Author Topic: New Keyboard at work $40 Rosewill RK-6000  (Read 7163 times)

Offline scottfree

New Keyboard at work $40 Rosewill RK-6000
« on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 14:12:30 »
Just received a new Rosewill RK-6000, I was given a $50 budget by my company and (at $40+shipping) this was the only mechanical that fit the bill.

Overall, I love it!  It uses ALPS Simplified (or clones) clicky and tactile key switches.  They are supposed to be like Cherry blues but there are two things I noticed on them, one the feel lighter then Cherries, and they feel less solid then Cherries or the ALPS Complicated I have at home on my Dell AT101w.

I have only two complaints:
1) The big enter, I prefer a large backspace and \,| key with a small enter
2) The plungers on the key switches feel loose, if you put your finger on a key you can move it side to side.

I've attached pics in case anyone else is considering buying one.  For the money (especially if it is on sale for $40 (its $50 now)), it is hard to beat.  In fact, if I see it on sale again soon I am considering buying one for the house (not to replace the Dell, but for another computer).

Quick question, can anyone give a definitive ID on the key switches?  The only marks on them are Axx (where xx seems to be a random number, different on most keys like A19,A32).  I would like to buy 3-5 just to have in case they go bad.
Dell AT101W at home
Rosewill RK-6000 at work

Offline scottfree

Re: New Keyboard at work $40 Rosewill RK-6000
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 14:16:51 »
Sorry about the shaky pics, I did not realize how bad they where.
Dell AT101W at home
Rosewill RK-6000 at work

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 14:32:40 »
Going off your description of the switch being clicky and tactile I'm guessing: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Simplified_Alps_Type_III

CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 14:34:13 »
Quick question, can anyone give a definitive ID on the key switches?  The only marks on them are Axx (where xx seems to be a random number, different on most keys like A19,A32).  I would like to buy 3-5 just to have in case they go bad.

I agree with MsYutai, I think they're the simplified Alps Type III switches. However, they could also be Tai Hao APC switches.

Offline scottfree

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 14:46:44 »
I'm inclined to think its the APCs, based upon the Axx numbering and the fact that the keyboard in this pic is identical down to the orange rubberized gaming keys (that mine came with but I do not use).

But, the pic says that the keys are clicky, but does not say if they are tactile, and mine are tactile.
Dell AT101W at home
Rosewill RK-6000 at work

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 14:47:54 »
I would be interested in buying this board but only if it's possible to change it to ANSI instead of ISO. Does anyone know if that's possible? XD

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 14:51:08 »
I would be interested in buying this board but only if it's possible to change it to ANSI instead of ISO. Does anyone know if that's possible? XD

But it's already in ANSI? Do you mean you want to convert it to the normal enter? I don't think it's going to be very easy. Finding a Alps compatabile enter to fit might be a challenge. Then you'll probably have to hand wire the switch and may have issues with PCB interference. But if you want it bad enough, it's possible. Check out this thread from DT.

Offline Rena

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 14:56:45 »
Going off your description of the switch being clicky and tactile I'm guessing: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Simplified_Alps_Type_III
Though it says there those types of switches were only in the FK-2001, unless that page of the wiki is outdated, or wrong or something.

Either way, I wonder how these simplified blues compare to the actual thing. I'd be interested in trying to get this board if it's still a close typing experience to the actual alps switches.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 15:44:03 »
Wow, nice find. I didn't know anyone but Matias was still making Alps switch boards! I agree it's a shame about the bigass enter. Unfortunately it seems that's almost always there on Alps switch boards. It's like they never got a shipment of IBM Model M keyboards in Taiwan, so they kept on using the F AT layout.

Within the past few years there was an Alps switch board released called the abs M1 with a normal enter key. You may be able to score one of those if you're patient enough.

There's also the Dell AT101w. It's a bit old school, but pretty easily found on eBay, especially in beige. Welcome to the Alps appreciation club!

Offline Grimey

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 19:53:25 »
That is one monster left control key.  Thanks for sharing, it was interested to see these re-branded as Rosewills.
Erlang your pants off

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 20:17:31 »
Looks like another member of the Tai Hao F21-7D family, in which case it will be using APC switches.

It seems like ALPS-style switches are here to stay in terms of bringing up the bottom end of the market. In addition to the various rebrandings of this keyboard, there are some ultra cheap keyboards with ALPS-style switches that came out pretty recently...so far, I've only seen them on TaoBao, but it may only be a matter of time before they start showing up on eBay and similar outlets (probably for an inflated price).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Reckthor

• PC Stuff
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 20:25:20 »
Thanks for sharing I was curious about this board for awhile now.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 20:33:50 »
It is ANSI layout with big enter and big control. Interesting for the price. Is there a small footprint version?

Offline morpheus

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 22:47:23 »
Can you do a typing test video? I just want to hear the sound. Just curious.

Nice find though!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 08:43:24 »
I just found the Rosewill Micro for 149, it is not cheap but it has a great layout.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 08:46:23 »
I just found the Rosewill Micro for 149, it is not cheap but it has a great layout.

For those who aren't sure what ideus is referring to, check out this link. I thought it was a rebranded Tex. There's some discussion here.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 09:00:21 »
Rebranded or not, it is a very nice board for that price.

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 10:19:26 »
Wish my company would buy me a keyboard.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 10:33:25 »
I prefer to buy my own boards with no restrictions.

Offline ClarusWorks

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 11:59:18 »

Same here.  My employer (who I'm not trying to bash, they're a great company to work for)'s policy is 'special' keyboards for people who have a medical excuse or go through some ergonomics survey and whoever does that decides they need a better keyboard, and these nasty rubber domes that I can't believe cost $25 for everyone else.  Those keyboards are terrible, many of my coworkers don't even bother using them since our company-issued laptops are ThinkPads that have just about the best keyboard you'll find in a laptop.  Rather than jump through hoops, I just bought another Unicomp EnduraPro and keep that on my desk.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 12:17:58 »

Same here.  My employer (who I'm not trying to bash, they're a great company to work for)'s policy is 'special' keyboards for people who have a medical excuse or go through some ergonomics survey and whoever does that decides they need a better keyboard, and these nasty rubber domes that I can't believe cost $25 for everyone else.  Those keyboards are terrible, many of my coworkers don't even bother using them since our company-issued laptops are ThinkPads that have just about the best keyboard you'll find in a laptop.  Rather than jump through hoops, I just bought another Unicomp EnduraPro and keep that on my desk.

Sure. It is very easy to understand that very few, if any, company may be willing to pay hundreds for a keyboard, or may invest such kind of money for all their employees. Unless the CEO were a GHer I don't think that will happen.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 12:23:17 »
always love to see ALPS!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline scottfree

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 12:20:10 »
Can you do a typing test video? I just want to hear the sound. Just curious.

Nice find though!

I only have it at work, and I cannot do that on the clock, but I will say that it is quieter than a Cherry Blues, but not by much.

After typing on it for a couple weeks, I really like it.  For comparison, it feels and sounds like it was intended to compete with cherry blues, but the springs are lighter and its a bit quieter.

I am starting to wonder how I ever lived without tactile keys.
Dell AT101W at home
Rosewill RK-6000 at work

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 23:28:12 »
The original complicated Alps switches started appearing as early as 1983. The Cherry MX line came out in 1985. I find Alps really different than any other switch. The super high activation point and snappy feel are really nice for typing.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 17:01:55 »
Hey all I just picked up this board from someone on /r/hardwareswap.

I definitely like the feel of the switches!! Coming from MX Reds they don't feel so hard to press (lighter than MX Blues), and the clicky+tactile combination is so great for typing.
The click from these switches are less annoying than the higher pitched MX Blues click, imo.

Though as I speculated earlier on in the thread, the 1x backspace button is annoying as all hell. I definitely keep hitting the '\' button.

My ultimate goal is to transplant the switches into a different board with a normal Enter and Backspace, like the Dell AT101w. Any reasons why this wouldn't work?

Between now and then though I need to learn how to solder...  :-X