Author Topic: Going to give making caps a shot. Interest check and preview.  (Read 87505 times)

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
Re: Going to give making caps a shot. Interest check and preview.
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 12:43:12 »
I'm really digging your colors Dodgy, can't wait to see what else you end up pulling out.
;)

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 17:54:53 »
My last go at the micro-beads for a little while, not really working out the way I had hoped they would.
And, finally I managed to catch that red tint that comes out when the light hits it at the right angle.
57590-057592-1

Thanks again for all the kind words all, much appreciated, as always.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 March 2014, 17:56:34 by Dodgy »
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 18:17:35 »
My last go at the micro-beads for a little while, not really working out the way I had hoped they would.
And, finally I managed to catch that red tint that comes out when the light hits it at the right angle.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

The keys on the far left and far right look the best. The purple one looks like his face is exploding though.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 02:12:12 »

The keys on the far left and far right look the best. The purple one looks like his face is exploding though.
Yeah, some look better than others. They all look just a little too cluttered with them though. Maybe a different cap design will suit these effects better, I'm not sure these are the right fit.
I'm going to keep playing with marbleized styles for a little while, I like my results so far.
Also, I've started price shopping for a pressure pot, any suggestions/tips?
Sale Thread

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 04:07:02 »
I'd love to see the microbead brain in the robot design :). I have no clue what I'm talking about, but would it be possible to drop them in a tiny mold, and then drop that whole thing later into the key's mold?

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 04:54:23 »
I have mixed feelings about the beads, what are your thoughts on how they look in real life? I can't tell if I find them cool or intrusive :P
;)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 11:36:35 »
I feel life the beads would look much better by putting just a few in there.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Exroath

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 14:45:04 »
Loving that cyan to clear to yellow..

Would love to buy a couple :D

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 19:54:34 »

Yeah, some look better than others. They all look just a little too cluttered with them though. Maybe a different cap design will suit these effects better, I'm not sure these are the right fit.
I'm going to keep playing with marbleized styles for a little while, I like my results so far.
Also, I've started price shopping for a pressure pot, any suggestions/tips?

It's not cheap but the pressure devices MKAWA are the only ones I trust in my home.  Be good to yourself, get a quote, and save up for the peace of mind and performance.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 18:53:31 »
Dude you need to sell these, even if they are not perfect, as long as they are solid and stable and hold up I bet MANY people will buy them here

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 21:41:13 »
Thanks to all for their support, much appreciated, as always.

I'm starting to think towards a small release in the near future. No set dates in my head just yet, and more likely will be a beta/test round to get opinions & critique.

I plan to keep all info in this thread for the time being, so just keep an eye out here for any info as I get closer to the mark.

Sale Thread

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 22:17:12 »
Do you ever plan on doing any Topre? I can send you a key to use for a mold if you're interested.
;)

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:04:11 »
Do you ever plan on doing any Topre? I can send you a key to use for a mold if you're interested.

As a Realforce owner and knowing that it's only a matter of time before I take the plunge for a HHKB, yep definitely planning on doing Topre keys in the future. I do need some keys to work with though, I should take a look at EK tonight and see what I can pick up.

Just home from work, time to start casting!
Sale Thread

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 02:16:35 »
I'd love to see a rainbow of Misters across a HHKB :P
;)

Offline Momokins

• Ever wonder why Candy Castle is made of icecream?
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 03:33:50 »
I keep reading through these threads about making keycaps and they make me really want to give it a try.

...I only just got my first mechanical keyboard too... what has this place done to me?! I lurked for too long and now it's infected my soul forever. D: I feel like soon I'm going to have a keyboard covered in custom keycaps... so many that I'll be forced to buy a new keyboard... a vicious cycle is approaching T_T
Just who the hell do you think I am?! ♥

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 19:19:19 »
Honey Lavender!
57902-0
Sale Thread

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 19:24:29 »
I keep reading through these threads about making keycaps and they make me really want to give it a try.

...I only just got my first mechanical keyboard too... what has this place done to me?! I lurked for too long and now it's infected my soul forever. D: I feel like soon I'm going to have a keyboard covered in custom keycaps... so many that I'll be forced to buy a new keyboard... a vicious cycle is approaching T_T
Your already doomed. Just accept it so you can start enjoying it.

Honey Lavender!
(Attachment Link)
I like the lavender a lot. Though you only ever post those two keycap models. Did you give up on the tall cap you made before? I thought it looked very nice, especially that multi layered coloured one. He was one of my favourite keys you posted. :'(

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 19:30:19 »
He's getting some fine tuning, and actually being molded right now, I don't know if I'll have any casts to show of him tonight, but probably in the next day or two. Don't worry, he's not forgotten!
Sale Thread

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 19:31:27 »
Hoorah! Can't wait.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 19:54:37 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 22:39:57 »
Foxy!
57913-0
This changes from teal to rose red, depending on how the light is hitting it
57917-1
Sale Thread

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 23:16:39 »
Foxy!
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

TRANSLUCENT ORANGE FOX HOLY **** I NEED THIS RIGHT NOW DUDE
;)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:05:28 »
Foxy!
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Looks nice. I'm fond of that green trans fox, though I think one in white would also look very nice.
Nice work on the molds, though I think they right side of the fox could use some more detail. It looks to flat.

Offline Momokins

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:15:39 »

Your already doomed. Just accept it so you can start enjoying it.

You're right... I can't even argue. The cycle has begun~

Foxy!
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Those foxy caps are the cutest things ever. EVER. I also really like that merged colour look from teal to rose, does the angle affect the colour that you can see by a lot? Hard to tell from the photos. ^^

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:24:47 »
Yeah, depending on the light in the room or where it's coming from the difference can be night and day.
Sale Thread

Offline Momokins

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:31:03 »
Yeah, depending on the light in the room or where it's coming from the difference can be night and day.

That's awesome. I'm really looking forward to seeing what other colour combinations and stuff that you come up with - you really seem to have an eye for this stuff :3

Great work so far, sir! c:

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:36:16 »

That's awesome. I'm really looking forward to seeing what other colour combinations and stuff that you come up with - you really seem to have an eye for this stuff :3

Great work so far, sir! c:

Thanks very much. I love the process of mixing colors and creating effects in the casts. My biggest problem right now is bubble free casts, even with degassing, I'm still having difficulty keeping bubbles out of the stems or walls of the caps.
While I want to believe that this will ALL be fixed by a pressure pot, my gut tells me I can figure out a reasonable solution without immediately needing one- we'll see.
Got some new fillers in the mail today, should have some cool experiments by the end of tonight.
Sale Thread

Offline Momokins

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 16:46:07 »
Thanks very much. I love the process of mixing colors and creating effects in the casts. My biggest problem right now is bubble free casts, even with degassing, I'm still having difficulty keeping bubbles out of the stems or walls of the caps.
While I want to believe that this will ALL be fixed by a pressure pot, my gut tells me I can figure out a reasonable solution without immediately needing one- we'll see.
Got some new fillers in the mail today, should have some cool experiments by the end of tonight.

I'm sure you can figure something temporary out that will work most of the time, then once you have a pressure pot you can post like "LOOK AT ME WITH MY BUBBLE-FREE CAPS!" and we'll all be like ":0!! The best!" and everyone will be happy - especially you. That's the aim here! ;)

I'll be looking forward to photos of your experiments; I have an addiction and it needs to be fed with more awesome keycaps! D:

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:17:32 »

Bubbles are something you can mostly fix, but they will always pop up when you don't want them.. Lots of factors affect gas collection in a mold.

Three things you can do prior to casting to assist your molds.

1) Wash your molds with a base detergent like... unscented laundry detergent.
2) Heat a dry mold to about 265 deg for 10-15 minutes before applying release agent.
3) Do not over-mix your urethane (not a problem with degassing) and make sure you pour in a timely fashion.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:46:27 »

Bubbles are something you can mostly fix, but they will always pop up when you don't want them.. Lots of factors affect gas collection in a mold.

Three things you can do prior to casting to assist your molds.

1) Wash your molds with a base detergent like... unscented laundry detergent.
2) Heat a dry mold to about 265 deg for 10-15 minutes before applying release agent.
3) Do not over-mix your urethane (not a problem with degassing) and make sure you pour in a timely fashion.

Hmm, I'll definitely try washing the molds with detergent, I haven't been doing that.
I think I'm going to try adding sprues to the base of the stem- not exactly sure how yet though.
Sale Thread

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 23:32:10 »
Sparkle sparkle!
58167-0
Sale Thread

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 00:19:56 »
What resin have you been using for the transparent casts? They look really neat, I'm on the edge of my seat to buy some :D
;)

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 00:28:51 »
What resin have you been using for the transparent casts? They look really neat, I'm on the edge of my seat to buy some :D

Well, I use a couple different types from different companies. A lot depends on your climate and humidity in your area, so experimenting with a few different brands isn't a bad idea. I would only recommend purchasing from companies that give detail about their products- by that I mean, I've been in art supply stores that have these translucent resins that have literally no information about the contents on the packaging, that's a big red flag for me. Most websites will also offer documentation for their products, and very specific information about what's in them, their mixing ratios, and their respective "personalities".
But to answer your question, lately I've been using Polytek resins a lot, they have been so far very enjoyable to work with.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're having trouble making a choice on what to buy, and do some research on what the different characteristics are, and what they mean to you (pour time, viscosity, demold time, curing temperature, etc..)

I would recommend that whatever you get, don't get a ton of it, or spend too much money. You'll learn very quickly as you work with your first resin that you might want something that behaves a little bit different, like longer working time, or lower viscosity- things like that.

Also, by my experience so far, translucent resins are more difficult to work with. They're typically much thicker liquids, which makes it much harder to get bubblefree casts even if you're degassing before pouring, and they also take a substantially longer time to cure than most opaque curing resins- and often require post curing with heat or heated molds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 March 2014, 00:32:03 by Dodgy »
Sale Thread

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 08:42:03 »
Sparkle sparkle!
(Attachment Link)

I want one. Please tell me you plan on selling these soon, They would look AWESOME with my backlit KB

Offline wasabah

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 09:35:19 »
Wow, awesome caps!! Keep 'em coming!! :D
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:56:26 »
Sparkle sparkle!
(Attachment Link)

I want one. Please tell me you plan on selling these soon, They would look AWESOME with my backlit KB

Probably next week I'll be letting some go. Waiting on a few things in the mail that I need first, like packaging and things.
Sale Thread

Offline Momokins

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 14:04:03 »
Probably next week I'll be letting some go. Waiting on a few things in the mail that I need first, like packaging and things.

Next week?! I think it might be time to scrounge up some money from somewhere!

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 11:30:36 »
58342-0
Sale Thread

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 12:37:36 »
(Attachment Link)
I hate colours like this. Not because they look bad, but because they are impossible to take good pictures of. They always just produce so much glare. I'll just assume they look awesome in person though! ;D

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 13:11:53 »
(Attachment Link)
I hate colours like this. Not because they look bad, but because they are impossible to take good pictures of. They always just produce so much glare. I'll just assume they look awesome in person though! ;D

They look just like a green glow stick, super vibrant and colorful, and then have the confetti floating inside- my camera just doesn't come close to doing them justice.
Got some new RTV in today, excited to try it out, should give me some much improved casts.
Sale Thread

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 13:21:12 »
(Attachment Link)

They look just like a green glow stick, super vibrant and colorful, and then have the confetti floating inside- my camera just doesn't come close to doing them justice.
Got some new RTV in today, excited to try it out, should give me some much improved casts.
Is it brighter then the green on binges absinthe caps?

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 13:41:15 »
(Attachment Link)

Is it brighter then the green on binges absinthe caps?
Well, it's a different type of green. This is more of a fluorescent/neon green, the Absinthe cap I have from Binge is a different color altogether (more of a deep, rich, natural green) if I'm remembering it well enough. I'll have to take a look at it tonight when I'm home from work, I'll get back to you on that.
Sale Thread

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 20:47:00 »
58757-0
Sale Thread

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 20:59:19 »
(Attachment Link)
It's hard to tell in the picture, are the yellow stripes also transparent, or are they solid. I think solid stripes would be a really cool effect. When you put it on a backlit key the light would disperse in cool patterns.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:21:03 »
Orange cap with solid fluorescent marbling. Right now, I think this is one of the nicest effects I've done- in person it's really beautiful.
I've been sick with a stomach bug this week so I've done very little casting, just getting back onto my feet today, so I haven't done much the past few days.
Sale Thread

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:28:41 »
Orange cap with solid fluorescent marbling. Right now, I think this is one of the nicest effects I've done- in person it's really beautiful.
I've been sick with a stomach bug this week so I've done very little casting, just getting back onto my feet today, so I haven't done much the past few days.
That sucks. Hope you feel better.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:39:59 »
Really loving this new design. I know backlit keyboards aren't everybody's thing, but these look spectacular on one.
Sorry, didn't have time to trim up the one in the first pic, had to get into bed.
58788-0 58790-1
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:45:35 by Dodgy »
Sale Thread

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:30:35 »
59140-0

Edit: Damnit- rotating now...
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:35:55 by Dodgy »
Sale Thread

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:35:29 »
Really loving this new design. I know backlit keyboards aren't everybody's thing, but these look spectacular on one.
Sorry, didn't have time to trim up the one in the first pic, had to get into bed.
The stuff you didn't trim looks like ominous smoke. As for backlit keyboards, I think they can look nice if done in style. I have a backlit poker, but only the mods and number row are backlit, and it looks quite nice.

(Attachment Link)

This looks really good, even if they are sideways. :p

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:35:57 »
Any new designs in the work? Love the textures and colors you're coming up with, by the way :D
;)