Author Topic: Information on G80-5000 replacement PCBs.  (Read 5492 times)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Information on G80-5000 replacement PCBs.
« on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:04:43 »
I've spotted these replacement 5000 PCBs a few times before. The only actual information I could find on them was from Sixty. He said :
Sometime in 2006 some Korean guys re-created the PCB for the rare Cherry G80-5000, because US Layout versions were nearly impossible to find.
Also found this : http://curio.egloos.com/2139078

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the files for these were made available? I would love to be able to get some.

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Re: Information on G80-5000 replacement PCBs.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 16:02:24 »
Believe they were from OTD and like you said 2006

I would be interested in getting them too, so hopefully someone can find them or knows more

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 18:41:10 »
Does nobody have any info on these? :'(
github

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 19:00:55 »
Could a plate and case be made also? That would be so sweet

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 19:02:39 »
Let's make a GH5000!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 19:04:37 »
Could a plate and case be made also? That would be so sweet
The 5000 case is already perfect, there's no need to make another. Plate.. maybe.. but I love PCB mount. I really am just looking for info on these PCBs, as I want to turn my HAMPO into an ANSI 5000.

Let's make a GH5000!
Very ambitious :)) Get yourself a G80-5000 and open it up.. then you'll realise why it's ambitious.
github

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 01:13:57 »
An issue I see is with connecting the two halves. Those ball joints IBM uses and that hinge cherry has aren't cheap, last I checked.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be that expensive to just make one, depending on case construction of course.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 01:40:23 »
Doesn't the ergodox kinda do what the G80-5000 does though?  I can't really complain since I have a G80-5000 myself, but...

Who am I kidding, I'd buy a GH5000 anyways.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 02:49:44 »
Doesn't the ergodox kinda do what the G80-5000 does though?  I can't really complain since I have a G80-5000 myself, but...

Who am I kidding, I'd buy a GH5000 anyways.

Unstaggered columns, ew. I'd totally buy an ergodox if they made one with the standard stagger.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 02:56:40 »
Really Nice,i like the PCB may dark blue colors looks better like filco :))

Unstaggered columns, ew. I'd totally buy an ergodox if they made one with the standard stagger.
how to symm sgg?
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 February 2014, 02:58:13 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 07:23:48 »
I don't see the GH5000 happening, but I'd be totally in for a few

getting spacebars for the keyboards tho.....IIRC, that mould is MIA

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 20:36:28 »

Ugh I wouldn't.

Anyway, it's been made. Some koreans copied the ergodox design but changed it to have staggered layout shortly after it was released. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 20:43:14 »
So I opened up my 5000. The two PCBs that the switches mount on to have no components/microcontrollers etc. They only have holes for switches and diodes. Those two PCBs then connect by cable to a third PCB which has the controller etc.

Since the two switch-PCBs are so simple it should be pretty easy to just remake them but in ANSI layout. I'll see if I can do it. I've never touched a PCB cad program before though.

I don't think remaking the 5000 as a GH5000 is a good idea. For me, the best part is the case. It would be pretty damn hard to improve upon it in any way imo.
github

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:00:34 »
So I opened up my 5000. The two PCBs that the switches mount on to have no components/microcontrollers etc. They only have holes for switches and diodes. Those two PCBs then connect by cable to a third PCB which has the controller etc.

Since the two switch-PCBs are so simple it should be pretty easy to just remake them but in ANSI layout. I'll see if I can do it. I've never touched a PCB cad program before though.

I don't think remaking the 5000 as a GH5000 is a good idea. For me, the best part is the case. It would be pretty damn hard to improve upon it in any way imo.

I got to see a 5000 once, and it was a little floppy. I think cherry can make sturdier cases.

That said, the case is the real winner in any of these designs. The way the two halves connect and the adjustability that it brings is what makes these keyborads so great and expensive (even compared with the ergodox)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:09:50 »
I got to see a 5000 once, and it was a little floppy. I think cherry can make sturdier cases.

That said, the case is the real winner in any of these designs. The way the two halves connect and the adjustability that it brings is what makes these keyborads so great and expensive (even compared with the ergodox)
When I first took mine out of box and it started flopping about I was very disappointed.. Then I put the feet up and realised how effective they are. I find it's incredibly sturdy. Even when I push down hard on the wrist rests there's barely any flex/movement. I've been using it in the most split + most tilted position. It's even sturdier in the other positions..
github

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:10:44 »

Ugh I wouldn't.

Anyway, it's been made. Some koreans copied the ergodox design but changed it to have staggered layout shortly after it was released. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

I have to see that!

Honestly I'd love to get behind the ED but I don't get along with unusual layouts. I could get used to them but I I use my laptop way too much and it always screws me up.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:31:40 »
Honestly I'd love to get behind the ED but I don't get along with unusual layouts. I could get used to them but I I use my laptop way too much and it always screws me up.
That's another great thing about the 5000. The layout's the same.. It's only your hand position that's changing, so it doesn't take long at all to get used to the board.
github

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 22:16:12 »
That's another great thing about the 5000. The layout's the same.. It's only your hand position that's changing, so it doesn't take long at all to get used to the board.

Its what has always attracted me to them, I used a Microsoft Natural for about a decade so I have no problem moving between staggered ergo boards and normal layouts.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 21:17:48 »
Dimensions of the left hand PCB have been measured and made in to a DXF file. Now I just need to do the same for the right hand PCB, then put in all the switch holes and copy the circuitry.

github

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 21:54:57 »
Dimensions of the left hand PCB have been measured and made in to a DXF file. Now I just need to do the same for the right hand PCB, then put in all the switch holes and copy the circuitry.

Show Image

You sir, are a legend. How hard do you think it would be to replace the controller PCB with something ATMEGA  based? I want to make one of these things.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 21:58:04 »

Show Image

Sweet! I'm thinking of buying a set of PCBs when its finished and make some kind of case for it

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:02:30 »

Show Image

You sir, are a legend. How hard do you think it would be to replace the controller PCB with something ATMEGA  based? I want to make one of these things.
I have no idea, sorry. I'm no good with electronics/PCB design, which is why I'm pretty much just copying the the two Cherry PCBs and adapting them to ANSI.

Maybe someone else could answer this question though. Here are pictures of the two PCBs. They're one sided. Most switches have diodes inside, but for the ones that don't have them inside, the diodes are placed elsewhere on the board. The two switch-PCBsonly have diodes and switches. One of them has 3 LEDs also.

And also a pic of the controller board :

Sweet! I'm thinking of buying a set of PCBs when its finished and make some kind of case for it

Just bare in mind these PCBs will be USELESS (THEY WILL NOT FUNCTION WHATSOEVER) without a seperate controller board. Unless someone designs one (or maybe the teensy could work) you won't be able to put these into use unless you own a 5000.

github

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:07:37 »
And a closeup of the pinouts. The two holes circled red are connected together with a jumper wire that goes through to the other side of the PCB. Not sure why..

github

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:30:54 »
And a closeup of the pinouts. The two holes circled red are connected together with a jumper wire that goes through to the other side of the PCB. Not sure why..

Cherry just does that for whatever reason.

Actually: you should check if the boards aren't actually 2 layer. Cherry on a lot of their other boards will have the top layer be only groubd plane, and they'll have a signle ground jumper (taht looks a lot like that) to connect them. No idea why they do this, but I'm sure they have their reason.

The KB PCB has the LEDs but the current limiting resistors for them are on the controller.

Making a teesny control this would be really easy: just feed the matrix to the correct pins and install a firmware. You can even connect the Lock lights (with resistor), just make sure the firmware you pick supports them. I dont wire up lock lights on the KBs I make, but others might want them.

Other than that, we'd need something to do with the spacebars. hmm.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:32:57 »

Cherry just does that for whatever reason.

Actually: you should check if the boards aren't actually 2 layer. Cherry on a lot of their other boards will have the top layer be only groubd plane, and they'll have a signle ground jumper (taht looks a lot like that) to connect them. No idea why they do this, but I'm sure they have their reason.

The KB PCB has the LEDs but the current limiting resistors for them are on the controller.

Making a teesny control this would be really easy: just feed the matrix to the correct pins and install a firmware. You can even connect the Lock lights (with resistor), just make sure the firmware you pick supports them. I dont wire up lock lights on the KBs I make, but others might want them.

Other than that, we'd need something to do with the spacebars. hmm.

Wow that sounds nice! We can always try to cast a spacebar if all else fails :))

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:33:00 »
Sweet, we need some PCB experts up on this!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:50:39 »
Spacebars are worrying but maybe we could get creative with that bottom row and use 2.75 keys instead.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:56:11 »
Wrong size spacebar>no spacebar

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:59:17 »
You're right about the ground plane DV. I wouldn't have noticed that. That jumper wire solders onto the top side in one place. Good to know the teensy could be used for something like this.
github

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 23:00:08 »
Looks like we could use 2.75 spacebars with a 1.25 mod to fill in the gaps, that would work if I'm judging the key sizes correctly.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 23:02:21 »
Looks like we could use 2.75 spacebars with a 1.25 mod to fill in the gaps, that would work if I'm judging the key sizes correctly.
The spacebars are 3.5x each and extend to about 4.5x
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2014, 23:04:18 by Photekq »
github

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 23:17:24 »
The spacebars are 3.5x each and extend to about 4.5x

Oh I forgot about the extension, sneaky Cherry strikes again. Damn I want an OG one even more now.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:43:59 »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:51:49 »
Looks good bueller. Would love to see that on a ergodox-type board.
github

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:58:02 »
Phototekq, how often do you use the part of the spacebar that extends outwards past the PCB?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 01:00:02 »
Phototekq, how often do you use the part of the spacebar that extends outwards past the PCB?
I use it all the time. I don't have extended fully though. Each spacebar has 4 notches. I have them extended 2 notches.
github

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 01:04:27 »
I use it all the time. I don't have extended fully though. Each spacebar has 4 notches. I have them extended 2 notches.

Yeah this is something I'm worried about with the layout I've knocked up, the spacebar splits right where I would imagine my thumbs landing. Starting to think if an ergodox type layout was done we'd need to set the spacebar further inward.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 01:19:56 »
For me my L thumb likes to go under V and R thumb to N, so the layout is good for me. But for people with bigger hands there is going to be an issue. Maybe we can make DIY bars with stems moved around?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 01:23:03 »
If we wanted to make it not-fully-closeable, we could have the spacebars just stick past the edge a little.

And for the people that want it to be fully closeable, they can just put on a smaller spacebar key.

Just a thought.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 01:28:33 »
If we wanted to make it not-fully-closeable, we could have the spacebars just stick past the edge a little.

And for the people that want it to be fully closeable, they can just put on a smaller spacebar key.

Just a thought.

Thats what I was thinking. But for you people who already have G80-5K's, you don;t need to worry about anything :'(

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 13:29:07 »
Show Image

Thoughts?

Keyboard Editor Layout

keep it winkeyless! :p

nice pic bueller

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 05:13:15 »
Show Image

Thoughts?

Keyboard Editor Layout

keep it winkeyless! :p

nice pic bueller

+1 My exact same thoughts. The reason why Cherry moved those Win/Context keys away from the bottom row wasn't for an reasons apart from:
    * preventing accidental key presses of those two sorts.
     * retaining some sense of bigger keys for the bottom row. I guess this ties in the same formality as with the rest of the older Cherry boards and their cross compatibility. It was really none other than retaining the same length.

Furthermore in the Windows(TM) 95 version, those Win/Context keys have MX super blacks to furthermore prevent accidental actuations. I personally do not use Win/Context keys much and I would rather see them elsewhere. This was why ErgoPlus was designed in such a way.

HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。