement.
White (paper and glossy plastic) - fails completely, no movement detected. Sad news for anyone who liked to use paper sheets as a mousepad (like myself, often).
Cream/beige - fails, barely registers movement.

Conclusion

I'll continue using the Zowie for the next week to see if the shape's a keeper. Currently the shape feels a bit awkward and seems like it could cause fatigue, but is by no means bad. The sensor is of course the mouse's main attraction, and is great although I wish it worked with more surfaces.

If you're looking for a superb sensor and all around good mouse the Zowie FK is definitely worth checking out, although I think only you can decide if the shape and switches are right for you.

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2014, 04:38:25 by Coreda »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: Zowie FK 2014 Mouse Unboxing and Review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 18:18:33 »
Love the pics, never thought about getting the FK before but this updated 2014 model looks the goods.  Only problem it looks a little narrow in width but still worth a purchase.

The last pic of your mouse on a Shell Mouse pad, very swish  8) .

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:09:39 »
Love the pics, never thought about getting the FK before but this updated 2014 model looks the goods.  Only problem it looks a little narrow in width but still worth a purchase.

The last pic of your mouse on a Shell Mouse pad, very swish  8) .

Thanks. I guess it just depends how it's held, really. I took the photos as I rarely see such shots with actual hands in mouse reviews, so I just made the review I would have liked to read.

Also thought the Shell mousepad matched the yellow highlights so I added it in, haha.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 20:24:41 »
Nice review!

I still use my EC1, and if it breaks or something I will definitely get another Zowie mouse.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 21:05:37 »
Nice review!

I still use my EC1, and if it breaks or something I will definitely get another Zowie mouse.

ALWAYS get another Zowie, they're worth the money.  Besides it's good to change around the rodents once and awhile so the hand never gets use to one input device.

Offline Martyn.T.Howells

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 15:00:20 »
interesting review  :thumb:
Steelseries 6gv2 MX Black   Filco Majestouch2 TKL MX Blue   Poker II MX Red   HHKB PRO 2

Offline osi

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:06:50 »
Nice review with great pics!

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 16:28:54 »
Really nice pics!

Where did you manage to get the 2014 version?
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Emospence

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 03:43:35 »
Sweet. The new scroll wheel is definitely heaps better
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 06:12:11 »
I didnt think the 2014 version was for sale

Offline Jumpjet

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 10:45:35 »
Great review and lovely pics. I struggle with a number of the decisions made by Zowie here, not least the aesthetics, but there's certainly a special something to the review mouse.

I'm reminds me of the brilliant/garbage Steelseries Sensei. It has a similar shape midway between a claw and a palmer. It took weeks for my hand to stop aching when using it.  Right now I'm using a Logitech G700s, and after a couple of days of getting used to the shape and materials used, it's possibly my favourite mouse yet, and I'm generally antagonistic to Logitech.

The out-of-the-box-great award still goes to the Rokkat Kone. Well made and great ergonomics...pity it's aimed squarely at 12 year olds ;-)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:16:06 »
Really nice pics!

Found a little place in Australia that emailed me and said they were getting them in stock. I think there is one on eBay, too. Seems like it will be awhile before they trickle out to most vendors.

Also, little update: haven't been using it as extensively due to putting together a new system, but the single most annoying thing about the mouse has become the absorbent matte surface. Seriously, it's difficult to keep an even finish. I do notice the occasional cramp as well when stretching my hands, but nothing to complain about   :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:23:52 by Coreda »

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:31:09 »
Really nice pics!

Found a little place in Australia that emailed me and said they were getting them in stock. I think there is one on eBay, too. Seems like it will be awhile before they trickle out to most vendors.

Also, little update: haven't been using it as extensively due to putting together a new system, but the single most annoying thing about the mouse has become the absorbent matte surface. Seriously, it's difficult to keep an even finish. I do notice the occasional cramp as well when stretching my hands, but nothing to complain about   :D

I think this is the only time I've been jealous of someone living in Australia (when it comes to shopping)! Nice find-- I don't think they are selling the 2014 versions in the USA yet.

My mouse gets all greasy in the same way, that's definitely the only downside I've found as well!

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 11:30:55 »
I have the previous iteration of this mouse and love it. It is the perfect shape for my hand. I've never noticed fingerprints on my mouse, though I'm pretty good about washing my hands before I jump on my computer. Would recommend this mouse to anyone (depending on their grip)!

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 11:39:32 »
I also have an FK. I really like it. For me the shape of the EC1 (and Deathadder) works out better, but this is my back up mouse and definitely find it comfortable to use and it performs great. While the mouse is reasonably long in lenght, the main thing I did not like about it (If I had to say one bad thing about it) is how low the mouse is.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 19:05:30 »
While the mouse is reasonably long in lenght, the main thing I did not like about it (If I had to say one bad thing about it) is how low the mouse is.

My feeling exactly.  They should of copied the WMO and made it slightly larger to accommodate more people, then they would have THE perfect mouse ever developed  :thumb: .

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 19:32:42 »
While the mouse is reasonably long in lenght, the main thing I did not like about it (If I had to say one bad thing about it) is how low the mouse is.

My feeling exactly.  They should of copied the WMO and made it slightly larger to accommodate more people, then they would have THE perfect mouse ever developed  :thumb: .

Yea, that's the reason I didn't opt for the FK myself.
My impression of the FK (and mouses like that) is that it's made for midgets.
While, I understand you are supposed to claw the FK, I wished they adopted two versions like the ec series.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 20:09:23 »
My impression of the FK (and mouses like that) is that it's made for midgets.

Amazing...... great minds think alike  ;) .

Offline Coreda

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 17:32:34 »
Well this is most disappointing... the surface of the mouse has begun peeling in several spots after only a few weeks of use.

In a couple of places on the body of the mouse near the back there are ~1mm flaps of surface that have started to peel, while at the very back lip of the mouse a small line has peeled off.

As mentioned before the surface was my only dislike of the FK, but I certainly wasn't expecting this for a type of relatively high-end mouse.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 March 2014, 17:34:18 by Coreda »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 19:40:58 »
Well this is most disappointing... the surface of the mouse has begun peeling in several spots after only a few weeks of use.

In a couple of places on the body of the mouse near the back there are ~1mm flaps of surface that have started to peel, while at the very back lip of the mouse a small line has peeled off.

Bloody hell.  It sounds like the first version of Kone I had bought a couple of years ago.  Same thing, bits started peeling off like it was sun-burnt and the skin was falling off to reveal a rough surface of plastic.  Shame they decided to go like Razer and produce poor quality devices lacking any type of longevity.  If I was you do an INSTANT RMA with Zowie and show their product up close to them.

They should be ashamed to produce such disgusting cheapness and expecting no one would notice  >:( .

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 20:22:20 »
Not to beat a dead horse but the Zowie CL also uses the same coating as the FK.
Yep, you guessed it. The CL has numerous reports (including, from yours truly) of the coating peeling off after very light usage after a few days ASIDE from numerous other quality issues.
I had to RMA both of my Zowie CL's that I bought at the same time but from different vendors. That really peeved me off.

The coating issue is something that Zowie has acknowledged and you should be able to get a hassle free RMA. You still have pay for one way shipping though.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 06:44:17 »
The coating issue is something that Zowie has acknowledged and you should be able to get a hassle free RMA. You still have pay for one way shipping though.

If the FK's are known for this issue (now that they are becoming more widely available) I'm still concerned I'll just get another with the same issue. Isn't it a flaw in the materials used, or do you think it was just a bad batch?

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 15:09:24 »

If the FK's are known for this issue (now that they are becoming more widely available) I'm still concerned I'll just get another with the same issue. Isn't it a flaw in the materials used, or do you think it was just a bad batch?

My Zowie FK 2013 gets all greasy looking but I haven't experienced any peeling of plastic. It definitely sounds like a failure to me.

Offline Doerri

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 06:22:28 »
I'm a left-handed player, but with default button-position (left and right click not switched).

- Can I enable all 4 side-buttons, or just the left/right pair?
- If I enable the right side buttons, are the mouse buttons switched (left = right...)?

With Zowie AM/FK this was a huge problem, maybe there are some changes in the 2014 model?

Would be thankful for a reply!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 06:30:26 »
Thank you very much for the review, it was a very interesting reading.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:24:15 »
I'm a left-handed player, but with default button-position (left and right click not switched).

- If I enable the right side buttons, are the mouse buttons switched (left = right...)?

With Zowie AM/FK this was a huge problem, maybe there are some changes in the 2014 model?

Only the side buttons on one side can be enabled at a time, depending on whether you have left or right hand set.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:32:13 »
I've really like my Zowie, but recently I've had a problem with it.

When I use the scroll wheel to scroll down, it is really scratchy and kind of sticks.

I think I'm gonna take apart the mouse and try to lube whatever is causing this friction.

Offline Doerri

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:51:17 »
Are the left and right mouse button also switched after turning the mouse to lefthand mode (right sidebuttons enabled) ? So right-click = left-click?

Only the side buttons on one side can be enabled at a time, depending on whether you have left or right hand set.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 10:25:21 »
Are the left and right mouse button also switched after turning the mouse to lefthand mode (right sidebuttons enabled) ? So right-click = left-click?

Yes, it switches to the right side buttons and switches LMB and RMB.

Offline Doerri

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:19:53 »
Thank you man :)

Thats sad, so the FK 2014 is still no choice for me :(

Offline divito

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 20:02:56 »
Looks like a 1.1 with upgraded internals. Meh.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 00:56:34 »
Looks like a 1.1 with upgraded internals. Meh.

that's exactly why many users like it ;p
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 11:16:38 »
Thank you man :)

Thats sad, so the FK 2014 is still no choice for me :(

You want it so that LMB is still on the left, but the right side buttons are enabled? I just got this config working by switching to left hand mode (which enables the right side buttons) and then switching LMB and RMB in Windows mouse settings.

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:46:24 »
Just received this mouse a couple of days ago. Is anyone else getting squeaks on the LMB? It's annoying lol

Everything is else perfect.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 07:40:48 »
RMA arrived today (Zowie were out of new stock for a long time until a few days ago). Will update in the coming weeks if I notice the same peeling issue.

From what they told me they are aware of a small percentage of the first batch of units having this issue. Fingers crossed I won't experience the same thing again.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 09:47:07 »
Just received this mouse a couple of days ago. Is anyone else getting squeaks on the LMB? It's annoying lol

Everything is else perfect.

I haven't had any issues with squeaking.

RMA arrived today (Zowie were out of new stock for a long time until a few days ago). Will update in the coming weeks if I notice the same peeling issue.

From what they told me they are aware of a small percentage of the first batch of units having this issue. Fingers crossed I won't experience the same thing again.

I've had mine for a month now and haven't had any peeling issues, hopefully your new one won't either.

Is the FK '14 label on the original box a sticker? I didn't have one on mine, but it is definitely the 2014 version. Does your new one say FK '14?

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 April 2014, 09:48:47 by neunelfer »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:18:20 »

I've had mine for a month now and haven't had any peeling issues, hopefully your new one won't either.

Is the FK '14 label on the original box a sticker? I didn't have one on mine, but it is definitely the 2014 version. Does your new one say FK '14?

It seems for the later units the sticker is no longer used. First thing I noticed as well.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 10:22:41 »
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I wonder if that has any correlation to being a good batch/bad batch.

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 08:45:40 »
I've been using one for about 6mo now. What exactly does the "2014" edition change?

Offline Coreda

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 20:12:05 »
I've been using one for about 6mo now. What exactly does the "2014" edition change?

From the first paragraph of the review:

The 2014 update includes a new IR LED [sensor], 24-step scrollwheel, and all-black base, while keeping the attractive yellow scrollwheel and logo.

So essentially they made the sensor LED invisible (and improving the accuracy on more surfaces, apparently), and gave it an increased number of scrollwheel steps, the previous version had 16-steps IIRC.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 April 2014, 20:15:25 by Coreda »

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 22:34:23 »
The bottom of the mouse is also black instead of yellow.

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 18:25:06 »
Hey Coreda, what camera/setup are you using for the pictures? Love the look.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 03:52:11 »

Glad you like them. Nothing fancy, a Canon 300D, and sheets of white paper. Sunlight from a window was filtered through a diffuser for the lighting and Photoshop was then used to adjust the curves and color for consistency.

For comparison the photos from the review of the Poker board were photographed with a bit more light, so I could lower the ISO for clearer results.

Offline ajunakey

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 19:20:10 »

Glad you like them. Nothing fancy, a Canon 300D, and sheets of white paper. Sunlight from a window was filtered through a diffuser for the lighting and Photoshop was then used to adjust the curves and color for consistency.

For comparison the photos from the review of the Poker board were photographed with a bit more light, so I could lower the ISO for clearer results.

ah thanks. The Poker photos looks pretty sweet and crisp too.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 11:43:17 »
Nice review!

ALWAYS get another Zowie, they're worth the money.  Besides it's good to change around the rodents once and awhile so the hand never gets use to one input device.

Yeah I just got an EC1 eVo and love it! I plan on staying w Zowie.

Nice review and pics man!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 14:35:26 »
Just want to throw in another data point - I bought this mouse on Feb 20th (according to Amazon) and the surface under the right button has started to flake.  Sent a support request to Zowie and we'll see what happens.

It's a shame because I like this mouse even more than the MX518 it replaced which I already thought was pretty great.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 00:10:54 »
Just want to throw in another data point - I bought this mouse on Feb 20th (according to Amazon) and the surface under the right button has started to flake.  Sent a support request to Zowie and we'll see what happens.

It's a shame because I like this mouse even more than the MX518 it replaced which I already thought was pretty great.

They recently made an official acknowledgment of the issue, and recommended returning models that have the issue to the place of purchase if possible. I know of one user who hadn't had success contacting Zowie through their RMA process, so it may be another option if there's no response.

I have a tiny flap now on the back of my new Zowie FK after a couple weeks of use, so I'm beginning to expect the peeling is inherent to the type of coating Zowie used. After the cost involved with the whole process I was hoping it may have been different, but I've just had to accept it. Most matte surface mice apparently share similar coatings, but it did come as a surprise to several how fickle the coating on the FK can be  :rolleyes:

It's a great mouse otherwise, and I'll continue to check back in case anything major happens, but I'm not too concerned.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 00:40:46 »
Sigh.
It only took them 6 months.

Offline hehenri

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 14:35:09 »
Nice review!

Have you had any problems with this mouse?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 10:26:24 »
Thanks for the detailed review!

I am tempted to buy one now :)