Author Topic: Custom Dell AT102W Redesign  (Read 8187 times)

Offline Paranoid

Custom Dell AT102W Redesign
« on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 06:12:27 »
Redesigning an ALPS board by Paranoid.

Since discovering mechanical keyboards a few of my first boards were ALPS. The first encounter with ALPS was pretty interesting. I typed on a few black ALPS boards, some typed better than others. I also tried White ALPS from a Nan-Tan, Cream ALPS from a AT102 and unexpectedly found a board with Blue ALPS. I must say, they really do type nicely.

Now, the form factor of the Dell boards was another thing. In my opinion, it's not the best looking older board. So I toyed with the idea of making a case for it. After seeing a lot of DIY projects I decided to try it myself.

v0.1
In the summer, about a year ago, I figured why not cut a frame out myself. Well, that's what I did but the result wasn't all that satisfying.

More

So when reaching this result I found a fab-lab nearby where I'd have access to a laser cutter for free. Finding time besides work to do this was not so easy and it's on a first come first serve basis, but eventually I got there.

I measured the cut-outs of the Dell and made my 2D drawings based on that. For everything to fit in the case a few modifications were necessary, like cutting the steel plate because it's too big and standing up edges which needed to disappear.
Since this was my prototype in MDF I painted the plate white since that's a pretty clean match. For switches I used Matias Tactile switches which I ordered from 7bit. The caps are a mix of caps from a Tulip (DS caps), Dell AT102W and AT102 (presumably dye-subs)
As you might notice I use BE AZERTY. Finding good boards in this layout is not so easy but I managed to get it on all of my boards so far.

I was possitively surprised with the result. Unfortunately the measurements were not perfect and needed some fine-tuning. The way the case would be held together and how the pcb/plate would be fixated still needed to be properly defined.

v0.2
A while had passed since v0.1 but many weeks later I decided to just go for it and try to finish the design during one weekend. So, that's what I did.
Cutting the plates was a success and it fitted nearly perfect straight away. After this there some manual work was still required like countersinking the holes and aligning the pcb onto the bottom plate.
I also wanted a detachable cable since I didn't want to hack and slash the original cable so I put in a mini-usb breakout board.
To finish it off I made a custom cable which matches the custom keycap I made a while back and I also put in some 3mm red LEDs. You might have noticed that I laser etched the ALPS logo togheter with a switch on there as well :)

As far as the typing goes I wasn't quite convinced at first with the Matias switches, but this was when the board was completely flat on the table. Placing the feet under there has made a world of difference and it types way smoother. There is still quite some unavoidable wobble though.

Overall I'm happy with the result. Maybe some things could have gone easier and really small details could have been better but this was enough to start making the awesome final version of this.

v1.0
Making the final version: I wanted to go all out on this one!
First thing I had to do was finding another Dell and de-soldering everything. Second step is cutting the plate with precision and finishing it with some filing and sanding. I wanted the plate to look nice and be protected at the same time so I spray painted it with decent black paint.

To top it of I used a carbon vinyl on the top. Cutting out the holes took some time but it was worth it, it looks stunning! It might be a little over the top for some people but you can't really see it that much when it's put together. It's a nice little detail when you're looking closely at the board.

More

I had already cut the case but this time in PMMA (plexi). The top and bottom layers are in black and the middle layers are transparent. The top features some cut-outs for the LEDs.
For switches I used Blue ALPS combined with Matias Clicky ALPS to complete the board. The keycaps come from a hard to find Toshiba T5200 and a black DellAT102W for the modifiers. About four black keys are not correct but it's the best I can do for now.

Since this is the all out version I put in a Teensy so I can program the board with TMK software. And it wouldn't be complete if I didn't include a matching custom cable.
I'm still waiting on my black screws for the case but these will do for now.

More

What could've gone better? Well, the logo cut-outs were pretty difficult because the laser couldn't get that detailed so I had to test this a few times. I found out the hard way that the transparent plexi is much more fragile than the black one so a few adjustments should be made here. And like a said, maybe the cut-outs could be a tiny bit improved to make it even everywhere. But I noticed this isn't even perfect in expensive custom cases.

So that's it. I hoped you enjoyed this redesign!

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
Re: Custom Dell AT102W Redesign
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 06:21:18 »
The final result looks absolutely stellar. Very impressive work.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 06:23:32 »
Looks amazing! Really nice work!!! Though a coiled cable would be a cool thing you could change :P

Offline matt303

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 07:55:27 »
Wow, nice job.  :thumb:

I've an AT102W my wife got me from her work, unfortunately two rows of the keys have yellowed (must have been different batch from rest) :(

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 08:23:55 »
Really slick work! I'm very impressed, and you seem to have done a great job with these.

Offline CatNip :3

• bouncy bouncy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:48:58 »
DAYYYYYYYYYM. That's nice. :D The second one looks like a Das with the piano black finish. :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:53:26 »
Holy **** thats sexy :thumb:

But I like the stock Dell case better :))

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:59:09 »
Wow.  Just wow.  Even the MDF version was awesome.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 22:59:04 »
Wow.  Just wow.  Even the MDF version was awesome.

Totally agree the MDF was stellar, if you stuck to finishing the keyboard case out of Cherry wood or Walnut then you would have something here that would be talked about for some time.

There is very little design and manufacture of wooden cases for keyboards, hence why not make that happen instead of more aluminum and plastic.

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 04:24:04 »
Wow...just wow...old board in a new body is always something cool to watch :) congrats, your ALPS family looks awesome :) And I see you went with similar ALPS logo design as in my sig xD

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 04:44:46 »
Thanks guys! Spent a lot of time on it so it's nice to see that it's liked :)

Regarding the wood case, a full proper wood case would be cool but I have no idea where you could find thin sheets of real wood unless you want to CNC the case, and I don't have acces to that ^^ That's also a completely different workflow, and it would be quite more costly.

And yes DamnDan, that's exactly where I got my inspiration from! :D I saw that a couple of months ago and couldn't remember who used this, although I knew it was from Paramount Pictures. But I created my own out of a vector template. Your logo would be way to detailed anyway to lasercut as I see it again now :) But thanks for the inspiration ;)

Offline pasph

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 04:55:08 »
Stunning work!
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 06:52:45 »
These are amazing, great job Paranoid!

Offline Grimey

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 10:01:18 »
Very nice thanks for sharing, it is always nice to see someone hacking a old mechanical keyboard apart for a change. 
Erlang your pants off

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 11:45:48 »
Damn man, both cases look super clean! I like the logos too!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 13:04:31 »
wow, we need more of this on geekhack

Offline divito

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 13:16:15 »
So nice, wow.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 08:57:10 »
It looks really really nice, you are a true GHer.  ;)
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline SoullessWhale

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 01:36:08 »
I have a board Im totally ready to do this to but dont have any sort of know how or equipment to do so.

but that wood one is literally perfect to me. Job well done.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 04:09:54 »
I need to learn how to do that. I've so far moved switches around, messed with internals of switches, and done rit for pbt keys. But nothing like that. I even have extra AEKII's I could use for this, or do it to one of my space invaders just so its case isn't so gigantic, etc.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline goonx

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 23:49:45 »
this is amazing work.

Would you be able to share your laser cutting file?

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 00:57:37 »
This looks really great.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 08:55:39 »
this is amazing work.

Would you be able to share your laser cutting file?

Yes I'm planning to share them but I'm swamped with work so I didn't get around to it yet. Also bear in mind that the design is not perfect. You'd still need to do some manual work or even do some measuring and adjust the files if necessary.
When I get around to it, I'll post it here.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 08:57:28 »
Nice work Paranoid, this all looks great!

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:08:25 »
Wow, this is truly amazing. Makes me even more interested in pursuing making a custom board myself :P
;)

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:34:11 »
Wow, this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on GH!

Makes me want to try Alps.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 15:29:38 »
freaking awesome stuff mate :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 18:50:45 »
Wow that is totally clean, dang.
I love Elzy

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 19:22:50 »
So cool  :eek: