Author Topic: [FS] Keyboard mats for sale - EPDM heavy roofing material  (Read 11725 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • weird funny old guy
[FS] Keyboard mats for sale - EPDM heavy roofing material
« on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:16:49 »
I procured some heavy-duty EPDM roofing material to cut for keyboard mats.

This is the thickest, 60-mil variety, much thicker than similar materials such as pond liner or such that you get at Home Depot. You can see in the side photo that it is thicker than a dime or a cent, about as thick as a nickel, and slightly thinner than a quarter. This material is basically similar to an inner tube, but many times thicker.

This mat is about 6" x 18" but if you specify another size I will cut it for you.

$10 via Paypal "merchandise" including postage via US Post Office domestic only. I could ship international but it is surprisingly heavy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 19:27:23 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: [FS] Keyboard mats for sale - EPDM heavy roofing material
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 19:22:20 »
Bump. These things are kind of ugly but definitely bad-ass.

Your keyboard feels very solid sitting on one.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline khaangaaroo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 19:29:38 »
Just an idea, someone should grab one of these and pair it with the bare QFR here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54030.msg1216431#msg1216431
Solid typing (like having an aluminum case) on the cheap :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 19:32:59 »
I'd like one of these fohat.digs.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 19:35:29 »
I'll take one
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 19:37:32 »
sorry fohat, but what is the use of the mat? It's just to put underneath the keyboard, right? Or does it have any special uses?

EG I have tried different types of plastic and paper and cloth underneath my Model Ms and Fs and they still make noise. But the styrofoam feet mod I told you about seemed to dampen noise a bit more than other materials. Since I do not have rubber, silicon or your EPDM mat, I have not tried enough materials and can't draw any conclusions.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 07:00:55 »
sorry fohat, but what is the use of the mat? It's just to put underneath the keyboard, right? Or does it have any special uses?

EG I have tried different types of plastic and paper and cloth underneath my Model Ms and Fs and they still make noise. But the styrofoam feet mod I told you about seemed to dampen noise a bit more than other materials. Since I do not have rubber, silicon or your EPDM mat, I have not tried enough materials and can't draw any conclusions.

Sound propagates in different ways. Dampening the keys themselves is one issue, isolating the body of the keyboard itself from its environment is something else. Imagine the loudspeaker of your sound system sitting on its shelf, or wherever - what does it rest on?

The keyboard vibrates, and if there is a hard intersection between the keyboard and the desk, that surface will act as a sounding board, too.

A folded towel under the keyboard may be the most effective sound dampener, but is kind of goofy both in look and feel.

If you like solidity (and Model M/F users surely do) then you want the keyboard to feel firm and secure while you are striking it. The shelf liner mats are probably very good at dampening, come in a variety of colors, and are cheap and lightweight. But they have a good deal of cushioning and "give" as they are being pummeled. This could be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your opinion.

These thick dense heavy rubber mats provide a firm and solid base, but also insulate and isolate between keyboard and deck. And they have the benefit of preventing any movement or slippage, too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 07:28:01 »
These thick dense heavy rubber mats provide a firm and solid base, but also insulate and isolate between keyboard and deck. And they have the benefit of preventing any movement or slippage, too.

This would probably be great for HHKB users too

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 09:41:21 »

Sound propagates in different ways. Dampening the keys themselves is one issue, isolating the body of the keyboard itself from its environment is something else. Imagine the loudspeaker of your sound system sitting on its shelf, or wherever - what does it rest on?

The keyboard vibrates, and if there is a hard intersection between the keyboard and the desk, that surface will act as a sounding board, too.

A folded towel under the keyboard may be the most effective sound dampener, but is kind of goofy both in look and feel.

If you like solidity (and Model M/F users surely do) then you want the keyboard to feel firm and secure while you are striking it. The shelf liner mats are probably very good at dampening, come in a variety of colors, and are cheap and lightweight. But they have a good deal of cushioning and "give" as they are being pummeled. This could be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your opinion.

Hmm… it’s called 60-mil EPDM Roofing Material, right?

Due to weight, I think I had better look for it locally. But you really had me laughing at your goofy towel mention, fohat. You see, a red daffy towel was one of the first choices I made when using a Model M with my desk, and I quickly gave it up when visitors to my office made some comments about a big red flag dealing with a loony person like me.

It didn’t help that I actually had daffy on it.

(It was some Daffy Duck/ Looney Tunes towel that wasn’t supposed to be used anymore. And since I bought the towel god knows how long ago in Thailand, it obviously is a knock-off and I would probably have been arrested trying to bring it into the United States.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:04:14 »
This is a sneaky type of bump.

I sold several of these but nobody has ever reviewed or responded about whether they liked them.

Mine has been on my desk for a few months now, and I still think that it is great.

I have a few more, I will cut to size if you want.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:08:22 »
I sold several of these but nobody has ever reviewed or responded about whether they liked them.

Ah I should've said something before. It's one of those things, I put mine down on my desk at work and was like....man I'm really liking this and it just kind of became the standard thing I used. I've moved it to my home setup and I have a tekmat at work but I really like the EDPM mat. It's really grippy so lighter keyboards don't slide around on it. It really helps with the noise too. I think previously people thought I was shooting a machine gun when talking on Skype with my SSK and KMAC; I got a lot of complaints to switch to a linear board. Now people think I'm using Blues.

Edit: I should also say I have a mat sized to fit an SSK.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:12:16 by CPTBadAss »

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:46:32 »
I'll take a 6"x14" for my KBT Race S. My ikea table is somewhat uneven and destroyed from years of use. Let me know if I should PM you or you'll PM me.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:52:11 »
Oh,  sorry. Bought one of these a while back. It doesn't actually look that bad, in fact it looks pretty sweet. It does a great job of keeping the board and place and dampening the sound
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 09:45:02 »
Sadly like most things I buy it's in a box somewhere, but fohat shipped it super fast! Great seller here.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 09:53:50 »
This picture is missing a date

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 11:01:07 »
This picture is missing a date

I necroed my own thread, partially for feedback but mostly to try to make a few more sales, I will be honest.

What is the deal with all this stuff like dates?

Is it because people use photos that are not their own?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 11:02:32 »

Yes, that's how I understood it. So the seller can show the actual item and that they own it.

Offline DarSee

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 13:39:10 »
I want one. 

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 14:41:20 »
I'd like to buy one to see what it's like. PM your PayPal e-mail address?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 08:22:39 »
Thanks for the interest.

I have enough material left for a few more. This is an industrial product and I am hoping to get another piece in a week or 2.

I cut each one to size, so send me a PM if you want one, along with the size in inches (or centimeters).

Also, I prefer to be paid as "goods" to keep Paypal off my back (and since that is what it actually is, anyway). If you want to help me with the fee of 3% + $0.30 that is welcome, and if you do send the payment as a "gift" be sure to include your mailing address because Paypal does not provide it to the recipient (who sends money as a gift to a stranger, right?).

Thanks, Harry

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 May 2014, 10:38:17 by fohat.digs »

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 12:28:51 »

Yes, that's how I understood it. So the seller can show the actual item and that they own it.

Here you go, fohat, giving your thread some credibility

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 12:47:25 »

Here you go, fohat, giving your thread some credibility

Well thanks! That does make a tremendous difference.

Most people seem to want a mat the exact size of their keyboard, so that it does not show.

However, a couple of people have wanted it 1/2" bigger, each way, so that 1/4" shows all the way around.

Either way, the keyboard will not move much under normal typing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 May 2014, 14:36:03 by fohat.digs »

Offline DarSee

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 15:12:52 »
Got it. 

Love it!

Gives my keyboard a much more satisfying sound and stable feel. 
 :thumb:

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:40:25 »
Received it today. Doesn't do much sound dampening for me since I'm using a soft MX brown, but the mat is a nice material and will protect the bottom of my keyboard from my messed up desk surface. It also doesn't slide around much, so it's pretty good for that too. Thanks, OP.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 01:25:03 »
Do you use the feet on the keyboard with this fohat? It seems like it would make the most difference if the entire thing was flat against it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 04:12:34 »

If you are the type of person who is trying to reduce typing noise, a mat can definitely be a worthwhile option.

The effect in typing noise can be really large, but is also dependent on the material of your desk. For exmaple, on my wooden desk, there is a lot of noise that is created not just from the keyboard, but from my desk making noise from the vibration. Using some sort of mat makes a pretty big difference.

You can check this by putting your keyboard on the mousemat for a second. Chances are the sound will be dampened quite a bit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 May 2014, 04:16:24 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 16:04:41 »
Do you use the feet on the keyboard with this fohat? It seems like it would make the most difference if the entire thing was flat against it.

I never use feet, but a lot of people do.

Previously, I used the soft waffle-like rubber drawer liners, which are quite different. They would have compressed under the point loading of the feet.

This material is very dense and heavy, and it will hardly compress at all.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 22:48:02 »
I'm more interested if maybe adding some inside the board might reduce this horrific ping I've got on this CODE board :(

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 22:52:05 »
I'm more interested if maybe adding some inside the board might reduce this horrific ping I've got on this CODE board :(

It's a bummer that your CODE pings. Mine doesn't at all. Fullsize or tenkeyless?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 07:13:00 »
I'm more interested if maybe adding some inside the board might reduce this horrific ping I've got

This stuff is very dense and only a couple of mm thick, but don't expect it to compress. If there are clearance issues, cut around it. It can be cut with a good pair of strong sharp scissors.

It is also heavy and flexible, so it will lay in the bottom and dampen vibrations under it.

No way to know until you try it.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 08:53:40 »
You still got these?  I would like two that are big enough for a Model F 122.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 11:17:42 »

It's a bummer that your CODE pings. Mine doesn't at all. Fullsize or tenkeyless?

Full size. I posted a video in the CODE thread on the main forum that shows how bad it is. The Filcos that I've had only had very, very slight ringing, but nothing like this. Toss o' the dice, I guess :(

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 12:01:03 »
I'll grab one of these if still available.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 17:20:14 »
Just got mine today! Overall this is exactly what I was looking for. This is perfect for my HHKB on my glass desk (and cheap too).
RETIRED

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 16:02:34 »
All paid orders have been cut and shipped.

I have an odd "L-shaped" piece left that I can probably cut into 1 large and 2 small ones, especially if they are the tiny 4"x14" size for micro keyboards (how do people use those things without even arrow keys?), which I will discount to $8.50.

There will probably be another small-medium piece available to me early next week, so I may be able to make a few more then.

Thanks for your purchases! Harry

Offline osi

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 16:23:33 »
I would like one of these! For HHKB + palm wrest.

Will PM you measurements tomorrow when I get back to my desk--thank you.

Also, this may be an odd question, but does that material have any chemical scentl to it?--being as it is an industrial product. Nothing personal, I'm weird ☺

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 16:33:12 »

Also, this may be an odd question, but does that material have any chemical scentl to it?--being as it is an industrial product. Nothing personal, I'm weird ☺

2nd question I have gotten about smell recently, the first being about the vintage IBM 3-ring binders I have up, with a similar answer.

Answer: If you put your nose right down on it, yes, you can smell it, just like a rubber band. If you could smell it under a keyboard while sitting at a desk, you would have to have a nose like a bloodhound.

And, like most smells, if you gave it a good hot bath in soapy water once a week for a couple of weeks, you could probably eliminate it altogether.

If anybody who has bought one has another observation, I welcome it. I am 61 years old, and I know that my sense of smell is not what it once was, like my eyesight.

Offline osi

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 16:57:13 »

2nd question I have gotten about smell recently, the first being about the vintage IBM 3-ring binders I have up, with a similar answer.

Answer: If you put your nose right down on it, yes, you can smell it, just like a rubber band. If you could smell it under a keyboard while sitting at a desk, you would have to have a nose like a bloodhound.

And, like most smells, if you gave it a good hot bath in soapy water once a week for a couple of weeks, you could probably eliminate it altogether.

If anybody who has bought one has another observation, I welcome it. I am 61 years old, and I know that my sense of smell is not what it once was, like my eyesight.

That seems perfectly acceptable. Thank you for the feedback.

To get a better picture of why I asked, a little story. I like red bull, I'm a fan but I'll never leave the empty can  in my trash. Always in an external trash, has to be!

:o

Offline toasterburn

• Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 11:01:42 »
Do you have any more of these? And would it fit an extended ibm model m?

Mine slides too much, looking to cut down on that. Thanks.

Offline osi

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 11:57:44 »
Just got in my mat and it is a perfect fit for the board and the palm rest. More importantly, the mat is performing exactly how I need it to on the glass surface that keyboard and palm rest reside on. Also it provides an ever so slight difference in the feel of the board, in a good way by being less jarring and dampens the vibration. Not that I had any complaints in that department beforehand.

Thanks Foghat!!

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • snoozing
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 12:29:01 »
Also got my mat today and it's awesome! Really strong and a perfect fit! Can strongly recommend this!  :thumb:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline toasterburn

• Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 13:22:35 »
Got my mat yesterday. Fits perfectly, and really cuts down on the sliding. A++++++++++

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 May 2014, 14:34:41 by fohat.digs »

Offline rosslerosa

• MF DOOM
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 16:10:30 »
I just wanted to know if you knew how much is would be to ship to Toronto Canada, I am interested in buying one.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 20:10:36 »
Just wanted to post and say thanks for the mat. Works great with the HHKB!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 12:58:54 »
I got 2 more cut-offs of the material today. I will be able to make up to a dozen more mats.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 16:13:39 »
Shameless bump. Sold a couple on ebay.

I wish I knew how to make these "prettier" the tough look may be a problem for some people.

Being an industrial product, they have what look like faint irregular stripes but do not affect their use. I wish that I could dye them a consistent deep black.

Offline cheesedgrate

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 01:24:04 »
Shameless bump. Sold a couple on ebay.

I wish I knew how to make these "prettier" the tough look may be a problem for some people.

Being an industrial product, they have what look like faint irregular stripes but do not affect their use. I wish that I could dye them a consistent deep black.

PM'd for a quote

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 07:39:08 »
PM'd for a quote

The only inquiry I have gotten recently was from Bill Nye. Are you his alter ego?

Tell me the size you want in inches or centimeters, and your address.

People say "send me one for a (X) keyboard" but I have realized that there are literally hundreds of sizes and shapes out there.

Also, do you want it to match the footprint exactly, or just slightly undersized so that it does not show, or slightly oversized so that a little border does show?

I have about 3-4 irregular-shaped pieces that I can cut a few more from, 1-3 from each piece depending on what size.

Thanks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:36:53 »
I opened a Heatware account as fohat.digs

Let me know if you want to trade positive feedback there, or do the "notify" thing.